Awoo.

Sonic Games that you're really [shamefully] bad at

AzureHedgehog

Let's not talk about the dreaded  untrustified "glitch" myth. Don't go there.

Instead, let's talk about the great Sonic games that we're proud to be bad of, so we can keep on playing them again and again to get better at them.

I used to be really bad at Sonic Drift, but when I got my Game Gear last year I played Sonic Drift on it. I started to get really good instantly because after I looked at the map on the top of the screen it showed me where all of the turns were, then after a few tries of studying the obstacles on the side of the road I knew where to go to avoid them.

I wouldn't say i'm bad at Sonic Riders Zero Gravity, in fact it's just hard now because i'm stuck on a hard part of the game [i have to beat Amy and she's really fast]

I'm the worst at Sonic 3, although i'm currently up to Launch Base Zone i'm still studying the gaps between floors where it just drops you and makes you stuck so you'd have to do them again. It's been 20 years and I still am terrible at collecting all of the Blue Spheres. I get too freaked out when the stage turns fast and then I panic, bounce around places and then hit a spring and get knocked back into a red sphere. Game over man, GAME OVER  Happens every time.

I'm quite terrible at Sonic Spinball, I can get to the first chaos emerald, but then other than that nothing happens since I keep falling in the goo.

AND LET'S NOT FORGET ABOUT TEAM DARK IN SONIC HEROES , OH BOY! ...the special stages especially - aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

CHOOSE.

Let's see, all of the classics except maybe CD. I've never gotten any of the Chaos Emeralds, and I usually get game overs a few stages in. I haven't completed either Adventure titles due to Big's fishing controls and Adventure 2's last story. The slippery control in Heroes is screwing me over, it took me nearly a year to complete Unleashed and Generations after I first bought them, and I keep getting my ass kicked in Terminal Velocity in Sonic Colors.

So yeah, probably every Sonic game in existence. Oh, and I'm not going to dismiss 06 either. Just because it's a horribly programmed game doesn't mean it isn't difficult. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm pretty bad at the night stages at Sonic Unleashed, though I'm not sure if that's because I'm not a fan of brawlers or I just don't want to get better at them. They always bore me dreadfully. 

Other than that... can't say I was ever good at Secret Rings ever, and though I eventually made it through, it took a very long time to overcome some of the many frustrations in the gameplay. Same with Black Knight but I didn't even bother playing that to the end because it aggravated me so much. 

I'd have to say Spinball. I have never completed that game, never!

Ontop of that there is CD, whose special stages I can't do at all, never gotten all the time stones (I think my best was 2 once).

I'm sure there are quite a few more too

I'm really bad at Unleashed, it's so stiff and yet so slippery coming off Colours and Generations. I'm honestly better at playing 06. When I get it right, I'm a badass at 06, but Unleashed I just fail to S rank sometimes because I take one hit or something.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I suck at Unleashed day-time stages. I find the lack of tight controls frustrating and trying to get S-ranks is a pain in the ass.

Is it 'shameful' to be awful at Spinball? You know, considering how utterly bad the game is?

Because not once have I ever completed that game. And that's saying something considering I'm a freaking Sonic game completionist that tolerated Shadow the Hedgehog enough to attain this;

S1010106.jpg

There's nothing about Spinball that appeals to me and it's difficulty is obscene. So I've never been compelled to complete it and I'm not good at the same at all. I've never even reached the Lava Boiler boss thing in the second table.

Every other Sonic game I'm either competent or fantastic at.

• Thumbs Up 1

ABSOLUTELY EVERY SINGLE LAST ONE OF THEM.

Yeah, I'm pretty bad at games in general, but those that I am particularly worse at...  Uh... Tails Adventure.  I swear that game does not move forward until someone tells me to do the same thing I've been doing for the past fifty minutes.  Tails Skypatrol being another one.  It's like-

Yeah, like that.

Sonic Spinball and Dr. Robotnik;'s Mean Bean Machine, with the latter being one game I have never even gotten past the second stage to.  I also find many of the Game Gear games to be insanely difficult.

So yeah, I suck. ;_;

• Thumbs Up 5

I usually take pride in my skill at most Sonic games, although I will NEVER get good at hunting emeralds as Knuckles or Rouge. Adventure 2 is the worst because of how enormous the levels are, and how they nerfed the emerald detector. I recall either Aquatic Mine or Mad Space taking me upwards of 30 grueling minutes to complete.

Oh! How could I forget Sonic R! I haven't played that game since I was like, 7 or so, but I remember being absolutely abysmal at it.

Sonic Heroes (As Team Sanic), for some reason, I usually run of the stages by complete accident, I have a hard time trying to control myself, so I usually run off edges or into enemies.

Oh, and Sonic Riders and Zero Gravity (Don't have an Xbox 360 or SFR), I really suck at those starting things where you run back then forward to get on the board, I have terrible timing and pretty much always get electrocuted.

Every classic game, bar the first game and 3D Blast/Flickies Island, I'm utterly atrocious at.

I can play through the levels just fine, but once I hit the final boss or enter a Special Stage, IT'S TIME TO USE SAVE STATES BECAUSE I'M SUCH A FILTHY CASUAL, OH GOD I'M SO SORRY!

Honestly, probably Colors. I really suck at using the Wisps in ways to my potential and overall just prefer to play the game like it's Unleashed or Generations, but then again that hinders the experience, so... yeah. That's literally the one game that comes to my mind, all the others I'm pretty good at in my eyes at least.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not so much bad at the games, but when it comes to the classic (bar Sonic CD*), I'm just awful at the special stages.  Whether it's the trippy maze of Sonic 1, the tube of Sonic 2, or the Blue Spheres of Sonic 3, I suck at all of them.  Whenever I play the classics I almost never go for the emeralds. Cheats codes FTW!

*Sonic CD is an exception thanks to the remake.  Thank you Mr. Taxman!smile.png

Sonic Unleashed Day Time Stages.

The stages go so FUCKING fast that I can't react in time so I just get killed or damaged.

And it doesn't help that I keep on saying "WHOOAAAA!" "HOLY SHIIIIIIT"

ABSOLUTELY EVERY SINGLE LAST ONE OF THEM.

You took the exact words out of my mouth. Seriously, you are not alone, Akito. I'm serious when I find every single Sonic game that I have played to be difficult. Recently with the Holiday Gaming awards, I took a crack at Sonic 1 and I ragequit without making any kind of decent progress whatsoever. The same thing happened with trying out Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic and Knuckles...and don't get me started about the modern day games and my struggles there. Someway, somehow, I was able to beat Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine after like a million tries.

I know I went a period of 15 years in my life without playing a single video game, but I'm rustier than a 50 year old nail I realized as I have tried to effectively play a Sonic game to absolutely no avail. To say that I need to practice is a severe understatement. So does the fact that I suck badly at any and all Sonic games. dry.png

YEFYMpF.jpg?1 ZSLQRpW.jpg?1

I am pretty sure that I have made similar faces to Sonic's during my unsuccessful attempts of playing his games. sad.png

Oh well. Amid my struggles, I still end up having fun playing Sonic games somehow. smile.png

• Thumbs Up 8

I'd say the classics. Labyrinth Zone Act 3?  Almost made it, but lost my rings during the boss and got hit again with a spear, so I just kinda ragequit. Metropolis Zone Act 3? There's this one bit where there's a half-loop with spikes at the top. Can't get to that platform to save my life. :/ Sandopolis Act 2? I think everyone had trouble with that. Almost made it once (somehow), but I ran out of time and ragequit that too.

I've been playing these on the Classic Collection for the DS, if that says anything.

I am pretty good at playing Sonic games, so does Mean Bean Machine count? I've only played it a few times but I got stuck on Stage 3, maybe I'm playing the game wrong but I really don't care if I beat it or not though.

....all of them tongue.png  that is pretty much as many as I am good at....

I stink at all of them, except Sonic Adventure, I can do that one acceptably.

The first ones that come to mind are the Game Gear games, I can barely get past the first few levels in any of them. Even Triple Trouble and Labyrinth, and I like those ones! Like Akito, I can't beat the second robot jerk in Mean Bean Machine, I'm just awful at that game. Then there's Spinball....ugh.

As for more recent games, I occasionally had trouble playing the boost games. The only one I considered myself decent at is Colours, and even then I can fail pretty hilariously at it. Generations is probably technically easier but I never had enough time with it to stop failing, heh.

Aside from that, I'm pretty good at Sonic games. The classics (even CD...usually), Adventure era, and Lost World were all fairly simple for me to get used to and even outright good at. Though I haven't played the Adventures in a long while, having no way of playing my Gamecube games anymore, so if I went into them now I might suck pretty bad due to lack of practice. XD

• Thumbs Up 1

CD.

I cannot find my groove in that game for whatever reason. Maybe it's because I didn't grow up with it, all that interested in it, weird level design compared to the other classic ones, or what, but I'm just really poor at it. I can manage to complete it, but not the special stages or any of the good futures or anything, and it takes me forever as well.

Other than that it's just the random off-game fodder like Mean Bean Machine, Spinball, anything on Game Gear, etc. Adventure and onward I find pretty easy to play, though of course I'm worse at ones than others, but just generally speaking. Kinda just to say on the side, I don't really thinking I'm all that godtier at any Sonic game. I'm good enough to 100% some, but maybe I'm just desensitized to what "awesome at a game" is after seeing what the internet can do lmao.

Sonic Shuffle…the computer AI's difficulty and the structure of the minigames and battles made me quit playing it after finally being able to play it on my Dreamcast.

I only went back to it and replayed it to finish the Story Mode a year or 2 later.

Sonic heroes (I have the ps2 version, and it's horribly used) I suck at this game, like I think from lost jungle onwards I take like 30 minutes to complete a stage (of course I never really got the grasp of the controls). I'm okay at shadow the hedgehog, but not great. Sonic 06...two words the ball, that ball...blink.png Sonic Adventure and Adventure 2, lets not talk about those 2. I can play the genesis games through, but not without any kind of saving, so again I suck. I got rid of black knight, but I beat the game (not 100%) by jumping and swinging the wii mote in the air stupidly, because i didn't know you can homing attack and then swing to combo use attacks. I'm good at secret rings, but I still haven't completed all the challenges. I suck at the game gear games too and spinball.

To put it simply, every game from sonic colors through generations is an absolute cake walk w/3-5 hours completion time, portable and console. Oh and I'm good enough at sonic rush and rush adventure to not die. Sonic advance 2-3 are unplayable to me, I completed a run of knuckles story in advance, but that';s about it.  

I can not beat Sonic Spinball for the life of me. I'm also not all that good at the Tails / Eggman levels in SA2. 

Oh, and don't fucking get me started on Sonic 2 game gear.