Awoo.

Sonic the mentor

Rey Skywalker-Ren

I don't think you understand, while Sonic would indeed fight with his friends he is nowhere near a "tutorial" character. He doesn't know everything and probably knows next to nothing when compared to tails, knuckles and Eggman. Sonic inspires other characters through his actions and teaches them traits and values throughout the story. He wouldn't know how to read ancient Enchidnean or build a biplane for example

• Thumbs Up 1

I dont think Sonic is stupid but I wanted him to have a role in the characters games other than "Tails/Amy/Knuckles/Shadow rescues Sonic who is kidnapped by Dr Eggman/Deadly Six/Black Doom"

Why does he have to be kidnapped though?

Those games/stories could easily follow the ones from the adventure games like Tails being more independent or knuckles looking for the emeralds or protecting Angel Island, heck I can imagine a level for tails where he is "looking" for sonic and you "find" him at the end of the stage. There are LOADS more scenarios than "sonic is kidnapped"

Edit: heck I've just had the idea for a Tails game of sorts, he finds out about a plan and goes to tell sonic and so has to find him. For boss battles maybe Eggman for smarter so sonic can't just smash them with the great big "fuck me" lights and so Sonic distracts the boss while Tails climbs on it's back and dismantles a protective piece of armour or takes out it's power supply ect. sonic is still being sonic but Tails is being tails and has a use

• Thumbs Up 3

I agree with a small helpess part and then Sonic contunues. I like that idea very much. I do kinda overract on the damsel thing but you dont know how many times Ive seen fans that that suggestien on different forums, mostly people who want Amy to have her own game and it makes me angry and I mentions it.

But breaking out of jail or something else like it is a good idea

• Thumbs Up 1

How about a MGS style game where you play as Amy and have to sneak out of Eggmans base? And at the end you beat the final boss and you see sonic coming to save you and she's all like "hi Sonic, considering Eggman is all tied up at the moment wanna come on a date?" And sonic all there like "..." With his mouth open :P

• Thumbs Up 2

It really depends, not as a tutorial character giving instruction, but say he was in the level he might say things like "that wall looks breakable, do you think you could smash it knuckles?" Sorta things? Tipa on progression in game, sorta like how it was handled in Shadow I guess. Not full blown tutorials.

Oh okay. Like for example if it were say.... a Tails game, he would say "Hey Tails you can use the dash rings to move foward!"?

Instead of, "Hey Tails, press the X button to do a fly dash, but becareful you loose power faster"

Sorta, like I said in game tips, not things like controls, that makes him a tutorial character.

Thins like, "maybe you could fly up there Tails?" "Hmm that wall looks breakable, could you do something about that Knux?

The tips would be very specific, things about gameplay mechanics like dash rings/checkpoints/rings would be explained by the tutorial character. Any tips given would be through in game conversations like you hear in heroes stages ect.

Oh okay. I understand now.

I feel bad because I wanted Sonic to be important and show his power to the other characters and they look up to him but it didnt work :*(

He is important, he is the main protagonist of the entire series! And he is constantly showing his power and abilities to his friends and enemies.

He shows off regularly, it's part of his character, it doesn't mean he has to be a know it all, because, although he is fairly smart, he isn't a genius, he doesn't know everything and so it wouldn't make sense for him to explain things to the characters, especially things he isn't known to even know about, like mechanics, ancient treasures and piko piko moves. That would be more fitting for a tutorial character like Omochao, Chip or Tikal or hey possibly even Eggman or tails with their high IQ's (and I can imagine they would research... Can you imagine Sonic sitting down and Doug some serious research? ;) )

Nah. Hes smart but he doesnt reasarch and wont.

I will find some other way to be amazing in other games. So he can share the spotlight. I want people to notice him

...I feel like I'm watching Amy Rose talk to everyone else here.

On topic, Sonic as a mentor really only strikes me as plausible for things related to speed (hey, he's pretty much an athlete, so he'd probably know something) and dance-based combat (he breakdances). Maybe some stuff related to the world since he does travel quite a bit...

And I can't think of anything else.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nah. Hes smart but he doesnt reasarch and wont.

I will find some other way to be amazing in other games. So he can share the spotlight. I want people to notice him

What do you mean you want people to notice him? He's the main character, who else would anyone be looking at when the franchise Is called Sonic the Hedgehog? He has quite a lot of attention, I just don't see your problem with this?

I think this is an idea that reflects badly on the entire cast as a whole. Even ignoring the fact that Sonic really isn't a character to canonically espouse advice unless a situation specifically and really calls for it- like a character about to commit suicide- it also calls into the question the competence of the rest of the cast. I mean, Shadow doesn't really need anyone telling him to be careful; he's one of the more astute characters than anything, even if he's heavy-handed. Nor does anyone else need Sonic helping them out in areas of their specific expertise such as Amy's hammer-wielding abilities or Tails' mechanical skills. Everyone is fairly independent and can develop themselves on their own within reason. Sonic doesn't need to be there for them all the time.

In-game, however; aren't we tired of tutorial characters? It's 2014, let's ditch the dialogue that reminds you you're playing a game. xP

• Thumbs Up 5

I get that my idea is stupid. I see that others can be awesome on their own just like Sonic is amazing and can take care of himself.

The reason why I thought it was a good idea was to put Sonic to good used in another characters game. If people want Sonic to be in another characters game then I want him to be awesome like he was in his own games. I dont want the same shit to happen to him like in Shadow the Hedgehog where he was shot and he fell down in the intro. Eh great job trying to show that Shadow is better than Sonic (i think he isnt and never will be). OR when Sonic tired to warn Shadow not to fight in the mentals states that he was in. What made me angry about this scene is that Sonic cared about Shadow in that scene and he fucking beat the crap out of him and Sonic couldnt get up! what.the.fuck... was that shit?!

But hey, whats the heart/feeler of the franchise doing in a game where the main character is a grimdark? So my things is that if SEGS wants to put Sonic in a character game then he sould be allowed to be Sonic and not treated like shit so that the main character can seem better than Sonic. Thats why I thought tutoral. Because Sonic is very smart and also be helping people hes being himself the heart, the one who cares about these other characters. I want that to show and for him not to be reduce to a damsel or a doormat for someone to trash.

Oh okay. I understand now.

I feel bad because I wanted Sonic to be important and show his power to the other characters and they look up to him but it didnt work :*(

Don't feel bad. What you have to realize is that Sonic is important, as he is the main protagonist of the series! His powers, abilities, qualities and flaws even are all very evident and should continue to be as his friends won't have an impact on making those things less apparent. Friends or no friends, expect Sonic to always be the "star of the show".

As for the suggestion of Sonic being a mentor, I'm honestly not feeling it. I just see Sonic being a mentor with the rest of the characters being more incompetent and helpless than they are currently are being portrayed as a result. Even though it has been a while since we have actually seen it, Sonic's friends all do have abilities and skills to where they could be independent. They don't need to be reliant upon Sonic all the time. I don't think Sonic's obnoxiousness helps his cause either in regards to being a mentor to his friends.

That's not to say Sonic can't offer advice to his friends from time to time. I'd just rather not have Sonic go into tutorial mode as if his friends can't figure out and do things for themselves. Even if the circumstances were ideal for Sonic to be a mentor to his friends, I'd say "forget that" as I would rather not see that happen. I would rather see instead is for Sonic be an actual friend to his friends as opposed to being a mentor to them in both word and deed.

And your idea of Sonic being a mentor isn't stupid, so please don't say that. It's just an idea that many of us don't agree with for reasons that we all have explained so far. So no worries, okay? smile.png

• Thumbs Up 3

i understand. all I wanted was for Sonc to help and not be like in that game Shadow the Hedgehog.

I do worry alot about Sonic.

Well if they ever make a Tails game with Sonic in it.
I would say it would be much like a Sonic game where
Tails is helping Sonic. Except you play as Tails.
You give Sonic backup. 

• Thumbs Up 1