Sean

My Little: Pony's Justice - Official MLP Thread v2

Question: Is the brony fandom going to make the transition from G4 to G5? I mean, the fandom has basically prided itself on NOT being a general MLP fanbase (not being into the previous generations) but rather specifically a MLP:G4 fanbase. So once G4 ends, are bronies in general just going to stick with being into only G4 for all eternity, or are they going to migrate to G5? Obviously the answer is that it will vary from person to person but, again, I'm speaking in general terms...

As for me personally, I actually belong to those few people of male gender who was into MLP even before G4 came along, namely I was into G1 for purely nostalgic reasons since it happened to have been one of my favorite shows when I was a small child. So I've already seen MLP generations come and go, and frankly I haven't been all that interested in any of the newer generations, instead mostly just being curious as to how much content from G1 will carry over to the newer incarnations (from this perspective G4 has been a mixed bag, sometimes going entire seasons without anything new from G1 being adapted, but with characters like Tirek, Grogar or the Smooze nevertheless popping up frequently enough for me to keep having an eye on the show). So when G5 comes along it will pretty much be buisness as usual for me.

So just to say something on 2,4,6,Great real quick, that episode seemed like a case where it sounded like a cleverly simple idea, but ultimately came across as rather lazy. Whether that's purely on the execution or not is up for interpretation.

About the only noteworthy aspects are how they tried to give Snips something to do character-wise and how Celestia equipped her team with things to both aid & limit their playing, although I can't say they were that well implemented. Oh and I guess Ocellus's voice not being projected while she flipped was a nice attention to detail.

I can't help but feel this episode would've been better if Rainbow at least pretended to give the smallest bit by at least making the most basic of suggestions(which is what the montage amounted to) and/or if Snips took over as the acting coach during practice since he had a "vested interest" and often made the decisions when it was just him & Snails.

It was certainly telling that there were around 6 minutes to go with the technical runtime when they were ready; made me think we were gonna see some actual Buckball amongst the teams.

On 8/10/2019 at 5:55 PM, AdventChild said:

This week is 2, 4, 6, Great starring RD and her reluctance with cheer leading.

The episode was rather meh all things considered.

RD’s attitude was bad for the most part. However, the plot felt very forced because of how Twilight basically pulled a Celestia 2.0 and spurred it on by making her friends do much of the coaching on such short notice within a tight deadline along with neglecting to ask if they wanted to or not. Also, the writing and humor were boring as a result of RD’s attitude and Snips greedy priorities was a flat lined joke that ran on for too long.

Very so-so episode overall.

Essentially.

On 8/10/2019 at 10:27 PM, 8ther said:

Judging from the past few pages, you guys don’t seem very impressed with the final season so far.

Eh, I personally like how they're trying to pull out some stops and do some interesting things, but you can kinda tell these middle episodes are sorta there to fill up space. This one in particular felt like it was coasting.

Plus, I suppose there's also the matter of different preferences as influence and there not being that many people commenting.

On 8/11/2019 at 12:43 AM, Strickerx5 said:

While I'm not the biggest fan of Dash, it was still kind of annoying to see her be given the idiot ball this time around. Her willfully neglecting her responsibility to help the cheerleaders seems like something we'd see season 1 Dash do, not 9 seasons in. She really brought down the episode and, with this being a Dash episode,... that's a big blow.

Definitely agree.

This week’s episode is A Trivial Pursuit, focusing ofTwilight and Pinkie.

This one was alright for the most part.

I did like Sunburst, Fluttershy and Bulk Biceps.

RD and AJ competitiveness reared its ugly head in this one too. Not as bad as Noncompetitive Clause mind you, but still slightly annoying. Speaking of annoyances, Pinkie was somewhat like this during the first half of the episode and not knowing flint was questionable but what took the cake was Twilight freaking out getting tiresome after a while and was bad on how she had Pinkie disqualified like that which hurt the second act, rather cringe-inducing to say the least.

An Ok episode overall.

Gotta say, I enjoyed this one quite a bit.

This was some vintage, early show Twi. Right from the start it felt like an episode from one of the earlier seasons with her getting obsessive over something in a fun way. Now I will stop here and say that yes, it is a bit hypocritical of me here to be praising the show for reverting a character back to her pre-character growth self when I just knocked an episode last week for doing the same thing. Though, in defense I'll say that the two characters in question are the furthest away you can get from a similar situation. Dash, back in earlier seasons, was terrible. Her growth in later seasons only helped her imo. Twi, on the other hand, actively got worse for me as the show went on. They seemingly took out the character traits that made her fun to watch for the sake of her ascension to royalty. Them going a bit back on that in this episode really helped.

Anyways, this was a fun one to me. Even straight down to its initial conflict. It's like playing a competitive game online with others. Like, "Ok guys, one more game and I should finally be able to rank up. Let's win this!" But then you get paired with someone who doesn't care about their rank and is only there for fun (though admittedly that's me most of the time). It was fun seeing that scenario play out in an organic way. Pinkie would join a trivia event both for the lols and simply because a lot of her friends are there. Twi would be dead eager to win such an event. The set-up was great and it was executed pretty well too.

Though, I can see how the antics of both Twi and Pinkie here could've gotten annoying. Both did seem to go a tad bit overboard in certain instances, being handed the stupid ball for the briefest of moments, just to get the episode into the next phase.

But for me, overall, I really liked this one. Can't really find much wrong with it and I simply enjoyed seeing the characters acting to their personalities instead of to the actual plot of the episode for the most part.

A Trivial Pursuit felt like a bit of mess, but a fun one.

Okay, really what it comes down to is that it repeatedly ducks the expected moral or resolution in favor of having some fun with it's characters and continuity. Even if the characters, like Cranky and especially Matilda, don't do much.

Kinda had to laugh at Muffins being locked out; what an odd whiplash of a gag. And Granny Smith and Rainbow got a good barb in at one point. Oh and the implication Starlight had some sort of breakdown keeping score.

Kinda thought Twilight was setting herself up to lose and was gonna deserve at a point.. In general, the conflict reminded me of one of Mr. Enter's old videos.

So, asking as someone who hasn't bothered keeping up with the show for years: with the way they've been building things up, the finale's going to be the standard adventurey two parter, right? I'm honestly slightly disappointed by that...as weird as this might sound, I was hoping they'd end on a slice of life episode, mostly because that's the part of the show I enjoyed more (and it's what most of the show is like anyway).

6 minutes ago, Celestia said:

So, asking as someone who hasn't bothered keeping up with the show for years: with the way they've been building things up, the finale's going to be the standard adventurey two parter, right? I'm honestly slightly disappointed by that...as weird as this might sound, I was hoping they'd end on a slice of life episode, mostly because that's the part of the show I enjoyed more (and it's what most of the show is like anyway).

Adventure episodes with stakes and a villain is how the show started and aside from the Season 1 finale, how it's always started & ended a season.

With that said, what kind of slice of life would be suitable for the end of the show?

On 8/19/2019 at 5:49 PM, Celestia said:

Ngl, was sort of hoping for that too before the news came. The show is always very hit or miss with these specials as, a lot of the time, the writers don't really know how to handle a majority of the characters in them. It often just ends up being one of them or a small group (sometimes not even the mane six) who end up actually getting a good showing while the rest are either given the idiot ball or completely messed over; sometimes both.

Just now, DabigRG said:

Thinking about it, isn't this one of the earlier shows that were somewhat meta in recognizing opinions of it's fanbase?

It became the trendy thing to do during its earlier seasons, yeah. Though a lot of people argue regarding exactly how much good it did. Some people love the call outs, others hate them. Some think it added to the shows appeal, others think it actively killed the experience.

As for me, eh. Use to love the stuff but now I'm a bit jaded on it. More into the well written nods than straight out jabs tbh.

24 minutes ago, Strickerx5 said:

It became the trendy thing to do during its earlier seasons, yeah. Though a lot of people argue regarding exactly how much good it did. Some people love the call outs, others hate them. Some think it added to the shows appeal, others think it actively killed the experience.

As for me, eh. Use to love the stuff but now I'm a bit jaded on it. More into the well written nods than straight out jabs tbh.

I suppose that's fair. Of course, nowadays, a level of self-awareness in a series is more commonplace and a potential sticking point. 

I do feel like it's better and/or more appropriate when it leads to certain characters and plot elements being further utilized and/or improved upon in it's own space. Of course, I suppose it's entirely possible for them to end up crossing the wires, which is probably why we got things like how confounding Starlight can be.