Awoo.

Sly Cooper Movie / TV Series

T-Min

This is coming from someone who is not an avid fan of Sly Cooper at all, so feel free to disregard.

But I love the look of this movie.  The writing seems pretty good and I honestly think the character models look very well done.  The scenery and colors are beautiful.  I really want to see more.

• Thumbs Up 6

I honestly think the character models look pretty good... Better than the games honestly. Sly is a great series but I really don't dig the character design that much. They have a real distinct style here, stands out from any other films out there. I like.

Murray's design is hot garbage, Bentley has a decent look but appears too turtle-like (there used to be more cartoony characteristics to him it seemed like), and Sly looks okay but seems off(the pants mainly).

I'm on the fence about this. I don't especially care about Ratchet and Clank as a movie but Sly was like my favorite Sony series, so I'm sort of defensive about it in that regard.

I think the thing so weird about Bentley here is the glasses. Most of the time we never actually see his eyes(at least so clearly), so this is pretty different to see. I do like his overall look tough. Along with Sly. I just hope the rest of the characters are done justice...

• Thumbs Up 1

As some pointed out, he could just be a stand-in. So even now, it's not impossible that his old voice actor could still be in the film.

If not, though, I'd say they found a decent replacement.

As some pointed out, he could just be a stand-in. So even now, it's not impossible that his old voice actor could still be in the film.

If not, though, I'd say they found a decent replacement.

I agree. Though I would like to have the actual voice, I think this one still works for the character well enough. 

I just find it hilariously ironic Sony's credit rating has been downgraded to "Junk" given that they have three confirmed video game movies and two possible video game movies.

Comments have been gleaned regarding the designs and stuff from Sony itself. Basically they decided CG would be better than cel-shading for a film.

There's no word on what's going on with Kevin Miller but he said on his Facebook he's doing an episode of his show regarding the movie tomorrow. Here's hoping!

Wow, first Ratchet gets the movie treatment and now Sly? Thats just awesome biggrin.png; the series is just perfect for a animated film or cartoon with its colorful cast and really great looking worlds. They even did the character models right....more or less (Murry looks really odd....maybe his model isn't finished?) with Sly looking great and Bentley looking the most fathful to his video game counterpart.

The humor is there too and just like the Ratchet film, Sony and Sucker Punch (maybe Sanzaru as well as they made Sly 4 and all) are there giving the film makers input and advice on how to make the movie great. They even got the guy behind the 2007 GCI TMNT movie (people my hate it but I thought it was a great film....despite it's rushed story) to make this, so I have a lot hope that this will do well :).

I wonder if they are going to make a Jak and Daxter film, as then they will have a GCI film every year along with the idea of a huge cross over between the three being to good to pass up (or not; it looks like each film will have radically different styles making things look like a mess :().

I'm not at all familiar with Sly Cooper, and pretty much skipped those games when I got my PS2 in 2003 (though I have no idea why), but from the trailer, I think this actually looks pretty cool. The designs look fine and well suited for animation; it feels unique, and not like a "Dreamworks" or "Pixar" style film, which is a plus (though the general public probably can't tell the difference). It's interesting seeing films like this come to theaters, so I am going to be curious about how it goes over when it's released two years from now. And if Kevin Munroe is involved, we can count on it being entertaining, if nothing else (I have my issues with the 2007 TMNT film, but I actually liked it).

Maybe, just maybe, this could actually set a precedent for a Sonic film being decent and entertaining.

The tweaked character designs will take some time to get used to (oh, poor, poor Murray), but other than that, it looks like the charm of the games is perfectly intact, and the animation is fluid and delightful. I am wondering about Kevin Miller, though. I mean, the main three Sly voice actors are just regular Sucker Punch employees, aren't they? Maybe he moved on to new things?

In any event, they're sure on a roll with video game movies, aren't they? Are we looking at some sort of video game movie renaissance, perhaps?

I'm not at all familiar with Sly Cooper, and pretty much skipped those games when I got my PS2 in 2003 (though I have no idea why), but from the trailer, I think this actually looks pretty cool. The designs look fine and well suited for animation; it feels unique, and not like a "Dreamworks" or "Pixar" style film, which is a plus (though the general public probably can't tell the difference). It's interesting seeing films like this come to theaters, so I am going to be curious about how it goes over when it's released two years from now. And if Kevin Munroe is involved, we can count on it being entertaining, if nothing else (I have my issues with the 2007 TMNT film, but I actually liked it).

Maybe, just maybe, this could actually set a precedent for a Sonic film being decent and entertaining.

How is that a plus? Dreamworks, Pixar, and Disney all have unique styles to their animation. They have had some of the best animated films to come out in decades.

How is that a plus? Dreamworks, Pixar, and Disney all have unique styles to their animation. They have had some of the best animated films to come out in decades.

It's a plus because it doesn't look either house? I can tell the difference between Dreamworks and Pixar fine, and that wasn't a knock against either studio, but I like the idea of this film looking unique and not like a standard animated film we've grown accustomed to from either studio. Another studio with its own style in the mix making theatrical animation is just what this industry needs right now.

whoa that Murray redesign is super creepy. I can't say whether or not I'm excited for this yet.

It's a plus because it's not just trying to be a Pixar, Disney,Dreamworks Ripoff, it's trying to be it's own thing, not a simple cash-in from video game based movies after Wreck-It Ralph using a famous name.

I actually like the designs a lot, while Ratchet's style does fit his adventures and for that reason their movie stays really close to said style, Sly always had a plot with big potential, if the movie is going to use said potential, the cartoony style wouldn't fit, plus, Im pretty sure the models used on the games wouldn't match well with a movie, and not just cutscenes... Though I'd expect them to instead of going full CGI actually make the movie cartoon-style like most of the cutscenes, so I'm surprised with the CGI.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't even play sly games But this does look interesting. sly looks weird though.

The animation looks pretty nice to me.

It's a plus because it doesn't look either house? I can tell the difference between Dreamworks and Pixar fine, and that wasn't a knock against either studio, but I like the idea of this film looking unique and not like a standard animated film we've grown accustomed to from either studio. Another studio with its own style in the mix making theatrical animation is just what this industry needs right now.

Was just wondering because the way it was phrased made it seem to me like a poke at the studios for being indistinguishable between one another. My mistake.

It's a plus because it's not just trying to be a Pixar, Disney,Dreamworks Ripoff, it's trying to be it's own thing, not a simple cash-in from video game based movies after Wreck-It Ralph using a famous name.

I actually like the designs a lot, while Ratchet's style does fit his adventures and for that reason their movie stays really close to said style, Sly always had a plot with big potential, if the movie is going to use said potential, the cartoony style wouldn't fit, plus, Im pretty sure the models used on the games wouldn't match well with a movie, and not just cutscenes... Though I'd expect them to instead of going full CGI actually make the movie cartoon-style like most of the cutscenes, so I'm surprised with the CGI.

Oh please, I think you overestimate how famous Wreck It Ralph is.

Throwing out where you can hear the podcast Kevin Miller co-hosts. It's been two months since the last podcast so you can tell this Sly movie one is extra special.

I guess tomorrow is a day to look forward to - we'll presumably find out whether or not he will be reprising his role as Sly or if he's moved on. Given that he's hardly a big name actor I'd find it very strange if he did leave of his own accord, however. I guess tomorrow will have all mysteries revealed!

Ya know, since this seems to be a retelling of Sly 1, Dimitri fans might likely be out of luck. Maybe.

The designs are one thing, and I'll let them slide on the more realistic looking locales, but I can only hope they stay true to the order of events. Lord knows screwing that up will likely have Sly fans flipping even more of their shit over this after seeing just Murray alone.

• Thumbs Up 1

Reporting in on some news from the Facebook.

Hey Gang. This is Justin and I would like to ask you guys to choose your words carefully in reacting to the fact that Kevin wasn't asked to be in the movie. To be honest I have not had a chance to speak with Kevin about it but I believe comments like "You better have an explanation why they didn't pull you into the film" might not be the tone you are looking for. Shelby I am not mad at you at all. It is the same thing that I spoke about in regards to Ryan on past episodes. I think i know what you mean and it is not represented in the words. That statements puts it on Kevin and he is not the one to demand an answer from.

So please tread lightly and control your emotions and words as a courtesy to my friend who has been so open and interactive with you all.

Again this is not a statement from Kevin this is Justin Worsham looking at some of the things being said about his dearest friend who he has not had a chance to speak with about this issue. Also this news is not the reason we were not able to record as you can see Kevin planned to talk about it tonight. We will get around to it as soon as possible.

Please remember he is a person with a family and life outside of video games and this podcast.

In short be the hero of your own game. Do what they would do in such a situation. - Justin

To recap: Kevin Miller is NOT going to be voicing Sly in the game. The podcast has been rescheduled for other reasons, though.

Shame, overall. I wonder what happened? If it were an entire cast shift I could understand but... it's really surreal to not hear Kevin Miller as Sly.

Ya know, since this seems to be a retelling of Sly 1, Dimitri fans might likely be out of luck. Maybe.

The designs are one thing, and I'll let them slide on the more realistic looking locales, but I can only hope they stay true to the order of events. Lord knows screwing that up will likely have Sly fans flipping even more of their shit over this after seeing just Murray alone.

If it was a retelling of Sly 1, then they'd have got it wrong already; Murray didn't gain his bravado and muscle status until Sly 2.

If it was a retelling of Sly 1, then they'd have got it wrong already; Murray didn't gain his bravado and muscle status until Sly 2.

Considering they've already taken creative liberties as it is, I hardly think that really matters in the long run over how they're going to retell the order of the story events in Sly 1.

• Thumbs Up 1

So I guess that this new Sly voice is going to be the voice of Sly from now on? Eh, could be worse. Still prefer Kevin Miller though. 

On the Sly 2 elements in Sly 1 discussion: we have to remember this is the same team making the Ratchet film, which is primarily Ratchet 1 but also has elements of 2 and 3 in it. I presume the same liberties will be taken with this, with elements of Sly 2 and 3 thrown in.

I do hope this does well, and not just because I want to see Tennessee Kid Cooper on the big screen.

So I guess that this new Sly voice is going to be the voice of Sly from now on? Eh, could be worse. Still prefer Kevin Miller though. 

In all likelihood. It seems weird they'd get everyone but him, but it's sounding more and more like Kevin Miller basically got the Ryan Drummond treatment for this. I do hope that unlike SEGA with Ryan, Sony or whoever was courteous enough to tell him that he's no longer the voice.

...but then that makes me wonder why he'd be terminated. I presume costs; I wouldn't be surprised if the new guy is much cheaper due to more work, similar to how Roger Craig Smith gets paid barely anything for Sonic since he has so many other roles.

It's sad to see him go overall. sad.png

As somebody who has never played any of the sly games(always wanted to) I think the movie looks awesome. Is it just me or is Bentleys design look like Donatello's look from the 2012 tmnt show?