Awoo.

Sonics future

Rey Skywalker-Ren

I do think Sonic is amazing. Everyone else thinks their favorite characters are amazing then the two moderators say Sonic is amazing and list, then everyone likes their post and its OK but when I say Sonic is amazing and say I dislike him being a Peach, they say Im putting on a pedestul.

Or I say Sonic is the most heroic and someone says Im wrong and says Amy is more heroic than Sonic will ever be and everyone agrees. Its not fair everyone else is allowed to think their favorite character is amazing and awesome and even Shadow fans are allowed but I cant say Sonic is amazing without people thinking I see him as jesus

everyone, i want to say Im sorry. Im sorry if it seems to you that I like Sonic too much. all I wanted to do was talk about him and say how wonderful and amazing he was. I still thinks he the most amazing character in Sonic and theres no one that compares in the series but I makes people angry when I say that. i dont know how the forums work so I dont understand

but Im sorry and if you hate me I understand.

everyone, i want to say Im sorry. Im sorry if it seems to you that I like Sonic too much. all I wanted to do was talk about him and say how wonderful and amazing he was. I still thinks he the most amazing character in Sonic and theres no one that compares in the series but I makes people angry when I say that. i dont know how the forums work so I dont understand

Hey, now, you don't need to apologize for finding Sonic your favorite character -- there's nothing wrong with that, in itself. Heck, Sonic is one of my favorite characters, period. smile.png

What my fellow users are trying to say is that there is also nothing wrong with having him showing some weaknesses at times.as well as interacting with his supporting cast in a more substantial manner. There is a middle ground between having the main character(s) do everything and having them be completely worthless to the narrative, after all. Trust me, as a character in his narrative, Sonic is in an alright position -- the late Adventure era, where he was essentially upstaged by everyone, is long over now. It's the supporting cast's future that is currently uncertain, and that's not really all that cool, either.

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, first off, I have to tell you that we have a rule against double posting here. That means that you can't make a post right after you make a post. If anything, edit your previous post and add what you want to say to it, thanks. 

Second of all, you don't need to apologize. There is nothing wrong with liking Sonic too much and I commend you for your passion and admiration that you have for him as a character. Sure he is wonderful and amazing, but that does not mean that he is without flaws. I love Sonic as much as anyone, if not more, but that doesn't negate the fact he isn't perfect. I think I definitely mentioned this in among other things. I believe that is the point that everyone is trying to bring across to you, and nothing else. Just because others disagree with you does not mean that they dislike or hate you even.

That said, please don't worry about it, Sonikku-Chan. You have nothing to be sorry about but we would like you to understand where we are coming from if nothing else. No one hates or dislikes you because you have a different opinion. No one is mad at you, including me. So let's move on and continue talking about Sonic's future, please. smile.png

• Thumbs Up 8

I want to say that the reason I perfer Sonic only is because I get to see how amazing he is. I knew in my heart he was amazing but he was upstage by his better friends with HIS personality traits. I dont hate Sonics friends. I really love Tails, Silver, Caliburn and Knuckles more than everyone else in the cast. Theyre also amazing characters to but not amazing like Sonic. But this thread is about Sonic.

Sonic is amazing young man with courge and a heart. Also the great thing about Sonic only gameplay is that we get to see him use weapons. The only time Sonic use a weapon with playable friends with Sonic Advance 3, which his version of the PIKO was amazing. Sonic is the only other who looks threaning with a PIKO and he can use it with amazing skills. In Sonic in the Black Knight, he had Caliburn (who I love him to) and they work good together. Not only that but Sonic has amazing sword skills and gained its respect. Sonic can turn Caliburn from a no-nonesense talking sword to a threaning weapon all fears. Same with PIKO.

Also he has wisps. But the different is that Sonic gained their respect because they knew he was a awesome hero and he can help them. He used these cute little aliens in a amazing way, He can hover, drill, rocket and he can boost. My opinion is that things like the PIKO, Caliburn and wisps all are regular gimmiks but when used by a young man with pure heart and courage and can put that all in the weapon itselves, they become dangrous weapons you should fear! like a kusarigama.

kusarigama.jpg

kusarigama(くさりがま) looks like dangrous samurai weapon but put in hands of skillful person who puts their alls in to it becomes a weapon you should bow down to. Thats how I see Caliburn and all them when put into Sonics hands. a kusarigama in Sonics hands will REALLY be a death weapon you need to fear! More dangorus than Espio using it!

But enough. Not only is Sonic skilled with weapons his moves has gone from running and jumping to many possiblities. He can mach run, wall jump, boost and he can run on walls! (a skill that puts Espio in shame but at same time makes him and Ryo smile) Running on that walls makes Sonic a very vertsile character and has a whole range of attacks they can do in the future. Like make it like Knuckles climbing but Sonic can run up a wall and jump off another. He can also use to attack robots in close range to.  Its good for him to reach the high places while exploring. And its FUN and i can see this hapenning.

Sonic is also the most heroic character in the series because he risks all to help those in need. Silver is also heroic character and even though I dont like her Amy is another. But I never see Tails, Silver, Knuckles or Amy risk their lives for anything we know they are going to win. Heck....NO ONE does it! The only character who comes CLOSE to be heroic like Sonic is someone I dont like... Shadow. Shadow died to save the world and he was much more heroic in Sonic X because he died twice saving the world. Shadow will be the second most heroic and then Silver comes after him. But Sonic always puts his life on the line. Sonic loves being Sonic and being free but he risks losing that everytime he steps into the battlefeild. Sonic had almost died many time in Sonic X and he got killed in Sonic 2006 but he still kept going to his friends. Sonic has gotten his powers drained and got a flame in him that will KILL him like a bomb if is doesnt do what it takes. And he still keeps saving the day!  No one else has taken that risk except Shadow who died! So why are people angry when I say Sonic is more heroic..?? I think he clearly is.

To me no one will ever come close to Sonic. No one compares to how amazing he is. Hes more than a cocky character. Theres more to him. Sonic has the biggest heart in the franchise. Hes the most caring and the most skillful. And he had to earn his respect and his skills. Yet hes one of the most unloved, unappreciated characters in the series and I will always stick up for him.

I am afraid for the FUTURE because if they bring playable friends, Sonic will no longer so the amazing things he do in other games, gameplay. He will once again be seen as "dull gameplay" when everyne one else plays the SAME except they can fly and climb and swing a hammer. D:

Right, that's it.

I want to say that the reason I perfer Sonic only is because I get to see how amazing he is. I knew in my heart he was amazing but he was upstage by his better friends with HIS personality traits. I dont hate Sonics friends. 

Oh yes you do.

Sonic is the only other who looks threaning with a PIKO and he can use it with amazing skills. 

Amy's been using hers for longer, you're acting like Sonic's been using this thing for life. Hell, even Tails got a hammer before Sonic did-- Tails' Adventure.

kusarigama(くさりがま) looks like dangrous samurai weapon but put in hands of skillful person who puts their alls in to it becomes a weapon you should bow down to. Thats how I see Caliburn and all them when put into Sonics hands. a kusarigama in Sonics hands will REALLY be a death weapon you need to fear! More dangorus than Espio using it!

Sonic using a weapon being more dangerous than an ACTUALLY FULLY TRAINED NINJA!? ARE YOU KIDDING ME!? This is bullcrap. Yes, Sonic has strengths, I'm not saying he's the weakest out of the whole cast-- but this is BLATANT pedestalling. 

But I never see Tails, Silver, Knuckles or Amy risk their lives for anything we know they are going to win.

The time when Tails foiled Eggman's plan to destroy Station Square all by himself, without Sonic's help?

The time when Knuckles tried to take the Master Emerald away from Eggman, just to get shocked by his weapons?

Amy sneaking through the heavily guarded Prison Island to rescue Sonic from jail because like it or not he WAS arrested?

Shadow using all the power he can to defeat Black Doom and foil the Black Arms' plan to destroy the entire Earth?

Blaze travelling to Sonic's dimension and forcing herself to pull through every last obstacle to recover the Sol Emeralds and save her dimension?

These are all life-riskers, on the same level as Sonic's have been. I'm sorry, but you are undermining other characters to put Sonic on a pedestal. I'm a massive fan of Amy, yet note I've still acknowledged all these other events.

To me no one will ever come close to Sonic. No one compares to how amazing he is. Hes more than a cocky character. Theres more to him. Sonic has the biggest heart in the franchise. Hes the most caring and the most skillful. And he had to earn his respect and his skills. Yet hes one of the most unloved, unappreciated characters in the series and I will always stick up for him.

I am afraid for the FUTURE because if they bring playable friends, Sonic will no longer so the amazing things he do in other games, gameplay. He will once again be seen as "dull gameplay" when everyne one else plays the SAME except they can fly and climb and swing a hammer. D:

Everyone loves Sonic's gameplay in Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 and most consider it the only good part to come out of those games-- I do not understand where all this worrying is coming from. The Sonic Advance series? Okay, 1 and 2, you have a point, but Advance 3, like you keep saying, he has weapons given to him to make him stronger.

Sonic has never been treated like a sack of poop aside from in Shadow and 06. Those two games aside, he's always been the main character who saves the day every single time, sometimes with help (which is NOT wrong. Everyone needs help at times. Sonic has his flaws, and so does everyone else.)

And he won't be seen as dull gameplay. Parkour, wall jump, boost, hello? Sonic has this colossal arsenal of moves compared to the Dreamcast era days-- he's not just the bread and butter anymore. He's a fleshed out and strong character and if other characters were added to the modern games, I can see him still being on the same level of ability as them.

• Thumbs Up 7

Your right maybe i should not be afraid. I have no reason he gets better everygame. I do get upset about Sonic, and you may think I am a weirdo, but is because he was a character that inspired me when I was young and played Sonic 2006 as my first game. I was 12 and I was in America for only 2 years and didnt understand. I really wanted to be like him because I was insecure and sometimes i was selfish and I feel horrible but Sonic is young and selfish with his freedom but he can also have the biggest heart because he will always put his self below anyone else. when he fights he doesnt care about himself. He doesnt care if he dies. He ignores concerns he will die, he does that he does because thats how much he cares and he inspires me to be better than who I was and am today. Also I have learned English from other games but Sonic was one I liked to learn from.

And to me, to see a character that inspired me to be try to be better and not take people granted and not be all about me me me be treated horrible or not get the respect he deserves makes me angry like this:

m85EqRR.png

and sometimes i cry. because even though I have friends in my country like that like Sonic. when i got there some kids make fun of me because I like him. i defend him because i dont want to be teased by people or hated. hes a big part of my life and it hurts. Im sorry

It's alright to be passionate about the character. Hell, so am I! But even as an ardent Sonic lover I have to admit that the series shouldn't completely revolve around him regarding absolutely everything.

It's entirely possible to expand on the series' aspects without disrespecting Sonic as a character. He's ultimately not impacted by other character's gaining some prominence in the future 'cos he's already awesome enough.

• Thumbs Up 6

It's alright to be passionate about the character. Hell, so am I! But even as an ardent Sonic lover I have to admit that the series shouldn't completely revolve around him regarding absolutely everything.

It's entirely possible to expand on the series' aspects without disrespecting Sonic as a character. He's ultimately not impacted by other character's gaining some prominence in the future 'cos he's already awesome enough.

i dont think the the universe should revovle around him but he is the main character so he deserves the majority of spotlight. i once made a chart thing sometime on sega forums but i will show it now:

TpEE8fv.jpg

its in japanese but its Sonic gets most of the spotlights and then Tails and Eggman get seconds and Knuckles get third. unless its a game ceterned around another character like Shadow or Tails games. so i dont want the world to revovle around him and i dont think it does now.

In my opinion, he is indeed a Mary-Sue. The biggest thing to me is that he never gets challenged as a character. His apparent flaws are never played upon. He sees everything as joke. In Sonic Colors, Generations and Lost World... he pretty much treats his threats (Eggman) like a school-yard bully would do a little kid. And worse of all, it's too predicable... Sonic doesn't see Eggman as a threat, he just sees him as fresh meat to pick on with his lame-ass jokes. We all know Sonic will always win... because the world works in his favor. The universe rotates in the other direction for this guy.

Sonic was portrayed wonderfully in the storybook series. Beside the fact that he was treading on Shadow territory in Sonic and the Black Knight, he actually got challenged as a character and struggled to win. Unleashed, he actually showed fear and care alot for Chip. I actually cheered for him. Now... I actually cheer for Eggman and the Zeti. Because, Sonic is so much of a goody-two-shoes, that some people, me included, feel sorry for the egg-shaped villain.

Sonic nowadays is just an arrogant, goody-two-shoes jerk who doesn't take anything seriously and takes his friends for granted. He saves his friends in Generations as if he was going to the market to pick up snacks. It seemed more like a chore for him than something he naturally does. He's never afraid of anything anymore and his threats aren't threats.

This young man is like the Sally Acorn of the gameverse. He's a beautifully put together jigsaw puzzle done wrong. Lost World is getting better.

• Thumbs Up 3

Why the hell does everyone think Sonic is a mary sue? Do you even know what it is? Of course not www

Sonic is not perfect, hes just amazing and it angry that people call him a mary-sue. Nothing revoled around him, ever! >:(

Nothing revoled around him, ever! >sad.png

The story always starts with him. He is always the focal point. He's the focal point of marketing. He always does the most substantial things in the plot. He always saves the day. Hell, the games are named after him.

Sonic's is the focal point of the franchise. EVERYTHING revolves around him. Especially recently. The entire focus has been Sonic-only games to find the correct gameplay styles? The last game to have multiple playable characters was eight years ago. You can't be serious.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have to agree with Sonikku. A Mary Sue usually is a character who excels at a wide list of ridiculous talents, does not draw ire or discontent from the heroes, has romantic liasons with many characters, and has absolutely no flaws whatsoever. Self-insertion is not necessary but is implied. None of this really describes Sonic to such a degree that I'd call him one, and that assertion alone is enough for me to dismiss your entire analysis. Being lackadaisical doesn't mean he's a jerk either. Overall, this continuous ire for the main character of this entire franchise- especially for the elevation of the main villain- really is kind of an uncomfortably cynical thing anyway.

• Thumbs Up 7

I think we will get another bad game oriented on Nintendo fanboys. Another bad sales, another stupid plot like "SONIC IS COOL. HE IS RUNNING. HE KICKS EGGMAN'S ASS. HE USES WISPS. HE IS COOL. WOW. WOW."

Yuji Naka, where are you when you need?!

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd call Sonic a mary-sue if the term didn't lose all meaning from people throwing it around as "a character I don't like".

Nevermind the fact that much of Lost World's problems were predominantly his fault, which mary-sues are treated much more leniently by contrast. Or that his arrogance was actually called out in Colors that he didn't do everything, and they would have been running around trying to figure out what to do, and that even if that wasn't even the case he was still left almost entirely in the dark of what Eggman was planning, which mary-sues would have figured out at some point very quickly without any help.

A mary-sue is an impossibly perfect character. Sonic is certainly put on a pedestal, but even so he is not without his flaws.

• Thumbs Up 3

Funny thats its not just here, many people on the sega forums are saying it to and sometimes I think they say it because their favorite characters could never be as amazing. so they call him a mary-sue. i hate to say that but thats what I think.

Funny thats its not just here, many people on the sega forums are saying it to and sometimes I think they say it because their favorite characters could never be as amazing. so they call him a mary-sue. i hate to say that but thats what I think.

Well honestly that seems more like a case of the term "Mary-sue" being used as a substitute for "I hate this character" as opposed to the original definition of the word.

On the contrary, I actually would call Sonic a mary sue, specifically an escapist character. An escapist character is similar to a Mary Sue, but not so much wish fulfillment for the author, but for the intended audience. Whether you like it, or not, Sonic is unnaturally better than the entire cast; He has the most power ups, always leads the other heroes into danger, always wins, is skillful in almost anything he does, and his philosophy is generally regarded as the "right" way to live, and the one we're meant to sympathize with most. That's the entire point of an escapist character(And dare I say, most video game protagonists in general), to be what the player wants to be, its an empowerment thing.

So yea, Sonic is a mary sue, saying he's a terrible character because of it is missing the entire point of the character to begin with.

• Thumbs Up 2

What makes this character so recognizable is all pure down to his attitude and behavior.  The way he taunts and teases does make him a little bit like a school kid bully except that he is not a bully he is a protagonist. What I like about him is that he is always laid back and positive especially when it comes to scenarios say like when Eggman threatens to get rid of him, he doesn't get mad straight away he just smiles and teases at him, just like any old superhero story.

There are at times where we see a whole different side to him you know when things get too much and out of control, he then starts to get short-tempered like out of the Sonic X episode where we get a glimpse of him in his Dark Super Sonic form. Another example would be in the Storybook games where we get to see his true badass attitude when it comes to standing up to villains.

Whether he has flaws or not I think there is nothing wrong with character and no doubt he will always be one of my favorites. I mean just because he has a couple of bad games doesn't mean he's not likable anymore.

I never said he was a bad character, I just said that he's been handled horribly in the last few modern games and so. I used to like him... but now I don't like him. He is so annoying with his lame-ass jokes but at least he was challenged in Lost World.

I do not hate Sonic, I hate how he is presented and I do have every right not to like him.Sonic being a mary-sue is not the reason I dislike him. Heck he's a better written one than Sally Acorn and Twilight. I dislike him because he's gone from a hero with an attitude to a super powerful alien who can do anything and nothing is a challenge because he can dare I say... smash them to smithereens. And he doesn't take anything seriously anymore. He's done so in the storybook series and in the Adventure series. But in Colors on... nope.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok, I see that complaint thrown around an awful lot, and I'm still trying to figure it out. Ok, so the complaint is that Sonic can do everything and nothing challenges him....when has that never been the case? I don't think there's a game out there where Sonic isn't always portrayed as overwhelmingly positive and perfect. In the storybook game, he is literally touted as a "Legendary hero" and hands everyone their asses. The Adventure series is the only time I felt he was legit challenged and had to overcome it.

I don't think there's a game out there where Sonic isn't always portrayed as overwhelmingly positive and perfect.

Sonic Unleashed begins with Sonic stopping to run his mouth and promptly getting shat on by Eggman for it. Sonic Lost World revolves around Sonic doing something stupid and getting a debatably unnecessary amount of shit for it. Black Knight has a scene dedicated to Sonic getting a legendary, unparalleled ass whopping that will be spoken of for ages. Even in the lighter Sonic Colors Tails is constantly slamming Sonic for just how lame half the shit he says is. Just because he's good at what he does and thus confident about it doesn't really make him flawless. He's just....good at what he does.

Sonic Unleashed begins with Sonic stopping to run his mouth and promptly getting shat on by Eggman for it. Sonic Lost World revolves around Sonic doing something stupid and getting a debatably unnecessary amount of shit for it. Black Knight has a scene dedicated to Sonic getting a legendary, unparalleled ass whopping that will be spoken of for ages. Even in the lighter Sonic Colors Tails is constantly slamming Sonic for just how lame half the shit he says is. Just because he's good at what he does and thus confident about it doesn't really make him flawless. He's just....good at what he does.

I was speaking in the past tense more than anything. Granted, the Unleashed and Colors examples are points, but the former is never really addressed in the plot, and the latter is more for a gag than anything. So its debatable how relevant both examples are in the grand scheme of the games they take place in.

Azure, I think you're somewhat overestimating Sonic's qualities in the grand scheme of things. Sonic is good at the things he does, but he cannot do everything. He cannot out-think Tails and Eggman, or out-punch Knuckles and out-DBZ Shadow (though none of this necessarily means he can't under any circumstances logically win against these two), or out-swim Vector. This is true for most heroes ever created; they have a subset of good talents and personality traits that translate naturally into leadership to some degree and general affability. A Mary Sue takes this to a ridiculous conclusion and essentially creates a character that really is good at solving everything on their own despite the abilities and experience of the rest of the cast members.

And let's not say Sonic has never been challenged. Sonic has pretty much struggled in most of the 3D games, whether it be due to the surprising competence of Eggman, the life-threatening exploits of his friends, or his own oversights. From trying damned hard to keep the Emeralds away from Eggman to nearly getting blown up in space, to being completely useless against an alien nerve gas and getting transformed into a werewolf and thrown to Earth, Sonic has had setbacks, struggles, and outright failures before that have been the result of either internal or external factors, and sometimes both.

Basically, Sonic is more Clark Kent than Wesley Crusher, and as a result, I think people are a little too enamored with seeing him ripped to shreds in a literary context- to see him fail, over and over and over again- under the guise of making him more "relatable" or something. Again, it's a shame to see that kind of ire and disinterest towards what should be an endearing protagonist. =/

• Thumbs Up 5

exactly, the guy is amazing at everything he does. wwww

so why is he a sue again? I hear this crap on the SEGA forums mostly from people who are fans of overpower characters. no ones saying you have to like Sonic but you cant bash him just because hes amazing and strong and can do more than your favorite characters can ever do.

of course hes been challenge, he struggles against Eggman many time, he died... he puts him self in danger all the time! he always risk death. so don't ever say he doesnt face challenges.