Awoo.

The UAFCAT! (Unliked & Forgotten character appreciation thread)

ZonicZoneCop

This is a thread for all the characters who were shunned, nay, ABANDONED by the community to get their due!

From forgotten ones like Bean and Bark, to those disliked such as Silver and Marine, this is for everyone of that accord!

So, let's get started! Which forgotten or unliked character do you enjoy!

Personally...I can't bring myself to hate any character! I donno, they're all so cool!

But Silver and Marine are likely my favorite~!

Also, no fighting! This is for honest criticism, not attacking characters!

Have fuuun!

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic2011-1xf6tbk.png

Sonic. Hes unappreated character not only by the fans but by Sonic team long time ago. Because may fans say that playing as Sonic is dull. Its also because Sonic team gave other characters more moves than Sonic had making him dull compared. Also I see alot of fans dont like him because he has a free personality and they think he doesnt take things seriously. Sonic does take things seriously and he does care! He is not as emotinal as everyone else but hes still the orginal heart of the team. Now, they made Sonic more amazing in the games so I hope people like him again.

20111007014619!Silver_the_Hedgehog.png

Silver. hes one of the most hated characters from Ive seen, but I actually..... LOVE this guy. Hes number 3 on my favorites list and was afraid someone would flame me for it more than if I said I liked Elise or Big. The reason why I like him is his personality. Hes naive and unexperianced and like a mix of Amy and Cream but hes a guy. He wants to be the hero but doesnt know how to be one. He wants the people to be happy so he tries is hardest. the thing I like most is that he attaches himself to strong girls like Blaze and Amy because they have more leadership skills due to the lack of a female role model or motherly figure in his life. Also when I saw him, I didnt think he was a hedgehog I thought he was a cockatoo but when they said hedgehog I was embarrased www Yes he was a jerk in Sonic Rivals but he acts that way to try to be tough when he really doesnt know how to be a hero. Which is why I like him.

princesszz.png

Princess Elise. Shes hated because shes human and she kiss Sonic. But thats no reason to hate her. her design is very elegant and very princess-like except her dress isnt typically flowery and puffy and down to her feet which I find unique in princess dresses. And it wasnt pink! Not only that but she was a character to take Sonics advice and insperation to heart. She escaped from Dr Eggman not once but twice. And when Dr Eggman said he would reign terror on the people, Elise gave herself up, instead of running away. Showing that she also has a heart.

ASR_Big.png

Big. am I the only one who love his gameplay in Sonic Adventure? It was fun and relaxing. And I love the little guy! Unlike everyone else, he is the most relax character in the series. When you dont feel like fighting you can fish with this character. I love outdoors characters and thats why hes a favorite of mine. Big reminds me of a sweet southern person who takes life one fish at a time. Plus his design is more orginal and fun (except for Sonic, Sonic rules!) than most of the characters. Im sad that he retired.

Jet_in_ZG.png

Jet. Hes unappreated character but hes a very good rival of Sonic. Hes free, cocky but he approah things different than Sonic. He takes thinks head on. Hes also cool because hes one that doesnt like to lose but he also likes to play fair like in Sonic Free Riders when he wanted a rematch. Hes a fun character in personality and design. I just love birds!

sally_acorn_smile_by_mason006425-d3h3j9v

Sally Acorn. Shes mostly hated because shes Sonics girlfriend, a princess and shes not Amy. But I like this character because shes strong, she knows what to do, shes smart and she has her own girly emotions and feelings. which makes her one of the better female characters. she can fight like a man but act like a girl.

ChrisThorndyke.jpg

yeah I like him. but hes super hated because people think hes gay for being close to Sonic. But hes awesome because hes not the same 12 year old. he can fix machines, fly airplaines and is super helpful to Sonic and his team.

I liked most of the characters listed here, except Chris and Elise, though even for them, Chris was more just harmlessly bland than heinously unlikable and Elise was a character better suited for a much different franchise.

I did like Sally's character in Satam and the early comics (ie. smart, selfless and lucid, but neurotic, stubbornly meticulous and occasionally pompous and stroppy), and I also love most of Kath Soucie's roles. I just think she would have worked a whole lot better if they had dumped the Positive Discrimination part, which limited her to a Straight Man rather than getting any proper character based spotlight herself. She had all the traits ideal for a rounded complex character (potentially the most so in the entire franchise), but rarely got to shine, and even worse she stole a lot of spotlight with the formula they limited her to which likely added to the bile. Archie tries to fix this, but they've diluted her so much to the 'strong, dignified female role model' aspect that they don't really seem to know where to go with it. Basically Sally is a beautiful jigsaw puzzle with the pieces put together wrong.

And I agree on Sonic himself, especially the games version. So many fans think he's paper thin, but I think he's the most likable incarnation of the character yet, especially after Lost World.

I say this with caution but...I actually LIKED Big's fishing stages in doses. They could have been implemented better, but I think they're fun in a minigame sense. He's probably my favorite power character to use in Heroes as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

I forgot two of them:

Sonic_and_Caliburn.jpg

Caliburn. Hes a forgotten character and some hate him. But I think he goes good with Sonic and unlike Sonics other sidekicks (Chip and Sharhra) Caliburn is no nonesense character and wants Sonic to take seriously and to be as amazing as hes always been. Also he doesnt submit to Sonic like the other two. Hes good on his own and dominant. Plus ... hes a sword! how awesome is that?! I hate Sonic and the Black Knight but Sonic and Caliburn were awesome.

eggman-eggman-club-29301647-640-479.jpg

Dr Eggman. Yeah sometimes i think hes unappreicated because he isnt a god monster like Mephiles or Metal Sonic. Sometimes poor Eggman gets shoved to the side by the god monster villians. But i like him because hes goofy and threatning. Plus hes smart.

Sally's hated for many stupid reasons.

"She stole Sonic from Amy!" - Uh, no she didn't. If you mean SatAM Sally, Amy doesn't even exist in that continuity. And in Archie, it was never a case of 'stealing' him. Sonic and Sally have been dear friends since early childhood and have an interest towards each other that Amy respects even if she has her own interest in Sonic. There's never been tension between these two characters concerning romantic interests.

"She's a glaring Mary Sue!" - Which is something only Flynn and certain other writers has done with their fucking annoying fixation on insinuating that she's 'perfect' and portraying some of her negative qualities as being sympathetic and the subject of consoling of her actions by the likes of Khan. When Sally's actually written well, she's a cool and realistic character who is pretty interesting and who has only certain fields of specialty i.e Logic reasoning and analysis above brute strength.

"She's a slut because she never wore clothes that covered her up!" - This is a case of looking at it the wrong way. When you look at it from an in-universe perspective, Sally's minimal clothing is not regarded by any other character as being suggestive or promiscuous and Sally doesn't act like that at all anyway. So this is a completely groundless criticism.

Really, I feel like many of the criticisms leveled at Sally are hate for the sake of hate.

ChrisThorndyke.jpg

yeah I like him. but hes super hated because people think hes gay for being close to Sonic. But hes awesome because hes not the same 12 year old. he can fix machines, fly airplaines and is super helpful to Sonic and his team.

I dislike Chris because he's a completely unnecessary creator's pet who shamelessly leeches character roles and has extremely annoying mannerisms.

Unnecessary because the series never needed a character to take the role of audience surrogate regarding Sonic because the franchise has been connecting with it's audience for many years beforehand.

Creator's pet because focus is put upon him to the detriment of other characters and the show overall and his 'flaws' are sympathetic ones.

Annoying because his Sonic fixation makes Amy's look downright sane in X and that's saying something.

I know this is a topic about character appreciation but goddamn there is not a single likable thing I can find about this Wesley.

• Thumbs Up 6

I thought we COULD critisize the characters, Im not sure but it wouldnt be a discussion without disagreement. So we should be able to disagree with others opinions on characters and state why.

With that, I disagree that that Thorndyke is a bad character but I understand why you say so and it makes sense. I think he can be awesome if done right, like in the last season. But how he views Sonic is weird, but the problem is that while he has a blutler, a maid, his grandfather and 3 close friends.... he want the love from is parents and they havent been around for him. So in a way, he views Sonic like a father figure if I am making sense.

Can we talk about the irony of deducing that the character that is generally the most quiet and efficient of this zany cast is instead deemed to be whiny and always feeling sorry for himself? Or how about the eye-brow raiser that a character that has had many different interpretations of his character- ten in one game- is always deemed to be completely emotionless just because he isn't fucking hopped up all the time? Shadow gets the short end of the stick a lot of the time, even though I feel he's one of the more versatile heroes to actually use both from a narrative and gameplay standpoint. I'd honestly rather see him back over a few other mainstays at this point (I can't care about Knuckles anymore) to at least make the plotting a little more interesting.

• Thumbs Up 2

I love Shadow too and the near constant manner in which he's regarded as some eternal angstwad who has an unhealthy fixation with firearms is amongst one of my biggest Sonic-related pet peeves. Someone on Tumblr explained the misconceptions that surround Shadow's character which are often used to shit on him better than I can;

Nothing angers me more than the stereotypes connected to Shadow the Hedgehog. Bear with me, I need to rant right now. I see this in the tag or on pictures every so often and, ugh. 

1 Shadow only uses guns out of self-defense or to complete a mission (like destroying the spotlights in White Acropolis with the Armed Buggy, for example), and he much prefers his Chaos abilities. He’s not some big, gun-toting badass who uses guns for the sake of being angry and tough or cool and he would certainly never shoot anyone who even slightly annoyed him. 

2. I despise this stereotype. Shadow does not hate Sonic. The only time he was ever outright antagonistic towards him was during SA2 when he was hellbent on a fabricated desire for revenge. He was snappy towards Sonic in SHth, but that was because he didn’t remember him or anyone else and, thus, only knew people by what he saw on the surface (and, let’s be honest, Sonic was a tad annoying in the game). Any other time? He was competitive, at best. 

Remember, in Sonic 06, when Shadow jumped in to save Sonic from Silver? He could have easily let him die, but he saw him in danger and intervened. He even looked back at him to make sure he was okay. Just because the game isn’t canon doesn’t mean the potential for a situation like this isn’t still there. 

Sonic is an ally and rival to Shadow. He’s not someone he beats up for fun or treats like an idiot or pure annoyance just for existing. Hell, he gave

Sonic verbal encouragement in the fight with the Time Eater. Any idea of Shadow despising Sonic is purely fan-fabricated, by now. 

3. Shadow is not an ‘emo’. You try going through all the shit Shadow did and see if you come out all sunshine and daisies. He had his entire world, everything and everyone he knew and loved, ripped away from him in a surprise raid by GUN. He lost his memory and had to find his own answers (stupid Sega), and he had to deal with his biological father, who happened to be an alien overlord bent on harvesting the inhabitants of Earth for his race, constantly trying to manipulate him onto his side. 

And you know what? Through all of that, everything, he still came out on top and was strong enough to put his past behind him. He is not some ‘emo’ clinging to his past. Give him some damned credit. 

4. He is not overly-aggressive. Knuckles is the one who punches first and asks questions later. Shadow generally works the other way around. He is not a black and red echidna. 

5. He is not some lusty creature. If anything, Shadow is so focused on his goals that he’d have little interest in anything even slightly romance-oriented and, even if he was developed enough to reach that point, he’d be awkward as fuck. Just because he’s attractive does not make him a suave lady (or man) killer.

On another tangent, unjustified Chip hate gets my goat too. Especially the delusion that he 'stole' Tails' role.

• Thumbs Up 4

On another tangent, unjustified Chip hate gets my goat too. Especially the delusion that he 'stole' Tails' role.

Agreed. Fair enough if his running gags and personality don't appeal to you, but for this criticism to make a lick of sense you have to simultaneously ignore everything about the story as well as conclude that Sonic can't be friendly to more than one person on top of it. Makes me grind my fucking teeth.

Eggman Nega.

I admit, I used to think he was just an Eggman copy, but then I had a discussion with another member on the Sega forums and thought it over. Eggman Nega LOOKS like Eggman, but that's all he has in common. Truth is, while Eggman Nega is more formal than his current counterpart,  his type of evil and motivation behind it is different of that of Dr Eggman's. Even Eggman was suprised then Eggman Nega said he wanted to wipe Blaze's kingdom off the map. Eggman does bad for a cheap thrill and to see if he could beat Sonic. Eggman Nega does bad because he enjoys the hero's suffering. He's a sociopath compared to Eggman. Even Eggman feels bad if the hero is about to die because there would be no motivation for him. Eggman Nega doesn't give a damn, as long as the hero is suffering.

That's what makes Eggman Nega awesome. Because he's his own character who even Eggman himself doesn't like. Eggman Nega is one not to be taken lightly or to make fun of, unlike Eggman and Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

firemon.png

Readying flame shields.... awaaaaay!

Eggman Nega.

I admit, I used to think he was just an Eggman copy, but then I had a discussion with another member on the Sega forums and thought it over. Eggman Nega LOOKS like Eggman, but that's all he has in common. Truth is, while Eggman Nega is more formal than his current counterpart,  his type of evil and motivation behind it is different of that of Dr Eggman's. Even Eggman was suprised then Eggman Nega said he wanted to wipe Blaze's kingdom off the map. Eggman does bad for a cheap thrill and to see if he could beat Sonic. Eggman Nega does bad because he enjoys the hero's suffering. He's a sociopath compared to Eggman. Even Eggman feels bad if the hero is about to die because there would be no motivation for him. Eggman Nega doesn't give a damn, as long as the hero is suffering.

That's what makes Eggman Nega awesome. Because he's his own character who even Eggman himself doesn't like. Eggman Nega is one not to be taken lightly or to make fun of, unlike Eggman and Sonic.

To keep things in a nutshell, that's exactly why I don't like him. tongue.png

Also, a friendly word of advice. I don't think it's a good idea to say things like *insert flame shield* and the like, because that will likely just tempt people even more into actually bashing your opinions.

• Thumbs Up 1

To keep things in a nutshell, that's exactly why I don't like him. tongue.png

Also, a friendly word of advice. I don't think it's a good idea to say things like *insert flame shield* and the like, because that will likely just tempt people even more into actually bashing your opinions.

I don't want to be hated again for liking Silver or whatnot or for anyone to make fun of me. That's why with these topics, I say that. It's like a form of protection against people who judge me.

I don't want to be hated again for liking Silver or whatnot or for anyone to make fun of me. That's why with these topics, I say that. It's like a form of protection against people who judge me.

I don't believe people are going to hate you as a person or make fun of you for you liking a character you...well, like. Everyone has their own opinions and whatnot. 

And people judging other people's opinions and such...a 'flame shield' won't protect you from that. As long as there's a level of respect between the two parties it should be all good in da 'hood.

...did I really say that part at the end 

I understand that, but saying things like that will just make that possibility even more likely, not less. It gives off the impression that you want people to bash you, unlikely as that may actually be.

I don't want to derail this topic further because of this point, I just want you to keep that in mind, that's all. wink.png

I actually like Big. His character was unlike anything we had before his introduction. He is a simple-minded character who lives far from the world problems. During Sonic Adventure he could have just stayed home and he would have continued to live a normal life of fishing and napping. Instead, when his best friend disappeared, he travelled far and wide to search for him. And he did that...how many times?

He reminds me of Disney's Goofy in many aspects.

Another character I like is G-Mel. Gemerl. Gemel? You know, the robot from Sonic Advance 3. I actually loved how Emerl became a valid member of the team during Sonic Battle and the idea of him returning was a relief for me. Sure, G-Mel is not exactly Emerl, more like a copy of his data but with robot characters that's how it works in fiction. Unfortunately he doesn't appear anymore. I hope Sega lifts the embargo that stops him from showing in Archie comics. I'm sure he would shine in them.

Speaking of the Archie comics....I'm not a fan of random-shouting Bean. An insane character who blabbers non-sense? That's probably not what I imagined when I first saw Bean, but I guess you have to do...something about a character without character in its game. Still, he is a duck. I love ducks.

Mammoth Mogul is one of my favourite Archie characters, a great villain if used right. But I'm kinda sad that maybe he is not going to appear anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1

How about Rouge?

Rouge-1-rouge-the-bat-fan-club-26777639-

Often blasted for her over-sexualised appearance and irritating stages, Rouge the Bat certainly isn't everyone's favourite. As a G.U.N. agent, Ms. Bat has the perfect opportunity to drop in on any of Sonic's adventures, and yet she remains a peripheral character. Why? Well, people don't like her.

I think Rouge is grossly misused: finally a chance to add a morally ambiguous character to the series, a wildcard whose motivations are known only to them -- and Sonic Team just say 'bewbs lol' and leave it there. Their portrayal adds nothing to the character or give her any depth.

In the status updates, I posted that to fix Rouge, ST could just 'make [Rouge] Ada Wong' from the Resident Evil series. I should clarify here, as I think it makes some sense, but can be misunderstood easily. In RE, Ada Wong is a secret agent whose allegiances change multiple times over the series, but it becomes clear that she also has her own agenda, playing double agent or taking on the powers that be herself. In short, she is determined, effortlessly stylish, mysterious, but above all else, she is lethally competent.

Ada is a character ST should strive to emulate through Rouge; would it be so hard to make her the indirect cause of some of the conflicts Sonic has to stop? Maybe she is hired by Eggman, unbeknownst to her, to steal a chaos emerald to order? From there, it could go anywhere: she gives it to the doc, Sonic has to get it back; she keeps it for herself and G.U.N., Sonic has to fight human soldiers to get it before Eggy (moral conflict anyone?); her and Shadow are declared Rogue agents by G.U.N., and Sonic and co. have to find the truth.

Something like that. Just don't have a character you can easily put in the background and use unobtrusively and don't use them.

But yeah. Rouge: a character with a ton of potential for worldbuilding, different plot types and undoing her terrible reputation as a useless 'bewbs' object.

• Thumbs Up 4

How about Rouge?

I think Rouge is grossly misused: finally a chance to add a morally ambiguous character to the series, a wildcard whose motivations are known only to them -- and Sonic Team just say 'bewbs lol' and leave it there.

Actually, it's the fans that say "bewbs lol" and leave it there, because apparently those that do can't see anything else she's done. Sonic Team just throw her around because they don't know very much of what to do with her like other characters.

Granted, she is misused, and she hasn't done in the recent games she's in. But it says a lot that, despite her design, none of her actions in the games make any attempt to focus on her breasts and the fans completely define everything about her in the series based on just that.

• Thumbs Up 2

This guy.......

Mighty_in_Knuckles_Chaotix.gif

......left to rot sad.png

Mighty had his moment in the sun with SEGASonic the Hedgehog and Knuckles Chaotix. Such a shame he wasn't part of Team Chaotix in Sonic Heroes. I just think he is a cool character with a nice design and colouring.

The 'missing persons' poster in Generations was a start, but we need to see more of this guy.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'd say Rouge is more controversal than she is hated. Because let's face it, a woman with cleavage and described as "sexy" in a franchise geared towards children doesn't sit will with parents. Which I think it's more people overreacting than anything.

• Thumbs Up 3

Concerning Sally and Chris, I think it's often also because a lot of writers deem them into Straight Man or Audience Surrogate territory, being the more down to earth and 'normal' member of the squad, something that maybe doesn't quite work because audiences can't always relate to their not so normal backgrounds and circumstances, and also because far too many writers simplify lucidity as making the character generic and boring on their own.

As said I liked Sally in early media because, while still lucid, she had quirks and endearing qualities to her character like being kinda uppity and neurotic, just it was kinda downplayed because they didn't really look into these flaws storywise, always playing her as Sonic's Straight Man and 'better half'. In later comics they downplayed the whimsical qualities of Sally altogether (and most of the other Freedom Fighters for that matter) to the point she's kinda dull, even ironically when writers like Ian try to break the flaw of early medias and actually make a flawed episode for her (which mostly consist of Compressed Vices or generic moments of angst or low self esteem that you see for undefined characters). Even in her own mini series, she was a fairly dull protagonist due to lacking any quirks to make real conflict or starring power without Sonic as a foil.

Chris is even worse because he lacked even those 'signs of life' Sally had before. One could argue he had shades of being a bratty half pint, but fans didn't endear to it at all. Usually he was just an Audience Surrogate, that blank slate kid that's in the viewers' dream role of meeting Sonic in real life.

I think this is often where 'quirky' comical characters are underrated, since they are allowed to have more full fledged traits that define their personality and goals. Say what you will about Big, but he isn't bland. Nearly everything about him defines his personality and goals in life. I think this also where the more comical enterpretations of characters like Amy and Knuckles are underrated. Sonic X Amy was over abrasive, but I'd take her over the diluted variants of STC or even Archie.