Awoo.

Was anyone here a member of Sonicanime.net?

wolf4537

So, I know that there's the topic of discussing the old Sonikku forums (SZF) from back in the day:

I myself was a member of the SZF for about a year in a half, from April of 2004 up through August of 2005. I had a lot of fun on that site, yet the site itself had A LOT of negative moments in it. 

So, at the end of 2004, I ended up joining the Sonic Anime forums (I was known as coolforever, but then I changed my name to Wolf's Rain), especially since there were talks of Sonic X having a 3rd season being made at that point. I really didn't post much on those forums until the beginning of 2005, where it was confirmed by a couple of SA members in France that the 3rd season of the show would indeed be airing in France by the middle of March.

From March of 2005 through April of 2005, EVERYONE was on that board. From discussing the newest Sonic X episode, to arguing over why people hate certain characters (I especially had a lot of arguments with anti-chris thorndyke people on there :P) and even to discussing what the future of the Sonic anime series was, it was truly one of the best experiences I've had in terms of being on a messageboard. 

I was an active member on that site up through I'd say about 2008, but then after 2008, the board has since become a long forgotten archive of Sonic related discussions between people. The site has also changed its name, it is now known as Sonic Kingdom instead of Sonic Anime

I still check those boards every now and then just for nostalgic purposes, but it feels sad that there's maybe one or two posts at the most on that board every month. 

So, like the SZF, is there anyone on here that was a member of SA? I think I've seen a few members around that I recognize. I really do miss 2004 and 2005 in general, those were the 2 most fun years I can remember being part of these communities. :)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wolf4537

• Tara

• goku262002

• Emmett L. Brown

I won't say who, but one of the admins on that site is a total asshole.  I feel sorry for the website that's stuck with them now.

Hahaha... what?

• Thumbs Up 2

I was a member of that site for a short while. was an okay community and provided allot of Site information along with Tails2k. didn't involve myself for long seeing as I was juggling several forums at the time (7 to be exact) and was moderating 3 of them.

sad to see it the way it is now, but its what happens when you make a community based on 1 subject, I saw a good few DBZ communities die off because of that.

I registered there under BlizShadow and posted a few times, but I didn't feel like taking the effort to get acquainted with the community, especially when I had my avatar of Shadow dancing taken off (<<;; it wasn't that big). I mainly went there for info on the show itself, but once it ended the site automatically became less appealing than it already was.

Also, the hell is up with them peddling some weird Sonadow universe around a site that was devoted to an official product?

• Thumbs Up 2

I registered there under BlizShadow and posted a few times, but I didn't feel like taking the effort to get acquainted with the community, especially when I had my avatar of Shadow dancing taken off (<<;; it wasn't that big). I mainly went there for info on the show itself, but once it ended the site automatically became less appealing than it already was.

Also, the hell is up with them peddling some weird Sonadow universe around a site that was devoted to an official product?

I agree, I didn't like what they did over the last few years on that site, turning it into a fanfic board of sorts. Kinda disturbing if you ask me. 

I joined SonicAnime a day before I joined here back in May 2005. I have some fond memories of that place :)

It was a cool forum but the only good admin on there was Kevin. Actually, he was brilliant. The others were over-reactionary Sonadow fanatics who were forcing it on everything and were paranoid of member behavior, even disabling post count because they believed it was causing superiority complexes when I saw absolutely no evidence of any such thing. When the forum effectively died, I wondered if there was a mass member rebellion or something because I hadn't been in the loop for a while. I think Sonic X ending resulted in the lack of interest.

It's a shame too. SonicAnime was pretty awesome in it's heyday. The community was pretty mature and intelligent and the discussions were very interesting. I still remember the "Poorly drawn Sonic X scenes" topic and the "Caption contest" in particular :lol: Brilliant stuff. The former topic even inspired me to create my Sonic X animation styles topic.

• Thumbs Up 5

I joined SonicAnime a day before I joined here back in May 2005. I have some fond memories of that place smile.png

It was a cool forum but the only good admin on there was Kevin. Actually, he was brilliant. The others were over-reactionary Sonadow fanatics who were forcing it on everything and were paranoid of member behavior, even disabling post count because they believed it was causing superiority complexes when I saw absolutely no evidence of any such thing. When the forum effectively died, I wondered if there was a mass member rebellion or something because I hadn't been in the loop for a while. I think Sonic X ending resulted in the lack of interest.

It's a shame too. SonicAnime was pretty awesome in it's heyday. The community was pretty mature and intelligent and the discussions were very interesting. I still remember the "Poorly drawn Sonic X scenes" topic and the "Caption contest" in particular laugh.png Brilliant stuff. The former topic even inspired me to create my Sonic X animation styles topic.

I remember those topics!!! GOD do I feel old, it's nearly been 10 years since I first started posting on there! tongue.png

The biggest gripe I had was when certain people would act plain n00bish and make topics like "KILL COSMO" or "CHRIS SUCKS!!" but then again, it was funny to see how whiny these people would act, especially since they couldn't spell 2 words right. 

But I did have a lot of I guess you could say....political discussions between certain people on that board, when it came to talking about Sonic X. In the end, it really didn't make any difference since everyone had their own opinion, although there were a few times where I felt good about defending my position on certain characters tongue.png

Also, do you guys remember back in 2007 when there were talks of a 4th season being made, only to find out it was a mistake and even TMS confirmed that there were no new episodes?

to be honest, if I won the lottery I would spend a bunch of that money just to keep Sonic X going. XD

Also, I agree about Kevin. He was an awesome Admin. He's on here now, right?

Also, do you guys remember back in 2007 when there were talks of a 4th season being made, only to find out it was a mistake and even TMS confirmed that there were no new episodes?

to be honest, if I won the lottery I would spend a bunch of that money just to keep Sonic X going. XD

Yep! If I recall right, it had been noticed that a channel in Poland was airing a 79th episode which grabbed the attention of the fans. Episode aired and much disappointment was had.

I think thought that SonicAnime fell into the trap that SSMB did before it killed it's Fluff and Party forum some years back as the forum games section of the forum garnered far more attention than the other parts.

It was a cool forum but the only good admin on there was Kevin. Actually, he was brilliant. The others were over-reactionary Sonadow fanatics who were forcing it on everything and were paranoid of member behavior, even disabling post count because they believed it was causing superiority complexes when I saw absolutely no evidence of any such thing.

First of all... D=

Second of all, we disabled post counts because we received numerous complaints, both private and occasionally in public, about members joining and requesting that their post count be manually manipulated to look like they had more.  In hindsight, I do think it was a silly to move to remove it altogether, but it was not without its reasons.

Third, I don't remember you there.  Did you not have a lasting presence?

First of all... D=

Second of all, we disabled post counts because we received numerous complaints, both private and occasionally in public, about members joining and requesting that their post count be manually manipulated to look like they had more.  In hindsight, I do think it was a silly to move to remove it altogether, but it was not without its reasons.

Third, I don't remember you there.  Did you not have a lasting presence?

Seriously? I never knew that. Gawd, makes me look at post count whores with even more contempt :I

I went under my olllllddd username "Poridet" :P

Seriously? I never knew that. Gawd, makes me look at post count whores with even more contempt :I

I went under my olllllddd username "Poridet" tongue.png

OHHHH!!!  I remember you now!!  We didn't talk much, then, but I remember you were a pretty well-regarded member.

I went under my olllllddd username "Poridet" tongue.png

OMG.....you are hitting me right in the child...errr...teenagehood....GAHH I wanna go back to 2005!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Ha, I am technically a member, but I really don't know why I did. This was....about a year, maybe two ago? It was around the time when Sonic Radio was in the process of changing things up. Even with that I barely knew anyone there. I do know one of the more vocal Sonadow fans of the board (and I think was a mod/admin too? Not sure)...

Heard of it, never went there. Even though I was on the internet by 2003, I was a wanderer until 2007, so it sounds like it was well past its heyday by the time I went looking for forums.

So what? Was this a forum that was more active when Sonic X aired?

It was a popular place because we used to have raw episodes of Sonic X available for download, but around 2005, the owner lost all her stuff, and we had to start over.

I was there since the Temp Board days, back when Bazil hosted it on his Capture The Pen Network site (which still exists! - though the main area of the SA.net board is inaccessible due to it being made into a link to the real boards once the site was back - but the Off-Topic etc stuff is still there if you set to show topics from the beginning).  I used to visit the main site for news and episode downloads back in my dial-up days.  After the site went down and all that existed was those temp boards, it was the only way to continue getting my fix, so I do so.  Made friends after a couple of months who I still am friends with today and even met in real life (Kevin, Lucky, and Mark in particular being some who hang around here too now).

I am deeply attached to the place.  It's like my quiet scenic internet hometown to the big, now-familiar-but-still-not-quite-the-same city that SSMB is to me.  There was a bunch of drama over the years, especially once the temp boards were gone and the admins were around to have ridiculous moodswings and come up with stupid rules.  I hold no grudges though, they've mellowed out a lot over the years from what I hear.  But yeah my fondest memories will always be when I was 13-15-ish on the temp boards.  Carefree, simpler times.

If it ever goes down for good I'll be very upset.  I keep meaning to backup some precious topics but ugh, such a tedious task and life gets in the way.

And hey, if anyone knew who ALIENDRONE was, what Bazil is up to these days (he was a cool dude), or if anyone knew Capella/Brian the Goldfish and knew what became of him, do lemme know.  These questions curse me to this day.

I won't say who, but one of the admins on that site is a total asshole.  I feel sorry for the website that's stuck with them now.

Hahaha... what?

Not to stir the pot, but I already have a good idea of who you're referring to, and agree. And not Kevin btw - was a total sweetheart admin through and through on that forum. biggrin.png

Anyone familiar with my username knows I was on SonicAnime.net as well as Tails2k (briefly as an mod/admin). Both were actually my first foray online discussing Sonic in general, so I was a bit more peppery in speech/discussion. the fuck am I kidding I'm still a little firecracker. biggrin.png

Or should I say more frequent? I posted something at least every single day compared to my lurking tendencies of now. I pretty much stopped visiting back in 2007-2008 because I didn't quite care for Season 3 of Sonic X. Not that I was missing much I suppose - the board seemed to stagnate in discussion once episode downloads were taken down/Sonic X ended its run.

Plus as referenced above, some admins (not saying who :o) had a very abrasive way of entering a discussion; one particular example that comes to mind was a particular topic dedicated to discussing the then newly released Shadow the Hedgehog. I was being respectfully critical of the gameplay glitches (i.e. random camera spanning, controls, etc.) when said admin practically came huffing in and decrying my observation as irrational - and writing it off as not working because I was not playing the Gamecube version. Which according to them, the game had been specifically developed for.

Makes my head spin just recalling it. :c

TL;DR - I migrated here to SSMB & the SEGA forums and I've been a resident lurker ever since.

The one upside to it being that I met a handful of folks that I still converse with/keep in touch through FB to this day. :3

There's only a couple of people I still keep in touch with, and I honestly miss the community from those forums. And Jez, I remember Brian the Goldfish. Haven't seen him in years though.

Oh yeah Kitty I remember you as an admin over at Tails2k. Gosh it has been along time since then though can't believe I forgot that some members other then me and Bolt7 still lurk around here from the Tails2k days.

Yeah I remember that guy, 1 of the reasons why I didn't stick around for long was the way he was handling things as an admin in such a childlike manner. But that jerk did have a point, most Sonic games were developed with the gamecube in mind the PS2 and Xbox versions were just ports.

Man, logging into this old account now is such a nastalgic thing. but its got allot of crap from the old days that doesn't sit well with me now. better do some clean up...

EDIT: Ha! -121,212 posts.

Ahhh, SA.net.

Yeah, like a lot of us here it seems, I have fond, nostalgic memories of the place coupled with painful, annoying drama-filled ones in equal measure. 

As many have said, sadly a number of the staff there were a big problem with the place. Maybe it's just me, but I felt like the staff there (again, not wanting to tar everyone with the same brush, but it certainly felt like the majority) seemed more like a sort of secret/ 'elitist club'- they were the staff, they were better than you, they had power which they could and would abuse, they knew it, and they wanted to make sure you knew it as well. Personal agendas were enforced on everyone irrespective of majority vote and a bunch of the staff could be pretty immature and unprofessional at times (hell, I once got put on moderated posting because I wasn't buying into their lame attempt at an April Fool's joke laugh.png. To quote what they said on the staff forums "It seems he's spoiling our April Fool's joke, what should we do about him?"). The fun thing was that I had an informant 'on the inside' among the staff who would tell me all the shit that was going on behind the scenes (if it was regarding me) in the staff-only forums and IRC. tongue.png Not naming names (it's nobody who's a member here now anyway), but they offered to rather than me asking, anyway.

Staff more often than not seemed to be selected more on how buddy-buddy you were with the other staff and how much the head admin liked you, rather than how active a member or fit for the role you were. 

That's one thing that made SSMB so refreshing when I joined up here- the staff didn't feel like 'staff', if that makes sense- and I mean that in the best possible way. Rather than having an oppressive, dictatorship-led policeforce presence, they feel much more like 'ordinary' members who just happen to have staff powers 'because somebody needs to do it'. You know, as opposed to wagging their proverbial moderative genitals in your face and generally lording it over the mere mortals that us regular members were. tongue.png

But yeah, I met some pretty cool people there, between all the drama. I have very fond memories of posting my Secret Rings parody comic, Rapid and the Onion Rings, there every weekday and getting quite a following for it. smile.png

It's also where I met the guy who would eventually become my first love without me realising it and would then all go horribly to shit (again, somehow before I even realised it), then he got promoted to staff there, meaning the entire staff and boards kind of got caught up in the resulting drama shitstorm. Whoops. laugh.png

http://www.sonicanime.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=6878&st=50

This is one of the main reasons why I thought Kevin was an awesome Admin. He was honest, truthful, and really cared about everyone being treated equal on there.

Which by the way, ESPECIALLY helped, considering the fact that for me and a few others, we were looked down upon for liking Chris Thorndyke in Sonic X. Matt Thorndark was my biggest enemy on there at the time in 2005, and Matt and I had several HUGE arguments on the forums because of it. Typing this as we speak makes me miss 2005 more and more. :P

Now that I think of it, every topic that revolved around character popularity turned into a huge flame war and would eventually be locked after like 20 posts. XD

Oh Wolf's Rain, I remember you. XD

Yep SA.net was the next forum I moved to after TSSZ didn't go too well, and I know people from there who are still here on SSMB (Kevin, Verte, JezMM). There were mostly good times to be had for me since I never got into trouble with the Admins or mods, thank God. It was nice chatting about Sonic X, the newest season and I used to frequent the off topic quite a bit too. I think it's after season 2 ended and ShtH came out that I stopped going to the forum. I sort of lost interest, I noticed I wasn't too keen on the Admins there except for Kevin and there wasn't much activity. That's when I moved to SSMB!

Btw, I think joining SA.net was my first introduction to Sonadow and yaoi. Not knowing what it was (only 14!) I accidentally clicked on a Sonadow link and yuck yuck yuck! ><

Not to stir the pot, but I already have a good idea of who you're referring to, and agree.

In order to avoid any sort of interpersonal conflicts and to clear the air, I'm going to say right now that my original post was a lighthearted joke directed entirely at myself.  It was not a personal stab directed at any other member of the SA.net staff, nor do I condone using such harsh words to describe anyone there or anywhere else.  Just thought I'd make that clear.