Awoo.

Newbie suggestion

Uraraka

I had an Idea to help people recognize and be more welcoming to new members.

I was thinking, what if there was a Newbie label, Ya know, you have the sonic SSMB member label, so If we had one that said newbie that changed automatically after a certain number of posts, people would know they were new. That way, people can be nicer to the newbie, and if I miss seeing the name of a new member at the bottom of the page, I can say hi to them and welcome them after that smile.png.

I made an image... but it looks bad sad.png.  I am not trying to make a joke here, but I lack technology, so here is a picture of what I am more or less talking about :

members_zps499d6ab8.jpg

Sorry for the bad image quality....  It is the best I can do with MS paint sad.png. By all means, if you like the Idea, don't use this picture!

• Thumbs Up 9

I don't think this is a good idea, new members can feel slightly nervous as it is without having a sign that reads 'I'm new.'

• Thumbs Up 3

Well, not all members make lots of posts, so it could be a bit weird if someone who is not new at all would be a "newbie" because they don't make many posts. 

But I do think it's cool you thought of this.

EDIT: I also agree with everyone else on new members feeling nervous about it.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah I'm with everyone else on saying we should make them feel normal and welcome instead of labeling them as new. Especially since I've seen some new members get disillusioned by people on here and leave on bitter terms after joining up and saying something along the lines of "Hi, I'm new here! I love Sonic and I look forward to talking about him! :D".

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm in agreement with everyone else, mainly because I feel this would have an unintended effect. We're a somewhat clique-y community, so newbies are more likely to get a lot of stereotyping from the old guard on the sole fact of being new. Thus I'm uncomfortable with using a banner to essentially single them out and make them even more ripe for hazing. Our new members should be on par with everyone else from the outset, their compatibility with the community only limited by how positive their attitude is. If you want to welcome people, just make it a habit of checking the bottom of the forum for new faces. x3

• Thumbs Up 7

Well, I'm a newbie. But I wouldn't like to be browsing around with a banner on my profile that said "Newbie" on it. I was always uncomfortable on other forums that did that. Stereotyping DID happen, and from what I've seen so far the members here are great at NOT stereotyping. I wouldn't want to see that happen just because someone had "Newbie" slapped on their profile. 

• Thumbs Up 6

If such a usergroup were to be introduced here (be it a lower tier one [totem pole] or a higher tier one) it would only serve to increase the moderation workload. I'd be considerably worried about the lower tier groups being looked down upon simply because of pixels. Nobody wants to be labelled like that and I'd rather not contribute to it; a member here should be at an equal footing to others, not judged from the moment they join.

Despite my planning last year to incorporate a higher tier group for members allowing for some additional functionality, I ended up scrapping the idea (for just these reasons) and added all of the functions into the current member group instead. Profile backgrounds, for instance.

• Thumbs Up 5

I thought it was great idea because when I was new once. :) I was picked on for not knowing the rules and things. :( And if they know I was new, they would of been more nice and considerate. It would help make them feel better. :) You can make them feel welcome here. :) I would say change it to certain amount of time rather then number of posts. You could try 2 to 4 weeks. I think that I am one of the few that likes the idea than. :( Anyway like that it's an Amy picture! :)

• Thumbs Up 2

The issue with that is that it definitely doesn't take someone 2-4 weeks to figure out how things work on a forum. And trust me, most people will not end up being nice and considerate about it. Instead, they would probably say things like "Oh, a newbie. I should have known", which would make the new member feel terrible. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it should be introduced. How else can we know who to pick on? ...

I mean welcome and help integrate into the forum. ph34r.png

To be serious, though, I don't think there should be much reason for it. It shouldn't matter whether someone is new or not, we shouldn't be dicks about them accidentally breaking rules or in general.

• Thumbs Up 5

Generally, couldn't we kinda look at the post count and know if they're new?

As mentioned earlier, some people have been here for years and don't post a lot.  Others have been here less than a year and have a great amount of posts.  Either way, it says on their profile card when they joined, soooo yeah.  It's not exactly hard to see when someone is new.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm not sure about that. I was on a forum once, and I was on a 'newbie' level, and that made me really uncomfortable and I think some members had a preference of looking down on newbies. As much as I like your opinions, Knuxgirl, I'm afraid it wouldn't end well if that suggestion took action. :(

• Thumbs Up 2

The issue with that is that it definitely doesn't take someone 2-4 weeks to figure out how things work on a forum. And trust me, most people will not end up being nice and considerate about it. Instead, they would probably say things like "Oh, a newbie. I should have known", which would make the new member feel terrible.

It could take somebody 2 to 4 weeks if they are on less than. It will help give them enough time to adjust. I am sure they would have rules warning against making fun of new members. You make it sound like most people are cruel mean people.

• Thumbs Up 2

It could take somebody 2 to 4 weeks if they are on less than. It will help give them enough time to adjust. I am sure they would have rules warning against making fun of new members. You make it sound like most people are cruel mean people.

We do have a rule about making fun of new members.

It's the same rule for not making fun of anyone. =/

• Thumbs Up 6

Sorry, I hope no one is offended, as I wasn't trying to segregate anyone :(.

I can see all your guys points. It is true that there is that Idea that people may bully or be mean and scare new users away..and i certainly don't want that.

I hope I wasn't offensive.. sorry :(

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry, I hope no one is offended, as I wasn't trying to segregate anyone sad.png.

I can see all your guys points. It is true that there is that Idea that people may bully or be mean and scare new users away..and i certainly don't want that.

I hope I wasn't offensive.. sorry sad.png

Don't be so paranoid.  Most of us disagreed, but we knew your heart was in the right place.  There was no offense made! <3

• Thumbs Up 6

I love the thought of the idea :) But yeah I am gonna have to agree with the others. Of course with that said, new or not, everyone should be treated with respect. That is something I can agree on :)

• Thumbs Up 1

If such a usergroup were to be introduced here (be it a lower tier one [totem pole] or a higher tier one) it would only serve to increase the moderation workload. I'd be considerably worried about the lower tier groups being looked down upon simply because of pixels. Nobody wants to be labelled like that and I'd rather not contribute to it; a member here should be at an equal footing to others, not judged from the moment they join.

Despite my planning last year to incorporate a higher tier group for members allowing for some additional functionality, I ended up scrapping the idea (for just these reasons) and added all of the functions into the current member group instead. Profile backgrounds, for instance.

Is that why Super Saiyan Moderators don't exist anymore? because I really liked that banner. :\

Is that why Super Saiyan Moderators don't exist anymore? because I really liked that banner. :\

Our staff groups have little to do with the member group allocation. That group was used for the introductory moderation phase and did actually return for a second run.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry, I hope no one is offended, as I wasn't trying to segregate anyone :(. I can see all your guys points. It is true that there is that Idea that people may bully or be mean and scare new users away..and i certainly don't want that. I hope I wasn't offensive.. sorry :(

No they only sound like they disagreed with you. It was nice suggestion. :) I know you are like me not wanting to offend anybody and making sure you not offend anybody. :( To me it sounds like nobody was offended here. :) They did respectfully disagreed with you. By the way don't let it stop you from being you! B)

• Thumbs Up 3

Our staff groups have little to do with the member group allocation. That group was used for the introductory moderation phase and did actually return for a second run.

Oh okay, so it'll show up from time to time then. alright cool! smile.png