Awoo.

Sonic Runn..er wait... "SSMB YOU CREATED A TIME PARADOX!"

Badnik Mechanic

Actually, the press has referred to them as exclusives.

Nope. Read it again. Exclusive partnership doesn't equal exclusive titles.

The press release NEVER said the 3 Sonic games are a Nintendo exclusive. It just says Nintendo platforms will be the #1 place for Sonic for the next three titles. While the first two are exclusives, the third may not be.

I argue that point of clarification would had been made it in the official press statement then, and if that was the case again I argue Lost World (console ver. anyway) would had been multiplatform rather than Wii U exclusive. Even if they gave the Wii U the benefit of the doubt that the game would sell well on it despite it struggling in selling units, there was no way Sega would had ignored the PS4(/Xbone) pre-release hype that was surrounding those consoles when making their decision.

Also that makes no sense from a strategical standpoint. Nintendo makes a deal to publish three Sonic games (which was stated in the official press statement by Sega themselves on their official blog, hence why everyone has identified them as exclusives-had it been "publishing priorities" Nintendo/Sega would had clarified their announcement as that long ago. The press also identified only the Wii U and 3DS systems-no PS4 or Xbox platforms or the possibility of Sonic being released on such platforms with Nintendo versions of those games getting some sort of special priorities/benefits were mentioned) but the last one gets to go multiplatform with no clarified compensation (i.e. additional levels, exclusive DLC, early release date, etc.) for that whatsoever? Even having the system developed primarily for Wii U first matters little if it's ported to two competing systems that the game would inarguably sell more copies on anyway?

In addition I'd like to note that I didn't outright say I think the panel was false. I said I had my doubts that it was official or that the panel got some official information misinterpreted or incorrect.

Like others have said, we're all just speculating at this point.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nintendo makes a deal to get exclusive publishing rights to three Sonic games (which was stated in the official press statement by Sega themselves on their official blog, hence why everyone has identified them as exclusives-had it been "publishing priorities" Nintendo/Sega would had clarified their announcement as that long ago) but the last one gets to go multiplatform with no clarified compensation (i.e. additional levels, exclusive DLC, early release date, etc.) for that whatsoever? Even having the system developed primarily for Wii U first matters little if it's ported to two competing systems that the game would inarguably sell more copies on anyway?

The link you posted doesn't say anywhere that Nintendo gets to publish the games. However Nintendo has been publishing Lost World for Sega only in Europe. Elsewhere Sega had to publish their own game.

So I'd assume more than anything that either the third "exclusive" is just a third game with Wii U-exclusive content (hopefully not on the same scale as Rayman Legends..), or a different game altogether. And if it's the latter, then I guess with the 2015 Sonic confirmed for a multiplatform release, it's a given that it's a spinoff title and not a mainstream game.

I argue that point of clarification would had been made it in the official press statement then, and if that was the case again I argue Lost World (console ver. anyway) would had been multiplatform rather than Wii U exclusive. Even if they gave the Wii U the benefit of the doubt that the game would sell well on it despite it struggling in selling units, there was no way Sega would had ignored the PS4(/Xbone) pre-release hype that was surrounding those consoles when making their decision.

Also that makes no sense from a strategical standpoint. Nintendo makes a deal to publish three Sonic games (which was stated in the official press statement by Sega themselves on their official blog, hence why everyone has identified them as exclusives-had it been "publishing priorities" Nintendo/Sega would had clarified their announcement as that long ago. The press also identified only the Wii U and 3DS systems-no PS4 or Xbox platforms or the possibility of Sonic being released on such platforms with Nintendo versions of those games getting some sort of special priorities/benefits were mentioned) but the last one gets to go multiplatform with no clarified compensation (i.e. additional levels, exclusive DLC, early release date, etc.) for that whatsoever? Even having the system developed primarily for Wii U first matters little if it's ported to two competing systems that the game would inarguably sell more copies on anyway?

In addition I'd like to note that I didn't outright say I think the panel was false. I said I had my doubts that it was official or that the panel got some official information misinterpreted or incorrect.

Like others have said, we're all just speculating at this point.

The link you posted doesn't say anywhere that Nintendo gets to publish the games. However Nintendo has been publishing Lost World for Sega only in Europe. Elsewhere Sega had to publish their own game.

However, this quote from that post

“Sonic the Hedgehog has performed incredibly well on Nintendo platforms and this exclusive partnership is a natural fit for the next evolution of Sonic games” commented Jurgen Post COO SEGA Europe Ltd. “The Wii U and Nintendo 3DS are ideal platforms to showcase Sonic and we are looking forward to working with Nintendo on these three exciting adventures.”

Makes it seem like the games were all being developed WITH the COOPERATION of nintendo, which makes it seem as if they should ONLY be on nintendo platforms, but hey thats me

However, this quote from that post

Makes it seem like the games were all being developed WITH the COOPERATION of nintendo, which makes it seem as if they should ONLY be on nintendo platforms, but hey thats me

Ah, I missed out the important part. A representative from Sega Europe had said that, and I told you earlier that Nintendo only published Lost World for European regions.

Was editing it when you posted your response, hence why that section was crossed out.

Wasn't it confirmed that the third game would come out this year though? :/

Yes, There was a tidbit about it being delayed from 2013 into 2014.

Nope. Read it again. Exclusive partnership doesn't equal exclusive titles.

Take your pick of press releases. This one begs to differ as well. http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/49721/three-sonic-games-coming-exclusively-to-nintendo-consoles/

Three Sonic games coming exclusively to Nintendo consoles What is the mystery third title?
Posted by Thomas East on 17th May 2013 at 15:18

Sega has confirmed that three Sonic games will be released exclusively for Nintendo consoles as part of the partnership.

Yes, There was a tidbit about it being delayed from 2013 into 2014. Take your pick of press releases. This one begs to differ as well. http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/49721/three-sonic-games-coming-exclusively-to-nintendo-consoles/
Um, how can I explain it. ONM said the three Sonic games are exclusives, but using the quotes from the Sega Blog to back it up, which technically does not say the three games are exclusive.

Um, how can I explain it. ONM said the three Sonic games are exclusives, but using the quotes from the Sega Blog to back it up, which technically does not say the three games are exclusive.

Forgive me if I'm not swayed by it supposedly not saying that in one source despite including the term exclusive while everywhere else has reported it explicitly to be exclusive.

Though I do still wonder what that 3rd exclusive will be.

Great news to come home from work to. I should definitely have an Xbox One and/or PS4 by then. 

Forgive me if I'm not swayed by it supposedly not saying that in one source despite including the term exclusive while everywhere else has reported it explicitly to be exclusive. Though I do still wonder what that 3rd exclusive will be.
Well those people/bloggers/news editors were like us at first, when we all thought that means 3 game exclusive. But sadly none of us really examined it well 'til now. I'm not saying the third game won't be an exclusive. It can be. But at the same time, it may not be either. Until Sega confirms themselves that this deal means 3 exclusive titles, we don't know. But all I know is PS4/XONE will finally get a Sonic title next year.

Just wondering, does a timed exclusive count as exclusive? Maybe the third exclusive will be released early 2015 for Wii u and then later on in the year for ps4/xbone users? Giving them more time to upgrade the graphics slightly?

Well those people were like us at first, when we all thought that means 3 game exclusive. But sadly none of us really examined it well 'til now. I'm not saying the third game won't be an exclusive. It can be. But at the same time, it may not be either.

Until Sega confirms themselves that this deal means 3 exclusive titles, we don't know.

SEGA already has confirmed the exclusivity deal. If there's anything they need to confirm it's news that they've slipped out of the deal with Nintendo or they need to confirm your theory that wording that particular source you've presented does not mean they are bound to exclusivity despite all talk saying otherwise. Besides, considering how the media took, it SEGA would have clarified such a case by now.

So currently the question remains: what is the 3rd exclusive title going to be?

The only reason I feel like there's a Sonic game coming out exclusive to Wii U is that we haven't seen a spin-off title in a while. Mario & Sonic is developed by SEGA Sports and not Sonic Team AFAIK so that doesn't count. Well, and the fact that the partnership may also mean an exclusive title instead of the Wii U being the main platform.

Bottomline, 'till SEGA themselves confirm otherwise, they are still bound to the exclusivity deal.

Hmmmm, so idea time, what about a Sonic the Fighters sequel from the Virtua Fighter team? a little left field I know, but you never know ;)

Bottomline, 'till SEGA themselves confirm otherwise, they are still bound to the exclusivity deal.

I do not understand you. What 'exclusivity' deal? Exclusive partnership I agree on because it clearly says so on the press release. Three exclusive games? Nowhere. And as I said before exclusive partnership does not equal exclusive games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 1

Partnership, deal, agreement, etc; all have been terms used to describe the duration of time under which three Sonic titles will be exclusive to Nintendo platforms.

So, yeah, 'lest SEGA says otherwise, the third Nintendo exclusive is still coming our way as far as we know.

Partnership, deal, agreement, etc; all have been terms used to describe the duration of time under which three Sonic titles will be exclusive to Nintendo platforms.

...no it doesn't. Making deals or partnerships doesn't always mean the games are full time exclusives at all. Microsoft and Activision do partnerships all the time with CoD. Does that mean CoD is exclusive to Xbox?

...no it doesn't. Making deals or partnerships doesn't always mean the games are full time exclusives at all. Microsoft and Activision do partnerships all the time with CoD. Does that mean CoD is exclusive to Xbox?

No, but it does certainly get them exclusive content at times.

This partnership was reported to apply for the next three Sonic games. Three Nintendo platform exclusive titles.

And care to try and explain why SEGA wouldn't have clarified this by now if it were the case?

Sorry but I'm still not buying into that theory unless official news confirms it.

No, but it does certainly get them exclusive content at times.

This partnership was reported to apply for the next three Sonic games. Three Nintendo platform exclusive titles.

And care to try and explain why SEGA wouldn't have clarified this by now if it were the case?

Sorry but I'm buying into that theory still.

There exactly. Exclusive content. Say this third game is multiplatform. However the Wii U has exclusive content, no other version has. That still falls under the exclusive partnership.

Again nowhere does it say three exclusive Nintendo titles. So I ask that you stop saying that unless you provide a source from Sega that actually says so.

So are we just tuning out every site that isn't the SEGA blog now?

There exactly. Exclusive content. Say this third game is multiplatform. However the Wii U has exclusive content, no other version has. That still falls under the exclusive partnership.

Again nowhere does it say three exclusive Nintendo titles. So I ask that you stop saying that unless you provide a source from Sega that actually says so.

The Next Sonic Game Is A Nintendo Exclusive [uPDATE 2]

18nyhna7pnjsmjpg.jpg1234ExpandSonic Lost World, the next Sonic game, will launch exclusively on the Wii U and 3DS, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said today in a Nintendo Direct video. It's part of a new Nintendo-Sega partnership.

UPDATE: A Sega press release indicates that this is a three-game deal:

“Sonic the Hedgehog has proven incredibly successful on Nintendo platforms and we are pleased to continue our long-standing relationship with Nintendo,” said John Cheng, President & COO, SEGA of America. “As we initiate this new exclusive partnership with the next three titles we believe that Wii U™ and Nintendo 3DS™ are ideal platforms to showcase the evolution of the Sonic brand.”

UPDATE 2: A rep for Sega says that the newly-announced Mario and Sonic Olympics game and Lost World account for two of the three games in this deal. Nintendo's third exclusive Sonic game has not yet been announced.

Among other tidbits.

If this were the present case, SEGA would have clarified such a long time ago.

• Thumbs Up 3

Why? Maybe part of the deal was that SEGA help to sell the Wii U and 3DS?

1) by providing games

2) by allowing the public to think its "exclusive" ONLY to Wii U and 3DS

There is a heck of a lot of sonic fans out there, if they all bought a Wii U it's numbers would be a lot higher. With legalities wording is VERY and I repeat VERY important, using incorrect wording could allow someone to find a loophole in the contract or whatever. By not stating that the games are/are not nintendo exclusive for 3 games they are allowing consumers to make up their own minds on which console the game will be on. They don't HAVE to tell the consumer untill near the release date. It's actually very clever marketing. SEGA wouldn't be lying as they wouldn't have stated that they were/were not exclusive and Nintendo would have gotten some sales from those wanting the Sonic games. If the "third exclusive" is this new one then they will indeed be getting all 3 promised games, just that the other consoles will get that one too.