Awoo.

Jimquisition "Garme Jurrnalizm!"

Badnik Mechanic

Oh Jimmy, here's hoping the fanbase doesn't go angry mob on him lol

• The Sonic fanbase was not yet populated by the scum of the Earth.
  • Tails was fun, and this was before every new game needed another cute forest friend to stain the production with mawkishness. 
Edited by Michael Munroe
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think the funniest thing about the review is how he goes on a tirade about the game after Oil Ocean. Pure unadulterated Jim right there, this is why I love reading his reviews and watching the Jimquisition.

• Thumbs Up 1

Who's going to tell him that Tails was not before that period, because it started in 1992, and only took a break because X-Treme was cancelled. 

I honestly thought Jim wouldn't use those "those" types of "criticisms" for the series, if makes me concerned that he might have said the same things in his video on the series. It is a solid review but these types of generalizations really show that Jim doesn't REALLY know what are the actually issues with the series, I don't hate Jim for it but just dissapointed, I'm was sure he was above this.

*sighs*

• Thumbs Up 2

He has a point about the Sonic fanbase though. If you look at how many people in the fanbase treated him as a pariah due to his opinions on Generations and Colours, it is really damn hard to blame him for that. And nowadays, who doesn't joke about the fanbase? It's a pretty terrible fanbase when you look at it. 

• Thumbs Up 7

He has a point about the Sonic fanbase though. If you look at how many people in the fanbase treated him as a pariah due to his opinions on Generations and Colours, it is really damn hard to blame him for that. And nowadays, who doesn't joke about the fanbase? It's a pretty terrible fanbase when you look at it. 

Sorry, but I feel like I have to come out against this. Sonic fans are frequently one of the most creative and caring fans I've seen. I mean, good Lord, how many charity events have been run by Sonic fans? And I frequently go to sites like here and tumblr where fans are helping other fans in need.

Are there some shitheads in the Sonic fanbase? God, yes, are there ever. It can be one of the most toxic and divisive communities across the internet. But at the same time, I think it's a total crock of shit to sit there and act like the entire fanbase is terrible, because it isn't true.

Sorry, but I feel like I have to come out against this. Sonic fans are frequently one of the most creative and caring fans I've seen. I mean, good Lord, how many charity events have been run by Sonic fans? And I frequently go to sites like here and tumblr where fans are helping other fans in need.

Are there some shitheads in the Sonic fanbase? God, yes, are there ever. It can be one of the most toxic and divisive communities across the internet. But at the same time, I think it's a total crock of shit to sit there and act like the entire fanbase is terrible, because it isn't true.

I kind of feel like a lot of the attention this fanbase gets for being terrible is mostly because its the one more people are familiar with seeing put on the spot. I mean I could go on all day about how the final fantasy fanbase or the legend of zelda fanbase or heck, just any fanbase in general is 10X worse but thats not true because pretty much every fanbase is terrible if you look at the right spots and it honestly baffles me how more people don't realize this (not a shot at you Dog, just kind of how I generally feel about these things).

• Thumbs Up 2

I'd feel inclined to view most of a fanbase pretty negatively if I'm getting emails, and comments on my page were ravenous and super hateful/spiteful. So I don't see why you're criticizing him for not being so forgiving and understanding when he's had negative personal experiences with them. 

And FYI, he wasn't generalizing everyone in the fanbase. He said it was populated. That's different from saying it's nothing but, or only full of.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, in other, less fanbase-related news, Jim talks about the scummy scumminess that is Digital Homocide today. In fact, he even considers them worse than Konami--considering the actions they've done for the past year, I sure wouldn't blame him for this assessment.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah, pretty satisfying episode. Really hope the whole thing with Digital Homicide ends, ideally with them either never making games again or maybe learning their lesson (not holding my breath on that one).

Also it's only after watching the episode and looking at the thumbnail again that I realize why Phoenix is in the thumbnail, with the mention of DH's (supposed) lawyer and all that. Well, that and today's the 10th anniversary of the first Ace Attorney game's NA release date. :P

• Thumbs Up 2

Good episode. It just amusing that how many people are trying to get more copy-paste stuff in Steam and that these people are just so desperately doing that. I hoped that refunds would stop this but that was apparently being too idealistic. And as usual, Valve doesn't do anything, like Atari did in 1983.

And also FucKonami news, so now Konami is the second worst. I personally think that Konami is still the worst because calling Digital homicide (or whatever name they use) "publisher" is giving it too much credit.

Wonder what TPP will hurt more: YouTube or the game industry.:/

this is fucking depressing the world we live in, when corporations are in control and there's almost literally Jack all we can do. And the fact that Disney is one of the huge ones spearheading this makes me even more sad, since I'm a huge Disney fan, and love Square's Kingdom Hearts series to death. 

And prayers be to YouTube. I can only imagine how this will hurt the already fragile ecosystem there.

• Thumbs Up 1

This weeks video:

Overkill has embodied its name when it comes to downloadable content for Payday 2, but its latest shenanigan is possibly the worst. After adding a microtransaction system to the game in an event that promised FREE updates, Payday 2 has become not just a source of community rage, but an exercise in corporate hypocrisy. This is a game I personally championed. I take its recent heel turn personally as well.

• 1 month later...

Great to see that Youtube is finally maybe doing something to protect their content creators against the abusers of the sites copyright system. Hopefully they are really doing something and fast especially because currently we seem to have a new meltdown saga in Youtube.

New Jimquisition on blacklisting 

https://youtu.be/jeL34nbEo8s

honestly this makes me think of what happened with Smash Bros last year. Nintendo NEVER, at least to my knowledge, blacklisted anyone for the leaks that were coming out. People were not mad at the gaming sites that published them. They were a bit ticked off at the leaker himself though, and Nintendo did the responsible thing to do in a situation like that and fired the leaker when he was found out. Honestly, that's how most of these situations should play out. If the press aren't under NDA, they aren't required to wait for you to give the announcement.

• Thumbs Up 1

I dunno... I guess the press technically has a right to leak when they're not under an NDA for it? But at the same time I feel the resulting reaction always suffers for it because the reveal happened in a much more tepid, matter-of-fact atmosphere than was originally planned. It's funny you should point out Smash actually, because it's the perfect case in point on both sides. Cloud came as a huge surprise to everyone, and everyone subsequently lost their shit over it, which is a desirable result for fans and publishers both - but because Ryu had been datamined well in advance and because Shulk and Bowser Jr had been leaked to the internet while the game was still getting its finishing touches, the internet saw that shit coming a mile away and it wasn't in the slightest bit surprising anymore, and much of the hype Nintendo was banking on didn't happen. Journalists were the only parties that won out, and it was at everyone else's expense.

That being said, I feel that circumstances can be pretty important too. Exclusive coverage deals are shitty no matter which way you spin it, so the Borderlands 2 reveal in my eyes deserved to backfire either way. And one thing Jim was absolutely right about is that people who are given coverage rights like review copies and events doesn't mean they're honour-bound to give their games a strictly positive review if they feel it didn't merit one, so blacklisting outlets over it is incredibly petty to the point of being absolutely juvenile. But there's a certain magic to being exposed to something for the first time in an environment in which the publishers and developers have hand-crafted to generate the most excitement they can out of it, and at some point journalists really should learn to ask themselves whether their readers would prefer to be spoiled in advance by plain text and maybe a blurry photo still if they're lucky. It's a balancing act, to be sure.

• Thumbs Up 3

The press really wouldn't be harming much though. Again with Smash, the leaks were already spreading like wildfire before they even got wind of them. The fanbase knew way ahead of bigger sites, so I'm not seeing how them posting them is at anyone's expense. Especially if they spoiler tag it. Blacklisting because you couldn't keep under wraps your project and announce the thing when you wanted just comes off badly to me. Its like if you saw a Christmas present of yours early, and were now cutoff from celebrating with your family.

It's no secret the industry has wanted to control the media and what is and isn't said, so these actions and fear tactics aren't a surprise. Though it's not the fault of the journalist the leaks were released, and they aren't required to keep tight lip until it's officially announced lest they be blacklisted. It's news. Spoiler content yes, but still news nonetheless. And the job of the press is to share news. It just seems like uneeded punishment, especially when the news will spread regardless. Instead, perhaps crack down on security and take action against the person sending the leaks so next time it doesn't happen. And the "they have 100's of people so it's hard to keep things under wraps" reasoning is also silly because we still have examples were some AAA companies keep projects under wraps from people. The Kingdom Hearts series for example comes to mind.

though like you said there are examples where BL someone can be justified. It's just to me rare to see.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, then, a new video is now up, talking about the recent push toward making multiplayer-only games like Titanfall.

Also, yeah, seriously, fuck Konami for what they did to poor Hideo Kojima. WHat the actual hell, man.

• Thumbs Up 4

Konami got dunked on so bad, Jim had to play the dunked on anthem.

FucKonami

I agree with Jim on multiplayer only games though.  If you're going to cut out the single player you better back it up with something in exchange.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

New JImquisition on not just Square Enix, but on the reasons as to why AAA publishers are doing the things they are doing. 

I have to ask, where in the world did Jim get this info?