Awoo.

Flash and Style but with the Substance

Soniman

To be honest tricks have never done anything for me in a major way.  They're cool but in Generations and Colours, you do one trick, you've done them all.  There's no penalty for failing to play Chicken with timing the "finishing" trick in Generations, only reward for getting it right.  And in Colours it is... literally impossible to fail unless you drop the controller lol.  I have a poor relationship with them in Rush and Rush Adventure especially because I deliberately avoid doing them so I can hear the goddamn music lol.

I liked them in Advance 2 though, where you could just them to suddenly change direction in mid-air.  Their mistake was only using it ONCE in a mandatory manner (only when playing as Sonic mind, but still, guide-dang-it moment in Sky Canyon resulted).  I wouldn't mind seeing something like that used for accessing different routes in mid-air.

Generally though I find the trick system from the last two games very automated and just busywork for the player during big jumps.  I'd much rather see something that appreciates stringing moves together without stopping like SA2's, preferably with a whole programming system behind it to recognise cool tricks rather than just being specific opportunities setup in each level that you can memorise and just do as the game developers intended you to do.

• Thumbs Up 2

I agree that Lost World was lacking in memorable moments. The only thing I remember in terms of style was at the beginning of Windy Hill Act 1, where you can see Tails looking for a place to land. And while I don't have a problem with automation, the parts where Sonic bounces off a series of springs (or in Frozen Factory, goes through metal pipes) went on for way too long in my opinion.