Awoo.

My Little Pony's Justice 2 - Official MLP Thread v2

Sean

Y'all think they'll do a sort of Season 10 comic series like with Adventure Time? The only problem is that it could be confusing having that along with the current mainseries.

16 minutes ago, Celestia said:

I was deep in that fandom for five years. In my experience, Sonic fans are nothing in comparison.

I was never too deep, so I will concede to your experience here.

The deepest I got was "Luna is basically shadow so she's my favorite" and looking at how Hasbro's marketing and business  strategy changed due to mlp and the transformers films. So surface level

Watched some episodes,  bout it

• Chuckle 1

1 hour ago, Celestia said:

On one hand I'm excited for that.

On the other hand I fear for his life because going from Sonic fans to bronies is...uhhhh...

I mean it's one toxic group to another so honestly he's probably going to end up doubling the harassment from some of the worst parts.

i quite liked the opening episodes for season 9. it was a bit all over the place and whatnot, but hopefully it'll slow down a little this next episode that is coming out tomorrow. i am excited to see more of cozy glow though. she's one of my favorites to be honest.

Having finally caught up on this show and seen the S9 premiere, I'm wondering...

Spoiler

Is Sombra's untimely demise meant to foreshadow how the villains will be picked off one-by-one throughout the season, or will we get a proper climax with all of them at once? I'm really hoping it's the latter. Sombra was pretty great in his brief return, but I'd rather see Grogar's "use teamwork against the heroes" plan in action.

As for my other hopes for this season, I'd really like to finally get an answer on Spike's origins. I know Father Knows Beast gave a good message about how true family bonds go beyond blood relations, but it'd be nice to at least know how his egg ended up in Canterlot.

3 hours ago, Forte-Metallix said:

Having finally caught up on this show and seen the S9 premiere, I'm wondering...

Hide contents

Is Sombra's untimely demise meant to foreshadow how the villains will be picked off one-by-one throughout the season, or will we get a proper climax with all of them at once? I'm really hoping it's the latter. Sombra was pretty great in his brief return, but I'd rather see Grogar's "use teamwork against the heroes" plan in action.

As for my other hopes for this season, I'd really like to finally get an answer on Spike's origins. I know Father Knows Beast gave a good message about how true family bonds go beyond blood relations, but it'd be nice to at least know how his egg ended up in Canterlot.

True, a fair point indeed. 

I still think they could've just let that guy be his real dad and have his mom be the next big reveal, if that's planned. 

• Thumbs Up 1

So this week’s episode Uprooted focuses on the Student 6 and the demolished Tree of Harmony, two things I barely care about in the show. Though I still prefer it if they just replanted the Golden Oaks Library in place of the ToH and have it come back before series end.

Still this was a rather dull episode. Basically, a rehash of Castle Sweet Castle and not as memorable or good.

The montage of getting the permission slips felt like unnecessary filler and could easily omitted. The premise isn’t interesting for me and the standard plot of the friends bickering each other over how to do things with the one who kept silent having the compromised or overall ‘best’ solution. The students were kinda annoying at parts. Didn’t like the song at all (maybe if there was Mane 6 version it might sound better). Didn't care about the tree coming back as another gaudy castle structure either.

Again, it’s a rather dull one.

Even though this episode was predictable for the most part, I was not expecting that conclusion at all and have to give kudos to the writers on that part!

No doubt they're both doing a season-long arc now and setting it yp for the Student Six to succeed the Mane 6's roles as the elements of harmony after this Season is done!

Really don't have too much to say about this latest episode. Overall... it was very uneventful.

The predictability of it all was pretty laughable at points and the ending really didn't do anything for me. I mean really, now the tree of harmony did yet another ass pull and made itself into a tree house I guess? Like, I knew they were going to bring it back in some way because the show just loves to pull those stupid one-off "have the villain eliminate the powerful thing/ person" moments simply for the shock-value at those given times; those of which never really having any real lasting effects (for better and for worse). That's been a running thing since the first two episodes actually.

So yeah... wasn't too keen on this one. Hopefully this isn't the norm for the season going forward *knocks on wood*.

And side note, I must be missing something here. Was it ever explained how they were holding off the Everfree from destroying everything without the tree? I swear it was never said but this episode acts like it was.

Also... what even IS the Everfree anymore? Every season it seems to get less and less threatening. To the point where now, in this episode, you had characters setting up tour attractions right in the middle of the thing.

Everfree Forset: "Am I a fucking joke to you?"

18 minutes ago, Strickerx5 said:

And side note, I must be missing something here. Was it ever explained how they were holding off the Everfree from destroying everything without the tree? I swear it was never said but this episode acts like it was.

I think they were trying to imply Starswirl has been personally maintaining it, like he and the Pillars did before the Tree was planted. (Except now he's either doing it solo or with the Royal Sisters, who said fighting the forest off with him was the most fun they had in years.)

• Thumbs Up 1

So, last season huh?

I have one demand from writers. Episode about pony who makes tons of friends, but then doesn't really spends time with them, he just wants to have the biggest friend number  possible.

This would be very current subject in time of social media. (And commentary on life of Ash Ketchum.)

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

So, last season huh?

I have one demand from writers. Episode about pony who makes tons of friends, but then doesn't really spends time with them, he just wants to have the biggest friend number  possible.

This would be very current subject in time of social media. (And commentary on life of Ash Ketchum.)

They kind of did that with Friendship Rollercoaster. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

So, last season huh?

7 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

They kind of did that with Friendship Rollercoaster. 

Not to mention almost being Cozy Glow's goal.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, DabigRG said:

What did you think of how this Season Opening characterized Sombra?

Kinda hated it.

They really trying to make Grogar look cool, by undermining previous villains. And yet he looks less scary than in G1 and didn't do anything other than boast how cool he is. (Plus he underlines how laame other villains are to loose to Twilight, when Chrysalis and Cozy NEVER DID. Chrysalis was beaten by Cadance, then Starlight, then her own incompetence. Cozy lost to Young Six. Even Sombra was arguably beaten by Spike and magical Macguffin.)

Ok, back to point. Let's give them credit, it's nice they wanted to give him last huzza (even if IDW comics did it much better long time ago). And destroying the tree was fairly competent, even if surprisingly easy to do.
But he's soooooo cliche 101 villainy. He boasts, evil laughs, underestimates the hero. I could swallow it if he had any style, or had no trick that he didn't used in the past. He's not a character, he's a tool to fill space and build up  Grogar as bigger villain. The fact that he couldn't beat Discord is understandable, but again, lame. I preferred him as growly mute, at least he had overwhelming presence like some kind of pony Sauron. (And IDW tortured King of Monster forced on a path ne never wanted was waaaay better)

And what happened to his smoke-eyes, the most original part of his design? Ow right, he would look to threatening with them...

That was so much fun to watch! I loved how they portrayed the sibling rivalry with some great callbacks to earlier episodes and seasons. 

Spike was truly the winning in this episode though! It's great to see him finally be confirmed as the "little brother/son" status to Twilight. I knew it's been portrayed that way for a long time, but it's great to finally hear it for real!

MMMMM heheheheh YEEESSSS

Spectacular episode. Simply put, I really don't have many (if any) negatives to put up against this one. Truth be told, it all had a flair of the original seasons to it in its unpredictability and overall randomness.

Brilliant idea on the show's staff part to just take the VA's ideas and build up an episode from them. As of late, the show has seemed dead set to place friendship lessons over the actual events of an episode and its characters. This often placed everything into a certain, non-fluid format that really hindered how far they could take things in an episode. They let all of that drop here and it was an astounding success imo. Each character got their time in the spotlight and no one's shoes were stepped over (well, beyond Celestia but more on that later). It was also interesting to see what the VA's thought of their characters after 8+ years of performing them.

Plus, Spike man. I've been cheering for this guy since the first season and I'm always happy when he gets a win in anything and this episode was certainly a big one. He knew the best ponyoption to take in order to excel. While I do feel that the sibling plot probably could've used a bit more time in the oven on his end (and I really do hope that one of these episodes does actually explain his origins), it was, overall, well executed.

But really, enough bs, y'all know why I really liked this episode

oh boi its been so long since i've been able to do this

*inhales*

Spoiler

LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES, it was her! best pony! all along! playing the masterful game and winning it for the underdog Spike this whole time! Coming in with the slam dunk, downward spike, 4 piece wombo combo on everyone in the end, including her sister!

No one ever suspects the moon. They doubt her power. The fools were taught again on this day. Moon bois be taken this W!

*clears throat*

I mean, it was nice to see both princesses again and in a role that doesn't undermine them for a change. It was also great to see that one of them greatly contributed to the conclusion of the plot and I really do hope that this continues throughout the season.

So yeah, overall a fantastic episode. Easily the best one in recent memory and might just make it into a top 10 list if I ever decide on doing that with the 200 episodes we currently have.

Oh yeah, this was the 200th episode right? Damn, again, if you had told me that this series would hit that high of a number 7 years back I'd say that you were crazy. We currently have over 3 days of official pony animation and that doesn't even include the movie, shorts, or any of the EQG stuff. It's been an insane ride and as we near the end of it all, I'm hoping we get more moments like this in the final stretch.

• Thumbs Up 2

This week’s the 200th episode, Twilight’s Seven. And the VAs had a hand in the writing as well.

I find it quite alight, likeable. I seem to be leaning towards Slice of Life as the better milestone episode though.

I like some of the jokes, esp. the parts with the princesses, much of the continuity nods and callbacks, and Spike.

Personally, I wasn’t fond of the premise of the whole sibling rivalry nor crown heist plot esp. for something that is for a milestone episode. It felt too much a normal/generic episode for it and would’ve been place at any other time. Not that I was expecting something like Slice of Life, but maybe some more Equestrian lore around the Princesses in their prime/youth with Starswirl and the Pillars. Or maybe an in-depth villain backstory like Grogar or Chrysalis would’ve been a better fit. The jokes felt hit or miss for the most part, sometimes it felt a bit too off or random at points.

Overall, it was okay.

10 hours ago, AdventChild said:

Personally, I wasn’t fond of the premise (...) that is for a milestone episode.

VAs is the key part here. They were asked "what do you wish your character to did" and then they glued all the ideas into an episode.

And result is one of my favorite episodes in the show. The comedy, face expressions, twists, EVERYTHING about Zephyr and Dash (I can't believe RD's voice asked for it!). Plot is a bit chaotic, but that what gives it an edge; it's unique and unpredictable.

I will admit that there are more poignant episodes ( "The Perfect Pear", "Tanks for the Memories"), but Spike's struggle is still cute and relatable.

Finally it's sooooo nice to see episode where all mane six are uniquely contributing, not like all finales when Twilight pushes the plot and rest is just there for moral support.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Finally it's sooooo nice to see episode where all mane six are uniquely contributing, not like all finales when Twilight pushes the plot and rest is just there for moral support.

It's sad that a 22-minute episode can do a better job at utilizing all of the Mane 6 than most of the 2 parters and the movie.

• Thumbs Up 1

This episode was Twilight's Seven and apparently the 200th episode(when was Slice of Life again?). So, I guess I'll actually comment on it.

I skimmed a bit of this page earlier and saw about the writers & episode number, so I made it a point to watch it before coming back to comment.  Still, Mane 6 and Spike's voice actors being credited for the story would've popped anyway. This was a very interesting way to put together an episode and I'm really glad the writers set time aside to ask the voice actors about their bucket lists. And yes, it is pretty impressive to see them actually we've all that into a single episode, though I'm sure one of them could've been it's own plot.

As for random other thoughts:

• Boy, they seem to be checking off boxes regarding using certain characters, given the presence and relevance of Celestia, Luna, AND Shining Armor, don't they? Hm...
  • This episode technicallly retcons the notion that Celestia raised Spike, as well as raising the question of how old he actually is.
  • Pinkie likes geese, apparently.
  • Those geese reminded me of the Bunyip.
  • How surprisingly novel having Twilight sit the mission out sounded, huh?
  • Applejack was totally going for Dolly Parton. ...Even more than she already was, that is.
  • Anyone else think Rarity was gonna get them busted by not reassembling the bricks?
  • Thought Fluttershy's portion could've gone a little longer.
  • Love Luna lampshading how irritable those geese are.
  • For some reason, I was expecting Rainbow to alternate by claiming to wanna see Zephyr SHINY!
  • Luna petting a goose on the throne looked weird, as did Celestia's face when they left
  • Was Spike and Luna ever conspiciously nearby/offscreen earlier?
12 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

VAs is the key part here. They were asked "what do you wish your character to did" and then they glued all the ideas into an episode.

And result is one of my favorite episodes in the show. The comedy, face expressions, twists, EVERYTHING about Zephyr and Dash (I can't believe RD's voice asked for it!).

Okay, I was wondering about that. Cause until that conversation between Fluttershy and Spike, Zephyr showing up seemed pretty random outside of the gag.

On 4/20/2019 at 3:18 AM, MetalSkulkBane said:

Kinda hated it.

They really trying to make Grogar look cool, by undermining previous villains. And yet he looks less scary than in G1 and didn't do anything other than boast how cool he is. (Plus he underlines how laame other villains are to loose to Twilight, when Chrysalis and Cozy NEVER DID. Chrysalis was beaten by Cadance, then Starlight, then her own incompetence. Cozy lost to Young Six. Even Sombra was arguably beaten by Spike and magical Macguffin.)

Ok, back to point. Let's give them credit, it's nice they wanted to give him last huzza (even if IDW comics did it much better long time ago). And destroying the tree was fairly competent, even if surprisingly easy to do.
But he's soooooo cliche 101 villainy. He boasts, evil laughs, underestimates the hero. I could swallow it if he had any style, or had no trick that he didn't used in the past. He's not a character, he's a tool to fill space and build up  Grogar as bigger villain. The fact that he couldn't beat Discord is understandable, but again, lame. I preferred him as growly mute, at least he had overwhelming presence like some kind of pony Sauron. (And IDW tortured King of Monster forced on a path ne never wanted was waaaay better)

And what happened to his smoke-eyes, the most original part of his design? Ow right, he would look to threatening with them...

Yeah, that's pretty much the vibe I got from it as well. Well that and trying a little too hard to "give him a personality."

Again, I wouldn't have minded him starting off talkative & pompous in the presence of his fellow villains and maybe even at certain points like when he orders Big Mac to break through the gates. But when he's actually confronting his enemies and invading his former domain, he should've been more sinister and intimidating.

They don't even do a joke about how urbane he is for his reputation and/or better yet, at least have a variant of his debut voice kick in when he's using his powers.

23 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

Interesting to see them address how awful the castle's defenses are.

Has it been broken into that often?

22 hours ago, AdventChild said:

. Not that I was expecting something like Slice of Life, but maybe some more Equestrian lore around the Princesses in their prime/youth with Starswirl and the Pillars. Or maybe an in-depth villain backstory like Grogar or Chrysalis would’ve been a better fit.

Yeah, that would've been nice.

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Has it been broken into that often?

Let me ask you this: how many times have the royal guards been useful when a crisis arose?

What's interesting is that I recall in a sort of sequel for the movie, the IDW comics had Tempest lampshade how poor Equestria"s military was.

59 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Let me ask you this: how many times have the royal guards been useful when a crisis arose?

Considering most of the crises were pretty big, not very much at all.

59 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

What's interesting is that I recall in a sort of sequel for the movie, the IDW comics had Tempest lampshade how poor Equestria"s military was.

Wasn't that generally her thing, though?