Sean

My Little Pony's Justice 2 - Official MLP Thread v2

So Lauren Faust gives her reaction to a sampling of a Pony Life script and confirms that there is facetime/Zoom in Equestria now.

Capture.PNG

Thinking about it and as much I don't support it, it does make Equestria Girls feel very moot and pointless doesn't it? I mean, other than the school gimmick (which FiM copied with S8), the EQG world had the modern tech as an advantage over the FiM world. Despite having it for a long time, now that's gone because of Pony Life, what makes EQG unique anymore other than teen humans?

4 hours ago, AdventChild said:

So Lauren Faust gives her reaction to a sampling of a Pony Life script and confirms that there is facetime/Zoom in Equestria now.

Capture.PNG

Thinking about it and as much I don't support it, it does make Equestria Girls feel very moot and pointless doesn't it? I mean, other than the school gimmick (which FiM copied with S8), the EQG world had the modern tech as an advantage over the FiM world. Despite having it for a long time, now that's gone because of Pony Life, what makes EQG unique anymore other than teen humans?

That's a good point.

I need to finish that stuff since the last I saw was Rollercoaster of Friendship.

So Pony Life is here with the first two episodes:

https://sendvid.com/snqqosb6

https://sendvid.com/dnr2kxao

Oh boy, if you think some of the episodes of the main series had bad pacing with a 22 minute format, it's awful here in half the time. Not a fan of the animation and art style that feel simplistic and sloppy simultaneously while being frenetic esp. the backgrounds. The jokes and writing fall flat nearly every time which is bad for a comedy in any form, even some characterizations are over exaggerated for comedic effect but fail to deliver as well.

So MLP GO-Roar gets a Meh from me.

Well, I gave the first two episodes a go.

If I had to put them in a single word, it'd be "inoffensive." This is really less of a TTG and more of a Unikitty or something in its style. It's comedic, a bit random, though does end up having some form of message at the end of the 11 min runtime. Hell, even got some chuckles out of me (one from AJ which was legitimately surprising... don't think I've done that since season 5 or something... whatever ep had her being overly protective of AB).

So yeah, overall while I'm probably not going to go out of my way to watch the show this time around, I certainly don't mind it. That could easily change with other episodes but for now, idk, I enjoyed myself more here than I did with a fair amount of episodes in the later half of FiM.

Though I will say that the animation style is certainly hit or miss. A lot of effort went into the main character models but the moment the show tries to do anything outside of the mold (ie the little kid that shows up in Rainbow's ep)... yikes. Also the backgrounds are... weird.

As a side note, in regards to the whole Equestria and tech thing, I always felt like there was never a given level which led fans to run with their own interpretations which was fine. I'm sure Faust said something about it being less there overall, way back when, but FiM always did little to adhere to that. If a joke required a DJ set table, arcade machine, headphones, big Times Square styled screens, ect. they put them in. Plus, if my avatar didn't give it away already, I do like the idea of standard tech being there so from what I've seen of this show I'm sort of all for it. That being said though, do I want an episode revolving entirely around things like smart phones or facetiming? No, of course not. That would just be too big of a shift for the overall world imo (though I wouldn't be opposed to a gaming centered episode just cause).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if the tech is handled as a means to advance the story rather than it being the story for the most part, I'm fine with that.

On 6/20/2020 at 9:39 AM, AdventChild said:

trying really hard to hold back my OG FiM fan feelings and replying with "well eqg was pointless from the offset anyways lol"

Honestly, if I had to guess, EQG's entire point for coming into existence was to just simply connect the brand closer to that school, teen setting (until the show tried to do it itself). Tech there also always seemed to take a backseat (at least as far as the movies went) so I doubt if there was any real effort to make that the defining trait of EQG over FiM. Though I admittedly have not kept up with any of those shorts/ episode things they've posted on youtube over the past few years so maybe they did make that shift at some point, idk.

the second episode (two-parter?) was pretty meh, but i really liked the first episode. thought it was pretty dang funny. kinda like the artstyle as well.

Posted (edited)

So episodes 3 and 4 of Pony Life have been released.

[linked removed]

[linked removed]

So yeah, my opinions haven't changed much from the previous episodes. Still feel like Diet TTG, frenetic cheap and sloppy art style and animation, and littered with a lot of lol-randumb and meta-humor and jokes and writing that falls flat. It feels like a show written by people who haven't even watched a single episode of the main series. Also, as jarring as some modern day digital tech is in the show, the fact that there is a talking cat (Bubbles) feels rather weird and that Spike not being voiced by Cathy Weseluck but by Rarity's VA Tabitha St. Germain which just felt off too.

Edited by Strickerx5
Removal of direct links

FYI, let’s continue with not posting direct links to full on episodes here (or anywhere else on the forum) if they’re not posted on YouTube or something. I doubt we’re anywhere near on Hasbro's radar but it’s better to be safe than sorry.

Not to mention that the episodes are easy enough to find on their own.

Also sad to see Cathy go. Though, I am happy that it was on here own terms. Plus, Tabitha does seem to do a fine enough job in the role based on the few lines she’s been given thus far imo (this show went straight back to season 1 levels of ignoring Spike wow).

Oddly enough Hasbro have been releasing 'Best of' vids for each character when the miniseries just started to premiere not too long ago and they abruptly cut at the end. Also, talking dolphins are now a thing as well.

Pulling something like this just make me think of one of two things. Either they are desperate for viewership or that they aren't confident in this spinoff so their just throw all their promos out there to get it over with (and to sell toys obviously).