Awoo.

What You'd Like out of 2014-15 Sonic?

SlickEvan

Well as seen in the upcoming games topic; there'll be a new Sonic 2015 game for all 3 Next-next Gen consoles. My question is where do you want to see the blue blur go? 

From an in-biased point of view I hope the really flesh out the parkour gameplay and tune it to work with other characters, Knuckles and Tails more preferably. While I love the other characters, at this time there's either not enough or too much gameplay diversity to add them in at this moment. So hopefully 2015 Sonic will go down the Sonic Advance 1 route but with full 3D (no 2D I'm kind of- no really sick of it) and have all the characters playable, but won't be NEEDED to finish the full game. I hope by this time Pontac and Graff get out of the elementary/just for kids writing style and fine tune their work for a successful story everyone can enjoy. I also hope we get PS3/X360 versions even if their UnWIIshed because some of us either can't / don't want to upgrade just yet. 

From a fan's perspective, to be honest... I want the Adventure style back... Just fine tuned. They had gotten the right 3D Genesis gameplay, on their (almost) First try! If Sonic could do a basic roll along with the spindash it would've been perfect. He gained momentum while rolling, he could spindash, they added a homing attack to make jumping on enemies more reliable and precise. But.. They ditched it! For no good reason. I don't really care if it EXACTLY follows the Adventure formula, but the gameplay style and engine need to come back. It's potential was lost and wasted in my opinion. Now here's where people get upset. Sonic Adventure games sucked because:

A) Bad story (What how? It was only two attempts at a deep story, but what does that have to do with it's potential?)

B) Awful side characters (Well Knuckles and SA1 Tails controlled very well and akin to the classics with some extra added spice if you ask me. They could roll (SA1) do their basic well known things and had great extras, punching, tail whip, digging, dash hoops that made him fly longer. Plus if you didn't HAVE to play as them they would've been held up high)

C) The stages sucked (Well they we're just making the TRUE leap into the third dimension. If they had time to expand it might have been the greatest levels we've had up to date. People hold high Lost Worlds level design because it lets you explore, and I call shenanigans! You don't truly explore it just choose out of the 1, 2, 3, choices of routes. Meh in my opinion. Because once you're on the path good luck switching, and the 2d sections, don't even-) (part 2. If Sonic 06 (Yes, 06) Had the true Adventure engine the game might not have been as much of a disaster as it was. The levels had many great rewards for going out of your way to explore, don't get me wrong it has it's very fair share of medicore levels but some had so many ways to get to the goal ring. NO I DON'T necessarily LIKE 06. at all even)

D) It sucks. (....)

E) Bonus Content :P Yeah I'd also like TheColorsWriters (PonGraf) to either "Step it up" or "Don't touch it!" Because their flopping up the stories. Of course non of it is bad, but at points it becomes cringe worthy or even flat out garbage at points. They tried giving Tails personality out of "little bro" but do it so unnaturally that even though they were doing something right we begin to point fingers at why they did it in the first place if it doesn't even go anywhere? So yeah.

So yeah give your thoughts and what YOU'D like the new (2015 or 14) Sonic game to be like!

Reworked Lost World or Unleashed sequel styled game. Lost World has loads of potential, at this point, post-patch, my only problems with the game is the godawful level design. The soundtrack was good, controls were fine, story: not too terrible and the game looked brilliant. If we could have that game with, better level design and improved parkour system, it would be pretty darn good.

On the other hand, God, I miss the Boost. Unleashed HD is my favourite Sonic game of all time, and there needs to be (IMO) another game following its style. The hub worlds were vibrant and charming, so were its inhabitants, and I think its the best looking Sonic game of all time - barring the pre-renders from '06. It controlled amazingly, the Homing Attack on the X button actually worked fine and the story, that wonderful story, ohmaigawd. Only problem is, I guess, the Gaia Colossus sections of the final boss battle.

• Thumbs Up 2

As long as the gameplay isn't boost, the writing gets better and Tomoya Ohtani remembers how to make good music without using a violin and dubstep, i don't care what they do for the next game.

If lost world comes back hopefully they rid the run button and seeing as how its formula is really close to the adventure I'd really like that. But if the story doesn't get it together I'll be pretty ticked.

I honestly want something like Generations again. I really enjoyed the boost gameplay as it was a perfect fit for Sonic. Also, I loved replaying the levels in that game which is something I would probably do if we get a boost game. However, as much as I want this, I don't see it happening as I don't think Sega would waste money on the Lost World engine only to never use it again. I just hope they teach us how to play the game this time round.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm in the mood for something like Adventure.

Honestly if you refine the player physics/controls, simplify the mechanics and remove the function of needing to hold a button to run, you're already pretty much there gameplay-wise (except with parkour added). That plus level design that has ramps, slopes, loops and curves everywhere would be ideal as long as it has alternate paths and hidden goodies involved with it.. that's enough to make the best 3D Sonic by far IMO.

I also hope it manages to deliver in a story that I'll be interested in enough to follow, visuals that blow me away, and massive amounts of content to keep the replayability factor high (something I've felt like that last several games have severely lacked). Other than the gameplay itself, this is what I find important in Sonic games, and I just hope the next one delivers.

• Thumbs Up 6

I decided to do a giant edit, so here's what I would like to see.

• Playable characters aside from Sonic is near the top of my list,  No, there's no way in hell I'm asking for another Sonic Adventure title, but showing Sonic's friends and allies some love after nearly 10 years of being playable in a 3D Sonic game would be really nice. 
  • A damn good soundtrack. I know this shouldn't be too much to ask for, as this is Sonic the freakin' hedgehog we're talking about, but Lost World's OST really didn't feel all that special to me. Don't take one composer and spread him thin across a giant soundtrack, use some other main stays to lend a hand. Seriously, I love Tomoya Ohtani, but where the hell has Jun Senoue been? Hell, I'm missing Fumie Kumatana, Mariko Nanba, and Kenichi Toko. Some new artists would be cool as well.
  • Lost World's art style. That game hit the nail on the head for what a 3D Sonic game's aesthetics should look like to me, Sonic the Hedgehog being cartoony just fits so well for the series. The photo surrealism art style of Unleashed would be nice as well, depending on what the game's premise is.
  • Stop rushing your writers. I don't care who you put in charge of writing your stories Sonic Team, all I care is that it turns out good. Lost World showed promise but really started to fizzle out near the end. I don't ask for something on the caliber of the Storybook titles, just tell a nice, relatively meaty story by Sonic standards. Something with the scope of the Adventure titles and Unleashed, but presented well.
  • The double jump returning and becoming a staple would be appreciated. It really helps Sonic's control in the air and is one of the reasons I felt Colors had the best physics of any 3D Sonic game since Adventure.
  • Parkour is something I would like to see executed better if it comes back. It fits Sonic's persona, but the level design needs to be more accommodating of it and there shouldn't be emphasis on using it all the time. 
  • Is it just me, or have boss battles been lacking lately? Give us some bosses that offer a decent challenge without overstaying their welcome or having an insta kill move near the end. 

And lastly...

Make us feel satisfied for completing the game. Unleashed had its share of problems, but it still felt like a challenging adventure we were proud to have completed. Lost World was honestly too short and it felt like just another day in the life of the blue blur. Make us feel accomplished, so the game leaves an impact on us.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm with Diogenes on this one, there is a whole lotta things id love in a new sonic game.

But right now, all I want is a fun enjoyable game that after I have finished playing a session I can think to myself "yeah, that was fun, I need to find time to play that again" . I want to come away feeling satisfied and happy, not fustrated and shortchanged or anything else. Sure I've had fun overall with every game I've played in the franchise, even Lost World, but there have been parts of some games when I've come away feeling fustrated and annoyed. I want a game that I want to feel like playing rather than " meh I'll play some sonic, I don't fancy "XYZ"" and something that'll keep me coming back for more even after I'm finished with the main story or whatever

A game that resembles SA1 in structure (obviously with much better level design and controls and stuff) and has greater emphasis on story.

Smash that up, with the production values and art-direction of Unleashed. That would be real swell.

• Thumbs Up 7

A game that resembles SA1 in structure (obviously with much better level design and controls and stuff) and has greater emphasis on story.

Smash that up, with the production values and art-direction of Unleashed. That would be real swell.

Basically this, but take some notes from Sonic 3 & K's formula. We shouldn't be forced to play as every character to get a last story, just make everybody optional so we can play the game however we want. 

• Thumbs Up 4

What do I want out of 2014-2015 Sonic? Let's see what I come up with...

A Sonic game with beautiful art design that's bright, colorful and detailed and an excellent soundtrack that has variety, for starters. I'm not too picky about a preference in gameplay compared to previous Sonic titles. As long as the gameplay is fun and not complicated and the controls don't suck, I'm sure I will be fine with whatever they want to bring about with the gameplay, whether it imitates the Adventure games, has the boost or even if the Parkour comes back among other options. I would love to see playable characters as well, notably Tails and Knuckles if no one else. The latter is way overdue for some decent recognition in the series. It would be really nice to see Team Sonic be a thing again. I hope that we get Special Stages as well.

While I understand why it is highly unlikely for there to ever be a sound test in the games again so they can make a soundtrack for the games and make additional revenue, I don't see any legit reason for Sonic games not to have a cutscene viewer. The cutscenes is one of my favorite parts of Sonic games, as they provide details to the plot and story, as well as giving us characterization of Sonic, Tails, Dr. Eggman, and whoever else is among the main cast of the game, something that I am personally very big on. I honestly don't see how this is benefit to anyone (either the player or SEGA) by not having a cutscene viewer in the game. I honestly feel that I shouldn't have to go on YouTube to see them and I hope there will be one in the Sonic games of 2014-2015.

I want to get my money's worth from each Sonic game. Issues like questionable controls and physics, and the short length of games shouldn't exist. There should be plenty to do in the games-things that are enjoyable at that and not just filler that irritates the player. I honestly don't feel that I should ever be sitting there thinking whether or not it was worth spending $50 or so to buy the game as well as feeling dissatisfied after all is said and done. Having dedication and complete genuine effort providing an exciting and excellent experience for the player should be standard. I think these things even needing to be mentioned as they aren't standard in Sonic game is ridiculous to be honest.

I'm also hoping for a complete story with a beginning, middle and end that doesn't disappoint, especially in regards to the ending. Also among the storytelling I wish to see good to fine characterization of Sonic as well as Tails, Dr. Eggman and whoever else may be among the cast in the game. I definitely wish to see Sonic and Tails continue to be portrayed as best friends and have that excellent friendship and have that brotherly bond between them continue to shine through.

sox6pih.jpg?1

Oh, and DLC, please. The more awesome fun things that we have the opportunity do to in Sonic games, the better.

And for the record, not only do I want and wish for these things in Sonic games in 2014-2015, I hope these things are present in Sonic games from here on out.

• Thumbs Up 7

I want a Sonic game thats fun and shows Sonic in a good light. I want a game that shows Sonic as the selfless hero with loves freedom like he always was. I also want to see the boost and the homing attack come back.

I also want to see a playable Dr Eggman. I really liked playing as him.

I want to see a more intresting Tails. Tails in Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 was intresting because he was smart and he save the day but now hes boring because hes all brains and no nothing.

I want to see another character like Caliburn/Sharha/Chip or have them come back. They really foil Sonic well.

Another story book game

Sonic 4 Episode 3

Another Riders game

A playable Silver. I loved him in the games

• Thumbs Up 1

A game that's actually great all around would be a nice change; no, not good, great. I'm so tired of seeing potential in every game, and then there's a massive problem that brings the game down to being average at best. I want them to excel, and actually make something that I can safely say "This game is great, with barely nothing fundamentally wrong".

Well I'm figuring that whatever it is, it's probably already been in development for awhile, meaning that it could possibly be similar to SLW, or maybe just something new all together. That said I don't really mind what it is in the end, just as long as it flows really well, is fun, and has some great replayability, 'cause god damn am I getting tired of a Sonic game only lasting a weekend or two.

What I want specifically though? I actually want a mix-mash of the best of everything we've seen so far. I think SLW was really on the right track, and I know that's a mixed to unpopular opinion, but I really believe that if it were just fleshed out better and removed some of the things hindering the experience, it would be a fantastic formula for the series. But a mix of everything I'm talking about is something I don't feel would be too hard to pull off, or even clash with one another.

First and foremost just want momentum based gameplay to be the fucking kingpin on all the everythings. I'm not talking slightly either, just shizz you'd expect like slopes, jumps, half pipes, etc. It's not only that, but making your levels flow with such a thing and rewarding the skilled, much like how the Genesis games functioned. While I know plenty of games since then has had it to a degree at least, I can't fully say that one of those have had it a core focus, at least not to the same level that the Genesis games work. I know we're talking 3D environments here, but I seriously don't think that should be that hard in this day in age.

Moving on though since I feel like that shouldn't have to be said for to begin with, but just the idea of mixing all the eras really. Adventure has amazing exploration and arguably the most free feeling control out of any 3D game installment. I want dat. Unleashed-Gens had something more important that just the boost, but flow overall. You felt fast and nimble and athletic; you felt like Sonic. And Lost World I feel had the attitude as well as precision to be a 3D platformer. I can't imagine Sonic without parkour anymore, and hope they improve upon it since it's extremely stylish and flashy, as well as a life saver for platforming.

So in all I guess what would be ideal for me in this Sonic game is that it's an adventure where momentum and flow is key, flashy and full of sonicy goodness attitude, and remains interesting and open enough to explore without frustration without it derailing the main experience. I want to generally feel like Sonic when I play the game: fast, flexible, cool, and over the top. Find the balance where I can feel this more and more with practice, but not feel frustrated and flustered on my first run through of the game. That's probably as vague and summarized as I can put it, for what I want as a core anyways.

Extra junk should really remain the icing on the cake and not the main focus. Forced gimmicks are yuck and at the end of the day people just want to play normal stages. Collectables are rad and help exploration, but should again never be a forced progression. Make it hard to 100% the game but not downright impossible, and reward the player handsomely and not just a "hey look it's super sanky!" Extra characters would be welcome by everyone if they (again for the last time) aren't forced, ala Sonic 3 or something. Everything else I don't have much concern over, or I don't care too deeply about. Music is always awesome, usually warm up to any new art style they choose, the story I don't care about too much, etc.

----

SOOO I guess that's what I'd say if I were to be super fucking picky and wanted exactly what I wanted. The thing is, I'm like one of 89504254 fans in the series, and everyone's got a voice and right to something they like in the game, so I really keep that in mind when each new game rolls around. I enjoy a game to my best and try not to nitpick it to death, because at the end of the day it's not a game for me, myself and I. I feel like a lot of people lose that sometimes and the petty fights arise. It's cool to wish or want for something, but I think it's also cool to not take so much to heart. It's a game, and I highly doubt things are made with the sole intention of making you blow a gasket. It's not hard to find the fun in something, at least for me lawl.

• Thumbs Up 8

1: To be able to play as Tails, Knuckles, Amy and Shadow. I miss not playing as those characters.

2: Silver, Blaze, Rouge and Omega to appear and given bigger roles. I think the latter two have potential which Team Sonic, have not utillised.

3: A good storyline. Something creative as the storylines have not been great. Think Sega, have what it takes to make a brilliant storyline.

4: A 3D game which is high of quality and is worth playing.

Well for starters, I'd like an excellently made batch of bosses, many of which allow you snd your adversary to take use and advantage of the arena and is contents. Oh and variety is a must.

I'd like for them to go back to the boost formula or the Lost World formula, and improve them. They should try to make a good story, like Unleashed or Colors. I'd like other characters to be playable, but please, make them play like Sonic, but give them some special ability and different stats (like strength or jump height) so they don't feel like Sonic re-skins. I'd also like if they'd stop with the nostalgia, and give us new levels and badniks. Oh, and don't make the bosses too easy when compared to the overall difficulty of the levels. 

A game that fleshes out the parkour system and makes it loads of fun while ditching the tube design and the Wisps. That's really all I want. I really couldn't care much about what they do with the story (within reason) so long as I enjoy the game.

I still think Sonic Team's gonna ditch the parkour in favor of either the boost again or something else, but I can dream, can't I?