Awoo.

Should I add HD games to my collection

BonkersTheAutomaton

A few weeks ago I traded in my copy of The Jak and Daxter HD Collection because of the whole fact that I have the original games on my PS2.  Also because I only like the first game and not the last 2.  I have also decided to refuse to buy games such as Sonic Adventure 2 Battle for the Gamecube because it is just a remake of the original on Dreamcast.  But recently with more HD games coming out (Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 and 2.5 to be exact)  I feel like I'm going to miss out of the Final Mix versions of those games.  I didn't mind it with 1.5 HD Remix since the first Kingdom Hearts only features a few extra bosses that mean nothing in the long run of things and that Re: Chain of Memories was terrible in my eyes. .  But with 2.5 HD Remix on the way and the fact that Kingdom Hearts 2 and Birth By Sleep are my favorites in the series I don't want to miss out of the content that is in these versions (especially on the fact that the final mix version in these game are huge compared to the original).

I'm also a Trophy Hunter on my PS3 so I chose to only keep games that I have 100% completed on my PSN.  Which is why I traded in some of these games to begin with.  I didn't like Jak 2 on the HD collection and I chose not the play Jak 3 so I chose to trade it in because of that.

I kind of don't know what to do.  The Inner OCD in my is saying "Don't bother it will feel out of place in your collection have more than 1 version of something in your collecting", but my other OCD side is saying "Get them so you can get all the trophies, you love these games don't you?"

Should I add HD games to my collection or should I just stick with what I have?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BonkersTheAutomaton

• Badnik Mechanic

• Sami

• TheOcelot

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Very much depends on the collection.

I have the Shadow of the Colossus/Ico collection and I don't regret it, it's an amazing game and looks stunning on the HD edition.

ZOE HD was the worst HD collection in existence... and then they patched it on the PS3 and it's now one of the best. However if you have an Xbox, avoid like a virus.

Silent Hill... .. .. . part of me wants it, another part of me doesn't because it's a really terrible HD edition, in parts the games are worse than the originals, the music is different, and it doesn't feel like it was given the treatment it deserves.

Another thing to consider.

Some of the games which have the HD collection have become much harder due to their improvements. 

For example, The original Shadow of the Colossus doesn't have anywhere near the frame rate that the HD collection does, whilst this makes the game smoother, it plays and looks better. It also means the time trial segments are much harder, no longer can the player take advantage of frame rate drops and climbing the colossi is much harder too.

It's worth getting HD collections because normally they contain improved graphics, better loading times and tweaked controls compared to the original. It's nice to have another version of the game on current-gen consoles in terms of ease of access.

That said, some HD Collections - the Metal Gear Solid collection for example - had to cut some content that had appeared in the original versions, because they couldn't get the rights to re-use some material. So if you already have the original I suggest that you check out reviews of the game before you decide to purchase it, to see if any content has been removed.

Double check reviews to make sure the ports aren't gimped. The ICO collection is fantastic, as well as Metal Gear and ZOE (on PS3). Kingdom Hearts is one of the best, too. Honestly, a res bump gives so much better detail that it makes a lot of games worth replaying.

Ok I see what you lot are all saying. I think I will go off and re buy Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix and The Jak and Daxter Trilogy.  The only reason I got rid of them was because of how I organize my collection.  But that's for another topic. 

It really does depend on the game, some HD versions are better, some are about the same having differences in terms of how the port was handled (e.g. Sly 1 removes the bad slowdown on the 3rd stage with the swamp however adds input lag on the 3rd boss) and some weren't very good like that Silent Hill one where the original is much better. Usually I have a HD collection for convienence since it is quicker to load 2/3 games than it is to keep swapping discs and the picture quality looks better by not just the resolution bump but also clean up some of the textures depending on game. Besides older games don't tend to look good (decent at best) on modern TVs.

There are cases where I bought the HD collection because I didn't get and couldn't get the original games at the time like Ratchet & Clank Trilogy or God of War 1 & 2. There are even a couple like Zone of the Enders HD Collection where the original games were getting harder to find and more pricier and when the HD version came out it made them accessible. Then again I am a person who has a console version of a game but also a handheld version so I can play the latter elsewhere, the exception seems to be OutRun 2006 where I have it on the PS2, Xbox and the PSP since in terms of a collection, it is a case of being a player-collector where it is someone who plays games but happens to have a collection. There were a few that I did skip on such as Wind Waker HD since the original still looks good today plus it came with Ocarina of Time and the Splinter Cell trilogy since it worked out much cheaper buying all 4 Xbox games than the trilogy pack that is skipping Double Agent and I think missing a level that the Xbox/PC version had.

Sometimes it is interesting to see the differences between a HD collection and the original. Like with Ico, the HD remake has more stuff than the original US PS2 release (since the HD version is based on the PAL version).

Idk. I kinda view HD collections as either collector/completionist items, or an excuse for people to pick up a game they missed out on for whatever reason, when it originally came out. 

The only reason I own games like Adventure 2: Battle, Mega Collection, and all the Taxman remakes, is because I'm a huge Sonic nerd; however, if it wasn't for the Sly Cooper HD collection, then I probably would've missed out on what I now consider, one of the best steath platformer franchises ever.