Awoo.

Tails and Knuckles' relationship

TearForFear

Aside for the little bit where Tails makes Knuckles' eyes spin like crazy with his techno-bubble in Sonic Riders or when Knuckles tries to scare Tails in Hang Castle in Sonic Heroes, (and probably other moments I don't remember at the moment) we doesn't see them interact with each others very often.

So, assuming the two have to hang out and work together while Sonic is occupied elsewhere, how do you think their relationship will turn out to be?

The only reason we don't really see their relationship is because Sonic exists. And yet the reason they are friends to begin with is because Sonic exists. 

I'm gonna re-watch the OVA and see exactly how they interact over there.

Nice topic! I think they are good friends even when Sonic´s not around. It may not be a deep relationship as in brothers, but I think they get along very well.

Knuckles teasing Tails is actually very cute. I think they care for each other.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, in the Sonic OVA, it showed that Tails and Knuckles can have a reasonable conversation with each other on a serious topic regarding any danger Sonic is currently in. (Yeah, different continuity, but still worth mentioning since they interacted a bit when Sonic went MIA). I can't really think of them interacting in any other sort of media that Sonic has been in... 

I get the feeling that they'll probably just be cool around each other is their ever hanging out, maybe just different conversations about different things.

• Thumbs Up 1

I always saw Knuckles as considering Tails his best friend.  Knuckles and Tails actually spend more time together than Knuckles and Sonic. (however, Tails spends more time with Sonic than Knuckles of course!). I am not sure what the basis is for my thought, but I do know that despite their differences in interest, They still seem to be close friends :).

• Thumbs Up 5

Tails: "Sonic, maybe you can harness the emeralds real power!"

Knuckles: "As much as I hate to admit it, I think Tails is right about this."

What are trying to say Knuckles? P;

I think I read somewhere that Knuckles gets along better with Tails than he does with Sonic. I can't remember where I read it though...

• Thumbs Up 2

Knuckles has no problem with Tails and the same other way around. They both view each other neutral but have became more nice to each other over the years. Knuckles and Tails do interact and work well together. Either way they not hate each other. That is how I see those. Always getting along well together there. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

I could consider them to have a good friendship, but not as deep as the bond between Sonic and Tails. Knuckles has often been considered a bit of a loner so I guess I wouldn't ever think of him being very close to anyone. But then again Sonic, Tails and Knuckles have made a good team so maybe their bond will strengthen in future games. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I kind of imagine Tails and Knuckles being really cool 'hang-out buddies' that can go do stuff and have nice personal discussions, and work smoothly on a team without any fussing and fighting. The stoic and more quiet guy who knows a lot about old things and the chipper, sincere kid who knows a lot about new things, both hanging out semi-regularly... it makes a pretty interesting dynamic. 

Meanwhile, Sonic plays the role of "older brother" / "crazy best friend" to Tails and "sparring rival" / "goof-off bro" to Knuckles so they kind of all fit in well with each other.

• Thumbs Up 1

I kind of like to think that while Knuckles gets easily annoyed by Tails` technobabble, he cares very much about the kid, in a sort of reluctant manner, but still tries to act tough around him to save face...and to one up Sonic. Tails on the other hand, looks up to Knuckles as well, but Knuckles` attitude kind of makes him reluctant to really converse with him at times. And of course, they both share the opinion that Sonic can be an idiot at times and have to bail him out.

• Thumbs Up 1

Tails: "Sonic, maybe you can harness the emeralds real power!"

Knuckles: "As much as I hate to admit it, I think Tails is right about this."

What are trying to say Knuckles? P;

Fun fact, that line is actually a product of awkward/ questionable English translation. 

What the line originally meant to convey in the Japanese script was that Knuckles hates to admit the fact that only Sonic is the one who can do this, not the fact that Tails is right. :lol: Just a really awkward misinterpretation of the original dialogue- both Sonic Adventure games had a handful of those, which made for some really weird lines at times. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Knuckles and Tails would appear to have more of a neutral relationship to be honest. They both are alright with each other, but don't seem to have that super close relationship to each other either. Tails is more close to Sonic due to the big brother like relationship they have, but Tails and Knuckles are both the side kicks that have to deal with the mess Sonic gets into at times. They have a good professional relationship where they are happy to work with each other if they need to do so. They may not be all buddy buddy from the way things seem at times, but they get along well enough to where when it counts they can get the job done. There are plenty of people out there that work well with each other, despite the fact that they may not have much in common or be buddy buddy with each other as well.

They seem fairly close with each other. Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles all must have a good enough relationship to be part of Team Sonic, so I would say Tails and Knuckles are definitely good friends. I always thought Tails maybe looked up to Knuckles a bit, yet feeling a bit intimidated by him, so kind of like the cool older brother thing with Sonic, but to a different degree.

• Thumbs Up 2

Fun fact, that What the line originally meant to convey in the Japanese script was that Knuckles hates to admit the fact that only Sonic is the one who can do this, not the fact that Tails is right. laugh.png

They were both incorrect though, and it's even more jarring because they know Sonic isn't the only one with a Super form. Or did the writers conveniently forget about this;

S3K_Super_Tails.gif

and this?

S3K_Super_Knuckles.gif

They didn't, that and that just isn't considered canon. It was just a bonus element to those who played Sonic and Knuckles docked with Sonic 3.

Except it kind of is canon. Even if it wasn't required for Tails and Knuckles to beat the game, they still have a Super form. Or am I supposed to believe that the two of them have no magical ability whatsoever, and are therefore worthless against a final boss?

... what?

The final boss is fought by Super Sonic. Unless you mean Sonic Heroes, where the cutscene itself shows Sonic imparting his Super-ness into Tails and Knuckles.

Super Tails and Hyper Knuckles (and probably Super Knuckles) are to be considered non-canon extra gameplay elements, like the item boxes.

Even if they didn't canonically use a Super form in S3&K, that doesn't mean they don't have one.

... yes, but that's entering the realm of "nothing says that this thing that's never mentioned isn't canon!", and that's just silly. I mean, nothing says Eggman actually having a black hole in his left toe isn't canon, but is that relevant to anything?

But that's different because we haven't seen anything to suggest that he does. In fact, the lack of objects gravitating toward his left foot makes it very improbable. With Tails and Knuckles, we've actually seen their Super forms, regardless of whether they were used in the official story.

... again, yes, but that doesn't really matter? I'm... ok, it's like arguing Eggman has no toes. We have seen nothing to support that.

I'm not even sure to communicate this. It's like... Hmm.

We're discussing something that fits in a box, let's say. And what you're saying is "but maybe this thing that fits in a completely different box is canon!"

They were both incorrect though, and it's even more jarring because they know Sonic isn't the only one with a Super form. Or did the writers conveniently forget about this;

S3K_Super_Tails.gif

and this?

S3K_Super_Knuckles.gif

I think it's pretty safe to assume that all prior Super forms aside from Sonic (along with all Hyper forms) were canonically retconned out of existence when SA came along, anyway.

Also as others have said, Tails' and Knuckles Super and Hyper forms were always completely optional. 

Iizuka confirmed Hyper forms non-canon at SoS '13. So the Super Emeralds don't exist and technically neither does Super Tails either.

• Thumbs Up 1