Awoo.

Sonics future

Rey Skywalker-Ren

Back before Mario had his large catalogue of games he had characterization but as time went on he began to become flatter and flatter as the games he was appearing in became more and more vast... his original back story was dropped and his personality along with it, to the point that he has become a shell.

I guess it comes down to how you view Sonic's character, I never saw Sonic as a brawler or someone who would simply use strength to win a fight. So during the ware-hog gameplay I never could see him as kind of person who would be ok with having his speed taken from him and being forced to use his head a solve puzzles.

Its small things like his howling at the start of a stage or during boss fights just felt out of character to me. I always saw him as someone who would avoid a direct hand to hand fight choosing to use his speed and wits to outsmart his opponents further more I feel he would handle himself with more grace than someone who yells when he is ready to fight.

Serious question: what was Mario's personality other than "He's loyal, goodhearted, steadfast, and optimistic"?

And Sonic has also been in physical fights before, mainly with Knuckles. He didn't particularly outwit him so much as used the forces behind his speed and jumping abilities to his advantage to inflict damage, and I don't know how one would consider that not using his actual physical strength to win a fight. Thus, the Werehog would not necessarily be out of character on this basis, nor does it make much sense to compare a forced physical change on a character (one he didn't like all that much) as that character willingly going against their own personality. Sonic acting exactly the same after being turned into a monster that strips away his most notable talent would be missing the point of both the change in the context of the game and the whole entire Werewolf trope in general.

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess in regards to Mario a lot of his characteristics were depicted in external media like the cartoons and comics where he was shown to have flaws weather that was his obsession with food, sometimes selfish and thoughtless acts towards Luigi and other characters or his moments of cowardliness.

As for games he trapped Donkey Kong after defeating him and then tried to stop his son from rescuing him along with that he is shown to be clumsy (and scared of his boss) in games like Mario Cement Factory... From all this I got the impression that he was a working man, he like to use his hands dirty and get stuck into hard days work weather that was plumbing, carpentering or building destruction... I guess i'm only looking at the little things though so I might be simply over thinking things XD

I guess at the end of the day, having another character like Knuckles fill the role of the ware-hog would have just sat with me better, similarly I though having Tails in the 'flying' stages in Sonic Lost World would have made more sense than Sonic skydiving sideways... I guess its like when people ask “why is Sonic in a car”... I ask “Why is Sonic performing a switch puzzle” or “Why is he punching a giant bird”

I guess at the end of the day, having another character like Knuckles fill the role of the ware-hog would have just sat with me better, similarly I though having Tails in the 'flying' stages in Sonic Lost World would have made more sense than Sonic skydiving sideways... I guess its like when people ask “why is Sonic in a car”... I ask “Why is Sonic performing a switch puzzle” or “Why is he punching a giant bird”

Why is Tails confined to a mech in SA2?

Why does Knuckles treasure hunt?

Why are the Babylon Rogues exclusive to the Riders series?

Why are Wisps shunting characters sideways in terms of utility and being shoehorned into games without much thought delegated to their inclusion?

I could keep asking questions like these until the cows come home but it all stems from design choices Sonic Team made. Werehog in not as bad an offender as the last one in particular because the game's narrative and premise gave due prominence to it and you can't replace him with Knuckles and expect the game as it has been designed on multiple tangents to automatically improve. It doesn't work like that.

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess at the end of the day, having another character like Knuckles fill the role of the ware-hog would have just sat with me better,

And you would still have the same crappy level design,. crappy fight mechanics, enemy counterattacks being cheap and monotonous as hell with annoyingly long health bars, and a slew of new problems such as imbalanced level design if you were to use any of Knuckles natural abilities.

It really annoys me that people think swapping out the Werehog with Knuckles would actually make anything better without considering all the other stuff associated with the rest of it's gameplay in the first place that wouldn't really make a slew of a difference from the swap.

• Thumbs Up 4

It really annoys me that people think swapping out the Werehog with Knuckles would actually make anything better without considering all the other stuff associated with the rest of it's gameplay in the first place that wouldn't really make a slew of a difference from the swap.

It probably would have accentuated the "shitty friends" meme even further as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

It probably would have accentuated the "shitty friends" meme even further as well.

As if Knuckles needs any more shit piled on him right now considering how jacked up he's been utilized.

• Thumbs Up 3

Whats wrong with Sonic not wanting Amy to kiss him of suffcate him to death?

Because then Sonic would be dead, the series would end, and Sega would go bankrupt! :P

i think im just scared that when they bring back new players I wont get to notice Sonic anymore. because when I play I feel like i am playing for what i wanted to play for. I dont wanna be forced to play as Sonics friends so that i can get a true story. yes, Sonic should be the only one fighting the true boss because hes the only one who can. no one else can ever do it like Sonic. but i dont wanna treasure hunt just so i can beat the final boss.

yes, Sonic should be the only one fighting the true boss because hes the only one who can. no one else can ever do it like Sonic. but i dont wanna treasure hunt just so i can beat the final boss.

I would like you to go into a bit more detail into this last little thing you said. What exactly dictates Sonic being the only possible person who can beat the final boss? That's honestly a bit unfair to other characters IMO. I understand Sonic is the title character, but come on, Sonic and Shadow have defeated the Biolizard together, Tails and Knuckles assisted him against Metal Sonic's Overlord form, Shadow defeated Black Doom all by his entire self, and it took Sonic, Shadow, and Silver to defeat Solaris. I understand that you simply prefer Sonic tackles the final boss, and I agree to a degree, but disregarding the fact that other characters can't beat a final boss just cause makes me scratch my head a little.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic's future seems to be uncertain at the moment.  I know we got the tv show coming out in the fall and Sonic is gonna be in the next Smash Bros. (fan demand can be pretty powerful) but other than that we don't know too much.

Don't have any idea if Sega/Sonic Team is going to stay with playstyle that was in Lost World or not (probably not considering the game's rather mixed reception.  And what's exactly is this third Nintendo-exclusive gonna be like anyway? Is it Sonic's next big title? Is it a spin-off? If it's spin-off, will it star Sonic or another character? Is it Episode 3? Is it sequel to another nintendo handheld? Is it even a platformer? Give us a clue Sega!  Even just a little teaser would be enough. As a fan, I'd like to know what to look for in 2014.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would like you to go into a bit more detail into this last little thing you said. What exactly dictates Sonic being the only possible person who can beat the final boss? That's honestly a bit unfair to other characters IMO. I understand Sonic is the title character, but come on, Sonic and Shadow have defeated the Biolizard together, Tails and Knuckles assisted him against Metal Sonic's Overlord form, Shadow defeated Black Doom all by his entire self, and it took Sonic, Shadow, and Silver to defeat Solaris. I understand that you simply prefer Sonic tackles the final boss, and I agree to a degree, but disregarding the fact that other characters can't beat a final boss just cause makes me scratch my head a little.

i think because Sonic has the power, the courage and bravery to defeat monsters in a game called Sonic. Shadows game, I can understand and Shadow should be the only one to defead Black Doom in that game. maybe I didnt say it right, It was good other characters helped I think that Sonic should more of the beating part

i think because Sonic has the power, the courage and bravery to defeat monsters in a game called Sonic. Shadows game, I can understand and Shadow should be the only one to defead Black Doom in that game. maybe I didnt say it right, It was good other characters helped I think that Sonic should more of the beating part

OK, I got ya now. I understand why you would feel Sonic should get the main spot light in completing a final boss, as it's his own series and he's the title character. I just don't think we have to be dismissive over who can defeat a final boss. Other characters like Tails, Knuckles, and Shadow all have the courage and bravery to go head to head with a final boss in spite of their flaws, not to mention they all have a super form XD.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

yes they do and i dont deny. to me, they arent heroic enough like Sonic to deal with final bosses.

i think because Sonic has the power, the courage and bravery to defeat monsters in a game called Sonic. 

Yes, of course a polite rabbit that can control chao to do her bidding or an echidna that can break walls using a fox isn't powerful enough to help Sonic beat the boss.

you dont have to be rude

Who said anything about being rude? I was just proving that Sonic's friends have the potential to fight alongside Sonic as well.

I never say they dont. I just think that they are not heroic like Sonic to beat a god monster unless it is their own game like Shadow

I never say they dont. I just think that they are not heroic like Sonic to beat a god monster unless it is their own game like Shadow

While I understand your wish to have Sonic be the main protagonist in his own game series, I don't quite understand why you think characters having their own games should change their personality or ability.

While I understand your wish to have Sonic be the main protagonist in his own game series, I don't quite understand why you think characters having their own games should change their personality or ability.

Huh? I was talking about the final true bosses. If a character has their own game they should be the one to defeat the final boss, no one else or at lease be the one to deliver final punch or do the more heroic stuff.

Huh? I was talking about the final true bosses. If a character has their own game they should be the one to defeat the final boss, no one else or at lease be the one to deliver final punch or do the more heroic stuff.

Yeah ok, Think I just misunderstood your post :)

May I remind you that Tails once saved Station Square from a nuke, Amy helped get Sonic out of Prison Island before it exploded, and Knuckles saved Angel island by defeating the Egg Robo.

• Thumbs Up 2

I agree. I think it's fine to give Sonic the ability to face down the final boss. I mean, the franchise bears his name, so it makes sense to give him that power. However, I like it when Sonic must team up with either friend or foe to defeat a common enemy. For one, I think it can ground his personality and simultaneously tell a better a story by giving his friends more than just complementary roles. I want everyone else to have the ability to help save the day. I just don't think it's fair to the rest of them for Sega to make Sonic the only capable person who has any chance whatsoever of defeating such a threat. I like to think that everyone involved should be able to help change the outcome in regards to their presence. In other words, I don't think it's fair to treat Sonic's friends and foes like dead weight who only serve to cheer the blue hedgehog to victory. You can accomplish a lot just by giving them an active role.

• Thumbs Up 2

they can help defeat the enimes in the games like when you go to pergress. but not the final boss monster in true story like al-layla-wa-layla or dark queen of that sort.

i liked how they helped Sonic with Metal Sonic in Sonic Heroes. I dont know I think that because hes main character and the most herotic, he has the power.