Awoo.

My Little Pony's Justice 2 - Official MLP Thread v2

Sean

And so a brandnew Rarity song is on the way in Rarity Takes Manehattan.

Rarity finally get's her own song after two years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArKxILrveK8

[Rarity]

Some may say, "Rarity, Don't be so big-hearted and bold Treating strangers like they're friends This town's too big and Cold

• Thumbs Up 2

[Rarity]

Some may say, "Rarity, Don't be so big-hearted and bold Treating strangers like they're friends This town's too big and Cold

Hey, Fancy Pants and Fleur De Lis get cameos! We haven't seen them since way back in Sweet Elite.

I think this pretty much sums up how "Bats!" could have went:

512598__safe_twilight+sparkle_rainbow+da

I think I would like Fluttershy a lot more if it wasn't for the constant back-and-forth with her personality.  It's OK for her to occasionally revert back to her shy and not-so-confident nature in small doses, but I think she should have evolved enough after 3.25 seasons to show more of her strong side than not.  Which also shows one of the great flaws of this otherwise awesome show, in the way it's handled it's character development.  They only seem to use previous character development whenever it suits them (if only to have moments for us to say, "HEY LOOK!  The writers didn't forget something that happened in *insert episode here*."), only to revert back to a character's old nature at the drop of a hat usually for no good reason for a majority of the time.

As far as the season so far has gone, I have to admit that it really hasn't wowed me as much as previous seasons have.  Sure, there have been some memorable moments, but it just seems to be missing that certain flare that used to make me excited for a new episode.  I'm hoping all these mysterious endings to the episodes will lead to something (IE ANYTHING), but who knows if they hold any true meaning and not just there for an OMG moment.  There's still a lot of Season 4 to go, so I have high hopes that it will get better.

• Thumbs Up 5

[Rarity]

Rarity has two songs though. But this new song of hers is catchy! And next episode is Pinkie Apple Pie and that means...APPLES TO THE CORE YES!

Comfound this ponies! They drive me to biology research!

But anyway, we got the same an extended synopsis for Rainbow Falls:

I just want to know who are in the Cloudsdale team (maybe some Wonderbolts? Maybe Lightning Dust? Maybe Gilda!?), and I hope they aren't just jerks like the Shadowbolts back in the pilots...

The rest of the episode sounds a little predictable but "the opposition" could make this conflict really interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmHafZOIfQM

To be honest I honestly thought this was legit for a second. JanAnimations has done it again. He animates pretty well and with ShadyVox VAing it's perfect. Even though it's short it was pretty funny with Button Mash crying because of Sweetie Belle distracting him on the final boss level. Button I feel your pain. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Finally sat down and watched 'Bronies: The Extremely Unexpected Adult Fans of My Little Pony' (thank you, Netflix!) and overall I found it a really enjoyable experience. Plenty of feel-good moments in there which I liked, although the beginning did feel a little 'rinse and repeat' with how it introduced us to the 'characters' in the film. I did find a few moments cringe-worthy, but I could probably count them, and they were far outweighed by the rest of the film which for the most part, was great.

Overall, I found it a very enjoyable watch.

Week of Rarity, Day 6. Today I'm reviewing my absolute favorite episode (assuming it's not dethroned tomorrow), Sweet and Elite.

I've gushed about this episode a lot already, and for good reason. In my opinion, it is the clearest display of Rarity's character - her strengths, her shortcomings, her hopes, and her embodiment of her element. While other episodes (both featuring Rarity and other characters) have come close, none quite match this perfect combination of excellent writing and characterization.

Rarity is very flawed. Her imperfections make her relatable and "human," and much like Green Isn't Your Color and Sisterhooves Social, that humanity is demonstrated expertly here. Sweet and Elite handles one of her flaws - her preoccupation with image to the detriment of her friends - in a very sympathetic and realistic way. In this episode, Rarity isn't brushing her friends aside in favor of social climbing; She's constantly fighting with herself, struggling to balance high society life and her obligations to her Ponyville friends. A less skilled cartoon would have had the protagonist simply ditch their friends without a care, but here, Rarity clearly does care about them, and feels guilty for neglecting them. I think that's a significant point, because it makes grey what is usually a black-and-white issue in children's media.

Regarding Rarity's friends, I loved how they moved Twilight's birthday party to Canterlot. It really shows just how important these ponies are to each other, and how close they've all become over the course of the series. The scenes with Rarity running back and forth between the parties is hilarious, as is her friends' unceremonious invasion of the fancy garden party thereafter.

The ending is one of the most heartfelt moments on the show, in my opinion. Rarity sticks up for her friends, despite how "unsophisticated" they are in the eyes of the party's guests, and despite how this risks her reputation and chances of fitting in with the Canterlot elite. It reminds me a bit of the applause scene from Green Isn't Your Color, where once again Rarity puts her own image on the line for her friends' sake. Rarity ultimately will support her friends, no matter what's on the line, and that is a tremendous example of generosity; She may love the prestige of high society, but she's willing to risk parting with all of it for her friends. This is the very essence of who Rarity is.

Fantastic writing, spot-on characterization, great song. Best-tier episode.

And now we patiently wait until tomorrow. Rarity Takes Manehatten has some big shoes to fill, but I'm confident we're in store for a great episode.
  • Thumbs Up 1

[Rarity]

Heard part of the song and...I eh, not really feeling or liking it. Probably because of the drawn out and emphasis of 'Generosity' which comes off as unnatural and forced along with the 'Cold' at the end of the clip. Becoming Popular sounded far better than this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J6-3l3hCm0

For a Rarara episode! \o/

As Mechano kindly pointed us in his awesome reviews the last clotheshorse episode was Sweet and Elite and that happened back in 2011! (December 3rd, just to be clear that it was more like 2 years and some days rather than 3), people have been asked for one of these for a while and the whole Spike at Your Service fiasco just fueled all the "Don't believe her lieeeeeeeees" posts around the ponynet. Now 2 years of expectations built fall under the poor soul who is in charge of writing this episode... Who happens to be no one else but Dave Polsky! (of "Pinkie mass murder" and "The thin line between reality and fiction within a fiction" fame. Just messing around, don't take it seriously :v)

No pressure on the man of course.

But yeah today we have a Rarity episode, the premise admittedly sounds a bit odd for me because (like the previous episode) it will deal with a topic that could turn a little sour too easily, and that's the theme of plagiarism and taking advantage of others (though I'm pretty sure that this is near-universally agreed to be a bad thing so maybe I'm worrying too much about nothing). On the other hoof, it seems like we are going to get the Lightning Dust version of Rarity which could be interesting to see (and how the fanfic world reacts to it, but TBH post episode fanfics are a bit of a Rarity when it comes to what passes down EQD filters for some reason, I think I can count with a hand the number of Star Swirl fanfics posted there and I can't remember seeing a single one talking about the post-MMC disaster just to name some examples).

It also seems like we are getting a song, I expect something in a musical style because Manehattan sounds like the perfect place to have one of these, not doing it would be a waste of such a (metaphorically) magical place.

I also want to see Babs, just seeing her running in the background with 2 other fillies/colts would make me happy. smile.png

4f6Mi.png

Interesting things about the previous episode.

1) It's really not explained why AJ and the rest of the mane cast changed their hearts about the bat issue after Flutterbat happened (or maybe it did, since Twi's spell and trying to "magically" attack the nearest issue ASAP was what caused more problems) but someone in EQD comments pointed out that AJ saw things differently when she realized one of her best friends was one of the monsters she was trying to get rid of. Let me explain, back at the beginning Fluttershy pointed "bats aren't monsters, they all have families and someone to care for... You could say they are like you and me", of course everyone ignored it but when Shy did turn into a bat suddenly her words take a little more meaning because the bat attacking the orchards is actually their dear friend, who has a life besides eating apples and destroying orchars. So I guess that could be a way of unintentionally getting your point across, of course, it would be better if they actually showed Flutterbat doing something else than... Eating apples and destroying orchards but I guess I can see where this EQD user was coming from. 

2) Also, have a bit of a read about fruitbats while we wait for the next episode, I found this one interesting because (as the guy who linked me to this on the EQD comments section) I found it to be quite similar to the previous episode situation, this is what I got from the article:

* There are many kinds of bats but the article makes a special distinction between the fruit-eating and the bug-eating variety, bug eaters are often considered beneficial in orchards and getting rid of them have proven to be disastrous in some locations. The fruit eaters don't have such a good reputation (BTW, I'm now headcanon-ing regular fruit bats as bug eaters, they use their fruit-like bodies to attract insects and then eats them while their guard is down)

* Farmers could work with fruitbats but this would require more work than what most of them are willing to take (productivity and whatnot)

* Having said that, getting rid of the fruitbats could have some dire consequences for a farm (emphasis on could, also, AJ's farm was fine before this happened so I don't think this one counts).

* This article doesn't mention the bats pollination capabilities as a benefit for an orchard, which is good because that's not how it works outside of the wildlife.

* Bats are not explosive breeders since a female can only give birth to a single bat per year (that would still require some birth control, and I'm a little curious as how somepony like Fluttershy would react to that instead of simply letting the animals live in the wild... Oh well, we'll never really know about that)

All in all a very interesting read, I wish I could find this sort of stuff before a pony episode, it somehow makes my breakfasts tastier. tongue.png

See ya in a few hours! o/

• Thumbs Up 2

Rarity episode at last with a song and a reprise, some BG ponies returns, Friendship was Magic and another key to the Season Finale.

And a quick glimpse of an AJ clone doing opera they must had heard my wishes for an opera.

Eh, that was a pretty meh episode. The pacing was really bad, and Rarity seemed a tiny bit OOC when she started getting frustrated with everyone else. The whole "stolen idea" scenario just came and went. Only to be fixed off screen by that other pony. The rest of the Mane Six turning up all of a sudden and forgiving Rarity near the end felt rushed. They just came out of nowhere.

Both songs didn't really do it for me, but I really liked Rarity's singing voice. Tabitha did good job there. Disregard, I'm stupid. tongue.png

Overall? 5/10. Apologies if that sounds harsh, but I just didn't really like this episode. Although, I do wonder if that rainbow thread at the end hints to anything. We've already had plenty of clues in past episodes.

Also:

8k99.jpg

MALE ALICORNS CONFIRMED

Edited by TheCakeMiester
  • Thumbs Up 2

Rarity Takes Manehatten was everything I hoped it would be, and then some. Since it just aired and I haven't had much time to reflect, I can't decide yet if it's overtaken my longtime favorite Sweet and Elite, but if it certainly comes incredibly close if it hasn't.

Rarity is the element of generosity, and in this episode, her element is not only exemplified, but also challenged. She sees firsthand what it's like to have her generous nature completely taken for granted when Suri Polomore uses her fabric to copy her entire line. Furthermore, she herself takes the generosity of her own friends for granted in a moment of blind ambition, guilt-tripping them into hastily helping her stitch together a new line in only one night. Here, Rarity is so consumed by her desire to win that she loses sight of what really matters, defying her very nature as well as her element.

At the competition, it's apparent that Rarity's friends didn't show up. Of course, it doesn't take Rarity long at all to realize what she's done, and to clearly, profoundly regret her shortsightedness. These are her friends, and ultimately, they matter far more than all the contests and awards in the world. Rarity, in despair, prepares to leave Manehatten to make amends with her friends in Ponyville, no longer concerned at all with the contest. To her surprise, her friends merely overslept, and had intended to come support her all along. Regardless of how she treated them the previous night, Twilight explains that they know Rarity, and understand that her actions - while unjustified - was out of character for her, and that it would take far more than one moment of selfishness to sully their valuable friendship.

I think this is wonderful for two reasons: On Rarity's side, it demonstrates how important it is not to take advantage of your friends' kindness. No matter how generous you may be, no one is infallible, and you should always watch yourself to make sure you aren't taking others for granted. I think her friends demonstrate another lesson: That we are to judge our friends and loved ones by who they are as a whole, not just their most recent actions. Rarity may have treated her friends poorly the previous night, but they knew that she wasn't normally like that, which is why they were so quick to forgive her. I think that's a great lesson, and it's important for us to remember that nobody's perfect, and to be forgiving of our friends' occasional shortcomings.

I think Rarity's crowning moment in this episode comes in when, after being told she lost the contest, she simply replies that she doesn't care anymore. Consider how important Fashion Week is for her career, and this becomes more significant. At that moment, her friends were the only thing that mattered, not some contest; Not even an incredibly important one. That's the generous spirit Rarity is known for, right there.

Of course, Rarity doesn't actually lose, and it's another underhanded trick by Suri. Her assistant (I've forgotten her name, I'll have to catch it once the video goes on Youtube), so moved by Rarity's friendship with the other ponies, risks - and ultimately loses - her job to stop Suri's plan from working, and brings Rarity's rightfully-earned award. This pays off for her, as Rarity hooks her up with a new job designing theater costumes, and all is well! ...Wait, what's this?

The episode closes on a shiny rainbow spool of thread. Could this be foreshadowing? Mysterious.

I'd be remiss if I didn't talk about the new song, "Generosity." I feel this song is to Rarity what "Smile" is for Pinkie, in that it lays out Rarity's entire philosophy and worldview as she goes around demonstrating her element. It's lovely, and is definitely up there with "Art of the Dress" and "Becoming Popular" in my opinion. Kazumi Evans knocks another one out of the park.

All in all, the episode is fantastic. It was well worth the wait, and I'm more excited than ever to see what season 4 has in store for us!

Guys, I think I might like Rarity more than Eggman now.

• Thumbs Up 4

Guys, I think I might like Rarity more than Eggman now.

Wow, wow, slow down Doc. You're making me dizzy!

• Thumbs Up 4

God, would it kill anypony to give Twilight a little respect?  She's a princess for crying out loud.

Anyways, the episode was pretty good I thought.  It emphasized the giving and receiving aspect of generosity a lot, and I thought the little switch-up in the end where Rarity was given something first and having her then give something in return was cute.  That rainbow thread seems interesting; it might tie in with the Rainbow Power toy line that's going on.  It also made me think that the keys for the mysterious chest might not be literal keys (but there's nothing to support that theory, so whatevs).

• Thumbs Up 2

*post*

Haven't watched the episode because my nephew wanted to play Age of Empires II (and it might be a while before I have a chance to because I might start transferring all my stuff from this PC to a new one soon, how soon will affect the chances of walls of text appearing) but I just felt like correcting that Rarity's singing voice doesn't come from Tabitha, it's from the always talented Kazumi Evans.

Also, I almost chocked after watching that male Alicorn (should not read forums while eating)... laugh.png

It was okay-ish to say the least, but at least, there was some plot development for the box and key thing (though something about is worrisome, but I'll get to it later). It's definitely no Sweet and Elite. 

The good some overacting Rarity (sometimes it's tiresome), few lines from RD about musicals, and some visual gags here and there as well as the scope of the city landscape (though it does feel kinda jarring how the lay of the Equestrian land is suppose to be Medieval at best). 

Though again Mane cast being shoehorned in when they don't do a whole lot of much than become Rarity's sweat shop and be moral support and unnecessary backup singing. I actually wouldn't mind if all Manes join during episodes concerning the box and keys subplot, but still should reduce the number of Manes when it doesn't happen such as Daring Don't and even Bats!. So I hope involving all the Mane 6 when unnecessary doesn't become a trend and the Pinkie Pie episodes would break that esp. with the Apple family one. Also, Manehattan citizens don't give a buck that they have an alicorn princess in their presence and Twilight not taking advantage of her position yet again! Such regress progress! Yeah, I know what McCarthy Tweeted, but still kinda skeptical on how well it'll be treated/implemented. The antagonist comes off as an adult Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon and not as memorable, heck I even forgot her name after all is said and done. The whole winning the trophy at the end was predictable and rushed, and I was actually kinda interested of seeing Rarity staying in Manehattan and how the others would cope with her gone. Though it would have that whole "Separated yet still Bound in Friendship/Heart" or "Apart yet Come Together in the End by Bonds" kinda feel, which could work as a seasonal arc when the Mane 6 get separated to far away lands/worlds/dimensions and probably try to find their way back to each other. But I'm getting off track. Even with some lines, the writing comes off as kinda meh for some of the plot and dialogue. 

The songs really didn't do much for me. Again, the drawing out emphasis of Geneorosity felt a bit forced and unnatural as well as the Cold line, and the other Manes as backup singing felt unnecessary. I'm indifferent on the reprisal as well. Becoming Popular was way better than what was presented here. 

Then, let's look at the actual development for this box and key plot. The thing that is worrisome is the prism/rainbow effect with the velvet rope and eyes, and the rainbow thread on spool. Why? Because Rainbow Power. Seriously, it makes so obvious and really unsubtle that you know what it is going to be if you've seen the toyline and commercials for it (well, maybe not so obvious for little girls, but still). It doesn't comes off as a surprise anymore and lessens the anticipation factor of it all; the same goes with ACW and even May the Best Pet Win. It makes me wish that toyline follows the storyline rather than toyline dictates the storyline so they can release the toys after the fact rather beforehand so it doesn't come as spoilerific. Also, I don't like the Rainbow Power look. It feels like a gaudy colored mess on both toys and even on the animated vectors for the commercial. I hope that it isn't permanent. Even though we still don't know what the power does, it'll seriously be anticlimatic if all this means that they'll be able to do Deux Ex Machina rainbow beam power without the element accessories and THAT'S ALL! It'll be upsetting if that's all what this power does. If does more, than we still don't know the implications and don't know yet. Still if it just makes them able to do Deux Ex Machina beam than color me sorely pissed. 

Now, I'm hoping we don't get EG2: Electric Boogaloo with the Rainbow Rocks toyline if Rainbow Power is true (just you wait for Princess Skyla to become inevitable as well, they're just stalling for time). Getting two human based movies before an actual pony universe movie feels very nauseating. 

Anyways, this felt like a down the middle meh/okay episode and nothing much memorable (nothing FlutterBat memorable to say the least) than possible box and key development.

So Neon Lights is a male alicorn. Sweet!

Anyways, the episode wasn't too great and it wasn't too bad it was just average. Rarity's singing is pretty well done but the entire episode felt a little dragged and that bitch pony that was Rarity's "friend" annoyed me. It felt like the voice didn't suit her well enough and she sounded like one of those bitchy high school girls that pretends to be everyones friend and shit. 

To add this as well. The ending scene. Hmmm hint hint 

It kinda seems like all of these episode end up kinda well….average. Not a great start to the Season so far, I think the Scootaloo episode is the only one that has been anything really remarkable.

I'm not done watching the episode yet, but let me just say, I'm thankful for how girly this episode is compared to some recent episodes.

God damn... this episode. The first act is full of annoying bits like:

-redundant dialogue(Manehattan is exciting and the play is great. You don't need to tell us in before and after the intro.)

-Rarity gloating about generosity, pulling gems out her ass for every pony and their mother except the pack mule Spike(sheesh can't the little guy get a break?)

-Twilight's Princess-hood still not meaning shit to any pony. I was willing to excuse the lack of acknowledgement of Twilight status in the past episodes because it was either address properly in PTS, unknown or inconsequential to supporting cast dealing with the main conflict(Daring Don't and Power Ponies), or the story only involved the Mane 6 whom aren't letting status affect their friendship. However in this episode no pony in this gigantic city even notices that the 3rd/4th highest ranked horse in the country is standing next to them. I don't want the story to get derailed with Twilight being humble as every pony headbutts the concrete for her but at least a small moment of some pony acknowledging her and Twilight brushing it off would be nice. New wings, a giant ceremony, 3 stained glass windows, and at least 5 doomday threats stopped yet STILL no recognition dingdingding.png .

Okay rant over, everything else after the song was pure awesomedash.pngponydrugs.pnggleepony.png. The conflict was real, the reprise was amazing, Wet Mane-ity was back and sad and it broke my brony heart, and there was finally some definitive advancement of the box storyline. Coco Pommel was fucking adorable as fuck, I want more of her in the future. Also Grumpy cat pony is officially my new favorite background pony, such cantankerous apathy has to be respected. Had Act 1 been faster paced and better respected Spike and Twilight this would have been my new #1 episode but as it stands it's still in my top ten.

• Thumbs Up 1

Eh, it was a decent episode. It wasn't as great as Rarity's other episodes, but it did have it's moments here and there. I did like the idea of Rarity's generosity getting her into a problem, and I was disappointed that it wasn't the main focus of the episode. Oh well.

Though the part with Rainbow Dash saying why she didn't care for musicals, only for Rarity to break into song did get a laugh out of me. Lampshading at it's finest.  

After a string of episodes that weren't really objectively terrible, yet aren't objectively amazing, either, Rarity steps into the spotlight in Rarity Takes Manehattan. While it was referenced in Cutie Mark Chronicles, One Bad Apple, and Apple Family Reunion, it was shown only in TCMC. This marks its first appearance since then, and the scenery is spotlit more. In the first Rarity-centric episode since Sweet & Elite (and first Rarity-centric appearances in the official media since the Rarity micro comic and Nightmare Rarity chapter — each only above-average at best), Polsky delivers.

Strengths:

1. Everyone (minus Spike) has a purpose in the story. While not everyone is brim with dialogue, they're not confined as background ponies. They belong and carry an important role in the story. It's especially the case after Rarity finds out Suri Polomare plagiarizes her dress line.
  2. Suri Polomare is an excellent antagonist. While Rarity's generosity was pushed to the brink before in the form of Suited for Success and Green Isn't Your Color, this is the first time anyone takes advantage of it so maliciously. Suri is every artist's biggest nightmare: a lying, no-good, sleazy plagiarizer, and just about every one has had their work plagiarized before. It's no fun, and Rarity has every right to be pissed. Suri is written as a lying, manipulative bitch.

An anti-Rarity.

Unlike Rarity, whose so many facets create a great character that breaks the snobby fashionista cliché, Suri breaks it, too, by making her so <i>evil</i>. The Diamond Tiara of Rarity, but with extra dimension. (And way more dimension than the generic "character" called Sunset Shimmer.)
  3. Speaking of Suri, Coco Pommel, her protégé, is just as excellent a foil as Rarity. Unlike Rarity's vast experience, Coco is still grasping of talent and career: designing high-quality dresses within a quick schedule. Like Suri and Rarity, Coco wants to make it in Manehattan, but she's given very bad advice and is commanded all the time. Her will to grow and acknowledgement that Suri is not for her because of her vileness proves how genuinely likeable and well-developed she is, even in her youth. I honestly hope she isn't a one-shot, because she has so much potential.
  4. As a New Yorker, Manehattan really respects the cultures of the city. New York City is a gigantic melting pot of so many cultures in and out of Manhattan. From the popular tourist attractions like Broadway and The Statue of Liberty to Grand Central (the bridge where the train scuttles past during "Generosity" is a ponified Park Avenue Viaduct, and the big bridge crossing from the mainland to Manehattan is likely a reference of the Brooklyn or Verrazano Narrows Bridge).

While it's mostly fixated in Midtown/Hell's Kitchen, Chelsea, and the Financial District, there are a multitude of cultures and classes that make the city so grand, from Greenwich Village to Harlem to Flushing to Pelham Bay/Orchard Beach to Coney Island to Richmondtown to Corona and so on. If the team ever revisits Manehattan, I'd love to see them reference the other neighborhoods, especially from the outer boroughs and suburbs.

Meanwhile, despite referencing more of the upper-middle-class and upper-class parts of Manehattan, it shows the respect and hustle of the city. As a New Yorker, I've seen a lot of people mumble and grumble over it, including the long waits for a cab.
  5. As a character, Rarity is significantly balanced. There are so many little facets that make her so endearing and complex. RTM takes full advantage of it, from teasing Spike to showing her generosity to the patrons, the taxi driver, and fellow tourists. She overly dramatized, loved for her friends, and wanted to one-up Suri no matter the cost, and realized her crimes in friendship.

Her best moment: The reprise and walking in Manehattan in the storm with nothing to cover her. While she covered herself with a newspaper earlier, she didn't here. That showed how much she grew over the past three-plus seasons, from being pissed off by just touching the mud to taking part in the Sisterhooves Social after being responsible for the strain she caused with Sweetie Belle to worrying more about her friends instead of her vanity. Although her vanity, selfishness, and greed aren't going to go away in a snap, her other qualities shone.
  6. As for "Generosity," its initial tune really captures the Mane Six's joyous, hopeful spirit. They visit the city, and they're excited and hopeful. Its tone is very upbeat and Broadway-like. Conversely, it tells Rarity's element a bit too much, and its lack of catchiness doesn't help. This is why her reprise works better. It shows the consequences of her actions via the mood of Manehattan, somber score, Rarity's lack of care for herself, Kazumi Evans's sorrowful tone in her voice, and subtlety in the lyrics.
  7. While there is plenty of comedy, it isn't as zany as the other stories Polsky wrote. Even in Too Many Pinkie Pies, his darkest story, his comedy was abundant. The slapstick is much more toned down in exchange for something more serious. According to Polsky, it was a completely different direction compared to his initial concept.

Suffice it to say, RTM's is among the deepest in this series, and Polsky shows his wide talent range. If Polsky wrote RTM similar to his other episodes, the mood would've been way too inappropriate, and all that potential would've been lost.
  8. One of the biggest criticisms this season, the pace, is all but nonexistant. While there are perhaps a couple of moments where the pace speeds a tad too quickly, it isn't jarring. There is plenty of material to cover, but it flows so fluently, each sequence feels organic. To make it better, unlike PTS, DD, and PoP, the episode has many moments to relax and collect itself without failure.
  9. While we don't actually see Suri's consequences (i.e., her reaction to being lost and Coco Pommel quitting), doing so would've sensationalized the moral and perhaps make Rarity appear the bad guy. But because she didn't give a damn about the fashion contest anymore and instead treated her friends to an exclusive performance of the Bridleway musical, she shows her worth by that alone. Coco sees this, too, and her conversation with Rarity (along with presenting the trophy and gift to Rarity and being the one to design the costumes for the next show) presents good karma. Whether Suri will ever learn her lesson, I don't know.
  10. The moral itself isn't shoehorned. The morals are reinforced with each action and consequence, along with the thorough characterizations and goals from the Mane Six, Suri, Coco, and Prim Hemline.
  11. As a big bonus, RTM actually feels like a community and helps complete the atmosphere. There are so many ponies, both new and reoccurring, appearing here, making Manehattan feel alive. This is something Friendship Is Magic needs: the community interacting with each moment. It's been absent for most of Season 4, leaving a very wide gap that gives the canon life. More interaction with the background ponies, the more complete the canon becomes.

BTW, kudos to the team for plugging in Sapphire Shoes, Hoity Toity, Photo Finish, Fancy Pants, and Fleur de Lis! biggrin.png

Weaknesses:

1. Spike's role as background comic relief is too old and tiring. After Power Ponies, the development he receives is tossed away. Lay off the Spikabuse, pleeeeeeeease.
  2. The Grumpy Cat meme is forced and distracting; the criticisms are completely justified. Two key reasons why (one related to the story, the other not).
    1. The meme is taken straight out of the Internet and plastered onto the flank as a cutie mark. No ponification. No effort to blend it into the scene. It's the actual face of the meme as a cutie mark. It sticks out way too much and is too in-your-face. It's not like Chanel, Derpy, The Big Lebowski, the Nyan Dash, or Sweetie Bot (in Equestria Girls), as they are blended into the canon. If you're going to reference a well-known meme like the Grumpy Cat, show some effort by blending it into the canon and ponifying it. Don't rip it off and make people wonder if the artists lack the creativity to include interesting background ponies and organically blend pop culture simultaneously.
    2. Instead of letting the previews and writing attract the older and computer-savvy demographics, The Hub is trying to appease them by <i>advertising</i> a pony with a ripped off meme. The Hub really disserved the hard work put into RTM. It gave RTM a very bad first impression and made the audience collectively wonder if it was actually well thought-out and written well.

Hub, don't pull this stupid stunt again.
  3. "Generosity" (not the reprise) tells too much and hammers Rarity's element excessively. Combined with it not exactly being catchy, it hurts the song and messages Polsky and Ingram relay. It's decent for other reasons (and well scored), yet forgettable.
  4. Twilight is an alicorn princess, and in a city as big as Manehattan (with all of the tabloids, business of the city, and how the Twilicorn was gigantic news for all of Equestria), surely Twilight will be more recognizable than your mayor.
  5. Pinkie, your brain is left at Sugarcube Corner. Please retrieve it the next time Rarity displays tickets.

Even with the annoyances, the rest of the episode is very well written, and they don't diminish the overall quality significantly. Polsky and crew carefully researched Manhattan to make sure it replicates the real life's atmosphere organically and tastefully. Instead of it being contrived, Manehattan's overall design feels like it belongs: industrialized to a point, yet not abandoning its simplified roots. In a fresh twist, Polsky sets aside his usual slapsticky visual comedy in exchange for a more down-to-earth, slice-of-life, serious character study, giving him the opportunity to explore Rarity's actions in response to being plagiarized and shortsighted (yet extremely justified and believable) ambition to one-up Suri and claim the top prize. Combined with a very organic pace and fantastic characterization of Suri and Coco, Polsky executes easily not just his best episode to date, but also Season 4's best episode thus far. Rarity Takes Manehattan is a clear home run.

• Thumbs Up 2

1. Spike's role as background comic relief is too old and tiring. After Power Ponies, the development he receives is tossed away. Lay off the Spikabuse, pleeeeeeeease.

Again, I'm not understanding why 'Spikabuse' get so many people riled up, especially since in some episodes, the mane six have had their fair share of being the victims of slapstick and unfortunate luck. Yes, him being a butt monkey is kinda odd after the whole message of Power Ponies, but after three seasons I kind of figured people would be used to him being comic relief.

Why do people get irritated? Is it cause he's the only main male of the group? please explain this, cause I'm still confused by all this.

• Thumbs Up 1