Awoo.

What I want for a New Sonic Game

Cucco

I want new gimmicks in the games that work well, and cause more fun than agony for the player. In sonic heroes, the thing about controlling 3 players at once worked really well in my opinion, and added in a lot of possibilities that couldn't be explored in the previous sonic games. In Sonic Unleashed, very few people gave a shit about playing as the "werehog", and most people enjoyed the fast-paced daytime stages instead. In colors, the wisp powers only worked okay for me, they didn't really add much fun to the game in my opinion but it didn't hinder my experience. In Sonic Generations I thought it worked really well. If you were a fan of any era of sonic, you would probably would enjoy the game. It added unique remixes to the game and some great possibilities for level design. In sonic lost world...ugh. The whole game was full of gimmicks that no one wanted, or really enjoyed. This was a problem in both of the versions of the game, ESPECIALLY the 3ds version. I just want the next game to have a couple(or one) of interesting gimmicks, that everyone can enjoy to some extent.

I don't think it should be a question of "gimmicks" when nobody can yet agree on what the actual core gameplay should be yet, not even Sega themselves. What they really ought to be doing is to make a Sonic game that sets new standards and actually holds them for a change, and not dividing its audiences further by shoehorning completely different types of gameplay in between. In that regard, Heroes and Unleashed are not a single bit different to one another.

Getting rid of air speed caps and sudden, unexplainable drops in momentum would be a great start too, though that's just me.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, it'd be nice to sort of return to the elemental shield concept at its core: to make power-ups that enhance the current game rather than just change control schemes. I'd much rather have a double-jump than a Drill Wisp, for instance.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really want a Sonic Adventure kind of game, you know. With no boost, items and power ups, that Sonic. Oh, and Chao gardens too.

• Thumbs Up 3

I want a Sonic game thats fun and I can play as Sonic all the way until the end. And show off what makes Sonic and his gameplay amazing

• Thumbs Up 2

I'd like a 3D Sonic game that take Sonic's adventure gameplay and take it to a new direction:

First, the homing attack would no longer be automatic. You'd have to spindash in the air and releasing it depending on wich direction you go (the camera would be fixed at Sonic's direction and a crosshair would appear. Also the aiming would not be limited to a single axis.). On that also 2 things would be made: Since this is an actual airdash and not an automatic one, you actually bounce out of the impact at an enemy. Also you can aircharge walls so you can bounce off them (but only from a certain angle: if you're charging normally near the ground, you will not bounce off it and you will start running.). The bounce bracelet would be there too, althought it doesn't have the versitility of the air charge, it launches you immediatly downward to great speed and the bounce's power depends on how long you've been falling, meaning if you do that to a huge pit, you will bounce off extremely high.

LW's parkour system would be there too, but improved. It'd work by holding a certain button while running towards a ledge/wall or by jumping on it, but holding said button would also cap your running speed.

And for last: Rolling. That's something that baffles me: in SA1, Knuckles and Tails could roll, but not Sonic? Why? It'd be so much easier to deal with enemies without launching yourself to maximum speed just so you could destroy that enemy.

Edited by Daya

And for last: Rolling. That's something that baffles me: in SA1, Knuckles and Tails could roll, but not Sonic? Why? It'd be so much easier to deal with enemies without launching yourself to maximum speed just so you could destroy that enemy.

Well, you could just tap the button to do a tiny little spindash and roll from there. It's not much faster than the minimum speed you'd need to roll anyway.

I really want a Sonic Adventure kind of game, you know. With no boost, items and power ups, that Sonic. Oh, and Chao gardens too.

Pretty much this. Besides a few glitches, I thought that Sonic's portion of Adventure had one of the most perfect formulas in the series. Sonic's jump was floaty, but it was just right and necessary for the game's platforming. Sonic wasn't too fast, and he wasn't too slow. And small power-ups (Light-Speed Shoes, Light-Speed Ring) were great little gimmicks that didn't even get in your face too often. The spindash worked pretty well, too. There were also objects scattered around the game like shields and extra lives. (Sadly most modern games only include the lives and no shields, unless you count portables like Lost World 3D) Basically something like Adventure 1 or 2 would be pretty nice. 06 tried it's shot at the formula as well, but we all know how that went...

If I had full creative reigns on an official Sonic game, I'd definitely want to make an Adventure-esque game (the "run-jump-spindash" gameplay, story emphasis, other characters playable) with influences from Lost World (parkour mechanics, animal collecting, red rings) and Unleashed (hubworlds, npcs, extra content). Take all that and introduce a whole bunch of new, fresh concepts (that don't interfere with what you established) and you've got game-of-the-year material in my eyes.

But if I was to say what I want without being picky, I guess I just want something grandiose, or whole-hearted. The best kind of games know what made them work to begin with, know what it takes to make it better, and are willing to take all that and mix it with fresh, new ideas and it all sort of is amplified by how much heart and soul was poured into the game.

Its so seldom we get that in a Sonic game, and I can't help but look back at the classics, SA1 or Unleashed a lot because (even with the flaws and shortcomings of the latter two games) I can feel the love and effort crafted into them, and that's what makes them so special to me. 

• Thumbs Up 3