Awoo.

Chao-GO! (Petition for the return of the Chao Garden)

S3OL

Chao-GO is a project that I started up yesterday. I was randomly inspired to create the basis of a Sonic The Hedgehog spin-off game centered around the Chao and heralding the return of the Chao Garden.

Information can be found on my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ThatLeafeonFromMossRock?ref=hl

But for those that would like to view the information here:

"Chao-Go (working title?)
(Wii U/3DS/Android/iPhone)

Main story: Far away on a group of small islands collectively known as the Green Oval islands?? (often shortened to GO) live small creatures known as Chao, governed by Tikal and Chaos. These creatures are special as they can take on the qualities of the animals they played with and chaos drives they're exposed to, making them very dangerous in the wrong hands. 

The Sonic crew meet up (including Eggman, Orbot & Cubot) for a relaxing getaway. During their stay, the Chao are kidnapped (Including Cream's two: Cheese and Chocola) by an elusive new villain.

Gameplay: Tikal acts as your guide around 6 islands with 4 levels (including a boss level) in each. Is similar to Yoshi's Story, Kirby & Mario (tbe). There are 10 hidden Chao to collect in each level and the rewards for collecting are: music, concept art & garden furniture (7th optional island if you collect all of the hidden Chao in previous islands). 

Choose from 5 different playable characters including: Sonic, Tails, Amy, Cream & Blaze.

Collecting chaos drives or defeating animals may sometimes result in a power-up that could benefit you grateful when faced with a seemingly impossible situation. Speed, Flight, Power, Swimming and Stamina enhancements can be obtained by various means. Initiating these power-ups enables you to take control of Chao for a short period of time which is shown as a timer on the screen.

Chao Garden aspect

Wii U features: Look after Chao using your very own Mii character & well loved Sonic characters, Chao Racing and Karate make a comeback with new online options (Race/Battle your friends, upload race data online, ranking system), visit a friend's garden (maybe all in one large plaza typed area with gardens available to visit depending on whether they're online or not)

Options to hide or showcase your Chao Garden, garden customization (buy different coloured flowers, accessorize, plant trees, furniture of all weird shapes and sizes) tbe.

3DS features: Compatibility with the 3DS family (XL's & 2DS's) with a Tiny Chao Garden element & newly added SpotPass/StreetPass features including wireless connectivity for local play: Visits from other Chao, item gifting, Chao swapping, collectible AR cards etc. Collectible items (animals, chaos drives, rings, items of clothing?) tbe.

Other new features: All new Chao species (plural), different colours, clothing that is exclusive to the 3DS version of the game.

Clothing: Various different shops could be available with each shop being unlocked as you progress the main story. Whilst shopping, you take control of your Chao and select what you'd like to buy. Dressing rooms are situated throughout in which your Chao can equip clothes & accessories using a drag and drop-like system. These may or may not increase their overall stats. (Run by the original owner of the black market)

Jukebox: Collecting the hidden Chao within the levels will sometimes result in a piece of music being added to the Jukebox. Other soundtracks can be unlocked by competing in Chao Races/Karate.

Items of clothing covering a range of styles: Lazy, designer, royal, comfy etc.

DLC: Receive limited edition Mario & Luigi accessories/eggs?? when you pre-order the game. Mario egg (when hatched): Pretends to shoot fireballs and sometimes tries to flee the garden via a pipe. Luigi egg (when hatched): Is easily frightened and can be seen playing with a strange red vacuum cleaner. Accessories could include: Mario/Luigi's signature caps, overalls, mustaches and even big round noses.

Rare character Chao e.g. Knuckles, Tails & Amy that were once only obtainable by cheating.
Limited edition clothing/accesories: Sonic character onesies, Nintendo themed garden accessories (Triforce, Master Sword pedestal, Peach's crown etc.) 

Android/iPhone features: This would pretty much be a port of the 3DS version of the game, however if players are already raising a Chao on their consoles but wanted to transfer a copy to a mobile device they could do so via QR code. The Chao would be identical to its console counterpart except you wouldn't be able to transfer it back.This would also open up opportunities to share your Chao on social networking sites.

Chao that have been created will be compatible with the next Sonic the Hedgehog game which will see the re-implementation of the creatures?"

With the help of my Facebook Page fans, yesterday I created an official petition aimed at SEGA & Sonic Team to bring back the Chao Garden.

The official link for the petition: https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/sonic-team-start-development-on-a-chao-garden-spin-off-game

If you could help at all, by sharing this information around or even providing information on how to increase my chances of getting SEGA/Sonic Team's attention, I would be most grateful. Thank you.

post-6687-0-45681400-1388757206_thumb.pn

While I would like Chao Gardens to return, a petition won't help. I also don't think Chao should get their own game. Just put them as side things in the games like they did with Adventure (2).

And SEGA definitely wouldn't use a fanmade game basis.

• Thumbs Up 7

If you took the time to read my notes, you'd see that it wasn't the Chao being playable but Sonic Characters. The storyline would center around the Chao being kidnapped.

Besides, I didn't say they had to use my basis but it's just an idea or rather a collection of ideas of things that could be. At least I can try to make this work, if it doesn't get anywhere then it's my loss. I just wanted to give it a go.

You could turn this into a fan game, heck, even make everything original and turn it into an indie game if you were to make it yourself.

You could turn this into a fan game, heck, even make everything original and turn it into an indie game if you were to make it yourself.

I don't really have the resources or the people to help for that sort of thing.

Edited by S3OL

It's a nice idea but game developers never ever ever ever ever use fan ideas because they run the risk of people asking for royalties or suing them. SEGA gets enough bad press as it is and they absolutely cannot afford a move like that.

Plus if there's any series that has the most fans giving devs direct ideas for games, it's the Sonic series, and look how many times it's worked (a whopping great 0 times) so I can't really see that changing now.

In the offchance the petition had some long-term effect and SEGA made a Chao game someday, you can be assured it would be nothing like your synopsis anyway.

• Thumbs Up 3

It's a nice idea but game developers never ever ever ever ever use fan ideas because they run the risk of people asking for royalties or suing them. SEGA gets enough bad press as it is and they absolutely cannot afford a move like that.

Plus if there's any series that has the most fans giving devs direct ideas for games, it's the Sonic series, and look how many times it's worked (a whopping great 0 times) so I can't really see that changing now.

In the offchance the petition had some long-term effect and SEGA made a Chao game someday, you can be assured it would be nothing like your synopsis anyway.

Yeah, I can understand where you're coming from. I guess I didn't just want to accept the reality of it.

But what Porcupine said is true. An indie game sounds great but I don't have the resources or the people.

Any ideas?

Yeah, I can understand where you're coming from. I guess I didn't just want to accept the reality of it.

But what Porcupine said is true. An indie game sounds great but I don't have the resources or the people.

Any ideas?

If you want people to think you're serious about creating an indie game it may be worth trying to study game design and coding yourself. I don't think those who do have game-creation capabilities will be very willing to collaborate with someone unless that person is fully willing to develop the game themselves. As nice as it'd be, game development is tough and those who do it for free or for fun aren't likely to develop games for anyone who asks nicely. On the other hand if you had development skills or money yourself you're far more likely to successfully find collaborators.

The Chao Garden was only invented due to the widespread fame of the pet simulator Tamagotchi that was around the same time as SA1/2, the late 90s/early 2000s. 

Honestly, it was there as a tiny little extra and was completely unrelated to the main game, and in my opinion, it should stay that way. We don't need games based all around Chao and the Garden's mechanics.

You know how they should continue Chao? A Phone App. Think about it, it'd be perfect! 

• Thumbs Up 3

If you want people to think you're serious about creating an indie game it may be worth trying to study game design and coding yourself. I don't think those who do have game-creation capabilities will be very willing to collaborate with someone unless that person is fully willing to develop the game themselves. As nice as it'd be, game development is tough and those who do it for free or for fun aren't likely to develop games for anyone who asks nicely. On the other hand if you had development skills or money yourself you're far more likely to successfully find collaborators.

It's what I'm in college for at the moment! I'm sure I'll make something out of this in years to come, thank you.

You know how they should continue Chao? A Phone App. Think about it, it'd be perfect! 

I wrote that in my notes also.

The Chao Garden was only invented due to the widespread fame of the pet simulator Tamagotchi that was around the same time as SA1/2, the late 90s/early 2000s. 

Honestly, it was there as a tiny little extra and was completely unrelated to the main game, and in my opinion, it should stay that way. We don't need games based all around Chao and the Garden's mechanics.

I see, thanks for sharing your opinion.

It's what I'm in college for at the moment! I'm sure I'll make something out of this in years to come, thank you.

In that case I wish you the best of luck! If an educated developer/programmer brings up an interesting project idea then it's sure to get some attention, especially if you make demos yourself to show off your work and concepts.

I also think a phone app is a good idea, SEGA would actually do well to do something like that imo, but until that time comes I'm actually a little surprised that no fan has attempted to make their own small game of sorts for Chao yet. It may not be popular on this site but it's always been popular with other communities like Tumblr and a bunch of my friends loved the Chao Garden feature.

In that case I wish you the best of luck! If an educated developer/programmer brings up an interesting project idea then it's sure to get some attention, especially if you make demos yourself to show off your work and concepts.

I also think a phone app is a good idea, SEGA would actually do well to do something like that imo, but until that time comes I'm actually a little surprised that no fan has attempted to make their own small game of sorts for Chao yet. It may not be popular on this site but it's always been popular with other communities like Tumblr and a bunch of my friends loved the Chao Garden feature.

But don't they own the copyrights to Chao? Are you saying that I could still create a game based around Chao myself without getting into massive trouble?

Actually, I think this is a good idea. A mobile game (nothing to do with Sonic) just about raising Chao. They could easily market that to a young audience. There must be similar apps out there. Since SEGA are mobile crazy these days, you never know it might happen. 

Actually, I think this is a good idea. A mobile game (nothing to do with Sonic) just about raising Chao. They could easily market that to a young audience. There must be similar apps out there. Since SEGA are mobile crazy these days, you never know it might happen. 

This is what I said in my notes.

But don't they own the copyrights to Chao? Are you saying that I could still create a game based around Chao myself without getting into massive trouble?

It's risky but there have been Sonic fan game expos and sites and such around for years and for the most part they manage. There are tons of Sonic fan games out there too. With a lot of franchises there's a risk.. but with Sonic it, at the moment at least, almost seems like SEGA just let people make fangames. Most fangames are sure to mention that they don't claim any of the content, that it's just the work of a fan, and that SEGA own everything so be sure to do that at least.

Also if you do manage to eventually speak with other fangame creators I'm sure they could briefly talk to you about what legal hurdles they've come across, if any. I recommend checking out some fangames sometime and visiting the creators' websites and stuff, and check out this site too http://sagexpo.org/ you might learn some stuff!

• Thumbs Up 1

It's risky but there have been Sonic fan game expos and sites and such around for years and for the most part they manage. There are tons of Sonic fan games out there too. With a lot of franchises there's a risk.. but with Sonic it, at the moment at least, almost seems like SEGA just let people make fangames. Most fangames are sure to mention that they don't claim any of the content, that it's just the work of a fan, and that SEGA own everything so be sure to do that at least.

Also if you do manage to eventually speak with other fangame creators I'm sure they could briefly talk to you about what legal hurdles they've come across, if any. I recommend checking out some fangames sometime and visiting the creators' websites and stuff, and check out this site too http://sagexpo.org/ you might learn some stuff!

Thanks a lot. You've been more than helpful with this.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks a lot. You've been more than helpful with this.

No probs :3 good luck with programming and stuff at college too!

Oh yeah be sure to visit this site and its forums too http://sonicunited.org/ they run sagexpo I think?? They're also called "Sonic Fan Games HQ" which is pretty self-explanatory.

No probs :3 good luck with programming and stuff at college too!

Oh yeah be sure to visit this site and its forums too http://sonicunited.org/ they run sagexpo I think?? They're also called "Sonic Fan Games HQ" which is pretty self-explanatory.

Thank you so much! I feel much better about this now.

Upward and Onward.

How does one lock/delete a topic?

While a full-blown retail game is really unlikely to happen, as fun as that would be, a mobile game (like you said) is extremely viable. The market for such a thing is perfect, and through the use of micro-transactions, would make quite a bit of money.

So, it's hardly a question of sales, it's more a question of 'when?'.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you so much! I feel much better about this now.

Upward and Onward.

How does one lock/delete a topic?

There should be a report button at the bottom of your first post next to the quote/multiquote buttons, if you suggest in the report form that the thread has fulfilled its purpose and can be locked now a mod should be along to lock it eventually.

• Thumbs Up 1

While a full-blown retail game is really unlikely to happen, as fun as that would be, a mobile game (like you said) is extremely viable. The market for such a thing is perfect, and through the use of micro-transactions, would make quite a bit of money.

So, it's hardly a question of sales, it's more a question of 'when?'.

As everybody has said. I agree with you that I was deluded in thinking that a retail game would ever work.

I'd like to get a team together to start development in the near future... if someone doesn't do it first.

There should be a report button at the bottom of your first post next to the quote/multiquote buttons, if you suggest in the report form that the thread has fulfilled its purpose and can be locked now a mod should be along to lock it eventually.

Thanks. It was nice talking to you! ~

• Thumbs Up 1

Petition topics aren't allowed. They don't work and they're essentially a form of advertising. Sorry.