Awoo.

Hourly Comics Day 2014!

JezMM

wow, I definitely want in!I work for an hour or so on Saturday though, can I write the hour comic for the hour I was at work after I get home? or does it have to be within the hour?

wow, I definitely want in!I work for an hour or so on Saturday though, can I write the hour comic for the hour I was at work after I get home? or does it have to be within the hour?

No time limits at all, I usually just note down my comic ideas and then do 3 or 4 at a time every few hours.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll do it! I actually just thinking about this, wondering what I might be doing on this day. It's hard to say at this point, but I might just use my Robrainiac character in place of me instead of drawing myself as a bishonen-looking guy like I did last year. 

seriously, why the hell did I do that?

It'll be pretty fun drawing an over sized mechanical alien doing all the useless crap I do on that day. XD

I want to partake in this event, I just hope I don't forget about it, which is what happened last year with the 24 hour comics event, sadly. Sounds like a lot of fun, though! I'll turn my dull, static life on the internet into something more interesting in the form of comics, hopefully!

As someone who jumps on and off the journal comics train (shameless plug), this sounds like something up my alley. I'll be shocked if I get up to much to justify doing an hour-by-hour strip, but, dammit, I'll give it my best shot.

I like the sound of this, have seen other people like Awkward Zombie doing hourly comics, looking at the date though it'll be on a Saturday and my Saturdays tend to only consist of playing video games but I'll try and make it interesting if I take part :P

Comic every hour? What if my comics take more than an hour?

Then you're probably taking too long to do them.  They only need to be 1-3 panels or so, and they don't have to be masterpieces.  If it takes you more than 5-10 minutes to draw a panel you're probably putting too much detail in for the sake of a journal comic.  Check out last year's examples (even just the preview images in 2013's OP give you a glance at the level of detail people drew in).

As said, there's no time limit, so some people just doodle things and then compile/redraw them after the day and post them later on.  Though with the genre of journal comics, often less is more when it comes to art style.  But it's your comic of course, if you want to put a ton of time and effort into the art, no-one's the boss of you!

Hm. I meant to try this the last time it showed up. Or maybe that was the 24 hour thing. I dunno.

Either way, sounds like fun!

No promises from me, but I'll see if I can muster up the willpower to have a whack at this. Might actually get me out of my drawing slump.

• Thumbs Up 1

I missed this last year, so I will definitely join in! It sounds fun, I can finally draw my furry self going about daily Saturday business AND I haven't doodled a comic in ages! =3

Oh umm..do we post our comics the very next day?

How does this work, do I just draw a comic and post it? OK I'm in

There's an FAQ that answers this.  Check last year's topic for an example of how this one will prolly go.

I missed this last year, so I will definitely join in! It sounds fun, I can finally draw my furry self going about daily Saturday business AND I haven't doodled a comic in ages! =3

Oh umm..do we post our comics the very next day?

You can post them on the day as you make them, at the end of the day in bulk, or the next day if you prefer.  There's no time limits on this, some people will post theirs as much as a week later if they only had time to doodle quick ideas on the actual day.

Is it that time of year already?

I'll gladly take part again, it was fun. :) With the early announcement, I can try to complete some other stuff. I'm behind on my work and wanted to make a spectacular comeback (artistically) this year.

So the basic idea is just make fun comics? Even if they're nonsensical? This sounds funnnn. smile.png

Not just any old comics - they have to be journal comics - starring you (or a representation of yourself like a fancharacter if you prefer) and what you did that day.  You can of course exaggerate or put a spin on things to make them funnier if you want to, (though they don't have to be funny either) but they should be somewhat grounded in reality and what you did in real life.

Meant to try this last year but I missed it. Also have been jumbling ideas in my head that I'd like to experiment with them in comic form.

Hopefully when this rolls around I will have less on my plate than I did last year.

I was thinking.

...Doesn't this mean we'll basically be writing comics about writing comics? :V

Haha almost everyone last year had a strip where it was just them looking at everyone else's.  They take up less of your time than you'd think though.  It's why I PERSONALLY prefer to do 3-4 at a time, rather than spend my day being constantly interrupted by 10 minutes of comic drawing, and dividing my day up into seperated hours of worrying about finding something comic-worthy to do for 50 minutes.  If you just live your day out as normal and just draw your hourlies in small batches when you have downtime, you'll probably find them much easier.  Another tactic is like Katie does in many of her ones on Awkward Zombie - these days she rarely even acknowledges that she's drawing the hourlies in the comics, just literally journalling everything that happened OTHER than the hourlies.

I'm planning to give it a go, specialy if I manage to get my technique up a bit by then XD

Ah, okay, so lemmie make sure I got his down...

February 1st, we draw a comic once an hour, doesn't have to be funny, just is a "visual journal" of that particular hour, panel count doesn't matter, stylized however we choose?