Awoo.

The UAFCAT! (Unliked & Forgotten character appreciation thread)

ZonicZoneCop

Chara_bark.gif

I've loved Bark's design since I first laid eyes on it. While he doesn't have much actual character, his design really stands out from the rest of the cast. Especially during the early days where the cast were pretty much all the same size and build. Line up Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy and Bark and he stands out in a good way. I'd love to see him make a return, I know it'll never happen but...yeah...

These days there's a little more variety with some of the cast, Big...that Albatross one...what's his name again and Vector (who also had quite a differnt look in his original design) but Bark really stood out at the beginning.

• Thumbs Up 2

Lumina and Void come to my mind as forgotten characters but not to me, I liked Sonic Shuffle :)

Manic and Sonia from Sonic underground?

Also Ray. He is so cute but i think he was seen to much of a tails clone so they did away with him. Aww :(

• Thumbs Up 1

sonic_and_chip_by_unichrome_uni-d6poh88.

Even though he tends to act incredibly obnoxious at points, Chip is one of my favorite Sonic sidekicks(that obviously isn't Tails). I think his deep English VA is a surprisingly good fit, and he feels like the Ying to Sonic's Yang a lot of the time. 

Chip is a character I feel like I can relate to at times: he's a bit of a coward early on, his love of food and seeing the world, something I strongly desire, makes me grin from ear to ear, and his love of Chocolate is something that can't help but make me smile. His design is also kind of cute, he looks like a dog you would instantly want to adopt.

What I really like about Chip is that he has a good reason to tag along in the plot, mainly after we find out he's Light Gaia and it's his duty to seal his dark counterpart. He's got a lot of quirks to his character and is always doing something in the background, making him the most expressive character in the game. Chip really made himself useful at the end in assisting Sonic against Dark Gaia, plus he saves Sonic's life at the end and has to seal himself in the planet for another million years, making me feel really sad about his loss. 

I understand why people don't like Chip, as he tends to go over the top in several areas, but he's just a character that appeals to me. I know a lot of Tails fans don't like him, but I find their reasoning a bit absurd. If Chip was cut out of the game and Tails were given a bigger role, the plot of Unleashed would have been almost entirely different, as Chip is one of the driving forces to it. There's a reason he's getting forgotten, as we're probably never going to see him again, but his character arc and friendship with Sonic came to a nice little close at the end of Unleashed. 

• Thumbs Up 8

I understand why people don't like Chip, as he tends to go over the top in several areas, but he's just a character that appeals to me. I know a lot of Tails fans don't like him, but I find their reasoning a bit absurd. If Chip was cut out of the game and Tails were given a bigger role, the plot of Unleashed would have been almost entirely different, as Chip is one of the driving forces to it. There's a reason he's getting forgotten, as we're probably never going to see him again, but his character arc and friendship with Sonic came to a nice little close at the end of Unleashed. 

This isn't directed at you specifically, but I just want to point out that not all Tails fans are the same about that. My own dislike of Chip has nothing to do with anything relating to me being a Tails fanboy, let alone the latter's role in the game. I just don't like Chip in general, that's all.

I'm saying this because there have been many instances of people automatically assuming that this must be the reason for why I don't like Chip, and, well, suffice to say, it's gotten rather annoying. So I'm a little antsy about that sort of thing, admittedly.

How could I forget Shahra?

168px-Shahra.png

Along with Caliburn, Shahra is one of those characters who contrasts excellently with Sonic. I've always believed that one of the many strengths of the Storybook series' writing is the manner in which character relationships are written because not only are they interesting but they bring-about believable influences on the story of the game.

Shahra is the straightwoman to Sonic's easy-going and light hearted nature. She's a really cool foil to the Hedgehog's whimsy in that she's the one who gets Sonic to focus on the scenario at hand. I also found that she was really sympathetic as well. It's fairly obvious that she's been starved of love and respect for a long time which is likely why she was so weak to Erazor's manipulations of her and so motivated to stick-up for Sonic when he was about to land the killing blow on him  obviously because Sonic treated her with genuine warmth, kindness and respect despite being in a position of authority...which he never ever misuses.

Seriously. Shahra rocks.

Certain fans love to say that characters like Shahra should drop dead because Sonic isn't entitled to have friends and characters to associate with outside of established characters. I say that's narrow-minded and affords far too much gravity to established characters than what they truly deserve. One game characters like her, Chip, Caliburn and Merlina are not going to shunt your beloved mainstay character out of the limelight, they are characters who fully suit the scenarios they're written into and are completely inoffensive, even more so because they only stick around for one game or who factor into non-main series games.

• Thumbs Up 8

Come at me.

Marine doesn't deserve half of the hate she receives. She's a hyperactive and quite scatterbrained character, and that's her charm to me. I was also a fan of how she did mature slowly toward the end of Rush Adventure; and even Blaze grew to be her friend despite disliking her at first. 

My personal view on her? She's a child. She can be crazy and sometimes clueless of what's going on around her. But it's honestly unique and to me, was written well. Many people call her an "annoying twerp", but you know something? That's what she's supposed to be. It's up to you whether you like her or not, but she's supposed to be like that-- a kid that Sonic and co. need to keep their eye on in case she gets in danger's way. 

And honestly, I'd like to see her return to the series, preferably with a voice actor too. Yeah, I said it.

Seconding this sentiment.

While Marine didn't have the relevance or consistent presence to become a common target like Shadow or Silver, Marine did get a fair amount of "yet another shitty friend" abuse when SRA was recent. And while I totally get the "new friend" fatigue and the frustration with poorly written characters that underlaid those complaints, I think a lot of people really didn't give Marine a chance.

For one thing, Marine didn't end up dominating the game like a lot of other new characters did in their first appearance. She's a big part of it, no doubt, but she doesn't have powers rivaling Sonic's, she isn't secretly a god, she doesn't have a god sealed in her, she's not royalty, she's not the last member of a lost civilization, she's not secretly the true villain. She is, with one minor exception, basically just an ordinary kid. And if the series is going to introduce new characters, that's the kind we need more of, to counterbalance all the superhuman protagonists forcing their stories to the forefront like bad self-insert fanfiction. Sonic's a traveler, he's going to go around meeting new people and helping them out, and not everyone is going to be a big fuckin' deal, some of them are just going to be regular people.

And like Spindash said, while she's an annoying character, she's annoying by design, not simply by poor writing. She's got more spunk than sense because that's the flaw she has to overcome. We can sympathize with Sonic and co when she ends up causing trouble, but we can also recognize that she's just a kid, she just needs some guidance and a better understanding of her limits. And while, obviously, not everyone is going to like her, I think if you can push past the initial reactions, she's a pretty endearing character with a solid arc.

I will say, though, that if she ever does come back, and especially if she's voiced...they ought to tone down the Australianisms.

• Thumbs Up 9

On another tangent, unjustified Chip hate gets my goat too. Especially the delusion that he 'stole' Tails' role.

I can actually understand why people think Gaia stole Tails' role. In fact, I used to think so as well. When I first saw Gaia, I was sure he was going to be a recurring character (since oneshot characters were still relatively uncommon). The way he followed Sonic everywhere, coupled with the fact that he was another fox, made me worried that he was going to replace my favorite character. Thankfully my fears were lessened when Tails finally showed up at the end of Apotos (although I still think he could have done more), and were put to rest at the end of the game.

As for the characters I feel don't get enough love, I'd have to say Fang and Mighty. Fang because so many people assume he's Neutral Evil (even though the games clearly portray him as Chaotic Neutral), and Mighty because despite being a Sonic clone, his personality is entirely different from Sonic's, being laid back where Sonic is hotheaded. And of course, Sega doesn't seem to care about either of these guys anymore...

This isn't directed at you specifically, but I just want to point out that not all Tails fans are the same about that. My own dislike of Chip has nothing to do with anything relating to me being a Tails fanboy, let alone the latter's role in the game. I just don't like Chip in general, that's all.

I'm saying this because there have been many instances of people automatically assuming that this must be the reason for why I don't like Chip, and, well, suffice to say, it's gotten rather annoying. So I'm a little antsy about that sort of thing, admittedly.

Well, it really doesn't help when the most common complaint against Chip is because of him "stealing Tails' role". You hardly hear anything other than that; it's like people don't know how to connect the dots when comparing characters and look for the most shallow things to criticize. People disliking Chip for reasons other than involving Tails are drowned out by those that are the opposite.

Speaking of Chip, while I actually like the character, he's an example of why I can't stand the idea of one-shots in this series anymore. They're hardly made memorable to a lasting degree, where I can play a game several titles down the line and still be reminded of them. Instead, they're walled into one title and made irrelevant from then on. I'd like one-shots to be more memorable, or do away with the idea of one-shots entirely.

I actually like Marine. Or maybe I just like how other characters react and interact with her; it just seems hilarious.

In terms of "forgotten" characters, good ol Mighty.

Gonna voice my opinion on Marine here too. I like her. She's got an interesting design, good development and is essentialy Tails' Sol Dimension counterpart. I would like to see her again as Blaze's sidekick since Cream is pretty much otherwise associated with Amy (and also because hey I don't have to hear her speak again whenever Blaze shows up), but I doubt she's coming back for a long time - partly because there isn't much she can do that other characters can't already do (and better) and partly because of all of Earth except for 10 people (including myself) hate her guts.

I find Silver to be someone that has a love/hate relationship with the fanbase. You love him or you hate him. I believed that he was one of of the most hated characters in the Sonic franchise but I still do. While I tend to agree with most criticisms made against this character, even giving some myself... he's actually one of my all time favorite Sonic characters.

Reason being is that he's different than most of the characters around his age. Silver just wants to save the world and wants to be proud of himself, since he doesn't think highly of himself. I think that he's a kid who was forced to grow up in a hostile world. He knows that his world needs a hero and he tries his best... but he's too mentally immature to be a seasoned hero. He doesn't really know what the hell he's doing. But because this place needed a savior and he wants to be a hero, he will take anyone's word for it. I think that he's stupid not because of bad writing but because he was meant to be that way, however, it has been done wrong. Silver has a very comic book view on what heroes are and what they are about. He thinks that heroes have to have a certain attitude and everything. That's why he was such a jerk in Sonic Rivals and somewhat in Sonic 06.

He comes off as being aloof and has toyed with Sonic like he was his plaything. But to me, it comes to me as if he has no idea what is right and what is wrong. He had no friends and no one to help him. The cool thing was that Silver would cling on to strong characters like Blaze and Amy in need of a mother or sister-figure. And then in Rivals he became Silver the Jerkass. Silver did call Tails "short stuff" and took all his rings (it was in a cut scene). He doesn't really want to be a jerk... he just doesn't know proper hero etiquette.

All and all, this character gets alot of justified hate and some unjusitfied but all and all, he will always have a place in my heart. But Archie!Silver can go die in a fire.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know if you stare at orange a long time and look away you see blue.
And if you stare at blue a long time and look away you see orange.

Any way I think Tails gets under appreciated  and treated  badly by fans a lot.

Not saying any one here but I have found to much of  Tails dieing, and Sonic being

mean to Tails and other stuff on the internet.  

what abot him?

242px-Shadowth_blackdoom.png
Black Doom- Black Doom is a genericy villian from Shadow the Hedgehog. The funny thing about him is that he is such a bad villian that he is good. He is funny sometimes even his name sounds funny. I think he is parody of all genericy villians to be honest and he does a good job. When you play as the evil missions there are some times where you have to kill his solders and Black Doom will go on about how you are a trater. Even the first mission, he wants you to get the chaos emerald but once you get there he doesnt want you to get it. So he confuses me sometimes which makes him funny.

Black Doom is those villians who like to spin you in circles. You try to do what he says but he wants you to do something else or worse say you are faling the mission. He can also not have common sense as well. In one stage you get all the generators but you do get his men while trying to light them. The funniest part of all is when he follows you as a floating starfish with one eye in every single stage you do evil missions in. For story all we know is that hes telling Shadow to collect emeralds and then we find out hes using them to destroy fot the world and that Shadow was create with Black Doom.

So whys he on this list? Because hes so horrible hes awesome. I said before, I think hes a parody of bad villians everywhere and he does a good job. Also he has a scary design and its very neat to. Oh and Black Doom doesnt take the spotlight away from Eggman or betray him and it make me happy. Hes the main villian of Shadow the Hedgehog, so yes he needed more spotlight then the doc. But yeah, Doom rocks!

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm quite a fan of Shade - if my profile picture didn't give that away...and unlike most people I know I really liked Sonic Chronicles. I guess one of the reasons being when I was a kid, Knuckles was my favourite character and I always hoped for a female echidna character you could play as in the games. Her moves in the battle stages were awesome too - I often paired her with Sonic and Knuckles. I'm hoping she gets a bit more exposure in the future games...and I really wouldn't mind if they make Sonic Chronicles 2. 

• Thumbs Up 1

29fa79f.jpgManic.jpg

Say what you will, I've always liked Sonia and Manic. I can't count how many people I've heard talk shit on these two, and even Sonic Underground in general, but I think they were (pretty much) booted from the series way before they wore their welcome. SEGA barely even mentions that Sonic has a brother and sister, nowadays.

• Thumbs Up 1

SEGA barely even mentions that Sonic has a brother and sister, nowadays.

That's because, outside of Underground, he doesn't?

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm saying they should have kept them around. I mean, if he's just going to have siblings in one series, it doesn't really make sense to not, at least, include their existence in other series'. I thought they were good characters with okay potential.

I always thought Sonia and Manic were cool, but for Sonic Underground. How well would they actually fit into the canon Sonic Universe? It seems highly unlikely that they would even fit in at all. 

Anyway, does anyone else here remember Fang/Nack? He used to be one of my favourite characters when I was first getting into the series, and I was disappointed to see that he wasn't in very many games..

• Thumbs Up 1

12237269973_1c57194129_b.jpg

Fiona Fox wasn't really well written in my opinion and she could've been a really interesting antagonist or antihero in the comics. But instead she was turned to a pure evil, overused, and very unlikable character. Her whole existence seemed like wasted potential. The backstabbing, backslapping, traitor nonsense went on for way too long and turned her character into a one note villain.

Fiona always seemed to be a character that could be a lot of fun, I would love to see her her interact with other heroes if she was tweaked a little differently. If the writer(s) played her off as someone who isn't necessarily evil but only looking out for herself (because she's inherently selfish, or what have you) that would probably work best. Instead we got, "I like bad boys because of generic plot advancing reasons".

Antoine_3D.png

I'll be the first to admit that I have a real soft spot for this guy. He came a long way from scared stereotype French character to well rounded scared stereotype French Character. Antoine just seems like a fun character to write, from his mannerisms to his quirks. He's not the bravest or even the strongest character in the group but he gives it all that he's got.
  • Thumbs Up 2

I have a few unappreciated characters that I like!

Marine the Racoon

She is so adorable!I can't even tell you how much I like this character. She is high spirited and excited! She is really the other dimension's counterpart to Tails, except she builds ships instead of planes. She is cute how she talks , and I think she can be a cool character to keep in the series . She needs a sweet Australian accented voice! I want to hear her voice :).

Rouge the Bat

Always been my fave. Many people can't see past her um... ya know. In reality though, she is a smart and cunning girl. She is strong, but not so tough that she is masculine.  She has a sweet personality that can be a bit flirty at times. My favorite thing about her is that , even though she puts off a selfish vibe, she is a actually a nice character. I mean, as soon as she saw how much he Master Emerald meant to Knuckles, she left it alone. Sure, she kids about how she is going to take it from him, but never acts on it.  While I know many people don't count Sonic battle and Sonic 06 as cannon ( I like the former much better than the later by the way), I think they both carried Rouges' best personality. In battle, Rouge rescued Shadow, she gave Tails the help he needed, and she was able to help Knuckles as well. She always acted like she wasn't doing anything, but she did.  In 06, she stood by Shadows side the whole way, showing nothing but care and concern for shadow. I especially like that she told him she would ever leave him, no matter what. She also did that in Shadow the Hedgehog by offering him a place to stay until he recuperated from all the horrific events of the game. So in reality, she is a caring and loving person. I want to see more of her in the games, especially if she can spend more time with Knuckles :).

• Thumbs Up 1

Rouge is a GREAT character, but many people forget that simply because she has boobs. They call her a whore and make nasty jokes about her having STD's, which is absolutely disgusting. I agree with you, Rouge is a strong, caring character and is certainly underrated simply because of her design. I also hope we get to see more of her in the games.

• Thumbs Up 2