Awoo.

My Little Pony's Justice 2 - Official MLP Thread v2

Sean

On 12/2/2018 at 6:28 PM, DabigRG said:

If you could tweak a couple of things about this show, what would they be, how would they affect things, and why?

I think it's rather obvious who I primarily wanted to address with this prompt, but since that's so inherently complicated and comprehensive, I'm going to save her for another time(s). Instead, I'm going to talk about a similar aspect; a character that, perhaps unintentionally but conveniently, is a rather isolated discussion: Stygian.

I'll go ahead and say that I have a somewhat charitable take when I say I was actually fine with the character's story. The idea of him once being a close comrade to someone as legendary as Starswirl the Bearded, only to end up inadvertently causing the end of those friendships and only being vaguely remembered as the dreaded Pony of Shadows due to his near envious feelings of inadequacy in such a dangerous time period is a special kind of fall. With that said, there are a select few, minor changes I’d make to how the character’s arc goes:

• ·         Make him an Earth pony. This might be a superfluous design change, but the whole point was that he lacked the special powers or abilities of his former comrades. Having him be an Earth pony who even lacks basic physical fitting would make that point extra apparent, not mention avoid just having him be yet another unicorn.
  • ·         Either remove the other pillars from the episode (unless there was something that was previously explicit about them disappearing) or downplay their involvement in Starswirl’s efforts somewhat. I think the later would be the best compromise, given the final change and the later episodes/issues featuring them.
  • ·         This one is optional, but maybe don’t have this be “The Pony of Shadows.” Now admittedly, the name fits really well as a distinguisher and as far as I know, there’s not much about his existence beyond the Mane Six’s paranoia in Castlemania. But given the way the episode proper played out, it probably would’ve been better not to call him that for some.
  • ·         And the final biggest change, he should be lost at the end of the finale. Stygian—nay, the Pony of Shadows-- should’ve ultimately failed to separate himself from The Shadows, if not outright refused to do so. What’s funny is that it feels like this was almost what was gonna happen: Twilight enters the abyss after spotting him within it and leads him to sincerely explain his original intentions with stealing the artifacts, with Starswirl being taken aback while hearing this explanation. He then goes on to state that the Pillars threw him out and that The Shadows welcomed him when no one else would. Beginning to transform, he declares that he intends to do what he must to protect it; he even maintains that things can’t be fixed when Starlight attempts to convince that Twilight can help him and Starswirl rekindle things. Oddly enough, though, Twilight claims that Stygian does want to stop, but that The Shadows won’t let him after Starlight gets her out of it, which prompts the reinvigorated Starswirl to declare that they must help him. The episode should’ve still featured the struggle to pull him out, overlapped with Starswirl’s  admitting that he was wrong and there’s still time. Stygian, after a de-fanging moment of realizing that Starswirl is truly interested in saving him, ultimately resigns by saying that there isn’t; the Elements lose their grip due to Stygian finally being sucked into the closing portal to limbo.

The episode would thus end on a tragic note, with Starswirl, Twilight, and Starlight feeling the need to apologize to each other for their part in things going down the way they did but being consoled that each of their intentions and concerns were mostly coming from the right place. Starswirl’s departure can end on the note that he intends to take what he finally learned into account as a sign that there’s still much studying for even an old stallion like him; maybe even including a hint that he intends to find a way to save Stygian one day.

• 2 weeks later...

Silver's statement regarding the supporting cast being the weakest link definitely struck me, especially with his comments on the adults.

As much as I ragged on Celestia, she at least has shown more moments of competence and helpfulness than her EQG counterpart.

48 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Silver's statement regarding the supporting cast being the weakest link definitely struck me, especially with his comments on the adults.

As much as I ragged on Celestia, she at least has shown more moments of competence and helpfulness than her EQG counterpart.

Ah, so that popped up on your phone's Youtube page too, eh?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Ah, so that popped up on your phone's Youtube page too, eh?

Yeah, some of the commets are about how he just made the video in time for 2018. Wonder if he'll do Everfree next year. How is the general reception of that film if you know?

1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

Yeah, some of the commets are about how he just made the video in time for 2018. Wonder if he'll do Everfree next year. How is the general reception of that film if you know?

If Lily Orchard is any indication, good, but relatively just okay.

• The title was changed to My Little: Pony's Justice - Official MLP Thread v2
  • 2 weeks later...

I should get back to assessing and sharing ways to revise more things sometimes.

I should also maybe considering watching the show again because what even happened.

26 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

https://trixiebooru.org/1956010?q=spring+breakdown

So the Spring Break special, Spring Breakdown (jojoke anyone) is airing March 30.

Huh. Kay then. 

There are also some shorts floating around Youtube as well.

A 3D/CG animated movie?

If that's true, I'm 90% certain it's gonna be start of next generation. No one makes a first movie 2D and second 3D

1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

Is it the same people who did the first one?

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

Gag me with a fucking spoon.

Oh fucking wow...!  Step down, Mighty No 9.

EDIT: Oh, that's a featured article. Nevermind.

Clicking on it, though, what is the rating of this site?

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

A 3D/CG animated movie?

If that's true, I'm 90% certain it's gonna be start of next generation. No one makes a first movie 2D and second 3D

I'm sure there's an example out there somewhere. After all, 2d is apparently more expensive than 3d.

If we're going off those leaked documents from a year back, this movie is indeed going to be ringing in Gen 5. Also remember reading somewhere that only the movie is going to be in 3D and that the actual series to follow would be in 2D. Though staff members were raising concerns about introducing a brand new show like that only to re-introduce it again right after with a new animation style so that could mean that the new show itself might be 3D animated too . Though, that was well over a year ago so I fully expect some of those details to have changed (and continue to change really since we're this far out).

A bit surprised at that 2021 date though. With season 9 supposedly being the end of G4 and presumably airing in full by the end of this year/ early next year, that's a bit of a gap to have; though only if G4 is going to play any role in it. If it's just going to go all in on G5 then the gap makes sense.

So how do you think Gen V would differentiate itself from Gen IV? Knowing our luck they’ll probably try to make lightning strike twice and go with a version of Gen IV 2.0, but I kinda think it would help to make the series a serialized Fantasy Adventure with some occasional slice of life elements for slower episodes. It would at least help keep it from being too similar.

10 minutes ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

So how do you think Gen V would differentiate itself from Gen IV? Knowing our luck they’ll probably try to make lightning strike twice and go with a version of Gen IV 2.0, but I kinda think it would help to make the series a serialized Fantasy Adventure with some occasional slice of life elements for slower episodes. It would at least help keep it from being too similar.

Maybe introduce human characters without the need of an alternate dimension. 

48 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

That would have been a better reference. 

Oh shoot...what's gonna happen to Spike, Discord, and Starlight?!

15 minutes ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

That is something I've been concerned about since the redesigned Mane Six got out.

I suppose those more traditional, older girl show designs would fit more with an Adventure show.

6 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

Apparently there's rumors that G5 will mostly cater to little girls

Ah, bold new direction I see.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1