Awoo.

Sonic Next Gen Review

Guest -FourKaySix-

Guest Sanic4K6
Hidden

Remember its my opinion ,Don't bash my review.

Story : The princess stuff is pretty dumb, The fact they fall in love is dumber, The story has a huge twist, Introduced Silver and I loved the story apart from those 2 things.

8/10

Gameplay : The gameplay is so fun, The style is awesome, 3 awesome places to free roam and they have missions, You buy upgrades and awesome Gems, Many charecters to play as and they all have a stage, Frame rate issues, Amy has a mission, Knuckles has nothing but you can finish a few stages as him by glitching, Loading screens were a pain, Glitches were fun if you hunt for them but annoying when they bump into you.

8/10

Sounds And Music : The stage music is really good, Especially Wave Ocean, The sound effects are epic, Footstep sounds, Most sounds are pretty realistic.

9/10

Graphics : I loved everything about the graphics, They could be abit better.

9/10

Final Results : 9/10 - The game has a few flaws, They didn't ruin it for me.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hidden

I'm not going to bash but I will give my opinion.

I don't think the story was all that brilliant to be honest, I found plotholes the size of a collapsed star in that game, the graphic's were okay, but not earth shattering, the music, the soundtrack from what I could tell was "His world" Remix'd in a million different ways which made me a bit sick of that song after a while, the gameplay, Way to buggy to actually enjoy, I've flown through countless walls, wall grabs (jump points) don't always work and instead you fall to your death and the controls were horrible.

But if you enjoyed it, thats all that matters

Hidden

Honestly, the last Sonic game I played was Sonic Heroes.

Whenevr that came out.

I don't even have my Gamecube anymore.

At Walmart I saw they have the StH Xbox 360 game in a "Family 3 Pack" with Shrek The Video Game and Viva Pinata.

So I wanted to buy it, 3 games for less than the price of one.

Im kind of scared too though.

Nice review though.

I think soon I might take the next step and try this game out.

Im kinda iffy on the Sonic Wii games.

Hidden

The game has a few flaws,
In the same way that the ocean has a few fish.

I pretty much disagree with everything positive you said, except praising the music. And even then I wouldn't give it a 9...maybe a 7ish. Or a 6, it depends on my mood. Everything I've seen of the game leads me to believe it's bottom-of-the-barrel trash, tho'.

Hidden

This game has far from just a few flaws, I'm utterly confused at this review. When you're not battling terrible controls, you're yelling at the screen because you just fell through a wall. When you're not being forced through a 10+ second scripted event, you'll find yourself walking through an entire loop because the game has no physics engine applied to any of the characters. Amigos are possibly the worst idea ever concieved by Sonic Team ever. You'll be speeding along a Sonic stage (Well, if you somehow have avoided the plethora of glitches and mastered the game's horrific controls then you might be), when all of a sudden slow-ass Knuckles decided to pop his face into your previous fast game, and not only slow it down to a snail's pace, but somehow FORGET TO KNOW HOW TO JUMP OFF WALLS. Knuckles instead has learned the ability of... falling through walls, instantly killing you.

I really don't have the energy to complain about this game, I can go on and on about how terrible it is, why it's so terrible, etc, but it would take too long. I really can't understand how anyone can give this game a review higher than a 4/10. The music is kind of nice, but at what cost?

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

It is all down to personal preference, and I won't bash but I will say that I kinda liked this game when I first got it with my Xbox 360 back in Christmas 2006, but as I played more of it and eventually completed it I came to hate it in the end.

The storyline was awful, the controls were too god damn slippery, camera went apeshit so damn often, the amigo characters were pointless...it goes on.

Not to mention the glitches, oh good god the glitches... :o

Edited by Leon K Fox
Hidden

I wouldn't say the story is downright bad. Ironically from what everyone said about it, I found it interesting. Shadow's story was the most interesting. I liked seeing Team Dark together again. Rouge's charm was nice to see. And I liked the posing threat Mephiles had on all the characters. Though the scenes would have been a hell of a lot better if the characters actually had noticeable facial expressions.

To this day, I swear, I do not understand why people actually think Sonic and Elise love eachother. I can understand making fun of it like in a parody. But no, people actually believe they were promoting beastiality. I'm sorry for you, if you actually think that. They care for eachother. It was an interesting relationship. And they had a nice chemistry. But not to the point that everyone makes it out to be. Sonic teaches her lessons and all, it was nice to see him being a good role model inspiration. "BUT SHE KISSED HIM AT THE END!" No, if you actually understand the scene, it's not what you think.

The unpolished gameplay and amazingly inconsistent, awkward game design scenarios is bad, yes. I will give that most of the animations for the characters were sweet. The motions were a lot more expressive than past games. I also liked a lot of the character models. But like I said, the faces (mostly sonic and shadow's) could have used a lot more life.

Music was excellent, and I can tell they spent a lot of work on it. Like SA2, they used chorus and many instruments for the in-game music. Something most other games out there don't bother doing.

It's really too bad. It could have been something great. So many cutscenes, and music created for the game. It makes me wonder, when the story artists were writing and animators were doing scenes, and the music team was doing their stuff, what on earth were the programmers doing?

Hidden

Without any sarcasm, good for you for genuinely being able to enjoy one of the most hated games in the series.

Hidden

If you ask me, this game gets a lot more hatred than it really deserves. People constantly let their preconceptions of Sonic get in the way of fairly judging a game and tend to come to overly negative conclusions about specific things (Beastiality? Seriously?) and are all too willing to ignore any decent idea that emerged from it, however they were executed - I know I've said it before, but I loved the way combos were possible in Sonic '06 and I wouldn't mind seeing a game expand on that.

That still doesn't mean it's a good game though. It IS one of the worst games in the series, if not THE worst (ordinarily I would say it's the worst, but not while we have Sonic Blast and Sonic Labyrinth as contenters to the crown), but all too many people let that infamy get to their head. Their are certaintly far worse games out there, and had the game actually been delayed I'm confident it would at least have been playable.

Hidden

Nice review. But my opinion is after you play Unleashed 360, you'll never want to go back to this game.

What I mean is try playing S2k6 then play unleashed. After beating both games go back and try to play 2k6. For me I just could not do it, probably because I got use to sonic's crazy speed in unleashed to where sonic/shadow in 2k6 were slow, maybe slower than SA2b (which was still a better game than 2k6).

Hidden

The Kissing scene should of been what Tikal did to trap Chaos(And herself)in the M.E. Recited the Servers prayer and wish for Sonic to come back. Or just get rid of Elise all together.

Guest Sanic4K6
Hidden

Nice review. But my opinion is after you play Unleashed 360, you'll never want to go back to this game.

What I mean is try playing S2k6 then play unleashed. After beating both games go back and try to play 2k6. For me I just could not do it, probably because I got use to sonic's crazy speed in unleashed to where sonic/shadow in 2k6 were slow, maybe slower than SA2b (which was still a better game than 2k6).

I played Unleashed alot, I prefer Sonic Next Gen , It was alot faster than SA2B (The Mach Speed Parts)

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

That really was the best part of the whole game. I replayed that cutscene SOOO many times before I traded the game in.

"ahhhh" -silver

"chaos control" -shadow

.....kick in the head.

And after that you can just stop the video/cut scene.

It was alot faster than SA2B (The Mach Speed Parts)

Uh thats the only part of the game that make 2k6 faster. Kill off that and SA2B has it beat in speed with ease.

Edited by The 360©
Hidden

That really was the best part of the whole game. I replayed that cutscene SOOO many times before I traded the game in.

"ahhhh" -silver

"chaos control" -shadow

.....kick in the head.

And after that you can just stop the video/cut scene.

Uh thats the only part of the game that make 2k6 faster. Kill off that and SA2B has it beat in speed with ease.

Exactly, plus those mach speed sections were actually TOO fast, and when you could only jump straight ahead which often made you jump off of the edge of the stages.

And how many damn times did you slightly touch an object, have Sonic spin relentlessley and die despite still struggling around as he spins helplessley?

Hidden

Exactly, plus those mach speed sections were actually TOO fast, and when you could only jump straight ahead which often made you jump off of the edge of the stages.

And how many damn times did you slightly touch an object, have Sonic spin relentlessley and die despite still struggling around as he spins helplessley?

I hated the mach speed sections, it felt too much like Trial and error gameplay, the spinning was just annoying as well, ok I get it I hit something, does it have to make you feel like your hitting everything? there's so many glitches on those parts too.

Hidden

Speaking of Mach speed, anyone else contiually get stuck on a bridge after a ramp on Wave Ocean? Sonic's meant to fly over the top, but he always just lands ON this bridge, getting stuck, continually spinning himself into an early grave as he tries to get past the fence on the bridge.

Hidden

I hated the mach speed sections, it felt too much like Trial and error gameplay, the spinning was just annoying as well, ok I get it I hit something, does it have to make you feel like your hitting everything? there's so many glitches on those parts too.

Oh hell yes, there were. Did you ever shoot past the rock at the end of Wave Ocean's mach speed section (the chase or something like that) or hit it and go through it?

You had no control on that jump, so it was entirley the game's fault when it happened.

Hidden

What I mean is try playing S2k6 then play unleashed. After beating both games go back and try to play 2k6.

I actually did this, incidentally - I played through 2006 for the second time recently, after playing Unleashed 360. I still do enjoy it much more than Unleashed. I do like Sonic 2006, as I mentioned in a few other threads (and a generally neutral opinion of Unleashed), but I'm not going to discuss it.

Speaking of Mach speed, anyone else contiually get stuck on a bridge after a ramp on Wave Ocean? Sonic's meant to fly over the top, but he always just lands ON this bridge, getting stuck, continually spinning himself into an early grave as he tries to get past the fence on the bridge.

Heh, I remember that. I found that you can avoid it if you hold the control stick up. It looks hilarious, though. xP

Incidentally, has anyone here completed Sonic 2006 100%? I finished all of the S ranks for Sonic's Act Missions and I'm moving on to Shadow next. I'm going to do the Silver Medals last for a little more variety.

Hidden

Story : The princess stuff is pretty dumb, The fact they fall in love is dumber, The story has a huge twist, Introduced Silver and I loved the story apart from those 2 things.

8/10

Gameplay : The gameplay is so fun, The style is awesome, 3 awesome places to free roam and they have missions, You buy upgrades and awesome Gems, Many charecters to play as and they all have a stage, Frame rate issues, Amy has a mission, Knuckles has nothing but you can finish a few stages as him by glitching, Loading screens were a pain, Glitches were fun if you hunt for them but annoying when they bump into you.

8/10

Sounds And Music : The stage music is really good, Especially Wave Ocean, The sound effects are epic, Footstep sounds, Most sounds are pretty realistic.

9/10

Graphics : I loved everything about the graphics, They could be abit better.

9/10

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, YYYYYYYYYYYYYEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Finally, someone who agrees with me! ~w00t~

This is excactly what I would have said if I were to review the game (apart from the fact that I loved the story - after all, you really can't help who you fall in love with, anthripomorphic hedgehog or otherwise).

Plus, anyone who bitches about the glitches should get off their high horse and try playing Halo 3. Now THAT was a buggy game!

Hidden

Meh, I just didn't like the game. It's not like I thought "Ohmigosh this game is TERRIBLE." (I only thought that about the plot-hole-filled and slightly disturbing story :lol: ), I just didn't enjoy it. The only time I felt like I was having fun was a small segment of Crisis City (Sonic), and the rest was boring. The funnest time I had playing that game though was when I was messing around and finding glitches (jumping on water, walking on loops, robots running away, Shadow's broken Shirly and vechile physics (I call the buggy Shirly, long story), amigos randomly dieing...), the rest just wasn't enjoyable for me.