Awoo.

Greg Martin (Sonic Megadrive Box Artist) Passes Away

Nepenthe

It is with a heavy heart that I announce today the passing of my friend Greg Martin. Greg was the exceptionally talented illustrator that created the packaging artwork for Flintstones 2, Jetsons, Bonk’s Adventure, several Adventure Island games, all of the early Sonic the Hedgehog games, and dozens more classic covers and many promotional (ads, etc) pieces as well. He was an incredible artist and an even better person.

Source: http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=117907

Probably not the most well known man, but he nonetheless had an impact on our early gaming experiences. I will always be fond of his Sonic 3 box art- black-eyed Eggman and all- as well as his Taz box art. RIP Mr. Martin.

I can't say that I'm too fond of his boxarts (I much prefer the other boxarts for the classics usually), but it's still sad that we lost him. RIP. 

While I prefer mostly the Japanese boxarts to his American works, it's still a tragedy we lost this man. His boxarts, even though I'm not very fond of them, were a part of my childhood-- the Sonic 2 one in particular. Rest in peace.

He also worked on VHS box arts- Thundercats, TMNT, Ducktales, Taz-Mania, and a few Looney Tunes stints. I had no idea this man was that prolific. I inadvertently owned a lot of his stuff without even knowing it. xP

He also worked on VHS box arts- Thundercats, TMNT, Ducktales, Taz-Mania, and a few Looney Tunes stints. I had no idea this man was that prolific. I inadvertently owned a lot of his stuff without even knowing it. xP

I remember soo many of those boxart and VHS covers when I was younger. I had know idea it was all one guy painting these! I stared at some of these for hours trying to copy them as I draw. RIP Greg Martin.

If you guys arn't keepng track of either the Retro thread or the Nintendo Age thread, Buyatari over at Retro is uploading some of Greg's WIP covers. Retro gathered them up to show them off:

http://www.sonicretro.org/2014/01/the-sonic-sketchbook-images-from-the-late-greg-martin/

Say what you will about assface sonic, but this was Greg's best sonic hands down:

http://www.sonicretro.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/GregMartinSonicSketch005_zps7c828b0c.jpg

Say what you will about assface sonic, but this was Greg's best sonic hands down:

http://www.sonicretro.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/GregMartinSonicSketch005_zps7c828b0c.jpg

And the sad thing is that a lot of people think that Sonic (and the other similar Sonics in that style )was drawn by someone in Japan instead of Greg.

Like others have said, I usually prefer the other box art to his, but he still did make some awesome stuff too. I really like his art for Knuckles Chaotix, Sonic 2 and Sonic 3.

He shall rest in peace. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...

Bit of a problem, just got this in a email:

The Guest Book for Gregory James Martin will go offline soon.

The Legacy.com Guest Book for Gregory James Martin will remain online until 6/11/2014, after which it will no longer be available to read or add an entry. The Legacy.com team wants you to be aware of this should you wish to visit, print, or sponsor the Guest Book to keep it online longer.

Family and friends take comfort from Guest Books and value them as a lasting way to honor loved ones. A sponsored Guest Book allows visitors to continue to add entries on anniversaries, holidays, and other occasions.

If you have any questions, please contact us at info@legacy.com.

Thank you,

The Legacy.com team

About Legacy

Founded in 1998, Legacy.com is an online resource that links to obituaries published by our network of newspaper affiliates. Through this network, we keep obituaries and Guest Books online to help honor the memory of the deceased. Legacy.com is a great resource for connecting friends, family, and loved ones.

Legacy.com

820 Davis Street, Suite 210 Evanston, IL 60201

https://www.legacy.com/guestbooks/pe/gregory-james-martin-sponsor-guestbook/165268935?&eid=lc_gbexpire

If anybody is wanting to help keep his obituary guestbook alive otherwise just spread the word and hopefully it gets to stay open. he did allot for us and I wish I could help if I didn't have less then $80.00 left in the bank. :\