Awoo.

My Little Pony's Justice 2 - Official MLP Thread v2

Sean

On 2/13/2018 at 8:53 PM, RedFox99 said:

I never got to say: these were some interesting videos this guy and his brohter(?) make. Thanks for linking it!

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I never got to say: these were some interesting videos this guy and his brohter(?) make. Thanks for linking it!

Yeah, he tends to make some good points about certain episodes and subjects regarding MLP.

Oh yeah, Them's Fightin' Herds was released on Steam's early access today.

For those of you that don't know and/or are somewhat new to the fandom (and by new I mean less than about 3 years into it XD) this game actually started its life as a FiM fan project. It was tragically C&D'd by Hasbro in it's final stages and has since been reworked into what we have now with even the help of show staff like Faust and Strong.

For those into fighting games I'd highly recommend it. Been playing it myself and have been having a wonder time. The characters are lively, the animations are charming, and the mechanics seem pretty solid. Hell, the online is even good which is a very rare thing for brand new titles these days; let alone an indie one. Not to mention that the game has some of the lowest system requirements I've seen and it's currently on sale for $11.42 which is a great deal for any fighting game.

It's definitely one of my personal high points in terms of what this fandom has done so far.

It's really a shame that Hasbro C&D'd Fighting is Magic because without the FIM characters or world, I have absolutely no interest in playing that game lol. I'm not exactly a huge fan of non-Smash fighting games in general (I'm really regretting paying $60 for FighterZ), so that was the only real appeal to me.

15 minutes ago, Penny said:

It's really a shame that Hasbro C&D'd Fighting is Magic because without the FIM characters or world, I have absolutely no interest in playing that game lol. I'm not exactly a huge fan of non-Smash fighting games in general (I'm really regretting paying $60 for FighterZ), so that was the only real appeal to me.

Eh, sad but understandable. I know I wouldn't have half the games I do if the main characters were switched. Though, it is worth mentioning that many (if not all) of the characters in there share specific traits with at least one of the main six (especially in terms of fight style seeing as not everything was thrown out from the original).

Still, as far as fighting games go, it's a good time imo.

20 hours ago, Penny said:
  • Glad I saw the MLP Movie for this one reason...

What one reason?

20 hours ago, Penny said:

(I'm really regretting paying $60 for FighterZ)

Since it's still taking for-fuckin-ever to install(80% as of tonight), how is Fighter Z?

So, two questions that came to mind:

How do you think Starlight got her cutie mark?

Do you think Rumble(?) was introduced at the right time or should he have been a recurring antagonist much earlier?

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

So, two questions that came to mind:

How do you think Starlight got her cutie mark?

Do you think Rumble(?) was introduced at the right time or should he have been a recurring antagonist much earlier?

Season 8 will tell us that I think.

Haven't played Them's Fighting Herds (and don't have much interest), but that C&D was the best thing to ever happen to Fighting is Magic imo 'cause the final game looks really good and I think it's better off as its own thing than as an MLP fangame.

3 hours ago, Sean said:

I think it's better off as its own thing than as an MLP fangame.

Eh, I suppose that's true. 

Still, it's a shame that the pony stuff may not be able to be a thing itself.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like a neat twist. Though im more a fan of the human form series. I like the villians more.

7 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

I wonder if any of the movie characters will have any cameos.

That one hippogriff with Fluttershy, Thorax, and Eggcalis(?) seems suspiciously similar to Skystar.

Say, here's a question: I've heard/seen a few people say Starlight is either bland or just kinda boring after her reformation, with characters like Trixie and naturally Discord being occasional comparisons.

With her constantly brought up past in mind, should she have retained a portion of her initial characterization, albeit a tempered variant on it?

36 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Say, here's a question: I've heard/seen a few people say Starlight is either bland or just kinda boring after her reformation, with characters like Trixie and naturally Discord being occasional comparisons.

With her constantly brought up past in mind, should she have retained a portion of her initial characterization, albeit a tempered variant on it?

Which portion?

9 hours ago, DabigRG said:

I mean, I think she already does. She's still somewhat prone to solve problems with magic which is what led her to her little run of communism. Honestly, as someone who actually likes her character, I think she's been handled pretty well post reformation. She's definitely been on a more steady streak than Discord with his on and off quality moments.

Personally, I've never heard someone bring up the argument of her being bland but I do somewhat see it. Though, I will say that it's actually one of the traits I like about her. In a show with as many crazy personalities as there are characters, it's nice to have a more down to earth character in the mix which is the mixture that has made for some of Starlight's best moments. Her being paired with Trixie and Discord (some of the more lively characters in the show on top of being in that reformed category) was a great move imo.

On 3/21/2018 at 9:58 AM, RedFox99 said:

I wonder if any of the movie characters will have any cameos.

I sort of doubt it seeing as I know Hasbro won't pay for their VAs to reprise their roles but who knows. They could easily just hire other VAs that can somewhat match the voices like shows often do when coming from movies (see any Disney cartoon or even direct to video sequels based off the movies). Still, this show has a tendency to forget about even mainstay characters for a while so it wouldn't be anything new to not see them again. Honestly, could go either way.

So I guess here is where I'd list my hopes for this season but seeing as most of it has already been leaked and I know what I am and am not getting... eh, guess I'll skip that part this time around. Season 7 saw the series pick up steam for me again so it'll be interesting to see if 8 can keep it going.

19 hours ago, ShadowSJG said:

Which portion?

Whichever portion tested the best initially.

10 hours ago, Strickerx5 said:

I mean, I think she already does. She's still somewhat prone to solve problems with magic which is what led her to her little run of communism.

I guess.

Honestly, as someone who actually likes her character, I think she's been handled pretty well post reformation. She's definitely been on a more steady streak than Discord with his on and off quality moments.

Eh, there are a few issues that have lingered with her, but I do think she's had a relatively good tenure, all things considered.

Personally, I've never heard someone bring up the argument of her being bland but I do somewhat see it. Though, I will say that it's actually one of the traits I like about her. In a show with as many crazy personalities as there are characters, it's nice to have a more down to earth character in the mix which is the mixture that has made for some of Starlight's best moments. 

That is true. They just need to learn to have more major appearances actually focus on and be driven by her character. 

Her being paired with Trixie and Discord (some of the more lively characters in the show on top of being in that reformed category) was a great move imo.

I don't know about Discord, but yeah, Trixie is one of the best things to happen with Starlight.

Starlight wouldn't be half as annoying as she is if the show didn't waste every second line of dialogue reminding us how she used to be evil

Also none of her episodes are really any good.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Sean said:

Starlight wouldn't be half as annoying as she is if the show didn't waste every second line of dialogue reminding us how she used to be evil

Yeah, that's definitely a major issue. Albeit, one that they've started to back off on, as far as I remember.

I wouldn't mind it as much if they actually did stuff with it instead of incessantly labeling her for the sake of it.

9 hours ago, Sean said:

Also none of her episodes are really any good.

Every character has at least two good episodes, if not more. Starlight has The Crystalling, All Bottled Up, To Change a Changeling, and Uncommon Bond (one of S7's best). All four are good.

And Starlight is the best written of the Mane Eight last season. Her appearances were much more frequent in quantity, but her characterization showed growth and was the most consistent in overall quality without a poor role. Unlike S6, she feels like she belongs with not just the ReManing group, but also the rest of Ponyville. Everything she learned for the last two seasons culminated into Shadow Play, her best appearance and role so far.

6 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Every character has at least two good episodes, if not more. Starlight has The Crystalling, All Bottled Up, To Change a Changeling, and Uncommon Bond (one of S7's best). All four are good.

And Starlight is the best written of the Mane Eight last season. Her appearances were much more frequent in quantity, but her characterization showed growth and was the most consistent in overall quality. Unlike S6, she feels like she belongs with not just the ReManing group, but also the rest of Ponyville. Everything she learned for the last two seasons culminated into Shadow Play.

I'm not sure why you always do this thing where you reply to someone's opinion with the pretense that they're wrong for thinking that way.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Sean said:

I'm not sure why you always do this thing where you reply to someone's opinion with the pretense that they're wrong for thinking that way.

An opinion is always up to question. Not only do I strongly disagree with your claim that Starlight hasn't had good episodes so far, but also firmly argue your claim outright.

(That said, I'm not as upfront or hard-lined as I once was.)

1. The Crystalling: This is easily one of the more low-key and slower-paced two-parters out there, but the roles involved made sense. For Starlight and Spike, this was the birth of their chemistry, and the way they behaved and interacted with their environment and each other created good moments. Starlight, for example, met Sunburst for the first time since they split up, and Sunburst's life, like Starlight's, wasn't pretty and quite reclusive because he saw himself as a failure for not being able to live up to his potential as a filly.

2. All Bottled Up: One of the more underrated episodes of the show. Of the premiere episodes for S7, I'm of the group who considers this one to be the better of the two. Trixie's behavior made complete sense. Why? Because she performed complicated magic for the first time since probably ever. Everything Trixie does is illusion-related, and even then she's raw when it comes to this field. Her ability to transport and transfigure objects is a very new experience for her. She got carried away, but her reaction is understandable.

Meanwhile, Starlight learned from Every Little Thing She Does by correcting its primary problem: going for broke as a last resort instead of the first. SG and Trixie fell out during No Second Prances, and Starlight feared that yelling at her and being verbally abusive to her will cause their friendship to fall out again, probably for good this time. Her desperate decision to bottle up her angry magic took a major toll on her, because she was so emotionally exhausted. Her actions had major consequences.

3. To Change a Changeling: Unlike the others, this episode doesn't handle Starlight's role as well as it should've. Starlight's snappy judgment of Pharynx as a lost cause was out of character of her, and her decision to lure the Maulwurf to the Changeling Kingdom was very reckless. The good thing here is Thorax called her and Trixie out for this, and the episode treated what they did as wrong. When comparing it to other episodes in S7, this was her worst appearance, but it's okay at worst.

But other parts were really strong. The dialogue very early had a boatload of organic chemistry, and Trixie's and Starlight's jabs at each other were really hilarious. But Pharynx (and his relationship with Thorax) was the true star of the episode. Pharynx is a lot like an old grandpa, who dislikes how much it's changing. But his grumpy behavior is very believable for a very key reason: Under Thorax's rule, the Kingdom lost their ability to fight and defend their hive against invaders, and the Maulwurf is well-known in the kingdom. He didn't change because he doesn't want to lose his warrior skills and put their lives in danger.

TCAC began a major trend for the rest of the season. Rather than painting Pharynx as entirely in the wrong and Starlight/Trixie and the hive in the right, "Both Sides Have a Point." To echo a post I wrote offsite:

The changelings hated him around, because he was way too aggressive, and his desire to keep it the way it was destroyed the progress. OTOH, Pharynx was the only one who fought to preserve the kingdom and didn't appreciate them talking shit behind his back. The fight scene, contrivance notwithstanding, provides closure in that both Pharynx and the changeling hive understand how much they need each other.

Several episodes in the second half were written under this vision, and almost all of them came out in the better for it.

4. Uncommond Bond: This was one such episode to operate under this trope, and the script allows the audience to empathize both Sunburst and Starlight, depending on your perspective.

To start with Starlight, Sunburst was her only friend, so she was justifiably excited to make up for lost time and be with him. She wants to bond with him better by trying to find things in common with each other, only for her to be bored with them and be left behind as Sunburst bonds more and more with Twi, Trixie, and Maud. To echo a friend offsite, the episode demonstrates her growth and development both from others and during UB very subtly. Even at the cost of her own enjoyment, she allows Sunburst to have a good time with her friends, showing us as an audience her growth from Every Little Thing and even A Royal Problem here. US seeing her becoming more and more demoralized as Sunburst bonds with others makes us relate to her on a very emotional level. Her decision to magically recreate their pastime as fillies was disturbing, but not performed in a way that suggests she's stuck in her old tactics. She wants to bond with Sunburst and is desperate. So when he rejects her offer to bond, it becomes soul-crushing.

OTOH, Sunburst doesn't outshine or ignore her from malice, and he's not acting like an asshole to her. Sunburst shared several interests with her friends and bonded with them naturally. Their hobbies matched his liking, and he shared that with them. He got carried away, but the episode makes it clear he didn't overshadow SG with ill intentions. He really likes her and considers her a really good friend, and sometimes friends argue or have friction. When he works with Maud, Trixie, and Twilight to utilize their strengths and create a life-size game of Dragon Pit, it was done because he cares about her, and the way SG was written earlier shows that with a clear, sympathetic picture.