Awoo.

The UAFCAT! (Unliked & Forgotten character appreciation thread)

ZonicZoneCop

Shadow_rivals.png

Shadow is popular at first glance. However, the truth is... he's one that has a love/hate relationship with the fanbase. He can be the best character ever and at sometimes he can be the worse character ever. I feel sorry for Shads... I like him but it doesn't help him when the majority of his fanbase are fans who literally know next to none about the character and how he fits into the series.

Shadow is not really this indestructible god-like character. But he's the ultimate life form who was awakened for evil purposes, whilst he had his own mission to fulfill, avenging a close friend. He only fights Sonic because he was basically a roadblock in his mission. Until Amy can and talked sense into him, he decided to help save the world. Now to keep his friend's memory alive, he works for the GUN. So no, he's not going to show up just because and no he's not some god-like savior of the Earth that's more worthy of being a main character than Knuckles or Amy or even Tails. He's a side character unless the game calls for him to be brought to the forefront.

I like him because he's a truly heroic character who is motivated by his friend's wishes. He is very protective of the weak and he works well with cartoony and lighthearted female characters who have fight in them (Amy and Molly from Sonic X). He works well with Rouge as well.

So what's my point? I think fans should appreciate Shads for who he really is rather than what they wish for him to be.

29fa79f.jpgManic.jpg

Say what you will, I've always liked Sonia and Manic. I can't count how many people I've heard talk shit on these two, and even Sonic Underground in general, but I think they were (pretty much) booted from the series way before they wore their welcome. SEGA barely even mentions that Sonic has a brother and sister, nowadays.

Couldn't agree more, I love the siblings and Sonic Underground in general.

That said, I don't agree that they should be referenced/included outside the series. They're great characters but they're great characters for underground. They don't belong outside it in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree with everything you said about Fiona, Scarz. I don't like how Fiona was handled. I agree with you, my friend, she was wasted potential. I do feel that there was great potential to make her an interesting character, but all that potential was immediately squandered. She could have been a very sympathetic character from the moment she betrayed her old comrades. It would have been great if Fiona had conflicting loyalties after, perhaps even regret over, her betrayal. She didn't have to be specifically a hero or a villain. I always wanted her to be torn between the Freedom Fighters and the Destructix, as if she didn't fully belong to either party for whatever reason. Fiona could have occupied, for some time, an intriguing grey space in between the two. In my opinion, that would have made her a very unpredictable catalyst for a potential story arc. She had all the necessary ingredients to be an interesting character, but all of her potential was wasted. It baffles me as to how you can squander such a safe bet. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Ian probably just wanted to cut out the relationship bullshit attached to her at the time. Not that I wasn't taken aback by it either.

• 2 weeks later...

Silver all the way, just because he is from 06 does not mean he should be hated for it. Elise is an exception though...... Just no.

Sadly Sega seems to be writing him out of the franchise slowly but surely. He only became playable in 3 main series games (counting the Rivals series on the PSP) He was playable in a couple of spinoffs and mobile games but other than that his significance has been downgraded throughout the years. And of course he has a decently large fanbase as well. It's a shame, if 06 was successful he could be just as popular as Shadow, being a part of the hedgehog trio. (Strange because it seems like Sega is giving Shadow less significance since 06 as well.)

Since the status updates mentioned them, and I feel I've not posted positively about the series in awhile, I want to talk about the Babylon Rogues because I still love these fuckers.

I really like how they come across as real siblings. They're barely a well-oiled machine; all of them greatly annoy each other, and they're prone to petty squabbling or just tuning each other out. This kind juvenile silliness is personally relatable because it's the kind of behavior I engage in with my brother and my best friend even in our 20s. There isn't a dichotomy in our relationship between perfect BFFs or near ruination due to an argument like with Sonic and Tails. We have a healthy amount of nonsense arguing on a consistent basis, but it means very little for the ultimate bonds we've established. It's just simply how we express our love for each other. I feel the same is for the Rogues because it's clear they still care for one another in the grand scheme: Storm wishes to overcome his clumsiness for Jet because he looks up to him as the "boss," Wave insists on steering Jet towards the right path in terms of his responsibilities, and despite their screw-ups Jet still places faith in partners' expertise to support the team as a whole, and I'd also surmise his inability to take a loss partly stems from what he feels his own responsibilities as leader may entail. Deep down in the pile of ragged feathers is a ragtag team that cares for one another despite first impressions, and I find something to empathize with in this. It also doesn't hurt they were fully at home doing slapstick and comedy before Chip or translators ever came along.

• Thumbs Up 4

You know what character some people tend to forget and is a great character.

Char_emerl_big.png

Emerl. Yeah that ol' Gizoid from Sonic Battle. I mean this character was pretty well written for a one-off, but what made him great was the progression throughout the story. When I was playing through the Story Mode, Emerl started to develop emotions and when I watch the cutscenes, I have a good laugh, like Emerl backtalking Knuckles near the of end his story and there was some nice emotional moments like in Shadow's story. But the reason why this character deserves a shout-out is in the ending. After taking in all 7 Emeralds and became normal due to the reboot code, programmed into Emerl by Gerald, Emrl was normal and all seemed well until Eggman developed a cannon, similar to the Ecilipse Cannon from SA2. Sonic, Tails and Emerl visit Knuckles to see what's going on, Tails decided that that with a teleporter, someone can go to the cannon and stop Eggman. Emerl decided to go and after a few warnings, he went to fight Eggman for the last time and beated the yolk out of him. But all of a sudden, Eggman launched the cannon, which caused Emerl to reprogram into his original intentions made by his creators. Sonic finally came into the the cannon and saw there is a countdown to the cannon being fired to the planet. Not even the Master Emerald, which came out of nowhere, could stop Emerl and it broke into pieces with only less than a minute, Tails said to Sonic that he has no choice but to stop Emerl himself.

Now let's stop at this moment, after all that time of customizing Emerl with all those skill cards and see how much he has grown up, you and Sonic have to destroy the thing that you have made. This has to be one of the most tension-filled moments in Sonic history. And what does Sonic say after hearing this...?

"...Emerl...Always causing trouble... Even in the end..."

You can just feel how conflicted Sonic is at this situation, but does it anyway and stopped Emerl. But sadly, Emerl died. Sonic had to kill Emerl, one of the closest friends he had, for the fate of the planet. Just the thought sounds so sad and tragic and when Sonic tries to make it sound like everything's going to be alright and Emerl saying his final goodbyes, I can just see Sonic feeling really upset and probably shedding a few tears. And at the end, Tails say that when will they see Emerl again when the world is a better place, Sonic says they will with the most amount of confidence. The ending of Sonic Battle is has so much on the line and that game and this character must be remembered by all. That is all I have to say.

29fa79f.jpgManic.jpg

Say what you will, I've always liked Sonia and Manic. I can't count how many people I've heard talk shit on these two, and even Sonic Underground in general, but I think they were (pretty much) booted from the series way before they wore their welcome. SEGA barely even mentions that Sonic has a brother and sister, nowadays.

I agree with you there. The characters seemed likable enough. I would like to see them agian in some other form of media.