Awoo.

Sly Cooper Movie / TV Series

T-Min

As somebody who has never played any of the sly games(always wanted to) I think the movie looks awesome. Is it just me or is Bentleys design look like Donatello's look from the 2012 tmnt show?

I see a resemblance.

Wait...I never thought of it until now, but he and Donny would get along pretty well.

Some more good news. The Facebook posted an update that the cast has NOT been finalised after all; they acknowledge the HUGE support Kevin Miller is getting for the role.

They are saying they simply cannot confirm who will be in it, but I'm definitely voicing my support for Kevin.

• Thumbs Up 3

There's the official post on the Facebook page, I suppose. I think they can see there's a LOT of fan demand for Kevin in the role, so I'm hopeful they'll take that into consideration.

Please know, the cast of the Sly Cooper movie has not been finalized. Though we are fans of Kevin Miller's work, as well as all those who were part of the great Sly Cooper games, we cannot comment on who will be in the film at this time. We greatly appreciate everyone's comments and support for Sly Cooper, and will make sure to keep this all in mind as we enter production.

The statement in full.

Kevin Miller's response found in what Oglivie posted:

https://www.facebook.com/SlyCooperMovie/posts/204015043139442?comment_id=382003&offset=0&total_comments=168

This is THEKevinMiller writing and I just want everyone to know I'm in full support of this project whether I'm the voice of everyone's favorite Master of All Thieves or not. If you've followed any of my social medias you'll know I'm equal parts "voice of Sly" and "fanboy for Sly." For over a decade I've dreamed of our Ringtail breaking into other mediums and I'm down right thrilled to see this happening. 

In short; I'm stoked.

I always liked when a voice actor had emotional attachment to a franchise they're working with and don't just see it as a gig.

As memory serves actors tend to feel uncomfortable when viewing their own work, so if that's true for him as well, maybe he'll be able to enjoy the film in full since he won't be hearing his own voice. XD

We can hope he still gets the role, but at least he's okay either way. :)

• Thumbs Up 3

Movies like these that take a beloved franchise and transcribes it into another form of media always make me unbelievably nervous, because as far as I'm concerned there are only two outcomes: surprisingly good or incredibly awful. It just makes me extremely anxious to find out which it will be. I have the same feelings towards that new Sonic TV series that was announced a while back. 

The film looks like it's heading in the right direction (besides that Murray model), but it's still far too early to tell.

That the film is supervised by Sony and Sucker Punch is what really gives me hope about this, overall. I presume that means the writing team from the games can give its input, which will likely help to keep the film both comedic and true to its roots.

Oh goodie, so despite the liberty in character designs, we can at least be certain that those behind it aren't going to screw this up too much...right?

Either way, I'm curious to see what Clockwerk and Carmelita look like. Me want some eye-candy of dat vixen, mang...

I can only presume Sony's been vetting this from the start, so yes. I'm sure they're running decent quality control on the animation and writing, so I wouldn't worry too much.

It is most definitely going to be interesting to see how all the various designs come along...

• Thumbs Up 1

So Kevin Miller put up the podcast!

Long story short, while he says he was naturally bummed out to not get the role and would have been honored if he did, he has no hard feelings. He and his friend alike both think this is a business move - they want the movie to do well with a mainstream audience and so need name recognition, which he confesses he just doesn't have outside the fanbase.

Perfectly understandable from that perspective! But, as the podcast's start put it, Miller will always be THE Sly Cooper. tongue.png

Kevin also said there's reason to be hopeful: if the movie does well, there's a strong likelihood some sort of TV series would also be launched. A-List actors (i.e. whoever does the voice in the movie) don't usually want to do a TV series or are too expensive, so that means...

Oh, also, he didn't get the Ryan Drummond treatment. One of the key Sony folks actually called Kevin up a week before the trailer's release to tell about the film and that unfortunately, Sly was being recast. It's nice that he was given notice of that, at least!

• Thumbs Up 1

Well at least he didn't say he was outright done with the role, there's always the chance he'll come back in a game, or like you said, a TV series. 

I've never played a game in this series. I'll keep my eye on this movie and fan reactions of it to see if it ends up being a halfway decent entry point for it.

Never fun to hear a voice associated with a character is uninvolved with a major project, tho it probably wouldn't effect my viewing too much, I like Ian James Corlett.

TV series?! I'm kinda happy and kinda down about it because it obviously won't be the same compared to a more interactive game where you're taking most of the control. On the plus side tho, this'll definitely boost awareness of the series if all goes well and Sly can go from simply being a video game franchise to a multimedia one, and what kind of fan wouldn't want that? Sly can join big shots like Sonic and Mario as far as getting his face more recognized! Plus there's a shortage of animate cartoons that can hold my interest, so this outweighs the lack of a Sly 5 if all goes well. Also, glad Sony didn't pull a dick move on Kevin like Sonic Team/SEGA did Ryan. Sony's really making me look forward to a lot of things.

Nothing confirmed, but he did say that the trend is very successful movies in the CGI genre often produce a cartoon spinoff... and indeed, he's right. Since Sony seems to be building a media empire as of late, why not push into TV shows with their new profits?

That they could promote the cartoon in game manuals just makes it even stronger.

Movie of game #1, TV show of new adventures,  movie of game #2, more TV show adventures etc. Plus, merchandising out the ass.

I would certainly hope. Sly and Ratchet don't have that much in terms of merchandise from what I can see, sadly. A few figures and small plushes here or there but NOTHING compared to what SEGA gets for Sonic. Even though Ratchet is probably just as relevant as a platformer and doesn't have a crap reputation on top of it.

Well this'll bring me closer to a Sly or Carmelita statue if they manage to merchandise it more.

Now I'm hoping that Sony eventually gets in touch with First 4 Figures.

I'm hopeful! I doubt it costs Sony anything since they're not the ones actually making it, so they should definitely consider it... the good news is the fact their credit's utter crap won't mean anything in this case.

Now I'm hoping that Sony eventually gets in touch with First 4 Figures.

Or the Nendoroid folks, who did those amazing poseable Sonic and Samus figures.

Or the Nendoroid folks, who did those amazing poseable Sonic and Samus figures.

If we're going for posable, I'd rather Play-Arts Kai take a crack at that.

Then again, I'm more comfortable with a non-poseable statue. Either one's fine tho.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I look at it, Murray's design for the film strongly resembles this piece of Sly 4 art:

Murray+paintover+notes_paul+sullivan.jpg

Hmm, interesting observation!

It makes me wonder if they took looks at all the concept art over the years while making the movie... if Sony's folks are involved with this one as they are with Ratchet, it would make plenty of sense.

I'm guessing the film, much like Sonic Boom for Sonic, is trying to appeal to a wider audience to draw in new people, and I guess the alterations here and there are part of it.