Awoo.

Sonic Runn..er wait... "SSMB YOU CREATED A TIME PARADOX!"

Badnik Mechanic

Except, both of SEGA and Nintendo have at points, referred to the games as exclusives, so the wording can't be used as a loophole 'lest they be sued for false advertising.

• Thumbs Up 2

So are we justtuning out every site that isn't the SEGA blog now?

Among other tidbits.

If this were the present case, SEGA would have clarified such a long time ago.

“Sonic the Hedgehog has proven incredibly successful on Nintendo platforms and we are pleased to continue our long-standing relationship with Nintendo,” said John Cheng, President & COO, SEGA of America. “As we initiate this new exclusive partnership with the next three titles we believe that Wii U™ and Nintendo 3DS™ are ideal platforms to showcase the evolution of the Sonic brand.”

“Sonic the Hedgehog has performed incredibly well on Nintendo platforms and this exclusive partnership is a natural fit for the next evolution of Sonic games” commented Jurgen Post COO SEGA Europe Ltd.  “The Wii U and Nintendo 3DS are ideal platforms to showcase Sonic and we are looking forward to working with Nintendo on these three exciting adventures.”

lol I find this funny as these two quotes are almost exactly the same...

Anyway they don't *have* to clarify. Look at what Ubisoft is doing with Watch_Dogs Wii U. Companies don't have to clarify anything, until they are ready to announce.

And all I'm seeing from that article is:

• Sonic Lost World was announced
  • Lost World is exclusive to Wii U and 3DS (which it is)
  • An exclusive partnership between Nintendo and Sega has been formed
  • It runs for three games

UPDATE 2: A rep for Sega says that the newly-announced Mario and Sonic Olympics game and Lost World account for two of the three games in this deal. Nintendo's third exclusive Sonic game has not yet been announced.

This isn't quoted. This opens up that the writer may have gotten the wrong idea. For all we know, the Sega rep might have said, "The third Sonic game has not been announced" but because of this exclusive partnership stuff, the Kotaku writer must have jumped to a conclusion that third Sonic game is also an exclusive and wrote that down. We have all jumped to that conclusion at first as well, so I can't blame him.

Anyway they don't *have* to clarify. Look at what Ubisoft is doing with Watch_Dogs Wii U. Companies don't have to clarify anything, until they are ready to announce.

Unlike SEGA, Ubisoft isn't currently in an exclusive partnership deal with Nintendo. SEGA is. And unless there's news from SEGA themselves that suggests otherwise, I'm not buying into this theory that's sprouted from a  sketchy Jazewars chart to begin. This conflict is becoming quite pointless.

• Thumbs Up 3

I can't remember of they only referred to the announced games (lost world and Olympics) as exclusives, I remember them constantly saying that Lost World was exclusive to Wii U. Also you have to remember that online publications and magazines were probably also allowed to make up their own deductions.

I don't particularly mind or know either way, but there could be a few explications.

Edit: it's hardly a conflict, it's a discussion showing that there could be more than one explanation for the "missing" 3rd game

Unlike SEGA, Ubisoft isn't currently in an exclusive partnership deal with Nintendo. SEGA is. 

...so? That doesn't mean Sega is forced to clarify the situation to us because they are in a partnership... and why can't Nintendo have a say on this as well? They are at the other side of the deal...why can't they clarify it to us this deal is a "three game exclusive?"

But anyway, my point still stands that exclusive partnership doesn't equal exclusive games.

...so? That doesn't mean Sega is forced to clarify the situation to us because they are in a partnership... and why can't Nintendo have a say on this as well? They are at the other side of the deal...why can't they clarify it to us this deal is a "three game exclusive?"

But anyway, my point still stands that exclusive partnership doesn't equal exclusive games.

And my point still stands that the partnership called for three Nintendo exclusive Sonic titles.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, that makes a lot of sense.

I'm super excited. Please, no wisps. Please, no side scrolling. I always hated the side scrolling in Generations. 

Hopefully we get more information soon.

• Thumbs Up 1

Multiplatform, eh? Awesome. I'd assume this means it'll be natively developed for Wii U and then up-ported to the other two.

1080p 60fps on PS4 babeh ;)

• Thumbs Up 2

That actually makes sense if  Sega is advertising  thinking in the long run, which is probably true.

if I was trying to show that my Brand was Awesome and Popular I would only show the good parts, not the risky ones.

That's a really good theory Hogfather, and I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case. The third exclusive will more than likely be announced in a Nintendo Direct.

I'm all for the 2015 game being multiplat, my only beef is just Sega going back on what they apparently promised; giving Nintendo fans 3 exclusive games, with 2 already being released.

People obviously have an expectation, they said 3 and we're waiting for it, so it's perfectly fine (and who didn't expect this?) to expect the one following that to be the next multiplat game, know what I mean?

As long as the 3rd exclusive exists and we get it (likely this year, my happy. smile.png

And hey, it's not like Wii U is losing out either way, double happy (trademarking that BTW XD).

Meh I'm expecting another UnleasHeD/UnWiished again, if the Wii U even gets it that is, they may end up dropping it. At least that way I can be surprised if it's the same game but up/downscaled.

Ok... on the whole exclusivity thing.

This is the original press release that was on the Sega blog and released to the media without the usual twist or spin put on it...

To me, this reads. Nintendo are getting 3 exclusive titles on their platforms... platforms being the only ambiguous thing, 3DS? Or Wii U?

Now... why does this sign say 2015 and not the third exclusive game.

Controversial suggestion: Because the Nintendo brand is so poor/unpopular right now... aka the Wii U is doing terribly they don't want it to damage potential sales of the toys.

This sign was spotted at a Toy Fair, at these events buyers go to each booth and place real orders for stores for later in the year. Now say you happen to have a Sonic license, which Jazwares does, you're at a booth being held in Europe and you have a sign saying which basically says 'This license has 3 new games, all on the console that's doing terribly right now in terms of sales and popularity.' 

Do you believe that is going to attract buyers? 

HELL NO! 

However, you say "Well there's a game coming out on the PS4, Xbox One and Wii U" this suddenly changes things, you've not lied, or misold the product, but you've made it sound better, PS4 has sold like crazy, Xbox as a brand is still amazingly popular. It's gonna attract buyers far more than saying Wii U on there. Especially those whose job it is to look at what's popular right now.

This to me, reminds me a lot of last years local council elections here in the UK, the Lib Dems sent out all these leaflets in which they photoshopped out Nick Clegg... because he was so unpopular with voters they felt it would damage their chances if they included him on it... who is Nick Clegg? Oh, just the leader of their political party.

This is what I think has happened. 

Sega must be aware as to how popular consoles are right now, they must also be aware that the more product Jazwares sells, the better for their license it is. So they've provided information about 2015's title, not 2014's.

But wait? How do we know Jazwares didn't make it up.

1: How many times have we heard the phrase 'we need Sega to authorise that.' That sign could not have been displayed had Sega not given the ok. Sega would have had to ok that one if not actually make the sign itself. 

There was a toy fair last year that Meccano went to, on the booth was a sign giving 'facts' about Sonic, the last one was this...

'Sonic fans are extremely loyal and passionate.'

Does that sound like something a Meccano/toy maker had written? Or Sega PR?

2: Jazwares are not making anymore Sonic toys...

This is something which I was going to news along with this announcement... But... there is a lot of evidence to suggest jazwares have lost or are not renewing the Sonic license. Last year they cancelled a lot of products, at the toy fair they showed 2 new items (one is just a repackaged product) and are quoted as saying "We have no plans for new sonic content in 2014."

So why would they promote material for 2015 if they're not making them? 

2.5: The only reason I have not news'd this particular bit is that this toy fair is for the EU market, New York toy fair is coming soon, Jazwares are there, so I'm holding fire until then in case it's just a market/region difference.

3: Sega doesn't always have it's own booth at these things... but they do borrow other peoples.

London Toy Fair this year didn't have a Sega booth, however, Sega were advertising a booth at G46. This was actually Sambro Internationals booth, it had Sega products on it. 

Last years Nuremberg to fair, The Sega booth was Jazwares' booth, they didn't have their own stand, but Sega was there to help Jazwares promote their toot.

This year, Sega didn't have a booth either, but you can bet they supported Jazwares in some way.

TlDr? 

The reason there is no third exclusive on that sign is that the Wii U is doing so badly, so Sega are trying to make Sonic look more popular by advertising the 2015 game as opposed to a Wii U/Nintendo only club.

You're still getting your third Nintendo title, but for this fair, especially since it's Europe, Sega sees the PS4/Xbox One as better names to sell toot.

Now this line of thinking actual makes sense. More than can said for Square possibly skipping Wii U with KH3 , but I digress.

Thanks Hogfather!biggrin.png

But square skipping KH3 on Wii U makes sense...putting it on the Wii U doesn't...but that is for another topic :P

I don't even know what to expect from the 3rd game, I'd like to see Blaze again so maybe a Rush 3? (Hahaicandreamcanti?)

Why is Sonic Lost World and M&S Sochi 2014 listed in the 2014 category as a "new game", even though both clearly came out last year? If one wanted to say it was to keep the game relevant, clearly they would had just made a "2013" section and stuck it there or identified them as the series's "latest" games. There's also the fact that the "first animated CG film" bullet point is in the "New Show" section? I doubt they were using it to refer to the television series as a film, few if any people use that context without clarifying it as such. A lot of oversights in my opinion that I doubt were proofread and released as they were.

Why does this completely disregard the existence of the yet-to-be-announced third Wii U exclusive (unless Sega terminated their Nintendo publishing deal prematurely and made the game multiplatform, which I highly doubt they did)? I'm pretty sure the aforementioned three Sonic games are Nintendo exclusive, doesn't make sense to have the likes of Lost World (worth noting that the console version was started on PC and then moved to the Wii U) rendered permanently Nintendo exclusive, while another Sonic game is developed for the Wii U like Lost World but then goes multiplatform (without a PC version to boot, even though the previous multiplat game -Generations- got a Steam/PC release?). That would imply Sega specifically made Lost World a Nintendo exclusive despite having the ability to give the game PS4/Xbone ports, which I seriously doubt they would had done as by then they would had known of the sheer hype for the PS4 alone (I wouldn't count the Xbone, it had that DRM cancer hanging around it's neck like a noose around that time) had going for it pre-release around that time, as well as the Wii U starting to seriously falter in sales / sitting in drought season.

Why should we consider it official? Just because Jazwares leaked Generations information in the past that turned out to be true doesn't mean lightning will strike twice. Hell, this could be pure speculation on what they know (about Sonic Boom and the registered Sony movie domains) and what they assume will happen in the future (like Sega would really /not/ have a Sonic game for the PS4 and Xbone). When you boil down to it, it doesn't really say anything new other than "oh yeah there's a new Sonic game in the future BTW." Nothing concrete.

Unless this Jazwares panel gets merit to it's information via official release statement from Sega themselves shortly afterwards, consider me /highly/ skeptical that this is legitimate or not without erroneous/misinterpreted/predicted information. A lot of it simply doesn't add up in my opinion.

The partnership guarantees three exclusive titles exclusive to Nintendo hardware.

Nowhere does the press release say that these three games will be released in consecutive order, nor does it specify what console. If they wanted, they could probably release a 3DS eShop port of Sonic Spinball called "Sonic Spinball 3D" to legally fulfill their part of the deal.

But square skipping KH3 on Wii U makes sense...putting it on the Wii U doesn't...but that is for another topic tongue.png

Still more sense in releasing it to its existing Sony and Nintendo audience as opposed to its practically nonexistent Miscrosoft audience. But I digress, that's a discussion for another thread.

Still more sense in releasing it to its existing Sony and Nintendo audience as opposed to its practically nonexistent Miscrosoft audience. But I digress, that's a discussion for another thread.

Porting a PS4 game to Xbox One is simple and cheap.

Porting a PS4 game to Wii U is not simple or cheap.

There's no discussion to be had.

• Thumbs Up 2

Porting a PS4 game to Xbox One is simple and cheap.

Porting a PS4 game to Wii U is not simple or cheap.

There's no discussion to be had.

Actually there is, but it's to be had in a more appropriate thread.

Didn't Sega say they were developing their games on a PC anyways and then ported to Wii U when it came to Lost World? Because technically they're not porting anything from anywhere; its developing a PC game for multiple consoles.

Doesn't that apply to most games anyways? Actually nevermind. Not a topic to discuss in here anyways. :v

Oh man, where to begin!?

So we gotta an upcoming third nintendo exclusive title later this year, the new animated series "Sonic Boom", Sonic is gonna be in Smash 4, a multiplatform title in 2015, and a possible CG film.

This is gonna take some time to sink in.

Fairly certain the Nintendo deal is still active; I'm sure Nintendo was smart enough to get a contract on the subject. So we'll probably get a 2014 game for Nintendo and that's the end of the deal.

I think SEGA's just decided the Nintendo deal isn't in their best interests and so are not renewing it.

Here's what I find peculiar, though. Why are they mentioning a 2015 game, but not a 2014 game?

I can't remember the last time Sonic went a year without a game, if we count spinoffs.

Fairly certain the Nintendo deal is still active; I'm sure Nintendo was smart enough to get a contract on the subject. So we'll probably get a 2014 game for Nintendo and that's the end of the deal.

I think SEGA's just decided the Nintendo deal isn't in their best interests and so are not renewing it.

Here's what I find peculiar, though. Why are they mentioning a 2015 game, but not a 2014 game?

I can't remember the last time Sonic went a year without a game, if we count spinoffs.

Read Hogfather's post from earlier - this is a European event, so it's likely just them hyping up the game people there are actually going to play.

Read Hogfather's post from earlier - this is a European event, so it's likely just them hyping up the game people there are actually going to play.

Wii U did that horribly in Europe, eh?

Suppose that makes sense, then. I think it's pretty easy to see why SEGA's killing the contract so early. They just don't see any prospects staying with Nintendo.

Understandable, given the costs of going multiplatform aren't as high as they're sad to be, I think. If an indie developer can do it for just 3K, I imagine that games with large profit margins would be able to do it easily. I think "lower costs" was nothing in the SEGA decision, so much as ability to build the game around Nintendo's technology as well as any money Nintendo might have subsidised them with.

What sucks about all this I wonder what the 2015 game will be now, though we probably won't hear about it any time soon given we don't even know our 2014 game yet.