Awoo.

Sly Cooper Movie / TV Series

T-Min

I'm pretty pumped for this movie. The trailer seems to have the humor of the games spot-on. But the character models are… going to take some getting used to. I mean, c'mon, Murray's design has basically been degraded to "fat-as-hell slob", and that makes me really sad. But like I said, I am really excited overall.

Apart from Murray's design, there isn't anything about the film in general at this early stage that I don't like. The heist to steal donuts is perhaps the narrowest end of the wedge, hopefully. I like the Top Cat movie but I don't really want a big bad trying to take over the world with evil suppressive robots, putting Inspector Carmelita Fox out of a job, much like the plot of the Top Cat movie (with Officer Dibble instead).

I'm glad to see a change in style. The comic artwork style is OK for games but it simply wouldn't look great on the big screen. Cartoony CG I can abide. Nice to see a bit of fluff on our favourite raccoon at last, and until a friend actually told me, I was none the wiser on who was Sly's VA.

• 3 months later...

Possibly hinting at what's to come, movie director Kevin Munroe drew this image, which was uploaded to the Sly Cooper film's Facebook page today.

1596782_249847691889510_1690344659480352

Now. Let us all continuity geek over the fact Bentley is depicted as being in a wheelchair in his youth. XD

• Thumbs Up 1

Did I not post about the movie in this topic? I don't think I did. O.O

While I've never played any of the Sly games, I remember seeing adverts for the first game on tv back in the day and I thought it looked really cool. I never got to play the games though, which is a shame cos it seems like a game series I'd like very much (gotta get that HD collection)!

After seeing the movie trailer, besides the CGI looking like your standard CG animation I think it looks very promising. It seems to be close in tone to the games and the character designs, besides Murray, are also fairly close to how they look in the games! It'll be a while before it comes out, but if Ratchet and Clank proves to be a great film when it comes out next year then I'll definitely be looking forward to Sly Cooper!

• 1 year later...

So good news. The movie isn't dead! Can't believe I didn't notice it earlier. In the latest issue of Official PlayStation Magazine UK, there was a massive six page article regarding the Ratchet movie that is releasing, and part of it is a Q&A with the director of Ratchet. One of the questions is "You're directing the Sly Cooper film next. How's that project coming on?"

So the answer was "They're still working out some business stuff, but it stands to be a really fun project. I turned in my most recent story last year as we were wrapping up Ratchet, so now I'm just waiting for it to explode out of the gate".

Which leads to another question. What business stuff is there left to do? Obviously the film rights and such are already handled if a trailer is out, so could it be a potential game tie in? Keep in mind, this is total speculation on my part, so remember that hasn't been confirmed. 

But there you have it, the film is still very much alive, despite it's 2 year gap without information.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well that's good to know then, and given that the Ratchet and Clank Movie do have a video game tie in, I'm sure Sly cooper will be remade. I'm actually genuinely curious to see what they would do that. 

Though one thing that's more curious to me is how are they going to fit all of the first games plot into one movie? Not that the original games plot was to complex or long or anything, but there were five bosses in that game, and does this movie plan on covering them all? If so that's several locations to go to, wouldn't some of them be a little rushed or something? 

Good to hear! I'm guessing it's coming out next year then?

Wonder if Sanzaru is making the movie tie-in game or...Sucker Punch! I don't think the latter has been working on anything since Infamous Second Son.

• 11 months later...

Chicken arise, arise chicken! Or raccoon, rather, but Aqua Teen Hunger Force references. Anyway, a reason for necromancy.

"It seems the same" you may say.

Oho, but it isn't. The original trailer was deleted, this one reuploaded and...

The "Breaking Into Theaters in 2016" is gone, replaced with "The Movie."

So what does it mean? Well, at a minimum, it means that the film is still on, which is consistent with what fans who talked to Rainmaker in recent weeks found out.

But if we're lucky, perhaps it means more. It could mean we'll get an actual release date announced at some point this year, possibly around E3. Now, my money's on the actual film being released next year at the earliest, but who knows. There's also the other possibility: another Sly Cooper game. The question is if it would be a tie-in to this one (as happened with the Ratchet film), or a sequel to Thieves in Time's cliffhanger.

A tie-in could be the gaming equivalent of an atomic bomb, however; if Sony decides to reboot the franchise, it would have a much easier time with this brand than with Ratchet.

• Thumbs Up 6

Did they change Murray's look to be more in line with the games? He looks much more palatable in this trailer than in the first one, although I must admit I've not seen that one since it happened. I do recall becoming quite upset about Murray's look then though.

And yes, a new trailer should mean it's still coming - it's just taking a bit longer than we had initially hoped.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...

This fellow here has tied together a bunch of loose strings that indicate Sly fans, perhaps in general, perhaps just those interested in the film, might finally be able to quench their thirst for something more.

First, the largest and most dramatic reveal. Brad Foxhoven, CEO of Blockade, the company behind the film, posted this the other day.

Noteworthy: other than a reply here or there, he hasn't used his Twitter for almost a year. The way he drops this indicates that news is likely somewhere in the pipeline. It figures he'd drop it just a month before E3, right?

Now, on to the more loose strings that could add up to something, or nothing at all, as discussed in the video.

1. Bluepoint has confirmed they are remaking a Sony classic, but has not disclosed what it is just yet. It is possible that it is Sly Cooper, especially in light of the gradual changes regarding the film's development.

2. Kevin Miller, the voice of Sly Cooper, has lately been leaving replies to Kevin Munroe (writer and director of Sly Cooper)'s Instagram posts. It could just be for fun, but it could also indicate they've been getting to know each other a lot more closely as part of a professional relationship (compare Mike Pollock and Roger Craig Smith's closer relationship after Sonic Boom changed the way the voice work was done). I'm sure we all remember Miller's distinct voice missing from the original teaser was very upsetting to many.

3. The numerous Sucker Punch Sly Cooper posts over the past year and the new official Sly plush indicate there's at least some push towards Sly Cooper marketing, possibly helping build momentum for a grand reveal.

I'm personally highly optimistic this means we're getting news of some sort at E3. It is very odd the guy would just drop a Tweet like that if there wasn't something big right around the corner.

Is it bad that I'm more hopeful for a remake of Sly 1 bringing it more in line with Sly 2/3 rather than the movie itself?

I don't see the problem with it at least. They did it for Ratchet and Clank, so I wouldn't put the idea past me.

I'm more interested in a Sly 5 myself, but that's a tall order already. Lol

Given the film is apparently going to retell the first game's plot, as opposed to merging the trilogy like the Ratchet film did, I think it's a safe assumption they will remake the first game.

As the guy suggested in the video, though, I hope to God it isn't a lazy tie in that reduces the reason for buying either. No reused cutscenes, etc.

If they make a game, I think the one thing I won't legitimately get used to is the art style. The Sly series has always had this unique and cool comic-book cel-shaded art style that made the worlds pop out and just made things pretty damn cool to explore. From areas like the Contessa's Gothic hideouts to Dimitri's nightclubs, a lot of them were just so damn unique and fun to explore. I'm not liking the fact that we'll almost definitely be getting the remake's designs of the characters rather than the excellent Thieves in Time designs and that kind of sucks IMO, because the movie designs just kind of scream generic CG kids film animals to me.

Alright so I've been chewing on a metaphorical pencil here debating what I should do next, but given there's no real guarantee of news any time soon (unlike say with Sonic), I suppose I should go forward. In absence of any real meat to discuss over, I think this is okay.

Okay. So. If you watched that video, you probably saw the screencap of a conversation with a person working on the film who said they might go for the small screen before the big screen. Easily a joke right?

imageproxy.php?img=&key=46c696365fb79b2f

PKhl9Ve.png

Well, this happened.

Of course, this should be taken with a grain of salt, as no official source has mentioned it yet. However, let me give the key reason I give this some benefit of the doubt: Verona is the admin of a dedicated Sly Cooper fansite, and with thousands of watchers, she's tantamount to a news outlet given her Sly Cooper fanaticism. It's not entirely out there that she would be given a loose string of information, if not the whole cloth. After all, we've seen official sources confirm movies and such with little else besides that fact alone. We've seen official sources give some amount of information to fansites with varying levels of blackout. We're only 3 weeks away from Sony's E3 press conference, so it would explain a willingness to divulge something like that, presumably with the assumption that few people who aren't avid fans would hear about it, so it doesn't "spoil" any conference surprise.

Again, it's not confirmed yet, so don't get your hopes up. Just know it's not entirely farfetched either given they already have models, concept art, etc. and may have decided a series would be a cheaper alternative to build up enthusiasm for a film. It would also provide an excuse to bring back Kevin Miller as Sly, which was one complaint many fans had. It likewise explains the canning of Kevin Munroe as director for the film; if there is no film, there is no need for a film director.

So. In the interest of shifting this from rumor into actual discussion. How would you all feel about this if it was true? Or about a Sly Cooper show in general? Do you think it's a better option than a film, or?

I personally think it's probably a good idea. Of the Playstation 2 trio, Sly is the little guy of the pack, behind Jak and Ratchet. While popular enough, the fact he has the least games of all three, and the gaps between them, indicate it would be extremely risky to go for a big screen reboot, especially if there's no game released beforehand to rejuvenate the fanbase.

A shift towards a less expensive medium, furthermore, means there's no reason to hire bigger name actors, so Kevin Miller can return as Sly. That would be a huge plus for me. The games already play like animated story arcs, with the "Sly Cooper in:" intros and animated cutscenes, so a TV series might actually fit.

My assumption is they will use the movie designs for any show and go full CGI, basically creating Sly Boom. I understand many are going to be iffy on the designs, but Sly's film design has grown on me. I'm still headscratching at Murray, however.

I'm just curious how they will distribute it. Disney? Netflix? Nick? I guess it really boils down to tone. Never mind that any affiliation with Disney is statistically proven to lead to being devoured by it.

A feature film being a huge expense and the Ratchet film having been underwhelming despite a much larger, more active fanbase, I think it is best for Sly's future beyond video games to try an animated series before a full film.

On 5/14/2017 at 6:49 AM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Is it bad that I'm more hopeful for a remake of Sly 1 bringing it more in line with Sly 2/3 rather than the movie itself?

Yes, because 1 is way better than 2 and 3.

• Thumbs Up 1

If they do tackle the whole trilogy, I'm hoping we get more development on things like Clockwerk's backstory (How did he make himself a robot if he's been around since the Ice Age?), Bentley's injury (According to concept art, this new universe has him starting out in a wheelchair), and making the new recruits in 3 more relevant.

And if they ever get to Thieves in Time, I hope they actually resolve the cliffhanger and...

Spoiler

make Penelope not turn into a horribly-written character for an extremely flimsy, contrived reason.

Didn't the Ratchet and Clank movie pretty much bomb? Honestly, as much as I love Sly, he's far lesser-known than Ratchet, so I don't see him faring much better on the big screen.

A TV show would be great, though. I'm all for that idea.

14 hours ago, Marcello said:

Yes, because 1 is way better than 2 and 3.

Thank you for saying what I was too afraid to. Thought I was the only human being alive who felt that way.

• Thumbs Up 1

Brad Foxhoven has confirmed that we will be getting news sometime within the month.

He's also said it won't be at E3.

He was probed about the TV show rumor but didn't give a specific answer, as one would expect. I'd wager someone leaked the info but it's so generic that it can't be traced back to whoever leaked it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hopefully, if all goes well, this'll help the brand grow.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/14/2017 at 2:13 PM, Lord Liquir (Ogilvie) said:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-06-14-playstation-and-technicolor-working-on-sly-cooper-tv-series

Sly Cooper cartoon series is officially confirmed! Details seem scarce other than who's making and distributing it, so we'll need to wait on a formal release date.

Sly-Cooper-post2-620x496.jpg

Move over, Sonic Boom.

Funny, you should mention that last part since Technicolor is the same animation studio doing Boom.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 06/14/2017 at 1:13 PM, Lord Liquir (Ogilvie) said:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-06-14-playstation-and-technicolor-working-on-sly-cooper-tv-series

Sly Cooper cartoon series is officially confirmed! Details seem scarce other than who's making and distributing it, so we'll need to wait on a formal release date.

Sly-Cooper-post2-620x496.jpg

Move over, Sonic Boom.

What fresh hell is this. Honestly I'd prefer  animated series in the style on that short that had came on Nick. Lord carmelita  whew lord ?

Sly-Cooper-Movie.png

It's the movie design, although slightly tweaked it looks like.

I presume they're keeping Bentley and Murray's models, but we need to wait for a formal TV trailer, teaser, whatever to know for sure.