Awoo.

Sonic Next Gen Review

Guest -FourKaySix-

Hidden

I hated playing as Silver. That level where you had to push the ball into the right hole (or whatever) was truly awful.

Yeah, the lack of a proper aiming control scheme and the god awful physics made Silver's gameplay some of the absolute worst the series has ever bought to the table.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hidden

Silver's gameplay some of the absolute worst the series has ever bought to the table.

Barring the WereHog, of course... EggmanLand was the final persuasion I needed to trade the god-awful game in!

Personally, I thought that most of Silver's levels were okay - original level design and exquisite telephychokinesis abilities made for a great gaming experience, but admittadely, Dusty Desert was shite. For the most part, the level was quite enjoyable, with clever puzzles and a rather good peice of soothing BGM, but it all disintegrated at the end; seriously, that was THE MOST UNENJOYABLE part of '06, and single-handedly ruined the gameplay of a rather decent (and rather cute) character!

It just begs the question: why would Sega do something as idiotic as that in such a good game? I mean, those morons could have left that ENTIRE SEGMENT out of the game, not only conserving budget, but also making making the level around 10 times as enjoyable! I really never will understand Sega's stupid decisions...

So then, given the circumstances, I would like to say this: Fo' Shizzle!

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

Barring the WereHog, of course...

Not really, I thought the werehog was awesome in Sonic Unleashed, his gameplay was not as good as day Sonic's but still it was enjoyable. It was actually PLAYABLE unlike Silver's alot of the time which I also appreciated.

Unleashed (360) on the whole (save for the medals) was the best Sonic game in years, all they need to do is slow Sonic's stages down just a notch and make the whole game day stages (as the werehog can't return anyway for plot reasons) and it will be greatness.

Edited by Leon K Fox
Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

Barring the WereHog, of course...

The Werehog had annoying and repetitive gameplay, but I have to say Silver's gameplay glitchfest is far worse for reasons stated above.

Edited by Evile Cruelty
Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

I actually found the Werehog pretty enjoyable, actually. A pretty poor beat 'em up game in comparison to something like God of War or even that new Wolverene game, but I was willing to sit through them to get to the day and town stages and even attempt to S-rank and better my times in them too. They're not the greatest, and they can even be pretty boring if you haven't really leveled up your hog, dragging on fights for extremely long periods of time. But if you like to speed-run things and you have a pretty leveled up Werehog they can be mildly amusing.

Also, am I the only one who actually enjoyed collecting and finding medals? I never really found myself missing too many to enter a level (Except for Adabat Day, of course), and it was an amusing diversion to scout out levels for medals after I beat the game, even if they don't really do anything.

Edited by Solid SOAP
Hidden

Also, am I the only one who actually enjoyed collecting and finding medals? I never really found myself missing too many to enter a level (Except for Adabat Day, of course), and it was an amusing diversion to scout out levels for medals after I beat the game, even if they don't really do anything.

Am I the only one who never had to backtrack to find medals? I mean I've never been told that I didn't have enough medals to proceed. I kinda enjoyed collecting medals and I was actively looking for them in hubs and night stages (it was more difficult in day stages).

Though I can understand why other people don't like the medals; they shouldn't be mandatory to progress in the game.

Hidden

I also enjoyed collecting medals in Unleashed. It gave me a reason to play the stages for each continent besides Act 1, and the fact that I could choose whichever stage I wanted to collect medals in (so if I got frustrated with one, I could go back and try another) was a new and cool experience I haven't really seen in a Sonic game before. It kind of felt like deciding which stars to go after in Super Mario Galaxy (or 64/Sunshine), which was great.

I like the Werehog, and I like it better than Silver's gameplay, really. As a one-time gimmick, the Werehog was great. Although I found Shadow's and Silver's stages in 2006 to be enjoyable for the most part, they really didn't compare to Sonic. Why don't I list all the gameplay styles from both games in order from my most liked to most disliked:

2006 Sonic

2006 Shadow

Unleashed Sonic (PS360)

Unleashed Werehog (PS360)

2006 Silver

Unleashed Werehog (WiiS2)

Unleashed Sonic (WiiS2)

Hidden

If you liked it for being a fresh experience, couldn't you easily just buy a game where you have godlike powers that's most likely better than Sonic '06? Something like Prototype or InFamous seems up your ally, and those have the bonus of actually being well designed games with stories that are better than Sonic 06's.

Well, sure I could buy any other game with a god-like powers (I have inFamous, AWESOME game), but what made Silver's gameplay fresh (to me at least) was his telekinesis - and that power isn't in any other game I'm aware of, other than Second Sight. I loved being able to move stuff around and stop bullets with his mind haha.

And nah, you're not the only one who liked collecting medals haha. I loved doing that in Unleashed (this game, not so much).

Hidden

Seriously now, all that the Super-Speed Stages take are a little practice and some ACTUAL SKILL AT GAMING for them to become an exceptionally enjoyable experience. Get good at '06, love '06; it's true!

No, they were riddled with glitches, the controls were awful, they were too fast, you sometimes died from hitting objects you could easily rebound from, he span around like he was still alive when he died, etc...

There's no plausible way you can put it down to skill level when the game is so half assed and broken if you ask me.