Awoo.

Sonic Runn..er wait... "SSMB YOU CREATED A TIME PARADOX!"

Badnik Mechanic

Killing the contract early?No such thing. The contract never said they couldn't advertise non-exclusive Sonic games.

[/comes through the door late to the party once again]

Well, this is interesting. Good to see the series is still gonna be multiplatform after all. I'd actually be more excited than I currently am, but 2015 is like, forever away. I'll probably be more hyped once we're closer to 2015 or a teaser's shown. The news about a movie is cool too, though I hope it's not Boom related, if it is, ah well.

• Thumbs Up 4

Killing the contract early?No such thing. The contract never said they couldn't advertise non-exclusive Sonic games.

I meant as in they're not renewing it, and this confirms it way ahead of time. Nintendo still gets its third game, but if this is true and not an error, this is a clear "Yeah we're done with you" move. There's no waiting until after the third game comes out and then finding out Sonic's going multiplat again - the third game isn't even out and SEGA's not planning on extensions.

There was lots of speculation that SEGA would renew the contract given that oft-quoted "Sonic's audience is on Nintendo" statistic. Seems like the Nintendo audience isn't as profitable as was anticipated, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

I meant as in they're not renewing it, and this confirms it way ahead of time. Nintendo still gets its third game, but if this is true and not an error, this is a clear "Yeah we're done with you" move. There's no waiting until after the third game comes out and then finding out Sonic's going multiplat again - the third game isn't even out and SEGA's not planning on extensions.

There was lots of speculation that SEGA would renew the contract given that oft-quoted "Sonic's audience is on Nintendo" statistic. Seems like the Nintendo audience isn't as profitable as was anticipated, though.

It's probably just them finding out that their audience is children, not specifically Nintendo owners. 

Sonic will sell where the children are, be it Playstation, Nintendo, or Xbox.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's probably just them finding out that their audience is children, not specifically Nintendo owners. 

Sonic will sell where the children are, be it Playstation, Nintendo, or Xbox.

Indeed. The Nintendo move received a lot of praise from the Nintendo fanbase (obviously), but it sounds like it wasn't as good a business move as was expected, and SEGA is acknowledging this. Sony has a fair platformer line too, even if they tend to be a tad more mature by Sonic standards, but I think Sonic can fit in good on Playstation as well.

Well after that 3rd exclusive, it might be in SEGA's best interest to just stay the fuck away from exclusivity, 'lest it be absolutely necessary, from now on when it comes to the console games.

The main redeeming feature about console exclusiveness for the recent games is that they could be built with Nintendo's hardware in mind, boht in terms of graphics and gameplay. Multiplatforms have that as a drawback as the technology can vary widely.

I think that just means when making multiplatform games SEGA should avoid features that might be a pain in the ass to port, however.

Sega could do the best of both worlds and just build all games on Wii U and port up to PS4 and Xbox One, that way it's easier than worrying about changing so much for Wii U if they port down or have the Wii U version be very different altogether ala Unleashed.

That right there can be much cheaper financially, as I'd highly assume ground-up PS4 and Xbox One games would be much more expensive to make, but ports to them won't be nearly as expensive.

And that way they can use some of the saved money to make sure all three versions are highly polished.

Just a thought though.

True, and I'm not completely against exclusivity myself, so long as it makes sense (which Square is severely lacking at the moment, but that's for another thread).

The partnership guarantees three exclusive titles exclusive to Nintendo hardware.

Nowhere does the press release say that these three games will be released in consecutive order, nor does it specify what console. If they wanted, they could probably release a 3DS eShop port of Sonic Spinball called "Sonic Spinball 3D" to legally fulfill their part of the deal.

On the original blog-post it says that the next three games will be Nintendo exclusive, but you're right about them not specifying which console. Could be Wii U or 3DS.

182b096c7d3c92a567173c45f15893ea.png

I'll repeat what I said before, I just think the 2015 game listing is for a game after the one we're getting this year which could potentially be on either Wii U or 3DS. I doubt it's a slip up due to them "leaking" Gens stuff before.

I think it really is as was mentioned - the multiplat game got mention over the 2014 title simply to build up more hype. It seems the Nintendo exclusivity isn't really much of a hype generator, so of course they're not mentioning that.

This just makes me wonder when SEGA will mention ANYTHING about the 2015 title, though. This thread's going to be loosely dangling for a while I presume, unless it's released in early 2015, given that we don't even have any juice on their 2014 game yet.

If I gave Sega enough credit, I'd assume they purposely let this go ahead just to make our mouths water in anticipation for the next year and a half.

But, probably not. I'm just amazed if SEGA gave them clearance to add that to a public sign - I can't remember the last time a Sonic game was confirmed that far in advance.

I'd expect a Sumo title this year, personally, given they've followed the 2-years apart model for 3 games now.

I just ponder if it will be another racing game or some other sort of spinoff.

Whatever it is I'm sure it will be awesome if the same brains that made the two racing games are working on it.

It also fits the pattern of often having a spinoff in between two main titles...

Well, at least this can finally put those "Nintendo owning Sonic" fears to rest.

Tho there's nothing really to get hyped about as far as I'm concerned.

Well, at least this can finally put those "Nintendo owning Sonic" fears to rest.

Tho there's nothing really to get hyped about as far as I'm concerned.

Indeed. It was to be expected that there'd be a 2015 game - there's a Sonic game every year. Sometimes more than one.

The only really groundbreaking news is that it's multiplatform. Understandable... when you have games that can easily sell hundreds of thousands of copies (if not millions) on average and fall so short... I don't blame them for deciding well in advance the deal's not being renewed.

I think the third exclusive isn't there not because of building hype or anything, but because Nintendo has full control on revealing things about it.

I think the third exclusive will be by the Generations team, while the 2015 game will be either something akin to Colors (By the same team) or the next Sumo game. I think the actually big multi-platform Sonic game will have to wait until his 25th anniversary.

I am hopeful the 2015 game isn't too big. A five year milestone is usually fairly symbolic, an important number like 25 even more so, so I'd hope they save anything that's really good for 2016.

My exact reaction to this news:

J3eim5m.jpg

Yeah. You see the little flag right before "country" in my profile? That means I'll never play this game. Goddamnit. But it's nice to see that SEGA is taking more time before releasing another main game. I wonder what this year will bring. Sonic 3 & Knuckles Remastered? Can't get excited here too, 'coz it's probably going to be another mobile exclusive...

• Thumbs Up 1

J3eim5m.jpg

Yeah. You see the little flag right before "country" in my profile? That means I'll never play this game. Goddamnit.

The PS4 isn't available in Brazil? What about Wii U and Xbox One?

Yeah. You see the little flag right before "country" in my profile? That means I'll never play this game. Goddamnit. But it's nice to see that SEGA is taking more time before releasing another main game, I thought we would see that in 2014 already.

Generations, ASR, ASRT etc were all touted as console games during production. With all of them but especially with Generations, a PC port was never confirmed or shown off until the absolute last minute and had a slightly later release, all this despite the fact that the PC versions would have had to have been in development for quite some time. If and when Sonic games do go back to being multiplatform, you'd probably do better to expect a PC version than not. So there's that, hopefully.

Also wow this topic has 13 pages. 13 pages of nothing :P

• Thumbs Up 1

The PS4 isn't available in Brazil? What about Wii U and Xbox One?

No, Brazil is the joke of the internet regarding the next-gen consoles' price. It's the highest in the world.

That's a fair point. I just hope that if there's another PC game they don't miss out on DLC.

Lost World's DLC content may not be massive but it does give me hope SEGA won't miss opportunities if they arise again.

Also wow this topic has 13 pages. 13 pages of nothing tongue.png

After the disappointment that was Lost World, the fanbase is clearly interested to see if they have something that could make up for it... never mind I remember a HUGE portion of folks here weren't happy at Nintendo exclusivity back when it was announced, so the fact the third game is the last one to feature such is a huge plus for many people.