Awoo.

Which do you prefer more: SA1/2 or Colors/Generations?

Narukami07

I'm still disappointed that there wasn't a joke about how starting levels tend to be so similar. Tails just straight up said the Green Hill didn't seem familiar even though he's been in plenty of lookalikes.

And soundalikes!

Actually, it really bothered me that GHZ just seemed "awfully familiar" to Sonic, and that CPZ only gave Tails a strange sense of déjà vu. Did they not outright remember those locations? The Japanese scripts rectified this IIRC, though the English scripts are what came first. Knuckles also referred to Sky Sanctuary as his (totally awesome) while Blaze explicitly did remember Crisis City, when it's the one thing nobody should have remembered! I'd say  something about Stardust Speedway too, if not for the fact that S4 decided to make the bad ending canon :P It was details like that, or rather the lack thereof, that made Generations feel way below the Adventure games- very poor continuity. Colours gets this wrong too. Eggman referring to Earth as "Sonic's world" was kind of painful. It was like a complete disregard for not only all the previous games, but also Unleashed as the direct predecessor to Colours. Even if not directly related, the Adventure series managed to maintain a sense of continuity.

• Thumbs Up 6

I really enjoyed Sonic Adventure. Well, apart from the fishing but as I'm sure I have said before, it's only a small part of the game and I never replay it. So, whatevs. I like the story in SA as well, and I like the little nudges in character development such as Tails deciding to grow a pair, Amy deciding she's going to kick some butt... SA2 I have to say I replay far less. I like playing as Sonic and Shadow, and perhaps as Eggman too (EEYO!) but its story I have to say I don't like as much as SA1.

Never played Colours, but I like what I have seen of it. Generations I am not sure if I can count, because it is such a massive nostalgfest and yes the story does bug me a little. But I cannot deny it's well made, enjoyable to play and is a game I keep coming back to. Having said that, I will always always love the 2D games much more than any of the modern ones because well, I am an old codger at the end of the day! :D

So yeah, I guess I have to go with SA1/2 because I know more of them, but Generations is a game I enjoy too.

This is really easy..

Sonic Adventure 1. I don't know why but I just hated SA2.

Then Generations. Colors just didn't feel like a Sonic game to me.

Generations hands down....never played colours on the wii but liked the DS version. The only thing that gripes me about Generations is that (as someone said) Stardust Speedway Bad Future seems to be made cannon....unless Metal Sonic is from another space time dimention where he only survived in a bad future (I mean its possible)

That and the Vector mini level with the musical note  - I HATED that with a vengence.

I've mentioned my thoughts on SA2 on a previous thread (its not positive! LOL) And I think SA1 is ok - but not great. The classic elements of Genrations, along with a failry consistent playing style makes it my prefered choice.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've not played Colours, so I'll have to omit it from this reply.

I think I'd have to pick Generations. When it comes to games, I think the gameplay and fun factor are the most important aspects of a game. (especially fun factor- some games that I've played are horrible from an objective standpoint but I still like them). Generations doesn't really have any sections that I don't look forward to. The closest would be classic Planet Wisp, but even then it's not terrible; if they didn't overuse the spike power so much in the level then it would be a lot better.

Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 are very good games but both have bits that I really don't look forward to playing, particularly knuckles/rouge levels in SA2, which take up about a third of the game. Big's fishing is awful but at least it only takes up a small amount of the main story and the levels don't take very long to beat. 

I don't actually mind Eggman/Tails' levels in SA2, even though I prefer Gamma's shooting stages in the previous game. I guess that's because it at least feels like I'm actually progressing, whereas I can go for ages in a Knuckles/Rouge level without finding anything.

Generations just has fast platforming levels in two different styles. They may not be perfect but I find them very fun to play, which to me is what matters. Some of the missions are a real pest but they're only a small part of the game.

One thing that Adventure 1 and 2 do much better is the story. They may be riddled with plot holes (especially in the case of SA2) but it at least felt like the story progressed as you went through the levels. In SA1 you'd end up in a different part of the hub (or a different hub) when you finish a level and in both games you are normally treated to a cutscene. In Generations? More often than not the only cutscene is a short clip of a character unfreezing and thanking Sonic. Then you end up back where you started. I've said in other threads that this just makes it seem like Sonic went through the level for a laugh. The rival battles are even worse. They just start out like this:

"Hey Sonic! let's fight!"

"Yeahsurewhatever"

and then the battle begins, and not much happens after you've beaten it. There's no context to the rival battles or the bosses. They're just kinda there.

So I think I like Generations more than the Adventures, but only really for the game itself and I think the Adventures did better in terms of story. They just suffer from having large sections that aren't very fun.

I never actually played Colors, but I loved both Sonic Adventure 2 and Generations. Sonic Adventure 2: Battle was the first Sonic game I ever played, and I loved it. Sonic Adventure 1 was okay-ish, but in my eyes, Sonic Adventure 2 will be far superior.

As for Generations, it came at a time in my life when I started growing out of Sonic. Then, I saw Generations and was pretty much just like "F*** you maturity nostalgia awaaaaaaaay". Sadly, it would be another couple of years before I could actually buy it. When I got it, I loved it, and the music was spectacular. My only gripe with it is that it was too short in the main story aspect.

In Sonic Adventure 2, there was a total of 30 Hero and Dark stages, plus Cannon's Core, bringing it to 31 levels. With Generations, there were only 9. Counting both acts in Generations would raise it up to 18 levels, as both Sonics have different gameplay. However, in Sonic Adventure 2, there are 5 ACTS per level. 31x5=155 STAGES. I'm not judging Generations due to length, because I loved them both, but the deciding factor between the two would have to be the length of the game, and Sonic Adventure 2 is superior.

If I were to choose a pair of games, I would choose option C: Sonic Adventure 2/Sonic Generations

• Thumbs Up 1

Though Colors and Generations are both fantastic games that I currently still play every once in a while, the nostalgia I have for SA1 and SA2 steals the competition. All 4 games are so good, but I grew up playing the Adventures. Hell, SA2 was the first video game I ever beat. 

So yeah, I'll keep it short and sweet and leave it at that. 

Well, the adventures are filled with those garbage alternate playstyles that don't belong in the series like treasure hunting, shooting, fishing, chao gardens, and karting and colors and generations have the shallow boost gameplay. So really, I don't know.

Since adventure 2 dumbed down all the gameplay from the first (why it is so popular when it is clearly inferior is beyond me), and I think Adventure 1 actually has a good half, I guess i'd prefer 1/2 of the first adventure as well as colors simce it is the least boost-y of the boost games.

Though i'd take the inevitable improved sequels to Lost World to both

I would have said Sonic Adventure 1/2 but after playing Generations which was fantastic and noticing that those two games haven't aged so gracefully, I would say generations. I would love to play Colors but I don't have a wii :(

Although I prefer Colors/Generations gameplay wise, previous posters have hit the nail when it comes to personality in the Adventure games. For me, after taking a long break from Sonic (pre-Shadow game) and returning around Colors' release, I pretty much always found myself saying "that's it?!" after a cutscene.

I actually enjoyed the characters and stories of the Sonic universe and with Sega playing it "safe" with just Sonic, Tails and Robotnik, playing the games felt rather bland. I was hyped when they announced that Knuckles and Amy would make a return in Lost World, but that too fell short.

BUT, being more of a fan and kid of the Genesis days, this doesn't bother me AS much as I would imagine a kid who grew up on Adventure with.

Colours gets this wrong too. Eggman referring to Earth as "Sonic's world" was kind of painful. It was like a complete disregard for not only all the previous games, but also Unleashed as the direct predecessor to Colours. Even if not directly related, the Adventure series managed to maintain a sense of continuity.

Super late, but I don't see how a simple throwaway line all of a sudden completely disregards canon at all, despite all of those shots of Sonic's world and how it was pretty much the same as Unleashed's, showing that yes, the things that happened in the last game did happen. Same with Generations being a direct continuation of Colors' ending.

I have to say SA and SA2, specially because I played them over and over again. I also like Generations, but I wouldn't even consider it as one of my favorite Sonic games, while I would do that to SA and SA2.

What I liked the less in SA were Big's levels. I always liked treasure hunting levels, but I liked them more in SA2, but I admit I also would have liked to play as Knuckles in a regular stage. Sonic Generations was good and all, but it felt more like a reminding us of all Sonic games, I mean, playing a City escape in Generations was good, bu it made me wanting to play the City escape from SA2. The same for levels such as Sky Sanctuary or the bosses like Perfect Chaos and Shadow. I'm also not a big fan of the current "boost and win" Sonic games, I'm too old school for that. tongue.png