Awoo.

My Little Pony's Justice 2 - Official MLP Thread v2

Sean

Spoiler

Oooh boy... where to even begin... You know, I'm going to hold off on what anyone who even half knows me thinks I'm feeling atm with the show trying to, basically, write my favorite character out of the final season. Like don't get me wrong, it's taking A LOT from me just to keep from ranting here but there are a number of ways of looking at this. For starters, maybe this is for the best...

Yeah I know, hurts me to say that but if there's one thing the show writers have consistently proven over the past 8 seasons, it's that they can't write for these two when it comes to more serious episodes. Most of the time, don't know how to work in their supposed powers so they often just choose to take them out during the first round (often in the most ridiculous of ways). Maybe just choosing to have them willingly sit out for these final few ones is better. I've always said that if they can't write them in properly, they should just leave them out.

Hell, this might be the best scenario. We could get an episode about the two just being themselves and not having to deal with anything business related. Could be a "we're changing the roles we play but we're still going to be around" situation or something.

Another way of looking at this is that it could very easily be a fake out. That shot of them in the Crystal Empire could allude to that (though it could also just be a flashback).

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that I'm not going to lean too heavily on any theory atm. I'm probably just going to wait and see how this all plays out. My soul is telling me to be pretty damn worried but my mind is holding that off a bit. Guess they really are somewhat following Faust's original plans for the show. Doesn't help the "Twilight is Celestia 2.0" arguments but hey.

And that's not even going into the rest of what this trailer shows. I'll keep things short and just say that the rest of it looks rather interesting to me. Though I am a bit concerned about the whereabouts of Chrysalis as her arc is no where near finished (could be saving here for the season finale or something)... or she could've shape shifted to Sombra... nah, that'd be too clever.

Also am a bit worried about how many characters they have to work with now. Just going off the trailer alone, it's clear to see how the cast has ballooned in 8 seasons. Hope they can handle each character well (hell, didn't even see Starlight anywhere in there). Again, we'll just have to wait and see. Hopefully this is more of a season opener trailer and less of a "wait till the end of the season to find out exactly what the hell is happening" sort of deal.

Welp, one thing's for sure. So much for this being more of a laid back season...

@Strickerx5 

Hopefully the writers finally learn to write the Royal Sisters much better this season. Maybe with some hope they can get their own episode like you or even move to Ponyville so they can be featured more. And about Chrysalis, I think the hope that the Mean 6 wouldn't be a completely pointless episode may have been dashed.

7 hours ago, AdventChild said:

Looks like we have a confirmed date, April 6th for the premiere, plus a new trailer.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/my-little-pony-sets-final-season-discovery-family-1193235?utm_source=twitter

Reveal hidden contents

Celestia and Luna retiring and handing over rule to the Mane cast? Eh doubt it'll last that long esp. with getting rid of fan favorites as them.

Da foq?

Spoiler

Her expression makes me wonder if it's an episode or two about why that could be a bad idea.

Couldn't help but notice Starlight is nowhere to be seen in that.

Also, that music throughout reminds me of something.

3 hours ago, Strickerx5 said:

Hide contents

And that's not even going into the rest of what this trailer shows. I'll keep things short and just say that the rest of it looks rather interesting to me. Though I am a bit concerned about the whereabouts of Chrysalis as her arc is no where near finished (could be saving here for the season finale or something)... or she could've shape shifted to Sombra... nah, that'd be too clever.

Welp, one thing's for sure. So much for this being more of a laid back season...

I remember thinking she would be the brains of the villains for Season 8's finale.

Which is a bit out there, perhaps, but it's not like the precedent hadn't been established.

3 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

@Strickerx5 

Hide contents

Hopefully the writers finally learn to write the Royal Sisters much better this season. Maybe with some hope they can get their own episode like you or even move to Ponyville so they can be featured more. 

That's my assumption looking at this, since such a change/"change" would likely come with elaborating on what happened with the originals.

Just finished the movie and it's decent, but it does suffer from a lot of missed opportunities. The animation was nice, though I do agree with you that the movie didn't take enough advnatage of it. I definitely can't say I liked how the other princesses got shafted again, the Seaquestria plot wasn't really needed in the end, the cast felt a bit crowded, and some characters like Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy felt like they regressed a lot (granted it may be because the film was written around s4 and s5). 

I will admit that the music is nice though I skipped through most of the songs and I did like the work that the celebs did. 

1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

Just finished the movie and it's decent, but it does suffer from a lot of missed opportunities. The animation was nice, though I do agree with you that the movie didn't take enough advnatage of it. I definitely can't say I liked how the other princesses got shafted again, the Seaquestria plot wasn't really needed in the end, the cast felt a bit crowded, and some characters like Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy felt like they regressed a lot (granted it may be because the film was written around s4 and s5). 

I will admit that the music is nice though I skipped through most of the songs and I did like the work that the celebs did. 

With who?

Unfortunately, with the powerscale and loads of established elements, the movie was bound to run into an issue when it comes to "topping."

Also, Hippogriffs were originally supposed to show up during the fighting in Canterlot, but they decided against it because they wanted to keep the focus on the Mane Six.

5 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Also, Hippogriffs were originally supposed to show up during the fighting in Canterlot, but they decided against it because they wanted to keep the focus on the Mane Six.

It does kind of harm the movie a little by making the whole Seaquestria plot point rather useless; and even then, not all of the Mane six get much focus such Applejack and Fluttershy, so it might've been just to cut the whole subplot of the film and focus more on the main characters (granted, that probably wouldn't be feasible due to Hasbro probably wanting to market as much toys as possible).

5 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

With who?

Stricker

1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

It does kind of harm the movie a little by making the whole Seaquestria plot point rather useless; and even then, not all of the Mane six get much focus such Applejack and Fluttershy, so it might've been just to cut the whole subplot of the film and focus more on the main characters (granted, that probably wouldn't be feasible due to Hasbro probably wanting to market as much toys as possible).

Stricker

Well that and seaponies were apparently a long time coming.

But yeah, Fluttershy didn't get much to do.

22 hours ago, AdventChild said:

Looks like we have a confirmed date, April 6th for the premiere, plus a new trailer.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/my-little-pony-sets-final-season-discovery-family-1193235?utm_source=twitter

Hide contents

Celestia and Luna retiring and handing over rule to the Mane cast? Eh doubt it'll last that long esp. with getting rid of fan favorites as them.

That was the most bittersweet trailer they could produce and I'm already being hit in the feels. It's going to be an emotional rollercoaster ride when the last episode airs.

4 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

To y'all: What are your personal hopes for this season?

To get some nice resolution(in more ways than one) for the cast and story overall.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

Silver tackles one of the most 2 parters in a different way than usual.

Yep, that is definitely one of the most 2 parters.

• Nice Smile 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well that was... certainly a season opener. They threw in. quite a bit here. The pacing was all over the place.

I guess I'll start with the whole princesses and their retirements bit. I'm half and half on it all honestly. The whole attitude around undermining them is in full force but hey, this certainly wasn't anywhere near their worst showing (as sad as that fact is). They actually did something here! I'll be it, it's really them only getting a minor upgrade from fighting back clouds to fighting vines but hey, it was something. I also greatly appreciate how it was heavily implied that they often chose to sit things out simply to give the mane six the practice. That's been a fan theory since the early days and this is the closest confirmation to that theory we've gotten.

Although... (incoming small rant)-

Spoiler

the writers can fuck off with that jab about the princesses being useless. Yeah, thanks to this show not really having a consistent writing team and with them always having to have the mane six be the ones to fix 95% of the problems , it's a known problem that most of the other background characters get fucked over in the process. The last thing the show needed was to joke about it. Not gonna lie, my Luna bias is in full swing atm so that joke gets a strong two birds way up from me. Though, again, thanks to that fan theory being all but confirmed one could easily write that joke off. At least, that's what I'm going to choose to do cause if I didn't... oh boy, I'd be here all day.

Anyways, as for the rest of the actual opener, I'd say it was pretty decent for the most part. Again, the pacing was way off at points with them trying to set up, what I imagine to be, all of season 9's plot points in 45 minutes. Although, those cues they put out do seem to be interesting ones. I love the idea of the villains working together as it sort of had a Team Rocket vibe going on with it. There's a lot of ways they can take this idea, especially with that new guy. It's always great to see ideas and characters taken from previous generations and given a Gen 4 revision. Can't wait to see where this leads.

I also generally liked the the interactions between everyone here. Especially with Spike finally treated more like a 7th member of the main team instead of his usual sidekick role (at least for those earlier scenes). Discord was also a nice surprise here. Usually for these mane six centered episodes he doesn't even show up but to have him play such a large role and actually help out plus never really antagonize them... it was a nice, rare, change of pace.

Though, I feel like I should really highlight that pacing again as it really is my main con coming from the actual episodes. A lot of characters just get swept under the rug with it, almost to the point where I even forgot that they were in here imo. That entire Crystal Empire part came and went in a second. I guess it was suppose to feel like that (as to give the mane six a false sense of confidence) but damn, that was like an entire finale arc squeezed into 5 minutes.

So yeah... overall, a very interesting opener. Truth be told, I think it came out a bit better than I was expecting from the the news we got a month back, but only time will tell where it lands in my book. It seems to be entirely dependent on what happens during the season so I'll probably circle back to this towards the end of it all.

But yeah, we're officially in the final season of this crazy show. I started watching this thing around this time in 2011 so that's 8 years coming to a boil here. Here's hoping that they can end strong.

Also, as a side note... The Tree of Harmony is still destroyed... shouldn't the Everfree forest still be growing out of control...?

Yeah, as you can guess this is a mostly positive review.

@Strickerx5 

If it makes you feel anybody, the Sisters and Starswirl help with the Everfree forest, so it isn't completely them acting like joking about a problem is a good solution to the problem. Though sadly Cadance and SA still get shafted again.

Well in the words of Pinkie: "That was **amazing**!

No, really, this was one of the best if not the best season premieres yet! I loved the set up for "the League of Villains vs The Elements of Harmony League" I can tell this is going to quite a season-long arc and it's really going to set up for one big showdown come the series finale!

"I'm just a kid", "Twilighting", Discord's antics all made for some really funny moments and I love how self-aware things got.

It's great to Gorgar return (as rumored) and the dynamic between Chrysalis and Cozy Glow was great and I hope to see be developed further.

With a strong start like this, I can't wait to see how the rest of the season plays out!

It’s the Beginning of the End for the start of the final season of FiM. And marking the return of a villain! Well, a weak villain from a weak season, S3, that even the announcement of his return I felt rather ho-hum. But does the premiere convince me otherwise and do a turn around?

Eh, not really. Kinda mixed on this one.

Things to like: the whole league of villains is interesting enough but feels like there should’ve been more villains there to feel like a greater threat. Yet still like to see where this goes. Some parts with Pinkie Pie and mostly with Discord.

I just really didn’t like the whole putting down the princesses and referring to their uselessness as a joke. It doesn’t excuse bad inconsistent writing in the slightest and how the writers keep changing over the seasons doesn’t help. Pointing out the plot holes/devices doesn’t make them go away. Also, the retirement angle felt a bit force and doesn’t make sense in a way. I mean, how was there a period of peace in Equestria for years? You mean, in intervals between seasons when the threats happen with yearly gaps? Because even though they stopped threats in the past, didn’t mean that all the dangers stopped coming. It would’ve made sense if the sisters were just taking a vacation and have Twilight and friends take care of things when they’re gone.

Yeah, Sombra is just an evil tyrant through and through where egotism was his downfall and just didn’t do it for me. Sure, he destroyed the tree and all, but still. Also, as usual, Shining and Cadence gets shafted a bit early too. The pacing is also a bit everywhere too, hopping between multiple locations and throwing in many characters. Twilight panicking felt tiring along with the whole relying on others thing.

Overall, it’s a mixed bag for me.

• Promotion 2

Finally got around to watching The Beginning of the End

I agree with Mr. Strickler that the pacing was really goin at it. The thing is this even extended to the dialogue at times--whenever the villains were together, I thought the pacing was fine enough--their gathering aside, which is likely intentional. But in scenes like when Twilight is talking to Starlight or when Pinkie is reacting to the cake, I honestly felt like I should be whipping my head from dizziness.

Onto some of the more detailed stuff

Spoiler

So Grogar, huh? I'm honestly not familiar with the older MLP stuff beyond what I've gleaned from TVTropes and Nostalgia Chick, but I think I recall seeing his name somewhere. I'm assuming his backstory with the windy pony and the bell is a sly reference to his original story? Anyway, I gotta say, having the big mastermind creating a Legion of Doom be a big blue Ram with a gold bell-less collar is not what I would've expected. Honestly, he looks a tad goofy, with even Chrysalis's recounting of his backstory almost seeming a bit played for laughs. But from what we're told and demonstrated, not to mention Sombra being used as the decoy villain for comparison, he's probably gonna break out some sinister stuff throughout the Season.

I'm kinda wondering if he'll be looking for more villains and even monsters to join his cause in the future. Chrysalis makes some weird amount of sense and Tirek & Cozy being in Tartarus made them ripe for the picking, but even with the oddball that was Sombra(I'll get to him, though) out the way, I can't imagine this would be it. I have a good idea of who might get an episode of being considered, but that'll come later. But yeah, he mentions that he created(?) various monsters that he let roam Equestria back when he had his bell, so I'm assuming gaining control over some fearsome beast may also be on the table. Oh and Cozy Glow is hilarious.

Onto the functioning Big Bad himself, Sombra's portrayal was weird here. When he was materializing into Grogar's lair, I honestly thought for a second that his laugh must've be the mastermind villain. But no, that's legit what he sounds like in this--the guy who did Fluttershy's male voice? I'm really not all that sure as to why that is. I was expecting them to have him speak that way at times, but revert to his Umbrum voice either once he started attacking or at least have it be an mental effect he has on his victims. Maybe they could've even had one of the other villains hang a lampshade that he doesn't sound anything like what you'd think from the tales of his reign.His laughs are great for the most part, though.

Anyway, because of how...sassy he came off, there was a bit of a disconnect with what was actually happening initially--like they were being totally obvious about him not being threatening to save the real impending doom for the others to make a helluva first impression. As it went on though, they were clearly keeping his no-nonsense approach to tactics in play for the most part. I honestly didn't see him showing up to destroy the tree, to the point that I wondered if he actually hid within the elements themselves of something at first. So overall, he did an effective job showing what a practical steamroller he is in his normal state. It's just his voice and it's accompanying attitude rubbed me weird.

To talk about the overarching plot stuff, I honestly don't get the way Celestia and Luna's decision was handled. Like, they realized the Mane Six have tested exceedingly well as appropriate successors to rule Equestria--okay. The Official Coronation being in a few days--kinda hasty and dickish there, but fine. But what was up with their take back in the end? I'm blanking on exactly what they said, but something about that made the whole thing not feel right. Also, not quite sure why Twilight need to ask Starlight if she could watch over the school while they fight Sombra when she already said that school was out before.

As for some of the other touches that could've been nice, I'll have to think about it.

1 minute ago, SBR2 said:

Ok admittedly this is not Sonic related but Ian Flynn is hinting at a My Little Pony project! 

https://mobile.twitter.com/IanFlynnBKC/status/1116046619206668289

Apparently a big one since it "adds to the lore" though I'm not sure how much more can be added at this point since Friendship is Magic is ending. 

Holy news, REAL SHIT!

On one hand I'm excited for that.

On the other hand I fear for his life because going from Sonic fans to bronies is...uhhhh...

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Celestia said:

On the other hand I fear for his life because going from Sonic fans to bronies is...uhhhh...

The ones I know are way more chill than any sonic fan i have met.

Though to be fair I met them through a non mlp site regardless  he will be fine

1 minute ago, Shadowlax said:

The ones I know are way more chill than any sonic fan i have met.

I was deep in that fandom for five years. In my experience, Sonic fans are nothing in comparison.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Celestia said:

:lol:

Eh, who knows? If hes lucky, itll be easy as cupcakes.