Awoo.

Jimquisition "Garme Jurrnalizm!"

Badnik Mechanic

More the fact that he had to be incredibly condescending while doing it. "I don't like this game" and "anybody who likes this game is a horrible person" are two wildly different statements

Sounds like your average Sonic fan to me. 8P

I don't remember him insulting anybody who liked the game in the review itself. I do remember a lot of indignant rage being directed at him for the entire review and subsequent score.

It's not Steam's job to say what deserves to be available on their platform.

Should Aliens vs Colonial Marines be banned from the Xbox 360 and PS3?

Should Rome 2 be allowed to be sold in stores?

Should Sonic 06 not be allowed to be played?

Also, I'm not sure who's buying the trash on the store. Every example he listed became popular because they were crap. If you dislike the game, Steam will offer you a refund. Do your research before buying a game.

It's not Steam's job to say what deserves to be available on their platform.

Should Aliens vs Colonial Marines be banned from the Xbox 360 and PS3?

Should Rome 2 be allowed to be sold in stores?

Should Sonic 06 not be allowed to be played?

Also, I'm not sure who's buying the trash on the store. Every example he listed became popular because they were crap. If you dislike the game, Steam will offer you a refund. Do your research before buying a game.

No but it might be steams job to actually check what is put on the store is done so with the consent of the people who actually made the game.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=99516941&postcount=10

Honestly as far as digital stores and quality control goes I'm kind of stunned that Jim didn't even give a single mention to the iOS appstore, which is an absolute cesspool of crap games, copyright infringement and blatant lies about feature sets - or at the very least claiming these features are free before concealing microtransactions for them. Does that just go without saying now or did he give it a free pass?

It's a good thing I don't impulse buy on Steam much either way, because frankly no matter how you spin it, it shouldn't be my fucking job to do some basic quality assurance and to search the internet for like half an hour to check which reviews are legit. It's bad enough that I can't trust comments and reviews within the client itself anymore because some developers have been caught falsifying positive reviews for their own software.

New episode: "Free To Wait". Jim goes all-out on this one, openly tearing into garbage "free to play" games that force players to wait to do anything unless they play cash (Dungeon Keeper Mobile, Farmville, Simpsons: Tapped Out, etc). That's not to say there aren't games that don't do this waiting thing properly, but those seem to be few and far inbetween, these days. And he unapologeticaly tears into developers who resort to despicable practices. He's seriously angry about this one, folks.

Yeah I saw it last night.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/8773-Free-To-Wait

It was pretty obvious that he was going to do this today, can't really fault his complaints again, just glad it wasn't too focused on Dungeon Keeper and he mentioned the two tier money system which most of these models use.

New episode: "Free To Wait". Jim goes all-out on this one, openly tearing into garbage "free to play" games that force players to wait to do anything unless they play cash (Dungeon Keeper Mobile, Farmville, Simpsons: Tapped Out, etc). That's not to say there aren't games that don't do this waiting thing properly, but those seem to be few and far inbetween, these days. And he unapologeticaly tears into developers who resort to despicable practices. He's seriously angry about this one, folks.

It can be done PROPERLY?

How?

The gist of what Jim said basically amounted to buying purely aesthetic upgrades as opposed to things that benefitted - or in the case of most of the examples he brought up, were a necessity for - general gameplay and progression.

So basically, TF2 and hats.

• 4 months later...

New episode out: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/9516-EA-Ubisoft-A-Cycle-of-Perpetration-and-Apology

EA & Ubisoft: A Cycle of Perpetration and Apology

It's things like this that make me shake my head. People should not be buying into this shit, at least not before these companies fix it. Why buy their games at launch before any controversy or something like that? What's wrong with some patience to see if anything is wrong with the game?

I used to dislike a lot of Jim's opinions when he was with Destructoid, but funnily enough his recent Jimquisition videos have me agreeing with him almost all the time! Especially in the recent video, which proves once again that we should never trust Ubisoft and especially EA. This is why I never buy their games now (pre owned is the way to go), or in the case of Ubisoft I only get "Indie" games like Child of Light or Valiant Hearts.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah! In light of all the Smash news, I totally forgot to add the new Jimqusition episode. 

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/9539-The-Poison-of-Pre-Order-Culture?utm_source=latest&utm_medium=index_carousel&utm_campaign=all

The Poison of Pre-Order Culture

To be honest; I hate the concept of pre-ordering games. Sure, back in the day when games were usually complete by the time they came out and weren't withholding content to pre-orders, it was just fine. But these days companies are trying to desperately sell you on games that aren't even out, and punishing you for waiting, such as this content here. I hate crap like this, and it makes me not want to even touch newer games that pull this crap. 

It's the biggest load of crap and makes me never want to buy any game that does this on release because I know I am just getting a gimped version until the company has made their front loaded profit. 

Actually I found that this week's episode, for the first time in a while, barely resonated with me at all.

This might be because my personal investment in "AAA" games is already a minimum investment, I'm not going to be pre-ordering the grand majority of "AAA" games in general, but I do pre-order a lot of Japanese games, especially ones from franchises I have consistent enjoyment with and generally can trust the quality of. Nintendo, certain Square, Namco and Capcom franchises, I dunno.

Pre-Ordering isn't just for ~special content~ and that's certainly not why I pre-order games. I pre-order games because I get excited for them and want to buy them quickly when they launch, but with a lot of Japanese games, finding them for decent prices can be hard. I pre-order games because finding a good price online and sticking with it is a much better way to save money than walking into a retailer on launch day, all of whom will be selling the game for £60 or something stupid. I don't think Jim takes game prices into consideration enough with this video, he asserts that pre-ordering is only for "making sure you get something like just incase they run out" or for extra content, but he misses the fact that a lot of pre-ordering is done because a lot of online shopping lists much cheaper prices than RRP before launch.

And.. with some Japanese games, it can take forever for a game to drop in price after its launch and sometimes prices even go up, which is why sometimes for a game you're really excited for it's a good idea to price hunt earlier rather than later. Wouldn't want to be one of those poor people who couldn't pick up Xenoblade before it became like $80 :S

So while I respect the idea that pre-ordering (especially in retailers) for AAA games should slow down, I don't think he can realistically expect people to stop pre-ordering when people have different reasons for doing so.

I wish online retailers also started allowing what Target and GameStop does and deposit money bit by bit instead of paying it all upfront.

• 8 months later...

Sometimes, artists remove things they've created and cut content for a variety of reasons. Most of the times, this is creative expression working as it should. Very rarely is it actually censorship. 

Of course, everything looks like censorship when you believe creative expression applies ONLY to the production of content, when it can just as easily refer to the altering - and even removal - of it.

I was wondering how long it would take for that stupid #changethecover fiasco to be mentioned here.

I think an example of censorship isn't the examples mentioned, but moreso the GTA5 Australia bullshit.

I don't even consider the Target incident censorship, because it is within someone's freedom of expression to not sell something as it is in their bounds to do so. Australian players could have gone elsewhere to purchase the game.

In general, I agree wholeheartedly with Jim, particularly with his classification of the issue as "fetishism of the First Amendment" and all of the creepiness such a comparison entails. On the surface, I look upon the general fervor to decry any change or cut to our media as evil, politically-correct censorship that must be combatted for the sake of the artist's integrity in the same way I look at the arguments of Young Earth creationists, in that the outrage tends to fly completely against the way society has worked for quite sometime due to petty philosophical quibbles.

And I say this mainly as an artist, the type of person who you think should appreciate the amount of outrage in my favor, but again, passion coupled with ignorance creeps me out. The way nerds and the Internet have attacked the public's role in shaping and conversing about media is an ironic attack on freedom of expression itself. Everyone has the right to say they don't like something for any reason, and the artist being critqued has options in dealing with it. This dialogue is vital, particularly for fields like gaming where works are created through collaboration, and for nerds and gamers to miss this point splendidly just shows how little they know about the interests and thick skin of the people they supposedly champion. A changed cover or line is the end of the world to one person, and another day in the field as the next.

But to me, this is all fine and dandy if I were to take the outcry against change at face value. And I don't anymore (thanks Gamergate,) because the only time you ever see this shit blow up is when something ultraviolent or ultra-misogynistic is in the crosshairs. People will defend simulated rape and blowing the shit out of people as the real moral battle worth fighting for, and I'm tired of considering what seems obvious to me as "ethics in artistic integrity." Like Jim said, if you want to use a line about fucking the world like a bitch as your rallying cry for fighting censorship, however perceived it is, you're free (that word) to do so. But it's not all that worthy of respect to me.

tl;dr- I wish nerds would stop using my fellow artists as a cover-up to have their morally-depraved expendable entertainment.

• Thumbs Up 5

Videogames are the most modern, and perhaps the most advanced ever, form of artistic expression and freedom of speech. You can do things with the medium that no other artistry can ever hope to convey.

But that doesn't suddenly make it like video games aren't beholden to the same financial burdens as other forms of art.

I've mentioned this before, but even "censorship" as defined by the vast majority of gamers is only as harmful as one's opinion on the laws of supply and demand, even if the motivating factor behind the editing is sociopolitical pressure.  If a social or political group does not approve of something in a work of art, they will make it known (just like we do with our constant gripes about the gameplay and story of cartoon hedgehogs on a daily basis).  From there, that group may decide not to financially support them, which in turn puts pressure on the developers to either edit the content to suit the demographic or leave it as is.  If they decide on the latter and go bankrupt or their piece of art doesn't sell very well, then that choice is entirely on them.  Company A puts out a product that Group B doesn't like; group B doesn't buy it; Company A doesn't make money; Company A changes product so that Group B will like it; Group B likes it and buys it; Company A makes money.  That's not censorship.  That's exactly how all non-communist economies works.

Using "artistic integrity" as a crutch for one's argument is perhaps the worst argument against it.  For one, as mentioned above, it discredits the art form as something not worthy of social criticism when social outreach and conveyance is the literal backbone of all art.  Second, it discredits the art form as inflexible when flexibility is perhaps the most important asset an artist can have.  Art is a tangible form of human expression and as is life, human expressions change.  This is ignoring, of course, that 90% of the time "artistic integrity" is ever used as an argument, it's usually fallacious and inconsistently presented, as Jim mentions in the video, but that's an argument for another day.

Basically, I agree with Jim in that "editing does not automatically equate to censorship," but I feel the need to add on that pressure from sociopolitical groups shouldn't even be a defining factor.  Government intervention is censorship.  Societal threats of violence is censorship to some degree.  Refusing to support something you don't like is not censorship.  As Jim says, you're not obligated to enjoy every edit ever made, but calling it censorship is literally and objectively wrong by very definition of the word, especially when it ignores the very manner in which our economy, as well as our society, works.

• Thumbs Up 5

In light of that, I've decided to merge the two topics.  Please keep all Jimquisition discussions in this thread.

I heard about this on his Twitter yesterday, I'm glad he's made it out ok and hopefully he won't run into anything like that again.

Seems like God still has plans for ol' Jim as expected.

• 2 weeks later...

So here's another addition to the ranks of Kobra Studio and Imminent Uprising/Digital Homicide:

• Thumbs Up 1

Haha, Jim's rant at the end of this video was hilarious. He's totally right too, I've no ideawhat these fools think will happen when they issue him with these strikes, they always come out of it looking like utter bellends.