Awoo.

Sonic Heroes PC...

BakingBluePotatoe

Hidden

cuz of the wierd controlls... (dangit, now I can't type right! >.<)

Um... HOW exactly do I change the buttons used? (I go into opions before I startup the game and it just says "Button (1-20) and I have no idea how to do it in the in-game...)

THIS IS DRIVING ME FUCKING INSANE. I want to have the Jump and Action button be ON THE SAME FUCKING ROW. otherwise, this is gonna make me go crazy.

and did I mention there's a lot of random framedrops? (even when I turned off those four thingies... set clippings to normal... but FPS is still 60.)

Yeah... I think I'm gonna go home and play the GCN version... it's FAR superior to the PC version.

---

Bolded part is the part I really need help on.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

Why not just use a game controller? 3D Platformers are never good with keyboards

Edited by Leon K Fox
Hidden

You cannot change the controls. The "Buttons 1-20" thing is for game controllers. Heroes used to be dreadful on my PC, though now with my great specs it runs worderfully. The issue is your PC. I only get framrate issues/slowdown where I got them on the GCN version and less frequently, also.

Hidden

Honestly, for me the PC version of Heroes is easily the best of them all - but you pretty much need a gamepad to enjoy it. Having to use pretty much the entire space of the keyboard is not something that lends itself well to a 3D platformer.

Also regarding the framerate; in the autoplay options you can change the default framerate just about anywhere from 10 to 60 FPS. I have mine on 30 and I've never had problems, but obviously if you want a smooth 60 then you'll need a great PC/graphics card combo.

Hidden

All I have to do is show one glitch

Go team hero

choose tails

fly and look at rear

Buggy shadows make it look like he has buttcheeks lmao

Hidden

Go team hero

choose tails

fly and look at rear

I remember someone mentioning that on a Tails forum years back, hehe :P

I wonder if anyone at Sonic Team noticed it? XD

Hidden

Go team hero

choose tails

fly and look at rear

XD Can you get a photo?

Hidden

I can get an image. I was about to play in a second anyway. :D

Let me tell you something, this game feels great using a DualShock 3 controller. You should really get one (but you'll need a USB cord; the one I'm using is from my brother's PSP P.gif) or an XBox 360 wired controller.

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

I can get an image. I was about to play in a second anyway. :D

Let me tell you something, this game feels great using a DualShock 3 controller. You should really get one (but you'll need a USB cord; the one I'm using is from my brother's PSP P.gif) or an XBox 360 wired controller.

How did you get the Dual Shock 3 to work on a PC? I have 2 sixaxis controllers and can charge them using a USB port of almost any kind (I even charged it once using my Xbox 360, how ironic...) but I've never been able to use ithem as wired gamepads before, did you have to download a special set of drivers or something along those lines?

I've gotten a wired 360 pad to work before though, that worked automatically besides the LT and RT buttons.

Edited by Leon K Fox
Hidden

I tried playing Sonic Heroes and Devil May Cry 3 and 4 on PC. Everything was nice and smooth for me. Also I never really experienced any slow downs on my laptop. I actually get some nice practice in typing from playing those on keyboard and A little bit of typing of the dead :P

Hidden

If your hand hurts, does that not mean that you wank while playing? [/JOKE]

Hidden

If your hand hurts, does that not mean that you wank while playing? [/JOKE]

Sonic HEROES, not Sonic and the Secret Rings.

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

What annoys me about this though, I rather play this game on the PC then on the PS2 ANYDAY. I have a PS3 controller that can also be used to play on the PC so I'm fine. The PS2 version is the worst one out of all platforms. >.<;;

Sonic HEROES, not Sonic and the Black Knight.

Fixed.

Edited by Spicylicious
Hidden

The only problem I really have with PC Sonic Heroes is that Big's body textures seem to be missing...

Hidden

Jake, that also annoys me. The problem isn't that the texture isn't there, it's been incorrectly named. I'll fix it for you if I still have the .txd tools.

Hidden

I have the PC version and unfortunately there's no way that I know of to change keys. On the bright side, you get used to it after a while and I don't have any issues reaching across the keyboard anymore. Just takes a tad more co-ordination.

Framerate issues? Well I have my FPS cranked down all the way to 20 since I'm running it on a laptop that doesn't exactly even HAVE its own graphics card...I hope to fix this when I finally get a new computer and run it at 60 FPS with all the pretty settings turned on. But yeah, if you just put your FPS down low enough to something your computer can cope with, I noticed no framedrop....if you can cope with the clunky, chunky gameplay of 20FPS.

Although, be warned, if you're playing this game on an integrated graphics underpowered little laptop, it has a tendency to cause WEIRD ERRORS. Like for instance layering - on my laptop the mission doesn't come up, and in the special stages neither does the gauge telling you how far away the emerald is and all that. Actually I have the same problem with SA:DX PC, but the HUD is missing making the game pretty much unplayable.

Then, if I combine Sonic Heroes with a handful of programs and try and switch out between the two programs, instant BSOD. (actually I think this is a buggy driver, but anyway)

Last but not least, it was while playing this game that everything froze and an ominous clicking noise started emanating from my hard drive....I never saw that data again. The lost data I'm implying here also included my Sonic Heroes save.

But that's getting off topic and launching into my personal woes - the point is that YES, get a gamepad of some variety, but if you can't/don't want to, you get used to the wacky keys and after a while it isn't so bad :)

Hidden

I have the PC version and unfortunately there's no way that I know of to change keys. On the bright side, you get used to it after a while and I don't have any issues reaching across the keyboard anymore. Just takes a tad more co-ordination.

Start a level and then pause and go into the relevant option screen, it even works with most game pads.

Hidden

but obviously if you want a smooth 60 then you'll need a great PC/graphics card combo.

Not really. If you have a GPU from the last three years it'll do fine in maximum settings - but you'll also need a decent CPU as well as enough memory (either of which would be fine if it was produced in the last three or four years).

If you're finding framerate issues and have an nVidia GPU, try going into the nVidia control panel and forcing V-SYNC on the application. You can also force the software to utilize different configurations as an override (which I use for Halo PC to make it look acceptable). It's all about knowing your hardware really.

Edit: I'm downloading the demo now and I'll give it a run on my rig.

Edit2: 60fps.jpg

Maximum forced settings, constant 60fps. ;)

Hidden

Jake, that also annoys me. The problem isn't that the texture isn't there, it's been incorrectly named. I'll fix it for you if I still have the .txd tools.

If you could, that would be swell. Can't I just rename the appropriate files in the folders, though?

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

Start a level and then pause and go into the relevant option screen, it even works with most game pads.

Seriously? I just gave it a try, no luck :(

Looks like I'm stuck with nasty controls then. Or maybe I could just, y'know, bother to get a gamepad. Thanks for the help anyway!

Edited by Extryn
Hidden

If you could, that would be swell. Can't I just rename the appropriate files in the folders, though?

They're compressed funny. There's tools somewhere, but I forget the site. I'll send you the fixed files tomorrow when I ccan be bother to get my fat arse upstairs to my main computer.

Hidden

Not really. If you have a GPU from the last three years it'll do fine in maximum settings - but you'll also need a decent CPU as well as enough memory (either of which would be fine if it was produced in the last three or four years).

If you're finding framerate issues and have an nVidia GPU, try going into the nVidia control panel and forcing V-SYNC on the application. You can also force the software to utilize different configurations as an override (which I use for Halo PC to make it look acceptable). It's all about knowing your hardware really.

Edit: I'm downloading the demo now and I'll give it a run on my rig.

Edit2: 60fps.jpg

Maximum forced settings, constant 60fps. ;)

I wasn't sure because I have a rather unimpressive ATI Radeon X1200, and even though it gets the job done on most things it tends to struggle quite easily. However I used the ATI Tray Tools to force V-SYNC like you suggested and it done the trick with no problem. There's still a few minor hiccups in a few odd places but there's other simple stuff I can mess around with to fix that. Thanks for the tips!

Hidden

Honestly, for me the PC version of Heroes is easily the best of them all - but you pretty much need a gamepad to enjoy it.

The PC version was the only one to which I was exposed. The only one which I ever played. I was able to enjoy it through keyboard only.

I was able to finish with all of the teams EXCEPT for Team Dark. And I was able to collect 5 Chaos Emeralds out of 7.

but obviously if you want a smooth 60 then you'll need a great PC/graphics card combo.

A laptop which was assembled in 2004, which contains a single-core CPU, and which contains only 512MB of system RAM can run Sonic Heroes smoothly and flawlessly. I assure you. :D