Awoo.

insulting Eggman, does he deserve it?

Rey Skywalker-Ren

I talk a little about this on another thread and Ive been wondering. Ive seen many people think that Sonic bullys Eggman. He does insult him more and more as the games go on, but does he deserve it?

Me I think he deserves everything thrown to him. Because Eggman is a villian. Hes tried to kill Sonic more times I can count. Not only Sonic but he tried to kill thoses closest to his heart... his friends. Mess with the friends you mess with the Sonic.   Hes also tried to distroy the world many times. So with all that in mind, I dont feel sorry at all for McNosehair.

]

What do you think?

The whole notion of Sonic name calling Eggman is probably strictly for Child friendly humour, I mean I can tolerate his cheesyness in the Adventure games, but I think he does overplay the name calling card in Colours & SLW a bit too much to the point of you rolling your eyes and wishing to hear something other than a childish, derogatory insult coming from his mouth. It's yet again, all down to the writing and Sonic's characterization and SEGA failing to deliver.

• Thumbs Up 1

To be honest, it depends on the medium. For example, it's hard for me to have sympathy for Eggman from Archie Sonic. I can't really find it in my heart to care about his feelings after what I read in the Return to Angel Island arc. However, he's more of an affable villain the video games, so I can see understand why people would like him from what we see in the games. Now, I don't want Sonic to constantly harass Eggman. I do agree with some here that it does look childish for him to carry on after awhile. 

The insults are hardly harsh and he is trying to take over the world and kill Sonic, so sure he does.

• Thumbs Up 1

Eggman is a guy with designs on technocratic dictatorship and has proven himself ready and willing to disregard people's rights and cause immense damage in order to achieve his goals. Sonic is a guy who values freedom, despises oppression and is not down with other people deciding everyone's future for self-serving reasons. I think Eggman's aims push Sonic's buttons on mere principle and considering the doc can give as good as he gets in the insults stakes, I'd say he deserves the retorts.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can't take the complaints that Sonic is too mean to Eggman nowadays seriously, considering 1) I don't think anything Sonic's said towards him is close to "crossing the line" and 2) the guy tries to kill Sonic in literally every game in the series.. And that's leaving out everything else he's done. I think some level of animosity towards him is completely understandable.

Even ignoring that, I think Eggman (of all people) has a self-esteem that can survive a few jabs here and there. :P

He tired to enslave animals, create a floating death machine, unleash an unstoppable god of destruction, try to commandeer a giant planet shattering canon, unleash ANOTHER god capable of controlling time and space, blew up the fucking planet into several pieces to yet again control a god made of pure evil, enslaved aliens and tried to take over the world via mind control, fuck with the fabric of space and time AGAIN, and tried to drain the planet of some of it's life energy….

Yeah, id say he's deserving a insult or two once in awhile. :u

• Thumbs Up 1

I am still waiting for that day that Eggman gets sick of Sonic's constant annoyances and plants a well deserved fist through his face. I would cheer so hard.

I think that Sonic takes it too far in LW (granted you wish for more schadenfreude to befall Sonic when you see that Eggman retains his refined composure when he had to team up with Sonic instead of treating it as a road to hell,) ( ignoring about Tails and his unusual amp in snarkiness,) but that doesn't mean that Eggman doesn't deserve the taunts and irritation of one blue rodent, because after all he is the villain. Look at what he does and what he has done.

Another factor that has to do with it is that Sonic is always going to be the sacred, golden cow of SEGA, and of recent knowledge the mandates on him are high that he must win at all costs over Eggman - no room for any grey spots on this position. You can't help but feel sorry for the big guy because despite being the big baddie, it seems like everything is in his odds. Because of this polarizing outlook on fairness, winning and even what may appear as Pyrrhic victories nothing seems to go right for him to make room for development and after a while we crave change. Mario was the villain at one point, so why not Sonic?

After a while it seems more like kicking someone when they are down. You have to let Eggman win once in a while, then the insults will be more fulfilling and well deserved.

Personally, I think Sonic's letting Eggman off pretty lightly by only calling him things like "Badly McNosehair". After all, this is a guy who's tried to murder him countless times, enslaved helpless animals to power his evil robots, unleashed apocalyptic gods of destruction upon the world on more than one occasion... oh yeah, and he blew up half the friggin' moon.

I don't care the moon magically fixed itself, it still happened dammit 

• Thumbs Up 3

He definitely deserves it.

And he deserves every trashing he gets, as well. He's the bad guy!

Also it's part of Sonic's personality to throw the odd insult. :B

I don't care the moon magically fixed itself, it still happened dammit

Actually The moon just spun ;) canon from Dark lord Izukia!

I don't really think he takes it too far, his insults are more childish than anything, sonic isn't really trying to hurt Eggmans feeling either, he is really just smack talking and taunting like how Eggman has done to him in pretty much every boss fight.

I don't mind it when Sonic or someone else insults Eggman, but in Sonic Lost World, I think they went a bit overboard with it, and to me, Eggman was probably the only likable character, Sonic and Tails seemed like total dicks.

I get that Eggman has been trying to destroy Sonic and conquer the Earth, but at least Eggman tried to cooperate with Sonic and Tails when he had to. He even saved both Sonic and Tails! 

Eggman does deserve it, but I think sometimes they go too far.

With all the crap eggman has done(blowing up the moon, enslaving an alien race and capturing 5 planets, destroying the earth) I think he deserves it also sonic's insults are petty(boldy mc nosehair, egg face) I'm surprised that sonic isn't meaner

As said it might look remotely harsh if Eggman wasn't someone who could dish out as much as he could take. Contrary to how people see it, Eggman isn't a harmless villain. He's a genuine menace while Sonic merely laughs in the face of danger. Not to mention Eggman himself is a traditional gloating asshole villain and gives his own share of smarmy insults and banter to Sonic.

Not to mention in the end Sonic's treatment doesn't really exceed childish insults, he doesn't talk Eggman down to nothing with a scaving Reason You Suck Speech every time they meet, and his physical treatment is pretty much always in self defense (he is not one of those Blood Knights who kicks Eggman long after he's already down). Sonic is smarmy, which is sometimes an obnoxious quality, but I wouldn't call him a 'bully' for it just yet. Maybe when he starts turning on his friends with it like other medias do at times, but until then it couldn't be handed to a better person.

• Thumbs Up 1

The moment a human being starts enslaving wild animals in a bid for an international dictatorship is the moment that their carte blanche from being ridiculed without provocation is permanently revoked.

This, basically. Anything that could be said to Eggman pales in comparison to the things Eggman's done or tried to do. The scale's not going to tip the other way just because Sonic calls him a jerk a few times. And while you could argue that insulting someone, even if they're a genocidal wannabe dictator, is not a "nice" thing to do, heroes don't need to be saintly pure in their actions.

Honestly I'd like to see more abrasive interactions between characters (involving Eggman or otherwise). A lot of the time they're just so blandly nice, it's boring.

• Thumbs Up 1

im happy im not alone.

Eggman has threatnd to kill Sonics friends, even put a gun up to Amy in Sonic Adventure 2. This guy wants to kill Sonic and make Eggmanland so of course Eggman deserves to be insulted by Sonic. not because I like Sonic but because he deserves it for all the shit hes pulled. Eggmans put Sonic through alot so Sonic gets fustrated... so he of all peoples should not be pointing on Sonics flaws, especially since for such a high iq he is also as stupid as Sonic. So he has every right to tell Eggman to shut up. Hes the one who brought the Zeti to drain the world of the power to rule the world. It is also his fault as well as Sonics but the game pin the whole thing on Sonic

Also Sonic is a 15 year old boy. Anyone who takes a 15 year old boys kiddy taunts and insults seriously as a grown ass man... theres something wrong with you. And Eggman doesnt give a damn... he keep going after every game to take over the world. Everytime he does that, hes asking for more. So hes asking for Sonic to insult him and he does. And Sonic has every right to do it because at the end of the day Eggman really is a bonehead.

And I like Eggman! biggrin.png

I think you could make an argument that it's fine for Sonic to insult Eggman, but in early western media he often he insulted him for the wrong reasons (i.e. Sonic making fun of Robotnik's weight in the old cartoons/comics, despite having fat friends and allies in the same series, carried some unfortunate implications about personal prejudices on Sonic's part). 

Thankfully, the games don't do this (SA1's localization and mentions of "giant talking eggs" aside), and instead have Sonic insult Eggman not for his appearance, but for what he does - which is repeatedly fail to conquer the world.

is what where Eggman comes from? the name?

Also Sonic called him Baldy McNosehair, kiddly making fun of his looks. With is funny XD

is what where Eggman comes from? the name?

Also Sonic called him Baldy McNosehair, kiddly making fun of his looks. With is funny XD

"Eggman" was always his name in Japan, though it was retconned into being an alias since the Adventure games, with Robotnik being the character's actual surname. Ignoring SA1's localization, it's clear that "Eggman" was what the doctor always called himself, and that it didn't really stem from an insult on Sonic's part.

And ehh, I always took "Baldy McNosehair" as more of a "bad translation yields funny name" joke than an "Eggman is ugly" joke.

I think you could make an argument that it's fine for Sonic to insult Eggman, but in early western media he often he insulted him for the wrong reasons (i.e. Sonic making fun of Robotnik's weight in the old cartoons/comics, despite having fat friends and allies in the same series, carried some unfortunate implications about personal prejudices on Sonic's part). 

I think a recurring Unfortunate Implication in the early medias was that a lot of people placed against Sonic had geeky facets (eg. Antoine, Snively, several of the more comical STC villains), and as mentioned, he tended to prefer insulting them for these attributes rather than just they were assholes, giving him something of a jock disposition. Not to mention a lot of them were far meeker and pathetic compared to Eggman.

• Thumbs Up 2

I know hes called that in Japan but people said that Sonic gave him that name.

In Japanese Colors, Im not good at translating to English but I think he said "beard beads bead"?

He deserves it, after all the enslavement of innocent animals, creating massive robot armies to take over the world, and playing with forces for is own benefit that he shouldn't have, he deserves to be insulted.

He's a pretty awesome character though.

i love Baldy McNosehair. hes my favorite Sonic villian but its funny to see him get picked on by Sonic when he fails.