Awoo.

Increased MP/PD Minimums

Chris

I'm not a fan of people joining forums just to sell stuff, it happened on STCO a few times as well.

It just smells a bit like they don't care about the forum itself, they just want to advertise.

• Thumbs Up 1

What was the other limit again? 

Either way this looks to be the best, avoids bad sellers/buyers.

Less than half of this limitation. I believe it was 20 for the MP and 10 for PD.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well crap, their goes my newbie underground drug ring disguised as sonic merch. their not going to want to do 50 posts, they are just a bunch of lazy potheads after all.

Thanks now my plan is scrapped. and I would've got away with it too if it wasn't for that meddling admin and his tinkering~!

(Cool. guess its supposed to build up trust more right? too bad for the semi-newbies who just got the PD/MP unlocked though.)

• Thumbs Up 2

Doesn't affect me so I'm not miffed either way. 

One thing though: If the worst happens and we have another server wipe, it might be best to drop the limit back to what it was before to make it easier for returning members. I can't imagine a limit this high being productive in that situation. 

• Thumbs Up 1

This sounds good! I personally never really use the Marketplace but the Personal Discussion will benefit from this a lot as well!

• Thumbs Up 1

I like this Idea, only because it will help keep people's information private for users only.  Any creeper can just join , make a few posts and then read whatever he wants. But 50 posts is a goal to obtain that usually takes a good while.And by then the person is usually better known by the rest of the SSMB members, and can be proven not to simply be a creeper.

• Thumbs Up 3

Doesn't affect me so I'm not miffed either way. 

One thing though: If the worst happens and we have another server wipe, it might be best to drop the limit back to what it was before to make it easier for returning members. I can't imagine a limit this high being productive in that situation. 

The server wipe isn't very likely to happen again. They use new methods for keeping the site up now (don't remember the details, but I think bmn said something once.)

How long will this experiment last?

• Thumbs Up 1

Less than half of this limitation. I believe it was 20 for the MP and 10 for PD.

I don't believe there was ever a limit on how many posts you needed before you could view Personal Discussion topics, as we've had members join for the express purpose of using said forum.

But yeah, I'm all for this restriction, to be honest.  15 is far too small a requirement to encourage meaningful contribution, and I personally am not fond of users joining solely to see the Personal Discussion forum.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm glad you've put a limit on PD, because the influx of people coming to this forum just to tote around ideas of suicide/wanting to die and stuff and it was honestly getting rather awkward since we didn't know these people from Adam.

Although it's good news for the Marketplace too, although we don't get no where near the amount of fakey accounts as we used to.

• Thumbs Up 1

Though it doesn't affect me I'm certainly on board with the idea. Not only does it establish the possibility of a better sense of trust but also a better sense of community I reckon. It's better that somebody makes themselves at least a little known here before they try to take your money for something.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nobody knows who I am :D

I do think this is a great idea though, I've seen new people cause lots of drama before on other forums, which is usually a waste of time for the more experienced members thunder_says_nope_by_thunderbolt_the_fox

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm quite happy with the change as I've always thought the minimum for the Marketplace was way too low. Made it easier for people only interested in selling to just spam their way into the place.

• Thumbs Up 3

The thing with the market place, the majority of people on here could tell within the first few posts who was just here to flog stuff, but given that there has been a slight increase in 2013 of people doing it, it's probably a good idea.

Just be happy it's no longer 3 months and 50 posts.

However... the main one is PD.

I knew there was a restriction on it, but I had no idea it was that low, definately agree with that increase. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I rarely venture into PD, but sellers in the MP who have blatantly registered just to use that section are massively annoying. Glad that you made this change!

• Thumbs Up 1

The Marketplace is mainly for the sale and trade of items between our members (and the discussion of said merchandise). Considering that involves real financial transactions, we'd much rather people prove they're a willing member of our community with a minimal level of trustworthiness before jumping in there, instead of signing up just to peddle their eBay links.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm pretty glad with the increased requirements, especially the PD one. I find it weird that it was 10 back then... Anyways, I know I'm someone on here that doesn't post too much (though, I do believe I'm slightly opening up a bit more), and I do try and avoid the PD section unless I really have something to say (I might start using it more often now, actually), but when I do use the PD section, the last thing I wouldn't want is for someone who only made a good 10 posts to come and start reading personal stuff. Not the type of random personal stuff I put in my statuses, e.g, having a good day at school), but any actual deep and personal things in the future that I may end up revealing over there, e.g, any medical problems, or family problems). 

...Just many thoughts.

Edit - Now I feel weird seeing my posting being the post to start page 2.