Awoo.

Do you think Sonic would exist without Mario, Spiderman and The Flash(DC)

amenably

I think Sonic would still have existed the same for the most part simply because I doubt Mario can cause enough of a butterfly effect that Sonic's creators' brain patterns are altered. I imagine another company would make a different sort of platformer and SEGA would still want to rival that. There was platformer mania in the 80s and 90s, and I assume this isn't due entirely to Nintendo; it's practically a guarantee the platformer genre would still have taken off and SEGA would have wanted a piece of the pie.

Some specifics might change but I think the overall core of what we identify as Sonic would still be there, as SEGA would still be the same company desiring to gut the market share of another company.

Nintendo kind of brought gaming back with the Platforming Genre and most platformers from the 80's onward were started mainly because they used Super Mario Bros. as a basis, some were just unoriginal copy-cat types and some just used it as a template to build the game around.

Nintendo kind of brought gaming back with the Platforming Genre and most platformers from the 80's onward were started mainly because they used Super Mario Bros. as a basis, some were just unoriginal copy-cat types and some just used it as a template to build the game around.

This assumes Nintendo is just that special.

When in all likelihood they're not. If they hadn't come up with platforming, someone else would have.

An invention is, barring extreme circumstances, historically inevitable, but its inventor is not.

Unless Nintendo had some quality no other gaming company did, there's nothing special about them or Mario. They just got to the platforming genre first.

This assumes Nintendo is just that special.

When in all likelihood they're not. If they hadn't come up with platforming, someone else would have.

An invention is, barring extreme circumstances, historically inevitable, but its inventor is not.

Unless Nintendo had some quality no other gaming company did, there's nothing special about them or Mario. They just got to the platforming genre first.

Yes but Sonic was made to be a competitor to mario and made to be different than him. If someone else has made a platforming mario maybe they would have thought of the speed anbl and sonic souls have been more about jumping, like mario. Also Nintendo managed to make Nario a huge success making other companies WANT to copy them to get in on the pie, if he wasn't a success I can't imagine other companies wanting to emulate something that won't grab them money

They kinda did. There were (for all intents and purposes) two companies in the console gaming market in 1985. One of them was creatively (and pretty close to financially) bankrupt and lacked the ability to create something like Mario and put the weight behind it needed. The other one was Nintendo. They (sorta) got to the platforming genre first and they released it alongside the only system anyone really gave a shit about (that they also made) and they were savvy enough that they turned the entire thing into a complete marketing juggernaut like nothing the industry had seen before.

That's why by the end of 1988 there was really only one console, and why "Nintendo" became a synonym for "game system" like "Atari" had the previous decade and "Sega" (and later, Playstation) did the following one. No other company would have had the reach and clout (and illegal monopoly) on the videogame market largely revolving around one character to make "we need to unseat their position with our own deliberately counter-culture mascot" a viable business strategy to bet the farm on, because if any other company was willing to take that risk when Nintendo did and work so shrewdly to make it pay off Nintendo probably wouldn't have been able to do it at all.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

Sonic would not exist without Mario because of the whole competition thing but what does Spiderman have to do with Sonic? The Flash??? Maybe not, the inspiration for his speed came from Yuji Naka speed running the first level of Super Mario Bros.

• 1 month later...

Actually I don't think Sonic would be here as I read somewhere Sonic was created to be Mario's rival, but Sonic is better.