Awoo.

insulting Eggman, does he deserve it?

Rey Skywalker-Ren

After considering all of the things that Dr. Eggman has done to Sonic, including zapping Sonic with the rays that caused him to turn into the Werehog and then ejected him into space (Sonic Unleashed), hitting his best friend Tails with a mind control ray and trying to turn him against Sonic (Sonic Colors), smashing both Sonic's current and Classic counterpart with the hand of the Time Eater (Sonic Generations), and shooting the Tornado to blow Sonic and Tails out of the sky (Sonic Lost World), Dr. Eggman should be glad that all Sonic is really doing in return (aside from repeatedly defeating him) is throwing insults at him. It's even better for Dr. Eggman when you consider that the percentage of the insults that Sonic hurls at Dr. Eggman being corny is extremely high.

I'd say that Dr. Eggman is fortunate to just get the corny insults and this from Sonic:

CMCzRLE.gif?1

Sarcasm with a playful punching gesture

As opposed to this:

YixqPu8.gif?1

Getting punched by Sonic, assumingly in his face. Glaring watermark aside, I'm sure you get the idea. Here Sonic looks to really angry and wants to knock Dr. Eggman out. I'm kind of surprised that Sonic actually hasn't done this to Dr. Eggman yet, all things that he has done to him considered.

So to answer the question of the OP, YES Dr. Eggman deserves to be insulted by Sonic. In my opinion he deserves that and then some after all that he's done...

• Thumbs Up 8

This is how Sonic should react sometimes:

trash_robots_by_sonikku_chinn-d72y4rw.pn

that sayd "dont mess with me, stupid asshole". That punching in and all is enough to say "dont mess with Sonic".

Getting punched by Sonic, assumingly in his face. Glaring watermark aside, I'm sure you get the idea. Here Sonic looks to really angry and wants to knock Dr. Eggman out. I'm kind of surprised that Sonic actually hasn't done this to Dr. Eggman yet, all things that he has done to him considered.

Considering he can shred through solid metal and effortlessly destroy Eggman's robots, Sonic is probably aware that attacking an ordinary human like Eggman directly (rather than just his Eggmobile or whatever mech he happens to be piloting) could be incredibly harmful or even fatal. Since Sonic only wants to stop Eggman rather than truly hurt the guy (or worse), it makes sense that he never attacks the man himself.

In a way, merely insulting Eggman shows that Sonic has the moral high-ground over his nemesis. Despite Eggman repeatedly trying to completely destroy him, Sonic doesn't need to stoop to the villain's level, choosing instead to fight back with playful barbs and destruction of property instead of actual bodily harm. He expressed genuine concern when he thought Eggman had fallen to his death in Lost World as well, so I think it's clear that he only wants to Eggman to fail, not die.

i agree. also I want to say that Sonic wasnt being a bully or a brat, hes just fed up with Eggmans bullcrap and snapped... words wise by telling him to shut up and that he needed to take a shower. I felt bad for Sonic.

It honestly depends on the context; When Eggman is actively trying to kill Sonic, and confronting him then yea, a little banter and insult thrown the doc's way never hurt, and can be charasmatically badass. However, there are times when you want to side with Eggman and punch Sonic in the face.

Like, when Sonic calls Eggman out on his "lame" jokes in the pre-final boss cutscene, well, if you're the type who enjoyed Eggman's lines throughout the game(And considering how much everyone praises them, I'm pretty sure you do) you honestly could be a little peeved at Sonic's line, because calling Eggman out on his lines, while his own jokes weren't exactly anything to write home about. It can be a little grating to hear.

And, in recent games, it seems pretty disproportinately in Sonic's favor; Sonic will hurl out insult after insult, and Eggman will do nothing to retaliate.

• Thumbs Up 4

But why do people side with him without understanding Sonics frustrations? He's not the bad guy

But why do people side with him without understanding Sonics frustrations? He's not the bad guy

Eggman is the bad guy, yes. But he's also easy to empathize with through sheer force of personality, which I suppose can be divorced from his actual motives and actions. So his fans don't necessarily like Eggman because they think he's right - he clearly isn't - but rather because he's likable, and for some, more relatable than the somewhat idealized heroes.

In a real-world setting, of course we'd all side with Sonic and consider Eggman little more than a rightfully-hated terrorist. In fiction, though, Eggman's aesthetic persona outweights the evil he commits, and for that reason it's easy to root for Eggman even if we know he won't (and shouldn't) ever win (against Sonic, at least; He does defeat other villains with some regularity). Generally speaking, we like him more for who he is than what he does.

• Thumbs Up 3

Eggman is also my favorites to but in LW I have to side with Sonic. But I understand now

I wouldn't mind Sonic insulting him in LW if Eggman did anything to retaliate, it has to go both ways. But the way it's presented, it's everyone against Eggman; Sonic & Tails don't wanna work with him, The Deadly Six wanna kill him, and not even his own henchmen like him much( Orbot at least).

I felt bad for Sonic too, but damn does Eggman have it just as bad except he doesn't get to win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure that's an accurate depiction of everything. The Deadly Six wanted to kill everything, Cubot was completely out of the pack politics going on (as you noted), and while Sonic may not have wanted to work with Eggman he begrudgingly accepted the pact anyway to the point that it nearly put a serious rift in his relationship with Tails who in turn was being bitchy to everyone, and that rift would've been permanent had Tails not deus ex machina'd his way out of trouble. Let's not forget the fact that Eggman slung some harsh words and sarcasm at Sonic and Tails too, nor the fact that the entire pact from his point-of-view was just a front for the finale, even his so-called death which affected Sonic on some level. So to what extent can you actually say Eggman gave a damn about any of it versus Sonic who was genuinely gung-ho to trust him after being the catalyst for everything? At the very least, I can be certain that the emotional whirlwind Sonic went through in the game was indeed real, and a lot of that included actual suffering. Meanwhile, I feel Eggman's little eulogy for Tails was fake from the get-go, and it further shines a bad light on everything else.

Edited by Nepenthe

In fairness, Eggman is no slouch when it comes to dishing out insults either. While I could be wrong, I believe Eggman is the only character in Lost World who insulted absolutely everybody at one point or another, except for Knuckles and Amy, simply due to not interacting with them - from the Deadly Six ("Eggman wannabees!", "Fat one!", "Rebellious swine!") to the heroes ("My most hated enemies," "That blue nuisance!", "You moronic hedgehog!"), to his own minions ("The dimwit," "Idiots!"). In typical Saturday morning cartoon villain fashion, Eggman has always been easily agitated and prone to verbally berating whoever he's currently angry with.

I once did a compilation of all of AoStH Robotnik's insults, though now I'm curious how one of Sega Eggman's might look! He's certainly had a creative repertoire of verbal barbs over the years. Perhaps I'll begin gradually working on that next.

Sonic accepted the pact, but made it clear it wasn't something he liked.

It mostly hinges on how sympathetic you found Eggman throughout the game.

Why does Sonic not liking teaming-up with his arch-nemesis mean Eggman deserves sympathy of any sort? Eggman said he didn't want to team-up with Sonic either and I've not seen a single person yet saying that Eggman's own reluctance is an undeserved slight towards Sonic. They simply don't like each other. Why does this fact warrant empathy on one party or the other? Also, to what extent can you say Eggman deserved sympathy in that game when he was the one who went to the planet to enslave the Six in the first place (as far as we know, they weren't bothering anybody until Eggman started torturing them), and the whole entire situation he put himself in with Sonic was a lie?.... Seriously, he tortured beings to do his bidding, and then when things went bad, he lied about nearly everything to continue on with his plans. Boo-hoo if Orbot admires Sonic's loyalty. 8/

I dunno, Eggman's likability might have something to do with it. Everyone always goes on about how he's the best part of the game, so the fact that he's thrown so much shit might turn people off.

He definitely deserves it though, no arguments there.

I dunno, Eggman's likability might have something to do with it. Everyone always goes on about how he's the best part of the game, so the fact that he's thrown so much shit might turn people off.

He definitely deserves it though, no arguments there.

I think it'd be different if Eggman were actually hurt by the things being said. As it stands, Eggman usually reacts to being mocked with annoyance, dismissal, or over-the-top cartoonish rage. These reactions are a huge part of what makes the insulting banter funny; If Eggman did seem saddened or genuinely hurt, the scenes would just be kind of... awkward and sad, rather than humorous.

Sonics insults are meant to not be taken seriously. Besides and I say it many many many times, Eggman was a total asshole in Sonic Lost World and he deserves what Sonic says to him because he is an asshole and a dooshbag. He brought those Zeti and he kidnapped animals. And I lost all remorses when he went against them in the end. I think hes teaming up was fake and if it was, great job!

I like the doctor because hes awesome but Im going to side with Sonic.

Eggman is the bad guy, yes. But he's also easy to empathize with through sheer force of personality, which I suppose can be divorced from his actual motives and actions. So his fans don't necessarily like Eggman because they think he's right he clearly isn't - but rather because he's likable, and for some, more relatable than the somewhat idealized heroes.

In a real-world setting, of course we'd all side with Sonic and consider Eggman little more than a rightfully-hated terrorist. In fiction, though, Eggman's aesthetic persona outweights the evil he commits, and for that reason it's easy to root for Eggman even if we know he won't (and shouldn't) ever win (against Sonic, at least; He does defeat other villains with some regularity). Generally speaking, we like him more for who he is than what he does.

You sure of that, Mechano?  tongue.png

Creepy-Laugh-By-The-Evil-Witch-In-Disney

Equality over all, down with G.U.N.

Death to the hedgehog.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well as far as Eggman deserving the insults I could not say.
As for why Sonic insults Eggman, there may be a  reason. I red a fanfic… I know not canon, but it had a good point. “If you insult the bad guys, it makes them angry, and when the bad guy is angry they make bad decisions and are easier to fight.

Eggman is the BOMB! I just love the character, ever since I saw his little sprite for the first time. ha

But in all seriousness, There was a point in Lost World where I was legitimately on Eggman's side and shared a hatred of Sonic. We all know the scene, it's that one part where Sonic acts on nothing but a whim and kicks the conch out of Eggman's hand. It brought out an aspect of Sonic that allowed me to see what the doctor saw in him.

Just a thought, though. Eggman's still a bad dude.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't have a single problem with Sonic insulting Eggman after all the crap he's pulled from Sonic 1 onwards.  However, I hope it doesn't get to the point where Sonic starts insulting his friends a la Fleetway Sonic. Spoiled for size:

http://s188.photobucket.com/user/thekon/media/Sonic%20the%20Comic/Respect%20Thread/DestroySat.jpg.html

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_mq48da5-jeE/TGxJVMkVTOI/AAAAAAAAA8g/PELXYDMcoeY/s1600/richardelson-01.jpg

http://31.media.tumblr.com/8246d6ae33afbcbd50b44a2c0247c582/tumblr_mhmfocKtOY1qdtw9eo1_500.png

Let's keep shit-stain douche-bag Sonic in his crappy, dead for 10+ years comic shall we?

Again, insulting Eggman - Okay!  Insulting friends - Not Okay!

Let's keep shit-stain douche-bag Sonic in his crappy, dead for 10+ years comic shall we?

Again, insulting Eggman - Okay!  Insulting friends - Not Okay!

I agree.

Hay I think that Sonic went on to make Sonic For Hire.

That would explain why Tails is a jerk in that show.