Awoo.

Rosy the Rascal: endearing and revolting

CrunchTime

What dosent help with "extremes" of opinions is the way amy as a character has been thrown around so many ways in all the different media (games,comics,cartoons) although she has always wanted to be with sonic that level of how much has been played with so much its hard to ever say unless a continuity of character begins to start.

I don't think he's really leading her on, though.

I mean, most of the time his disinterest (romantically-speaking) is obvious. Sonic Battle, in particular, is a good example of that. 

What happened in that game?

At most, him agreeing to a date sometime before Black Knight could be seen as "leading her on"...but we don't really know the circumstances behind that. It's kinda left up to interpretation.

If he didn't intend to go through with it, he wouldn't have said yes. His mannerisms (pleading with her, bothering to tell a massive story, etc.) don't imply that he didn't.

What happened in that game?

It was basically the same as Heroes, but up to eleven. Amy's obsession was pretty bad in that game, to the point where Sonic was desperate to get away from her. IIRC, at one point he literally tricks her into closing her eyes so he can run away. Even in Heroes, which isn't my favourite portrayal of Amy (and Sonic's friendship with her) by a longshot, was more lighthearted than anything. In Battle it just got creepy.

It was basically the same as Heroes, but up to eleven. Amy's obsession was pretty bad in that game, to the point where Sonic was desperate to get away from her. IIRC, at one point he literally tricks her into closing her eyes so he can run away. Even in Heroes, which isn't my favourite portrayal of Amy (and Sonic's friendship with her) by a longshot, was more lighthearted than anything. In Battle it just got creepy.

Would you say he was afraid of her?

Something I hate is when Amy is in mortal danger, and people are juiced up at the thought of Sonic consciously letting her die. He wouldn't do this to Dr. Eggman: Chronic Terrorist, but the overzealous teenage girl deserves to be judged by God.

Amy Rose was badass in Sonic the Comic. That's my favourite version of Amy. I don't like any of the other versions of her. There's nothing special about her other than her design which could do with a little update I think. Generally, she irks me.

The thing is STC Amy was badass to the point of Positive Discrimination. Even the writers admitted it. They were forced by executives to directly make her more mature and competent than every other Freedom Fighters and were restricted from granting her any real flaws.

While it's more subtle about it, this is my problem with Archie Amy as well. They don't develop her personality, they just dilute it and make her superficially badass. This is a cheap way of 'maturing' a character, taking away all their defining flaws so they're character is harmlessly boring and competent.

I'd rather have damsel-esque but vibrant Amy than badass but otherwise bland Amy. I think I'm among the few who think the same way about dumbass Knuckles. Flaws need balance but they're still vital to a character.

• Thumbs Up 2

The thing is STC Amy was badass to the point of Positive Discrimination. Even the writers admitted it. They were forced by executives to directly make her more mature and competent than every other Freedom Fighters and were restricted from granting her any real flaws.

While it's more subtle about it, this is my problem with Archie Amy as well. They don't develop her personality, they just dilute it and make her superficially badass. This is a cheap way of 'maturing' a character, taking away all their defining flaws so they're character is harmlessly boring and competent.

I'd rather have damsel-esque but vibrant Amy than badass but otherwise bland Amy. I think I'm among the few who think the same way about dumbass Knuckles. Flaws need balance but they're still vital to a character.

You had me until the mention of Knuckles. At least Amy is the go-to emotional support. They haven't given Knuckles a chance to be useful in years.

Well, I really wouldn't say it's being mean if it's an issue for him. She started it.

Uh, this is a strange thing to say.

Funny we should start talking about STC Amy - as I too think she is badass, but she's not bland IMO. I find her personality quite interesting; she shows she isn't going to take any shit from anyone, she proves herself to be the leader when Sonic isn't around, and when she is the one to "save the day", she still lets Sonic take  the credit, because in her opinion it's important that the citizens of Mobius see him as the hero. Contrast that with Archie Amy who scoffed about Sonic hogging all the glory. STC Amy sees the bigger picture, her infatuation is kept to a minimum, she is not defined by her feelings.

Why is it strange? 

He wouldn't have to lambaste her, just tell her to cool it. That's not mean, he has the right.

Funny we should start talking about STC Amy - as I too think she is badass, but she's not bland IMO. I find her personality quite interesting; she shows she isn't going to take any shit from anyone, she proves herself to be the leader when Sonic isn't around, and when she is the one to "save the day", she still lets Sonic take  the credit, because in her opinion it's important that the citizens of Mobius see him as the hero. Contrast that with Archie Amy who scoffed about Sonic hogging all the glory. STC Amy sees the bigger picture, her infatuation is kept to a minimum, she is not defined by her feelings.

That's cool, but the problem with some fans and writers problems is that they are pretty much all positive traits. A character still needs flaws to be interesting and colorful. Writers complained that while they could define every hero with some flaw or neuroses (par Johnny, hense his death) they weren't allowed to distinguish Amy with any personality defect.

Why is the concept of an apparent affection for Sonic consistently railed on?

I don't believe his apathy is obliged to weaken anytime soon, and she can be overbearing, but I don't believe her demeanor towards Sonic in the games is without merits.