Awoo.

Rosy the Rascal: endearing and revolting

CrunchTime

Something that has been rubbing me the wrong way recently is the intense hatred and/or love for Amy. I mean, I'll gladly admit there are numerous and valid reasons to hate her, but I'd rather be a lover than a fighter when it comes to these characters, and I can't stand the "eagerness" behind some of the hate. What happened to the presumption of innocence?

My own regard for her is equal and opposite to her belief of requited affection. I can put up with her screwing with Sonic if she doesn't seriously believe it'll work. But if she really does...

She can be really aggravating sometimes, there’s no getting around that. I can only hope she's aware of it.

So, what are your thoughts? Is she an infallible angel? Should she burn in the pits of hell? Are you harsh, or lenient on a character's actions?

I think Amy is at her best when she's a complete fucking psycho. Like "marry me or I'll push you off this building" Amy? That Amy is fucking awesome. "I'm gonna stand here and be rational" Amy? Yaaawwwwn.

• Thumbs Up 2

So you're problems with Amy are that people like….and dislike he?r….umm okay..

Anyway, I was never a huge Amy fan, even in her "good" Adventure days. She just seemed rather bratty, loud, and just kinda annoying. Her VA's usually not helping in that regard. I can tolerate her character the most when she's a calm, supportive character that serves as decent moral support for the main characters, most notably Sonic. It's seen in Unleashed and SLW imo, where she has the utmost faith that Sonic will end up saving the day, even if the entire world is ending around her. It's not played in a fangirlish devotion type way, but in a manner of genuine admiration of Sonic himself and his morals to do the right thing. Showing concern for other things like in SA1's Flickies or SLW'S animals in general is a huge plus. THAT'S the kind of Amy I enjoy. Not the awful, irrational, screaming "MARRY ME PLEASE LETS HAVE BABIES! OR ILL FUCKING KILL YOU!!" fangirl that made me despise the character.

My only problem with that now was that she hasn't seen any action. I would like for them to find that balance between her warrior/hammer self and her calm, loving supportive side, then I could fully appreciate her as a character .

• Thumbs Up 6

I dont like this character mostly because one, she wont get a clue and leave Sonic alone. Sonic doesnt like her as it is, only as a friend that acts normal will he want to be around her.

and two, Im not fond of her as a good female character because shes got typical female personality traits. shes sweet, girly, bratty and quick to anger... all these traits they have used in majortiy of female characters. Plus they like to cast her as weak because shes pink and a girl. bleh. wheres the balance between girly and not girly?

i do like how she went from a miss male character to her own, but shes still exists in relation to Sonic

• Thumbs Up 1

SA1 Amy is best Amy.

She's clearly infatuated with Sonic and has this obvious crush on him, but that doesn't define her character for the entire game. She has her own goals and ambitions, defeats Zero just to help a lost bird, and even plays a pivotal role in E-102 Gamma's reformation. I feel her crush on Sonic was more subdued in this game than later installments, and is one of the most believable takes on Amy in the franchise.

She was written pretty well in Lost World too, for what little screentime she had. More of that, please.

• Thumbs Up 8

Wow, I guess I've been giving some of the writing too much credit.

"You see, she's actually a cunning ruse meister, because only a complete idiot could truly be so hardheaded!"

I think Amy at her best is a perfectly likable character and one that has left a mark on the series while being a rather harmless addition.

I think personality wise, it's just her tendency to skip between two extremes, especially other media such as Sonic X and Archie. She's either perfectly down to earth, and befitting the role of a generic somewhat boring token female character, or she's a traditional sociopathic Tsundere that we see in spades in animes that's abusive and mean tempered to everyone. For what it's worth the mainstream games tend to at least keep some sort of balance, even in her highly criticized Heroes role I don't think she really went overboard, maintaining a kind, altruistic tone towards her team mates while still remaining characteristically bubbly and headstrong, and at times, as Vector bluntly pointed out 'a lil' brat'. I like this manner of her growing, because it shows her positive aspects coming out in a manner that is still her own unique personality, rather than just being diluted into an unimposing competent character like she is in the comics.

Her one over step was in the Team Sonic battle, but let's face facts, everyone randomly turned into a sociopath in those battles.

The only portrayal of Amy I've ever truly liked in a Sonic game is Sonic Adventure's. In almost every Sonic game, she appears out of nowhere just to be a damsel in distress(Unleashed), show how much of a color blind moron she is(Adventure 2, 06), or barely even do anything to benefit the plot(Generations, kind of Lost World).

She's a character that usually gets on my nerves, but if there's one thing I can credit the character stories in Sonic Adventure for, it's that they tried to develop their characters, with Amy being the character that comes to mind aside from Gamma. She's still fan girl-ing over Sonic in the beginning, but she tries to make herself useful by helping out a Flickie and proving her worth. She just happens to find Sonic out of nowhere, but her main focus was helping the bird. At the end of her story, she actually feels like a useful character by going on her own quest, defeating Zero, and getting the Flickie back to its family. She comes to a realization: she still has mad love for Sonic, but she's going to try and prove herself to him so in the end, he'll be the one pining after her eventually. Her character seemed to be going somewhere.

Unfortunately, she seemed to revert back to her desperate fangirl personality afterward, which really sucks. Amy can be a good character, but she just seems to lack purpose, as do a lot of Sonic's supporting cast lately. I want her character to actually go somewhere again, but I really don't think that's going to be happening anytime soon.

I really don't have a problem with shallow characterization in the games, as long as it's fairly positive. This isn't friggin Deus Ex, just don't be a dick.

I think Amy's portrayal in Sonic Battle was downright hilarious for her character. I kinda like that Amy. So extreme that it's funny. Any other time, she normally just bores me as "that pink one who really likes Sonic".

I like Amy, she's one of my favourite characters.

On the positive side I think it's obvious in Sonic CD she's just a damsel in distress. Yes there are little red hearts flying everywhere and she grabs onto Sonic, not letting him go until he jumps! XD But she's just besotted, there's no real craziness being shown there, she's not threatening violence to get her way. I like her motivation in SA1 and 2, she's not defined by her infatuation and she shows she has the time and heart to help others in need. I like her role in Unleashed as well, I always go to talk to her and I find her reactions hilarious.

In the comics, I think I've said too many times that Amy is one of my favourite STC characters. She is just an all-around badass with great Freedom Fightin' skills and competence (she's the leader when Sonic is away FFS! :D), and it's left ambiguous as to whether she genuinely fancies Sonic or just teases him with it because his reaction is pretty damned funny(!) In Archie I was starting to like the way in which she was being written before the reboot. She picked her chances to flirt with Sonic but most of the time she kept a cool head and got on with the fight, she even fought off nosey Mobotroplis citizens when Sonic and Sally were on a date. Obviously I haven't seen much of her in the new Mobius so I have no idea how it will pan out.

On the negative side, I did cringe at her motivation and dialogue in Sonic Heroes. I mean...eeegh. What was wrong with writing in that she was also trying to help Cream find Cheese as part of her "big sister" role, then she sees Sonic and his buddies are also in the same zone and she gets temporarily distracted?! :D Then Big or Cream shove her into focusing on their rescue mission?!

I also don't like her presence much in Sonic 06, though. It's just too awkward, the little girly talk she has with Elise, her declaration of choice between the world and Sonic, the way she acts towards Silver in general... ugggh.

Oh, I just did a small write up for Amy just a few hours ago, good I can just copy-pasta:

Amy's alright and I did get some mild enjoyment out of her in the first two seasons of Sonic X before Flanderization kicked in, and generally do like how she gets under Sonic's skin with her affection.
My problem with her is indeed her Flanderization, because she has been turned into everything I despise about a Tsundere, basically being an obsessive, abusive bitch that we're supposed to root for, and I'm so over that shit. Free Riders is by far the worst offender. I don't care if people like that Amy can be a little bratty; there's being bratty and mildly annoying, and there's being an all and out jackass.
Funnily enough, for all of the shit that the current writers get, they have made Amy the most tolerable she's been in years to me. She's supportive and friendly, but not obsessive. It was such a drastic change I had to rewatch to see if it was the same character. Now if they are actually consistent about her character this time, then I wouldn't mind her getting more focus.
She's pretty much the fourth main character after Knuckles, especially in the early 2000 era. So, her being around is expected.
Blaze is still a better character tho :V

I like to think that, at her worst, it's just an act. I guess I shouldn’t do that, and just take everything at face value, but maybe I can't be bothered to hate a cartoon rodent.

One extreme I didn't like about her temper is the whole 'everyone's terrified of her' gag. I like her temper when it is subdued and treated as a flaw that makes her more ineffectual (like Knuckles most of the time) but when it reverts to even villains like Eggman seeing her as the embodiment of hell when angered, it makes it less dimensional and dehumanizes her into a sociopath. Not to mention, as mentioned above, it falls into the usual Tsundere qualities of looking more like an abusive bully than an endearingly hotheaded character.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont like this character mostly because one, she wont get a clue and leave Sonic alone. Sonic doesnt like her as it is, only as a friend that acts normal will he want to be around her.

"Get a clue?" OK, I really don't want to be "that" guy, but there’s something I don't understand.

Why doesn't he just say something to her, if he doesn't find any value in her being around him? Obviously, running away hasn't done anything, so what's stopping him from setting her straight? He doesn't owe her a damn thing, what does he have to lose?

Because then she'd have nothing to do and the series wouldn't have it's main heroine.

Personally, I agree with Mechano. I'd rather have Amy (And the story in general) more akin to Adventure. She's pretty good in the Archie comics, too. I loved her slapping Sonic out of his slump when everything was going down the crapper.

I just hate the extremes.

Funnily, that's how a lot of people feel about Amy.

• Thumbs Up 1

"Get a clue?" OK, I really don't want to be "that" guy, but there’s something I don't understand.

Why doesn't he just say something to her, if he doesn't find any value in her being around him? Obviously, running away hasn't done anything, so what's stopping him from setting her straight? He doesn't owe her a damn thing, what does he have to lose?

Dunno if this really makes for an answer, or if it is just my headcanon speaking, but Amy is probably like a point of familiarity for Sonic. She's annoying, kind, scary, and everything in between, but her continual chasing of him is a point of consistency in a world that is constantly changing, and even though Sonic might be fine to go with the flow and take whatever the world throws at him, it's nice to have a point of familiarity when everyone else is changing (Knuckles becoming an idiot, Tails becoming a genius, etc.).

Because Sonic isn't like that. Although it's mean to kind of lead her on, I don't think he has it in him to say "get a clue", at least to someone who is not a bad guy!

Also he's clearly scared of her, judging by his reaction to her at the end of Riders! biggrin.png

Honestly, I'm almost certain Sonic somewhat likes the chase, even if he finds it annoying. Plus I don't think telling her off would really put her off considering all of the other shit she puts up with from him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that ultimately, Sonic's too nice to tell her to lay off. Sure he stiff-arm's her in the Generations intro but that's still not particularly mean. I really don't believe that Sonic is the kind of guy who would willingly make anyone feel sad and this assumption is more credible when you consider that he hates tears.

I think that ultimately, Sonic's too nice to tell her to lay off. Sure he stiff-arm's her in the Generations intro but that's still not particularly mean. I really don't believe that Sonic is the kind of guy who would willingly make anyone feel sad and this assumption is more credible when you consider that he hates tears.

Well, I really wouldn't say it's being mean if it's an issue for him. She started it.

Isn't more dickish to lead her on though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think he's really leading her on, though.

I mean, most of the time his disinterest (romantically-speaking) is obvious. Sonic Battle, in particular, is a good example of that. And in those games she's usually oblivious to it. Either that or she's aware, but it doesn't really stop her from crushing on him. Meanwhile, in her more...levelheaded portrayals like, Sonic treats Amy the same as anyone else, and while she clearly has feelings for him, it doesn't consume her. 

Like, in SA2 there was the "I'll let you out of prison if you marry me"  scene seemed more like the two of them joking around more than anything. That's how I interpret it, anyway. XP

At most, him agreeing to a date sometime before Black Knight could be seen as "leading her on"...but we don't really know the circumstances behind that. It's kinda left up to interpretation.

• Thumbs Up 4