Awoo.

Sonic Runn..er wait... "SSMB YOU CREATED A TIME PARADOX!"

Badnik Mechanic

Heroes had the Triangle Jump. You could use that to run on walls and jump from one to another.

Where is this source that states that Parkour will be dropped? Actual physical present proof would be nice.

They said they would bring it back in future games if it was well received. It wasn't received well though, so that confirms it. And I'm pretty sure Iizuka said they didn't plan to have it in the next game.

This is from Summer Of Sonic I think, or Boom.

Neither Summer of Sonic or Sonic Boom have happened since Lost World's launch. He can't be confirming stuff before it happens.

Neither Summer of Sonic or Sonic Boom have happened since Lost World's launch. He can't be confirming stuff before it happens.

I meant SOS last year. He said it would return if received well.

Yes, but to go from there to "it's confirmed it won't return" is a leap of your own mind. As far as we know he'll say "We'll just make it more like the 3DS version", or even not mention it at all- I figure their idea of "this wasn't received well, remove" is "this caused an outcry like 06 or Shadow", not "there were some complaints it was slow and clunky".

And for the love of god can we just stop this 2.5D bullshit altogether? I can handle a purely 2D or 3D game, but the way ST's been mixing the two it feels like they're detracting focus from one another, and I'm honestly getting sick of it.

"Mixing the two" is pushing it with Colors and Generations as the 2.5D gameplay took the lion's share of gameplay in those games.

Most of Colors "3D" were just mostly empty hallways that are usually automated in most cases (and in the cases they aren't, they usually last up to one minute at most) in what I'd argue comprises of 10% of the entire game.

At least 20%-25% of modern Sonic's gameplay in Generations is 2.5D gameplay, usually stuck within the middle of the level (excluding Planet Wisp, which started out with a brief 3D segment in the environment and then switched to a 2D perspective for the rest of the level). No need to cover Classic Sonic as level transitions aside, his gameplay was pure 2.5D.

Ever since Colors I feel 2.5D gameplay has been used by Sonic Team as a crutch to make up for the shafted amounts amounts of 3D gameplay and I likewise do wish they would just stop. If they want to make 2.5D levels, they (by themselves) should make a strictly 2D game.

Though I will give some credit to Lost World for actually having more 3D levels (that being regular planetoid/open levels and the "underground" cylinder levels) than both pure 2D levels and levels that mix the two (which include levels that are in a 2D perspective but with a boss on a 3D planetoid level). So I guess that's a step forward. (Overall tally I counted (including the Hidden World and the three DLC levels) were 16 3D levels, 9 2D levels, and 10 levels of both, with at least 5 of them having a majority of 2D sections and the other half having a majority of 3D sections)

They'll work from the Parkour. Two or three games to develop formula, change. They've been doing it since 1991.

Highly doubt it. Sonic Team only keeps things people/critics like. Fishing? Never seen again after SA1. Guns? Never seen again after SHtH. Werehog? Never seen again outside of Unleashed. Hell, it's the reason we've only had Sonic since Secret Rings (Black Knight aside); critics hated Sonic's friends (especially in 06, a game that people refuse to let Sega forget), so they're afraid to death of putting them back in.

Contrary-wise, look at the boost. People loved it, so it stayed around for three games. Look at wisps. People loved them, so they were shoved into Lost World arbitrarily and Iizuka said he wants them to be a series staple, so unless he changed his mind after this game, they're sticking around. Look at how critics responded to Sonic being the only playable character and the lighthearted story in Colors. Since then, minimal story, Sonic only.

See a pattern? With all this in mind, then, why would they decide to keep the parkour when history shows that when people reject a mechanic with such hatred, they freak out and do the exact opposite in hopes that it'll fix everything?

• Thumbs Up 2

Because the critical response to it wasn't "such hatred", especially not on the level of the guns, fishing, or Werehog? If anything I saw more complaining about the levels- the clumsy parkour was generally seen as not a bad idea, but not used to its full potential either.

You want to fit the pattern? Tunnel levels are gone. Gimmick levels are gone. Graphical art style is gone. Parkour, adapted, continues.

Eh, I'm not convinced. If they do keep the parkour, especially if they drop the tunnel and gimmick levels, I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I don't have high hopes.

The sad thing about this though is the fact that most critics never even mentioned the parkour in there reviews (just needlessly going on about the mario comparisons and how it doesn't go fast enough) so I don't know what sega could possibly take from all of this when most of the reviews never even really pointed out the good and bad in this game instead of just jumping straight at the bad (at least from the popular review sites anyway).

I meant SOS last year. He said it would return if received well.

I'd still like to actually SEE this. Regardless, by those accounts, the parkour still has a shot for return. Not like the hyperbole of the majority, let alone everyone hating it is true anyway.

Heroes had the Triangle Jump. You could use that to run on walls and jump from one to another.

Actually I think triangle jump could only be used to for wall jumping not running and it really only worked in certain sections.

I think the fact that sonic team is constantly limiting things like this to designated areas is a real crutch. Lost world began to more closely integrate but to do that it sacrificed the usual flow that a sonic game has and made the entire thing about moving in straight lines.

I think it would be great to see parkour that is as well integrated as mirrors edge. NO  "Hold this button to enter parkour mode then press A to o a wall jump"If you are close to a wall sonic will naturally run and jump of it without losing momentum.

Also I know this may sound like some crazy blasphemy, but what if sonic actually let us use that other thumbstick?Even crazier what if it could control a tight camera that actually worked? I think it could obliterate on rails level design and give a sense of control sonic never had.

Sorry if he idea is to out there I've probably just watched the hover trailer to much.

You could run short distances on the walls. Espio could even stick to them and run as long as he wanted if I remember correctly.

Yeah it was limited, but it's still pretty similar to what Lost World later did.

You could run short distances on the walls. Espio could even stick to them and run as long as he wanted if I remember correctly.

Yeah it was limited, but it's still pretty similar to what Lost World later did.

Actually that was shadow the hedgehog where you could do that (the wall RUNNING part) in sonic heroes they just jumped from wall to wall (your right about the espio thing though).

Huh. I could've sworn running along the walls to place your jumps better was necessary in a later level like Mystic Mansion or something. It's been a while, I guess laugh.png

Case in point, Lost World's so called "parkour" is little more than the wall jumping abilities of past games, as flaw of both the level design and the very way that it was implemented. Lost World has a number of good ideas (and plenty of bad ones), all executed pretty poorly. As others have said, anything carried over from that game should be conceptual only.

Huh. I could've sworn running along the walls to place your jumps better was necessary in a later level like Mystic Mansion or something. It's been a while, I guess laugh.png

There's some areas where it's necessary in ShTH, and in Cryptic Castle wall-running will help you a bit. Maybe that's where you got mixed up?

With the 25th anniversary coming in 2016, i doubt we'll see a main series title in 2015. I'm banking on a new Sonic Riders.

With the 25th anniversary coming in 2016, i doubt we'll see a main series title in 2015. I'm banking on a new Sonic Riders.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the best case scenario for 2015 would be a SUMO game, imo. It'll give ST enough time to work on Sonic '16 to wow us with their new attempts at SEGASonic.

If it's a new All-stars racing game i hope SUMO will finally listen to the fans by making Rouge playable by putting in characters they want and stop favoring STEAM and PC users.

If it's a new All-stars racing game i hope SUMO will finally listen to the fans by making Rouge playable by putting in characters they want and stop favoring STEAM and PC users.

Nah, the ball's entirely in Sega's court on that one. They're not Sumo's IP's, after all, and for their credit, they've done quite a fantastic job with the Sega fanservice and love.

• Thumbs Up 2

The blame for that goes to SEGA not SUMO.

Yeah I'm seriously hoping Sumo will actually release DLC content for all platforms instead of just PC. And hopefully less questionable downloadable character decisions too!

...I'm looking at you SEGA.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I'm seriously hoping Sumo will actually release DLC content for all platforms instead of just PC. And hopefully less questionable downloadable character decisions too!

Have you always been this edgy?

I must concur.

It's obnoxious that the PC version gets all the love and none of the others do.

I know the excuse that's used is "porting is expensive." No, no it is not. It might be somewhat tedious... but it's hardly expensive. If indie games with almost no budget can do it, there is no reason a company with billions of dollars cannot.

I've said that numerous times in the past... and I always will say it, because it remains true. If the DLC is going to be PC exclusive... make the game PC exclusive entirely.

It would be like if Lost World was multiplatform and all the DLC only was for Wii U.

• Thumbs Up 4