Awoo.

Sneak Peek at new Tom & Jerry show TV series

Tom & Jerry Show 2014 - Trailer 2: http://youtube.com/watch?v=2lQsQsbPB8w Also, for Cartoon Network US viewers, it will premier on April 9th! http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjc5NTAzMjMy.html Discuss, this video was just recently been found, even though it was uploaded in August 2013, I don't think there has been any news or more info about this new show for Tom and Jerry, other than the fact that it was announced in 2012.. Article (no video): http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/416292/Tom-and-Jerry-in-new-series Update for Canadians (Including me!): Season 1 begins Saturday, March 1 at 8 a.m. ET/PT

New TELETOON Series The Tom and Jerry Show World Premiere: Season 1 begins Saturday, March 1 at 8 a.m. ET/PT with two back-to-back episodes The iconic cat and mouse rivals are back in The Tom and Jerry Show, a fresh take on the classic series. Preserving the look, characters and sensibility of the original, the all-new series shines a brightly colored, high-definition lens on the madcap slapstick and never-ending battle that has made Tom and Jerry two of the most beloved characters of all time. Comprised of two 11 minute shorts, each episode features Tom the cat and Jerry the mouse plotting against each other in their traditional suburban setting, as well as additional storylines where their rivalry is set in more fantastic worlds, like medieval castles and a mad scientist's lab. - See more at: http://www.corusent.com/home/Corporate/PressReleases/tabid/1697/Default.aspx?Id=2646#sthash.ncbyo0Sl.dpuf

Is it just me or does the animation look a little weird at times, like stuff seems a little delayed or slowed down?

• Thumbs Up 4

I like it but... I don't know, the animation doesn't really look that good to me. It kind of feels like there was a lack of effort here. I dunno, I'll wait and see the whole thing I guess.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh god this is horrible. Art style is lazy, terrible animation and how many fucking times are they gonna repeat the same stupid "getting hit" sound effect? I really hope this isn't a thing.

Oh god this is horrible. Art style is lazy, terrible animation and how many fucking times are they gonna repeat the same stupid "getting hit" sound effect? I really hope this isn't a thing.

It's real unfortunately, at least the previous series had better animation...but not much else.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the animation or the overused stock sound effects-considering the date this sneak peek was uploaded, it's arguably a very early look at the show. which for the record hasn't even gotten an official unveiling from CN itself yet. The only two pieces of news about it one can find is an "announcement" report done back in 2012 and another article that implies the show was planned to start airing last year (but hasn't, for some reason. Probably because the execs were having too much fun screwing over DC Nation and similar action shows?).

I personally actually like the artstyle as it hearkens back to the Chunk Jones era of shorts (in terms of simple backgrounds and colors) made in the 60s. And this one doesn't look like it's going to neuter the cartoon violence and slapstick like previous takes on Tom and Jerry did. As a big T&J fan, I'm optimistic for this one. At least they're not overhauling the formula like they did with The Looney Tunes Show.

Here's a promo pic of the show BTW.

tom_and_jerry.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't know how I feel about this.

The flash animation is too sluggish and choppy looking for my taste. Was Warner Bros. too cheap that they couldn't even produce this in-house like the relentless T&J DTVs they're milking? Instead, they get the makers of Hi Hi Puffy Ami Umi to do this with flash. Flash doesn't work in Tom and Jerry, these two are living and breathing characters. Bill Hanna and Joe Barbera perfected that along with the talents like Ray Patterson, Ken Muse and Irv Spence, they've helped made Tom & Jerry what they are and that's why people enjoy them. They could have at least use the techniques from Wander Over Yonder or the new Mickey Mouse shorts to make the characters more expressive.

Plus, where the hell is my Tom and Jerry Golden Collection V.2 that we've been waiting for ever since, Warner Bros.?

Mixed options so far.

I find the lack of outlines disturbing.  Can't say I'm too excited about this as I found the last few T&J outings not that good.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have to agree with those who've criticized the animation. It does look off. Although it's really hard to top the original animation style, especially when it came to those facial expressions.

I do remember hearing about this, but I haven't heard any news beyond that video being posted, so I'm curious to know whether this is still going forward or not.

The animation looks simplistic like an old 1960's Hanna Barbera cartoon, but has the bright colors and tweens that a modern flash cartoon would have. Looks really bad in motion, in my opinion.

Either way I don't care about Tom and Jerry anymore. Feel like I just kind of grew out of it.

They announced the show WAY back in October 2011 when WB Animation CEO Sam Register was giving a keynote speech.

Then they officially announced it in October 2012 when info about reached the internet.

Then in mid July 2013, we got note that Jason Alexander and Simon Helberg were staring in the show.

News about this new series is scarce.

More slapstick than Tom and Jerry Tales is a good thing if an easy act to follow, although it's boring slapstick for Tom and Jerry standards. No egregious burns, no table cats, no fur hanging off, no being cut into pieces, no visual gags. It's a mild improvement at best.

The animation is just bad. There's no interesting arcs of action in the characters, there's no great deformations, there's no extreme overlap. Their bodies are too rigid and the timing is just standard modern cartoon timing, and it's because of that goddamned Flash tweening. Unless you have rigs from the gods, you can't get classic Hanna-Barbara stuff from tweening that will have the same visual and physical impact. That can only be done by an artist who knows how bodies and animation works.

I am so over companies not even trying with this franchise. =/

• Thumbs Up 2

I despise Tom & Jerry but if there's one thing it always had going for me, it was the animation. This new cartoon doesn't even have that.

I sorta like the style, but I feel like any modern day Tom and Jerry production is going to fail to capture the charm of the original Hanna-Barbera shorts. More than anything, the lack of hard-hitting, over-the-top violence with strong timing (the hallmark of Hanna-Barbera's shorts) always just makes these things feel wrong. Hell, even Looney Tunes alum Chuck Jones couldn't capture the feeling, the T&J shorts his studio produced in the 60s felt more like a poor man's version of Coyote cartoons (but theatrical animation was on a down turn around that time; even Friz Freleng produced some real stinkers around that time).

I'll give this a shot when it drops, but I'm not too surprised that it's on the same level as Tom and Jerry Tales or those recent movies that Spike Brandt and Tony Cervone produced.

Plus, where the hell is my Tom and Jerry Golden Collection V.2 that we've been waiting for ever since, Warner Bros.?

Something tells me you'll be waiting a loooooong while. WB can't even get it together for their "Platinum" Looney Tunes line-up (thanks for killing the Golden Collections for no reason, WB!), I'm not surprised they're still fumbling Tom and Jerry after the disastrous Spotlight Collections.

Ah, yes I remember hearing about this. Uhm, I'm just gonna say I'm not all that excited for the show. The animation looks like it's flash, which in slapstick is a big no-no. Everything looks so stiff and lazy. And since Warner Bros is making it, I doubt it's going to be entertaining. I recall they also made Tom and Jerry Tales, and that show wasn't that great. It could end up being okay if it had traditional animation, but it seems they are too far in production for that to change. I'll probably end up watching the first episode though, out of curiosity.

I sorta like the style, but I feel like any modern day Tom and Jerry production is going to fail to capture the charm of the original Hanna-Barbera shorts. More than anything, the lack of hard-hitting, over-the-top violence with strong timing (the hallmark of Hanna-Barbera's shorts) always just makes these things feel wrong. Hell, even Looney Tunes alum Chuck Jones couldn't capture the feeling, the T&J shorts his studio produced in the 60s felt more like a poor man's version of Coyote cartoons (but theatrical animation was on a down turn around that time; even Friz Freleng produced some real stinkers around that time).

I'll give this a shot when it drops, but I'm not too surprised that it's on the same level as Tom and Jerry Tales or those recent movies that Spike Brandt and Tony Cervone produced.

Something tells me you'll be waiting a loooooong while. WB can't even get it together for their "Platinum" Looney Tunes line-up (thanks for killing the Golden Collections for no reason, WB!), I'm not surprised they're still fumbling Tom and Jerry after the disastrous Spotlight Collections.

Hey! Friz Freleng was making those funny Pink Panther shorts! 

The last and most recent Tom & Jerry short, The KarateGuard was good because it was Joe Barbera's swan song. He added some gags and went back to the past from past shorts and put'em all in one, along with Spike Brandt and Tony Cervone on board.

And the real reason why WB won't release the second volume of the Tom & Jerry Golden Collection because Warners are chickenshit because of the racial shorts included. It just blows for us animation collectors. 

Hey! Friz Freleng was making those funny Pink Panther shorts! 

The last and most recent Tom & Jerry short, The KarateGuard was good because it was Joe Barbera's swan song. He added some gags and went back to the past from past shorts and put'em all in one, along with Spike Brandt and Tony Cervone on board.

And the real reason why WB won't release the second volume of the Tom & Jerry Golden Collection because Warners are chickenshit because of the racial shorts included. It just blows for us animation collectors. 

Oh, I know. I was talking about Freleng's output (more accurately, his studio's output) for Warner's at the time (who the hell thought Daffy and Speedy was a good team-up?).

I think I remember the Karate Guard being pretty funny, I guess Barbera being involved makes sense (I've only seen that particular short once; CN almost never airs it).

I don't understand why it's an issue in this day and age... OK, I know WHY, but something Warner's was big on in the last decade was releasing even the "politically incorrect" stuff with a warning label and a healthy dose of context via commentaries from qualified historians and so on. After all the noise people raised about releasing unmolested versions of these cartoons, and having their DVD sets replaced (TWICE!), I'm genuinely surprised WB is still dancing around this issue. I just assumed the first volume of Tom and Jerry Golden Collection sold poorly, especially after the mess with the Spotlight Collections, so Warner's put that on the back burner. Man, I'd hate to be Jerry Beck right now.

It's hard for me to get psyched up for another iteration of Tom and Jerry after the bore that was Tom and Jerry Tales, and the drag-on crap of the Tom and Jerry movies. But from what little I seen from the preview, it does seem like they're actually making an attempt this time to making it actually good. I just hope an attempt isn't all that it is.

That preview does seem like they're trying focus more on the gags and jokes, which is good. The thing I hated the most about Tom and Jerry Tales was that there was a lack of this in favor of Tom and Jerry just doing stuff and not giving you a reason to care. It made the cartoons feel slow and boring; like you were watching the same thing dozen times over even though you weren't. Same can be said with those movies, just stretch even longer and even more dull.

Now, while the focus of gags and jokes are good thing. It only matters if they are entertaining and funny. Tom getting hit desn't mean anything if there's no funny conclusion to go with it. And yeah, I've Jerry flatten to a silly looking pancake, I've seen Tom squashed by a elephant's butt to where he resembled an imprint of it's butt crack and etc. These are fine and dandy to use again, but I hope these guys are clever enough to make their own gags up instead of just relying on old gags or nothing at all. And for crying out loud, mix the material up in an episode for goodness sake. Believe it or not, having Tom scream because Jerry smashed his foot with a hammer gets pretty old when repeating it for the umpteen time.

The animation is a step-down, but I don't think horrible. Just nothing great. Yeah, it doesn't hold a candle to the animation of the original cartoons, but I'm willing to let it slide as long as everything else delivers.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, I know. I was talking about Freleng's output (more accurately, his studio's output) for Warner's at the time (who the hell thought Daffy and Speedy was a good team-up?).

I think I remember the Karate Guard being pretty funny, I guess Barbera being involved makes sense (I've only seen that particular short once; CN almost never airs it).

I don't understand why it's an issue in this day and age... OK, I know WHY, but something Warner's was big on in the last decade was releasing even the "politically incorrect" stuff with a warning label and a healthy dose of context via commentaries from qualified historians and so on. After all the noise people raised about releasing unmolested versions of these cartoons, and having their DVD sets replaced (TWICE!), I'm genuinely surprised WB is still dancing around this issue. I just assumed the first volume of Tom and Jerry Golden Collection sold poorly, especially after the mess with the Spotlight Collections, so Warner's put that on the back burner. Man, I'd hate to be Jerry Beck right now.

The sad thing is that it's not the Home Video department's fault. It's the high and almighty bigwigs at WB who are sabotaging this from happening.

What's worse is that they don't have the budget to restore these classic cartoons so they rely on cheap double dips for soccer moms to buy in order to make a profit for them.

They are, however, restoring old Popeye cartoons for DVD and Blu-Ray to coincide with Genndy Tartakovsky's new Popeye feature next year.

I find the lack of outlines disturbing.

This is the first thing I thought about it.  It just looks weird without them.  The characters aren't as solidly-defined; they seem to blend in a bit with the background.

Otherwise, I'm not especially interested, just a little curious.  I think you'd really need to see a full episode to judge it properly, though.

So is every old cartoon ever being rebooted now? laugh.png

I don´t know how to feel about this, animation seems really off sometimes, and the teaser seems really dull...

everything looks cheap, which is really a shame, because the original cartoon was great...

Although I suggested the animation could be a lot better in the final show, I would be lying if I said I didn't want the final product to be done in traditional animation rather than Flash.

Kinda bothers me that CN's been very tight-lipped about this show. We at least got quite a bit of promo art and information regarding The Looney Tunes Show in comparison.