Awoo.

My Little Pony's Justice 2 - Official MLP Thread v2

Sean

1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

Joshscorcher's response to the Tooncrtitic incident:

ToonCritic disgust me.

16 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Would anyone [still] like an episode that has Sunset show up before the series apparently ends?

Eh, we already have Starlight.

7 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

ToonCritic disgust me.

Eh, we already have Starlight.

Hence why I said an episode. Besides, those two have and have had very different personalities, backgrounds, methods, relationships, and roles outside of the general "Evil!Twilight" concept. And Sunset is originally from Equestria with unfinished business there that has been a hold for the longest, so .

4 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Hence why I said an episode. Besides, those two have and have had very different personalities, backgrounds, methods, relationships, and roles outside of the general "Evil!Twilight" concept. And Sunset is originally from Equestria with unfinished business there that has been a hold for the longest, so .

New special this weekend will adress that.

1 hour ago, ShadowSJG said:

No, am serious. It's called forgotten friendship.

You know what, had I seen those first two thumbnails in particular out of context, I would've thought it was fake.

I wonder if they'll acknowledge Juniper.

*sees Luna is one of those promos*

Well shit, now I have to watch this. XD

I've really been behind with EQG. While it's still the same characters, a lot of what I like about the show just hasn't been translated into it so I rarely ever actually want to watch it. Honestly, after Sci-Twi was introduced I was kind of hoping that this meant the full on end of the two series interacting. They had their own Twilight now so I thought that they'd split it off completely for those who just wanted to stick with FiM without losing anything. That doesn't seem to be the case now.

In regard to the whole Sunset vs Starlight thing... yeah, gonna have to say they are basically the same character. They both have a "tragic" backstory, became super good with magic, turned evil (both even going as far as to try and brainwash people for their own gain), got stomped by Twi, were redeemed, became mainstays, and often hold a more down to earth view of situations compared to the others in the main cast. Hell, even their names are just synonyms of Twilight's. They're both anti-twi's/ Twilight 2.0s... on top of the other Twilight and Moon Dancer. With that being said though, there is a lot of room for them to build unique traits (we already see this with Starlight and her little quirks like loving kites and finding friendship among relative outcasts). It'll be interesting to see how this special plays into all of this.

Okay people, probably opening a can of friggin snakes here, but which is worse: Equestria Girls 1 or Equestria Girls "5"(particularly Mirror Magic)?

49 minutes ago, Strickerx5 said:

*sees Luna is one of those promos*

Well shit, now I have to watch this. XD

Lol. I suppose it'll be an neat little footnote for Sunset to be surprised by Luna's presence.

17 minutes ago, Strickerx5 said:

Honestly, after Sci-Twi was introduced I was kind of hoping that this meant the full on end of the two series interacting. They had their own Twilight now so I thought that they'd split it off completely for those who just wanted to stick with FiM without losing anything. That doesn't seem to be the case now.

Sigh...we already discussed that I don't really care for how they've been nominally(?) treating Sci-Fi after EG4, so I guess I don't need to say much about that to ya.

18 minutes ago, Strickerx5 said:

In regard to the whole Sunset vs Starlight thing... yeah, gonna have to say they are basically the same character. 

Same basic concept(s). 

48 minutes ago, Strickerx5 said:

They're both anti-twi's/ Twilight 2.0s... on top of the other Twilight and Moon Dancer. 

And Trixie. And Radiant. And Sci-Twi. And Tempest. And maybe Juniper.

48 minutes ago, Strickerx5 said:

With that being said though, there is a lot of room for them to build unique traits (we already see this with Starlight and her little quirks like loving kites and finding friendship among relative outcasts). It'll be interesting to see how this special plays into all of this.

True. Though to be somewhat equal here, I think it's safe to say it'd be best for Starlight to get maybe 1 2/2 decent scenes in the special for everyone's sake.

13 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Okay people, probably opening a can of friggin snakes here, but which is worse: Equestria Girls 1 or Equestria Girls "5"(particularly Mirror Magic)?

Lol. I suppose it'll be an neat little footnote for Sunset to be surprised by Luna's presence.

Sigh...we already discussed that I don't really care for how they've been nominally(?) treating Sci-Fi after EG4, so I guess I don't need to say much about that to ya.

Same basic concept(s). 

And Trixie. And Radiant. And Sci-Twi. And Tempest. And maybe Juniper.

True. Though to be somewhat equal here, I think it's safe to say it'd be best for Starlight to get maybe 1 2/2 decent scenes in the special for everyone's sake.

Do you notice how similar Shadow and Sunset are?

1 hour ago, ShadowSJG said:

Do you notice how similar Shadow and Sunset are?

Outside of the whole Evil!Twilight thing and the fact that they wanted to invade their homeland? No, not really.

Probably doesn't help that Sunset was the reason I actually became interested in EQ1, while Tempest was just kinda there as far as I would see.

4 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Outside of the whole Evil!Twilight thing and the fact that they wanted to invade their homeland? No, not really.

Probably doesn't help that Sunset was the reason I actually became interested in EQ1, while Tempest was just kinda there as far as I would see.

Actually, I meant Sunset and Shadow the Hedgehog.

8 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Now that's a stretch. No.

Actually, I disagree. Let me elaborate:

1. Both are introduced as evil counterparts to Sonic/Twi, and were antagonist but changed their ways.

2. When changing their ways, they both had difficulties with their past but managed to overcome them(they have their own songs about it to. My Past is Not Today for Sunset and Never Turn Back for Shadow)

5 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

Actually, I disagree. Let me elaborate:

1. Both are introduced as evil counterparts to Sonic/Twi, and were antagonist but changed their ways.

2. When changing their ways, they both had difficulties with their past but managed to overcome them(they have their own songs about it to. My Past is Not Today for Sunset and Never Turn Back for Shadow)

Oh, well in the broad story perspective, I agree.

I thought you meant their literal characters.

So I just watched Forgotten Friendship and honestly... eh, wasn't that impressed. It had a few great moments and lines but the overall thing just felt like one of those shorts only extended into a two-parter. Wallflower (whose name is actually so damn forgettable that I literally just had to go back through my recording to hear it again for this post) is literally the worst villain both EQG and FiM has had. She had absolutely no real motive to do what she did. Seriously, she just wanted to completely ruin someone's life simply because she's too fucking quiet and people don't notice her. Like damn, take a note from Flutters and actually do something about it instead of blaming others. Her entire argument was that Sunset was just being mean to her and she absolutely wasn't. It was a completely ridiculous set up for an antagonist imo.

Now I'm happy to report that I still really enjoy Sunset as a character. Though, with that being said, she is still very much the Starlight of EQG. Right down to her current friendship with Trixie. This is definitely about to add more fire to that little debate in the fandom.

Plus, is it just me or was the animation in this a bit stiffer than usual? I mean the quality of animation definitely takes a hit in this series compared to FiM (it's actually one of the many reasons as to why I try and only watch FiM these days) but it just seemed a lot more noticeable in this compared to previous movies and shorts. A lot more weird arm movements and tweening (which is something that even the first season of FiM didn't do much of) from what I saw.

Not to mention that the two songs they had here were just... super weak imo. I've admittedly been falling off the music hype in this series for a while now but even with previous songs I never rolled my eyes during them like I did here. Luckily, in one of the best moments in the entire feature, they even comment on how poor one of them was so that got a laugh from me. Doesn't excuse the time they wasted on it in the first place but at least they acknowledged it.

As for the Equestria segments, honestly, these were some of those great moments I mentioned earlier. It was great seeing Celestia and Sunset make up (something I honestly didn't think was ever going to happen) though I can definitely see where others will feel a bit off with it as it is a relatively short reunion. It's also always great to see Twilight revert back to her dorky traits and Luna... YAAAS!

got the best damn line in this entire thing she did

full fucking marks there, mmmm

*clears throat* Anyway, overall while this certainly had its moments, I was left feeling overall bored by it. Although, while I'm still hesitant to the idea of Equestria characters getting pulled into EQG... I am open to the idea of them coming to Equestria in the future. Though... at that point I guess you would just make another episode of FiM so... eh.

Okay, I managed to finally find a way to watch all of this thing(because I didn't realize it was coming on this weekend until I inadvertently found it had already started) and I thought Forgotten Friendship was good-ish.

• I thought Twilight was just a tad flanderized here. Specifically, it kinda detracted a bit from the otherwise kind of [dour-harsh(?)] Sunset-Celestia reunion.
  • Wallflower Blush was a brilliant deconstruction take on the whole Remember the New Guy trope, given that none of the major characters really knew who she was despite her knowing some of them for years and it's briefly implied she had a hand in that never really changing despite her wishes. Also, a really clever stealth joke how she is apparently a friend of Muffins, who is essentially the mascot of the Brony fandom.
  • The concept of memory manipulation was a pretty visceral one and it actually lead to a extremely short but nearly choking moment for Sunset towards the end.
  • I do have to say that there was a glaringly odd missed opportunity here, given how continuity heavy this special was: For the first time in forever, they acknowledged that Snips and Snails were Sunset's running crew before her redemption(something Rainbow Rocks forgot, for whatever reason) and they even turn up at the beach serving Trixie as she manipulates the situation(harkening back to their Equestrian debut), yet they don't show up again after that and help in assisting Sunset investigate the source of the missing memories. It always kinda bothered me how both series seemed to be ignoring them despite treating them as fairly distinct recurring characters, but Equestria Girls was easily worse about it and this was especially baffling.
  • Still not sure how I feel about Sci-Twi being a constant presence, but I'll at least concede that she was better "used" here than in Magical Movie Night and I'd honestly be just a little hardpressed to think of an alternative way to make the plot progress without her.
  • As a side note, no Starlight or even Juniper here whatsever, oddly enough. Which is understandable, seeing as they didn't have any role to pay in this story, but I would've thought that they would've at least gotten a mention and/or a cameo.
  • Oh and Flash makes a very oddly timed brief appearance at the start of the climax. And yet he never even gets a funny background event despite witnessing the Humane Seven open fire on Wallflower(at Pinkie's urging, btw).
  • The storytelling was notably tight on this one, so kudos. 
  • A lot of great jokes, with Trixie fastforwarding being the lol moment for me. Though on that note, you definitely tell the "Equestria Girls Cliches" mindset behind the writing is far more prevalent here than in the last one, but unlike that one, it enhanced the enjoyment of this special and didn't feel like just a gag-worthy lampshade that they just ran out of steam in the last five minutes.

17 hours ago, Strickerx5 said:

Wallflower (whose name is actually so damn forgettable that I literally just had to go back through my recording to hear it again for this post) is literally the worst villain both EQG and FiM has had. She had absolutely no real motive to do what she did. Seriously, she just wanted to completely ruin someone's life simply because she's too fucking quite and people don't notice her. Like damn, take a note from Flutters and actually do something about it instead of blaming others. Her entire argument was that Sunset was just being mean to her and she absolutely wasn't. It was a completely ridiculous set up for an antagonist imo.

Well, it's more that her motivation was a very specific one in the form of [not quite jealousy]: her point was that Sunset became one of the most popular and well-liked students within months despite having been a real Scourge amongst the school for years.

It's a feeling that one can easily have due to what they perceive as an unfair position in life, like having a bully become successful and happy while the person they tormented remains miserable despite having been a better person. In fact, it could also be a way of addressing the show's tendency to let the reformed villains' actions go relatively unpunished as a plot point.

But now that you mention, it is weird that she didn't highlight some specific encounter(s) she had with Sunset at some point, given that they went as far as to have her state how long she's known her. I was honestly expecting something to that effect to come out in the climax when she found herself being overwhelmed to the point of just verbalizing her thoughts.

Also, she lets on at one point that she did make efforts to something about it, but those attempts were embaressingly unsuccessful and failed to really change her standing. So she eventually erased them from everyone's memory when she discovered the stone, hence part why no one could remember ever seeing her.

Now I'm happy to report that I still really enjoy Sunset as a character. Though, with that being said, she is still very much the Starlight of EQG. Right down to her current friendship with Trixie. This is definitely about to add more fire to that little debate in the fandom.

Yeah, I realized that towards the end and I can't say I particularly care for that, especially given one of the issues I had with this.

Luna... YAAAS!

got the best damn line in this entire thing she did

full fucking marks there, mmmm

And that was...?

On 2/18/2018 at 2:17 PM, DabigRG said:

Well, it's more that her motivation was a very specific one in the form of [not quite jealousy]: her point was that Sunset became one of the most popular and well-liked students within months despite having been a real Scourge amongst the school for years.

It's a feeling that one can easily have due to what they perceive as an unfair position in life, like having a bully become successful and happy while the person they tormented remains miserable despite having been a better person. In fact, it could also be a way of addressing the show's tendency to let the reformed villains' actions go relatively unpunished as a plot point.

But now that you mention, it is weird that she didn't highlight some specific encounter(s) she had with Sunset at some point, given that they went as far as to have her state how long she's known her. I was honestly expecting something to that effect to come out in the climax when she found herself being overwhelmed to the point of just verbalizing her thoughts.

That's the key thing here though, she never does express exactly what Sunset has done to wrong her. Sunset, for what we know, has been actively improving herself and has been kind to others for quite some time now. She's earned the place she's been given. Wallflower, from what we saw in this feature, had absolutely no reason to fuck with that. As far as this feature shows, Wallflower simply hates that Sunset succeeded where she tried (ever so slightly mind you) but failed. What makes matters even worse is that we're suppose to see Wallflower as this complete nobody so it's entirely possible that even when Sunset was a bully that they never actually had that much interaction with one another. This would further kill any hope of justification Wallflower has in this case.

I wish they had gone more with the angle you saw here but I just don't see where they did. I mean, I guess that's what happens when you only learn of who the villain actually is for 10 minutes (5 of which is really just dead air) before they're "reformed".

On 2/18/2018 at 2:17 PM, DabigRG said:

And that was...?

Spoiler

"This 'faculty lot' you speak of sounds like a place of great power."

That line actually got me to laugh out loud for a bit. It just comes out of no where and Tabitha's delivery of it is spot on. I'm actually surprised that they didn't do more jokes like this. The contrast between Equestria and the human world are just primed for good comedic material.

1 hour ago, Strickerx5 said:

That's the key thing here though, she never does express exactly what Sunset has done so wrong to her. Sunset, for what we know, has been actively improving herself and has been kind to others for quite some time now. She's earned the place she's been given. Wallflower, from what we saw in this feature, had absolutely no reason to fuck with that. As far as this feature shows, Wallflower simply hates that Sunset succeeded where she tried (ever so slightly mind you) but failed. What makes matters even worse is that we're suppose to see Wallflower as this complete nobody so it's entirely possible that even when Sunset was a bully that they never actually had that much interaction with one another. This would further kill any hope of justification Wallflower has in this case.

I wish they had gone more with the angle you saw here but I just don't see where they did. I mean, I guess that's what happens when you only learn of who the villain actually is for 10 minutes (5 of which is really just dead air) before they're "reformed".

Yeah, Wallflower is such a mundane, down to earth villain compared to all the others that while I still guessed she'd be the villain the moment they awkwardly introduced her despite her design, it was interesting to figure out why she'd be the villain and how she managed to pull it off. Thus it's kinda disappointing that they didn't end up following through on what they seemed to be slowly setting up and it's especially weird considering the special seemed to be more consistently smarter and attentive than some of the previous stories have been. 

1 hour ago, Strickerx5 said:

Hide contents

"This 'faculty lot' you speak of sounds like a place of great power."

That line actually got me to laugh out loud for a bit. It just comes out of no where and Tabitha's delivery of it is spot on. I'm actually surprised that they didn't do more jokes like this. The contrast between Equestria and the human world are just primed for good comedic material.

Oh yeah, that one. My connection was chuggin around that point, but yeah, that was a great line. Got a quick brick joke at the end, too.

am i the only one that really liked forgotten friendship? i enjoyed it a lot. i'm glad we saw pony form sunset again and that

sunset shimmer and celestia made up and wallflower blush realized from her mistakes[/spoiler[. all else im gonna say is that i almost cried a few times watching this.

40 minutes ago, Skye said:

am i the only one that really liked forgotten friendship? i enjoyed it a lot. i'm glad we saw pony form sunset again and that

Hide contents

sunset shimmer and celestia made up and wallflower blush realized from her mistakes[/spoiler[. all else im gonna say is that i almost cried a few times watching this.

Oh, I liked it well enough for what it was. It's just that what it was is an "hour" long special and had a few key issues that caused some minor, but still notable oddities.

My thoughts on Forgotten Friendship:

I have to admit, that was the most fun I've had watching Equestria Girls since Rainbow Rocks. The biggest flaw of this special however was Wallflower Blush. I felt her motivation for doing what she did was very weak and could have been handled better.

The biggest highlight of this special though was Sunset finally going back to Equestria and meeting Celestia again. I'm sure we've all waited for this moment to happen and they finally did it!

Twilight squealing over the Canterlot library was just so adorkable! I also really loved the interaction between Sunset and Trixie a la Starlight and Trixie in Equestria. 

One last thing, I have to agree with the others who've said the ending to the climax happened way too quickly. I really wished they had executed that part better.