Awoo.

A more thought-out Comic Book Tails vs Video Game Tails

Kagura_Nitrogat

I saw a topic called this, but it got locked so I'm going to re-hash it, the question is simple who would win in a fight, Tails from the Archie Comics or Tails from the video games?

My answer doesn't require a second thought, I'd say the Archie Tails, and here's why, Tails in the later archie comics is alot more independent not to mention brave, video game Tails has had his moments of bravery but as of late has been "Sonic help me I'm in a girlie dress and surrounded by monsters..." okay okay I over-exaggerated that a bit but it feels like it.

I think Archie Tails would win, what do you think? :)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Flyboy Fox

• Kagura_Nitrogat

• Leon K Fox

• ChaoticBlue

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd personally have to say that it would depend greatly on the motive. Game Tails is... how can I put this delicately without making Archie Tails look like an ass... more mature and less selfish than Archie Tails.

Game Tails isn't a wimp. But his true courage doesn't seem to be unlocked unless someone else is at stake. For example, in SA2 when he thought that Sonic had died in space, Tails was totally prepared to fight Eggman and bring him down. He did it for Sonic and for his friends. That's what unlocked his courage and his will to fight.

Archie Tails, however, despite being supposedly older... he's fueled by much more introspected and self-serving means. He's not a bad kid, but he has a lot more 'issues' than his gaming counterpart. While Game Tails may be introverted and unconfident, Archie Tails actively harbours resentment and grudges when he feels sidelined. See the Sonic vs Tails arc for the best example of a fight fueled by personal resentment. He has no gripe about taking even Sonic himself on, to prove a point.

So, let's put it this way... If the fight between the two of them was because they both thought the other was a fake, I think Archie Tails would feel more threatened (and angry) about that and would be more determined to be the winner.

However, if the fight was because they felt the other was a threat to someone they cared about, they'd both fight hard, but I think Game Tails would be better able to keep it together and win.

[/end psych analysis]

I'd personally have to say that it would depend greatly on the motive. Game Tails is... how can I put this delicately without making Archie Tails look like an ass... more mature and less selfish than Archie Tails.

Game Tails isn't a wimp. But his true courage doesn't seem to be unlocked unless someone else is at stake. For example, in SA2 when he thought that Sonic had died in space, Tails was totally prepared to fight Eggman and bring him down. He did it for Sonic and for his friends. That's what unlocked his courage and his will to fight.

Archie Tails, however, despite being supposedly older... he's fueled by much more introspected and self-serving means. He's not a bad kid, but he has a lot more 'issues' than his gaming counterpart. While Game Tails may be introverted and unconfident, Archie Tails actively harbours resentment and grudges when he feels sidelined. See the Sonic vs Tails arc for the best example of a fight fueled by personal resentment. He has no gripe about taking even Sonic himself on, to prove a point.

So, let's put it this way... If the fight between the two of them was because they both thought the other was a fake, I think Archie Tails would feel more threatened (and angry) about that and would be more determined to be the winner.

However, if the fight was because they felt the other was a threat to someone they cared about, they'd both fight hard, but I think Game Tails would be better able to keep it together and win.

[/end psych analysis]

That is a very good point, But yes Motive would be the thing that would play a major part, Though Tails does tend to self-serve himself quite a bit in the comics, that just shows his independency a majority of his decisons from that feeling are hardly selfish just more, emotionally driven, he wants to make a differance so strives to do whatever he can to do Sonic and the Freedom Fighters proud to stop being seen as just a kid.

Yeah, like I said, he's not a bad kid. Just more realistic, really, in that he's not always perfect and sweet, and sometimes capable of negative emotions rather than just being sweet and chipper all the time.

It would be an interesting fight, nevertheless, although I think it would take an exceptional situation to make it come down to physical combat, given that Tails in either universe is more of a logical analyst and thinker than a fighter (though he can kick ass when he needs to, of course!)

Yeah, like I said, he's not a bad kid. Just more realistic, really, in that he's not always perfect and sweet, and sometimes capable of negative emotions rather than just being sweet and chipper all the time.

It would be an interesting fight, nevertheless, although I think it would take an exceptional situation to make it come down to physical combat, given that Tails in either universe is more of a logical analyst and thinker than a fighter (though he can kick ass when he needs to, of course!)

He knows fox-fu lol

But another thing in Game Tails dis-advantage, Archie Tails is obviously quite skilled in close combat situations, Game Tails not so much.

True, but then again, Game Tails has been fighting by Sonic's side, fully accepted as a capable fighting partner since they met. Archie Tails' acceptance into the team as a full fledged fighter has been retconned several times, but for a long while he had a very SatAM-eque role where he was the baby of the team and not allowed to go out anywhere.

Pros and cons to both of their histories, I suppose.

Reposting from the other topic:

As usual, I lean to the games for their presentation of Tails as an idealistic hero who doesn't begrudge his foes (To quote him, "Even Eggman isn't that cruel"). In the darker Archie and Fleetway, he(and his comrades) are much more jaded and I suppose somewhat cynical (Which is fair enough, since the villains are a little less sympathetic in these versions of the story). Some fans like this portrayal, but the Tails of the games- for being such an optimist- is my preferred iteration of the character.

Ah, but who would win in a fight? ;) That's all we care about.

Just kidding.

I actually prefer the Archie portrayal myself, because to me he's more real. Less 'perfect', less of the golden boy, and more of the troubled child prodigy. Yet still very much 'Tails' in his youthful naivete and keenness to help.

He knows fox-fu lol

But another thing in Game Tails dis-advantage, Archie Tails is obviously quite skilled in close combat situations, Game Tails not so much.

Someone needs to revisit Sonic Adventure 1.

Someone needs to revisit Sonic Adventure 1.

I don't think that counts, in that game he was headbutting robots to make them explode, I don't think headbutting another fox would make him explode...at least I hope not lol.

I don't think that counts, in that game he was headbutting robots to make them explode, I don't think headbutting another fox would make him explode...at least I hope not lol.

Yeah, I certainly hope not as well, I'd imagine it would be a bit messy if it did :P

In all seriousness though, all the characters that are playable can destroy robots like that, which would be another reason for it to not count if you ask me.

Game Tails was a pretty nifty person-to-person combat opponent in Sonic the Fighters. That game made THE best use of his flight ability and twin tails in a combat scenario that I've seen so far in any Sonic game.

I guess you never made use of the ground pound, body slam from above, etc then? He had some cool moves. I beat the game with him first try, no losses.

Game Tails was a pretty nifty person-to-person combat opponent in Sonic the Fighters. That game made THE best use of his flight ability and twin tails in a combat scenario that I've seen so far in any Sonic game.

I guess you never made use of the ground pound, body slam from above, etc then? He had some cool moves. I beat the game with him first try, no losses.

both of which were very generic moves that Archie Tails would not fall for and could quite easily ^^;

I'm talking about his Tail Rotation attack. With the Rhythm Brooch, he could do it continuously like some kind of break dancing force of nature.

Infinite spin attacks without ever getting tired or dizzy! Whoo! Although I suppose technically that's a powered up attack that requires an item, and so wouldn't be of much use to Tails in a fight unless he actually had that item.

Which reminds me... I've been looking for a good clear colour picture of the Rhythm Badge for some time now. I want to make a replica.

I haven't seen Archie Tails since around issue #65 so I prefer game Tails. I remember when they made Tails go out on his own in the Tails mini-series, and that was pretty good. He went to Downunda and fought Crocbot and stuff. Comparable feats by game Tails have been defeating Eggman two or three times on his own and building lots of junk. I'm just more comfortable with game Tails.

Which reminds me... I've been looking for a good clear colour picture of the Rhythm Badge for some time now. I want to make a replica.

And Flyboy, you can get a frontal shot of Tails with the Rhythm Badge on the character select screen in SA:DX, if you have the badge on a save. All the characters are wearing their items on the character select screen.

Edited by Badnikz

Isn’t Game Tails cannon-ly invincible? Or does Sonic 2 mean that little these days :P

If you want to break down who would be the victor in a fight, than I would have to go with the game’s variant. He seems to have a bit of a cooler head on his shoulders and if Chronicles is any indication, than that Fox is a force that is not to be denied when he unleashes it.

But if you really want to get technical, than the Archie Tails would be vastly superior, since he’s done everything Game Tails has. (Basically every game has had a similar comic adaption). Archie Tails has accomplished every feat Game Tails has and some.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

If that can help you, here are two pictures; those are the best shots I could find.

I dont know who would win of game-Tails and Archie-Tails, but one thing is for sure, they could both take out Sonic X-Tails easily; they'd just have to kiss him and throw him out of the ring lol.

I dont know who would win of game-Tails and Archie-Tails, but one thing is for sure, they could both take out Sonic X-Tails easily; they'd just have to kiss him and throw him out of the ring lol.

*imagines really dodgy imagry*

3 tails kissing....>.> lol

If that can help you, here are two pictures; those are the best shots I could find.

XD LOL at Tails' expression in the second pic. Thanks, those are perfect!

On-topic... I agree that Sonic X's Tails is probably the least likely to win in a fight ^^; He does tend to get beaten up fairly easily.

XD LOL at Tails' expression in the second pic. Thanks, those are perfect!

On-topic... I agree that Sonic X's Tails is probably the least likely to win in a fight ^^; He does tend to get beaten up fairly easily.

As well as in season 3 when Shadow in all his "hardcore manlyness" hits him in the back of the head lol

Well Shadow was just a douche in that show >_> Kudos to Tails for at least TRYING to fight him, but it really was rather sad to see how easily he got brushed aside, a mere minor distraction ^^;

This topic is interesting because Tails seems to be far less of a physically fighting character as of late. So it's interesting that this topic is about im, because I for one would really love to see him in physical combat more.