Awoo.

Sneak Peek at new Tom & Jerry show TV series

I dunno how I feel about the art style, but I really hope the sound effects are better than that.

I guess it won't matter, though, since I'm probably gonna skip this.

I'd be up for a new one, so long as it was in the original style. That preview looks good and all, but as others stated, hardly any outlines blend everything together.

And on the topic of Tom and Jerry Tales, apart from the occasional episode, the only thing I liked about it was the opening.That at least made it look like it was following the original, but sadly it wasn't to be.

• 1 month later...

Update for Canadians (Including me!):

Season 1 begins Saturday, March 1 at 8 a.m. ET/PT

New TELETOON Series 
The Tom and Jerry Show
World Premiere: Season 1 begins Saturday, March 1 at 8 a.m. ET/PT with two back-to-back episodes
The iconic cat and mouse rivals are back in The Tom and Jerry Show, a fresh take on the classic series. Preserving the look, characters and sensibility of the original, the all-new series shines a brightly colored, high-definition lens on the madcap slapstick and never-ending battle that has made Tom and Jerry two of the most beloved characters of all time. Comprised of two 11 minute shorts, each episode features Tom the cat and Jerry the mouse plotting against each other in their traditional suburban setting, as well as additional storylines where their rivalry is set in more fantastic worlds, like medieval castles and a mad scientist's lab.   
- See more at: http://www.corusent.com/home/Corporate/PressReleases/tabid/1697/Default.aspx?Id=2646#sthash.ncbyo0Sl.dpuf

I'm surprised they've airing this show to essentially no fanfare whatsoever despite the popularity of the franchise. No promos, no advertisements, no hints or clues whatsoever about it's premiere whatsoever within the past weeks, let alone the past months. And when the show finally does get a premiere, it's premieres in Canada first (compared to the US network where the shows usually premiere first-though I'm not saying Canada doesn't deserve premiere, don't take this the wrong way please XP). On TeleToon, no less (CN recently launched a Canadian CN channel a couple of years ago. Shouldn't it be airing over there and not TeleToon? What gives?!) It's kinda worrying about what it implies about why CN/WBA is treating the show this way.

Pretty sure TLTS also suffered from this as well, albeit to a lesser extent-it's second season premiere was announced about a week/some few days prior to it's airdate. I guess CN throwing Beware the Batman, Young Justice, and GL: TAS under the bus has screwed up WBA's management of shows as a whole-Teen Titans Go being the lone exception thanks to it being adored by the network.

EDIT: Checked TeleToon's schedule, it has the shows on there. If you miss the 8am ET/PT premiere, it will rerun the two episodes at 12pm and the first one at 4:30pm So yeah, this is real.
Names of the first two episodes:
S1 E1:  Spike Gets Skooled/Cats Ruffled Furniture
S1 E2: Sleep Disorder/Tom's In-Tents Adventure

Edited by Space☆Gabe

The video in the OP is gone but I get the idea that I could just watch a random clip of jonny test or something and get the gist of it.  

Thanks to any number of factors you basically can't do Tom & Jerry nowadays.  You have to be willing to hurt people and TV just isn't.  

Oh god they're going to "Don't you believe it" at some point aren't they and it's going to have Flash Chin.  This is going to be horrible.  

Thanks to any number of factors you basically can't do Tom & Jerry nowadays.  You have to be willing to hurt people and TV just isn't. 

If that was the case, all of the original Tom and Jerry shorts would had been yanked from television a long time ago and it wouldn't the large catalogue (and the ones that were pulled were removed not because of violence, but instead for racial stereotypes / gags such as blackface).

Only one attempt was done that stripped the original formula completely (Tom and Jerry: The Movie) and it was a complete disaster. All theatrical shorts, television shorts/shows, and DTV films since the original shorts have either kept some resemblance of the original shorts' cartoon violence, slapstick, or both.

I never heard anything about this. The video is gone, and I can't find anything on it when I look it up. I didn't even know about it until I found this thread. 

Not as bad as any time Jerry has a tie, but they made some awfully strange uses of comical traumatic deformation, and not as overtly Flash-y as something like Much Lucha. From that it seems they're relying too much on old visual gags.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjc5NTAzMjMy.html

The Sneak Peek has been found, after the original being removed from YouTube

...Why did that look so cheap?

No seriously, why did it look so cheap? The animation is incredibly lazy and doesn't even remotely have the physical impact the old cartoons had (when Tom got hit, HE LOOKS LIKE HE GOT HIT, this new show, the physical damage Tom gets looks like it does nothing to him...). It looks better than other flash shows out there (MUCH better than Johny Test...though that isn't hard to accomplish) and retains the classic look for the characters...but it looks, unprofessional?

The old cartoons had a special quality to them, the satisfying sounds and effects made during the cartoon chaos or the animation really looking like a solid, tanagable thing. I don't know how to explain it, so here is a Nistolga Critic view on what I'm trying to get across:

The show will most likely be good and funny, but the animation just really bothers me :(.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, even with a second trailer, my thoughts remain the same. I see some good ideas but it looks like they are trying to hard to bring back slapstick. Maybe it's just the trailer but it looks like this is going to be a very fast paced show with joke thrown after joke. I would be more excited if the sound effects didn't sound so generic. All I hear is the same thwack and crash. And they don't even sound so powerful which makes the slapstick feel weak. The animation is hit and miss. I mean, the show looks fine, when it's not moving. Once everything is set in motion, I feel as if it's too "plastic" and not enough "rubber" if you get what I mean. Animation seems to not flow all that well and I honestly have to question who thought flash animation was the best choice for this kind of show. I mean, with hand drawn, you can pull off a bunch of this stuff so much better. Eh, anyway I will be watching the first episode since series premiers seem to be free on iTunes 99% of the time. But I don't think I'll follow along. (And even I did want to, I don't have CN so...)

Yeah, Tom & Jerry really doesn't work without the right musical cues, does it?  That may be a trailer-exclusive problem, but somehow, I sense not.

• Thumbs Up 1

I swear, this show would look so much better with more efforted animation than the Flash-like bobbing and tweening. The stylishness to the art is beyond attractive, but the lack of exaggerated movement or expressions really bogs it down.

Also yeah, hope it has musical cues. That makes half of the original T&J shorts.

Mmmmmmmyyyeeeaaahhh, not too impressed. Both because of the music, sound effects, and art style.

Also what the hell is tweening? I keep hearing that word and I have no idea what it means.

Also what the hell is tweening? I keep hearing that word and I have no idea what it means.

I think it's when in hand drawn animation, you have over exaggerated expressions inbetween frames to help make the animation more bouncy and have more fluid transitions. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Yeah that second trailer has stripped down my interest for this show. Animation still looks cheap, there's a lot of stock sound effects, use of guitar music, and in terms of plot it seems to suffer the same problem of Tom and Jerry Tales-a load of stock/generic story-driven plots that just happen to have Tom, Jerry, and slapstick in them.

I'm still willing to give it the benefit of the doubt with the first slew of episodes though.

Basically, letting Flash fill in the "in-betweens" between keyframes (think of a guy getting ready to punch - guy punching as keyframes, while the actual movement of the punch in between those two are "tweens").

Typically it looks obvious when something is tweened in Flash and it looks inorganic (I can attest to that myself as when making a ball bounce I honestly find it easier to make everything keyframes and manually move the ball myself).

Yeah, Tom & Jerry really doesn't work without the right musical cues, does it?  That may be a trailer-exclusive problem, but somehow, I sense not.

That and the sound effects sound... dull. But hey, maybe they'll patch it up in time. Who knows.

Kidz love the flash animation these days.

That's kind of a major problem for me. People mentioned the obvious motion tweens going on. Tom and Jerry was very much an animation-driven show. It had a script, and great comedic timing, sure, but it was funny because they made it look funny. The new show may look alright in still images, but in motion it lacks the personality of the original. There's no weight or impact to the way the characters move.

Flash animation isn't always terrible, and I understand that it's cheaper, but it's more suited to shows that aren't all about action or physical comedy.

• Thumbs Up 5

This trailer format doesn't do this type of cartoon justice regardless if it's good or not. It strips out all the timing. Really had to get any kind of feel for the show from that trailer, but I do know I'm not digging their choice to drop the outlines.