Awoo.

2014 is The Year Of Sonic "& Sports tape" *see post 1*

Badnik Mechanic

Interesting.

I hope its not a future of platform exclusivity.

Please don't jinx it.

Please.

Please.

Don't.

im scared guys

What if this is like a reboot? What if Buffles IS in the games? Could this be a re-branding of the ent- ooh there's gonna be cocktails!

• Thumbs Up 2

I hope these Sonic Boom designs aren't going to be the new designs for the games, too, because I don't like the look of the silhouettes. 

• Thumbs Up 3

If this is a reboot then really how big of a difference will it make?

I mean, the games have always been separate events. They were occasionally loosely tied together by some half-assed reference to the events of another game, but never enough to really create any sort of canon. This reboot is in name and design only, and we don't even know if those designs are exclusive to the show or not.

I don't think they were supposed to share that pamphlet at all since it specifies information. It sounds like this was a secret trade-only event that only a handful were invited to.

SEGA at its finest, though, doing excellent quality control with who they share with.

That the embargo ends tomorrow DOES raise hope they'll share whatever's announced, however. Hoping for the triple combo I suggested!

It still seems a little early for them to distribute the final Sonic Boom designs.  I mean, I'm not saying it won't happen, but there's certainly more to a show than just the character designs.  So they still have plenty to show off.

If this is a reboot then really how big of a difference will it make?

I mean, the games have always been separate events. They were occasionally loosely tied together by some half-assed reference to the events of another game, but never enough to really create any sort of canon. This reboot is in name and design only, and we don't even know if those designs are exclusive to the show or not.

The thing is that if they decide to reboot the series, it's not a matter of them rebooting it for the sake of doing the same thing.  A reboot is done so that they have an excuse to take the series into a whole new direction, sometimes for better and sometimes for worse.  For someone like me who actually quite likes where the series is now, this leaves me a tad skeptical.

I can't wait for Sega to announce that the Boom designs will become the new official look for Sonic across all continuities. Ergo SEGA will drop a nuke on the hype train thus ending SSMB as we know it

The worst thing about a possible reboot would be if the original appeal of the series was totally lost i.e. Sonic's speed. People like Skylanders, but it's not Spyro anymore, you don't do Spyro things in it.

If they removed Sonic's speed from being a core part of the gameplay in a reboot, man I wouldn't really be happy with that.

• Thumbs Up 4

Well you guys, here is a possibility: what if the announcement and next game usher in a new 'Sonic adventure' style error, a soft reboot with a game that reinvigorates the games

I can't wait to see the "real Sonic fans" debates that will surely pop up over any reboots and redesigns.

Anywho. I don't think Sonic Revolution could have chosen a better time to get started last year. If the hype SEGA's aiming to generate works, I can see our little movement REALLY taking off this year.

It's yet another beautiful coincidence that makes me think I chose the right path for myself. First I heard "Cinema" start playing in the hotel lobby prior to Sonic Boom which felt like a sort of divine blessing of my joining the SR team, and now there's this when I'm really looking for something that could put all these meetups on the map.

It's going to be a beautiful year for me if not for anyone else, I think.

Well if there is a reboot.....

95507_083.jpg

At least he went out with a bang.

Seriously though, I'll remain open until I see something. Leaning on the negative as of now, but we'll see.

• Thumbs Up 8

I'm very afraid...Buffles is obviously my biggest concern, but I'm also concerned about Amyrexia Rose almost just as much.  Sonic with slightly more realistic quills is fine, and Tails...he looks the same! The horror!

If they must reboot the series, they better keep the current character designs, or at least not stray too far from them. I will flip out if the Boom designs make it into the games.

Well if there is a reboot.....

95507_083.jpg

At least he went out with a bang.

Seriously though, I'll remain open until I see something. Leaning on the negative as of now, but we'll see.

On the other hand, perhaps thats why he hasnt shown up recently, because they are giving his new design for it, or as an alternate costume

The worst thing about a possible reboot would be if the original appeal of the series was totally lost i.e. Sonic's speed. People like Skylanders, but it's not Spyro anymore, you don't do Spyro things in it.

If they removed Sonic's speed from being a core part of the gameplay in a reboot, man I wouldn't really be happy with that.

The difference between Skylanders and what we have now is that Skylanders put Spyro on the sidelines and used his name to gain support as an existing IP.  I'm a bit more confident that if it is a reboot Sega is planning, they're not going to change the very thing that defined his character, considering that they still seem to care about the Sonic brand as a whole.  Of course, anything's possible, but perhaps I'm naively optimistic enough to believe they wouldn't pull a Skylanders on us.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm getting a wee bit worried now at the indications of a brand unification due to Sonic Boom. I mean, every Sonic cartoon has either been canned or had little in common tone-wise with the games. Why should the whole franchise (i,e, the games) and legacy have to suffer for the sake of unification with a cartoon that will probably be short-lived?

You may have the order the wrong way around. Rather than the games being made to conform to the show, it may be that the show is the first visible hint of what they've been planning to do with the games anyway.

I really can't imagine that happening. Reboot or not, Sonic's identity is inexorably tied to speed.

Anyway I'm not getting worked up. I'll whine when we see something worth whining about, but I'm too burnt out to get frothy over what we imagine it might be.

• Thumbs Up 2

Eh, what's the worst that could happen? (Though just to be safe, I'll keep my mech suit seat buckled for the oncoming rollercoaster ride).

Here is another thought, perhaps that third exclusive on nintendo is going to be MUCH MUCH Bigger than we had previously thought

Well, now there's a theory I've been toting for sometime. Certainly wouldn't surprise me considering how short Lost World was.

The one thing I am genually worried about? 

Why is this happening in New York?

This puzzles me more than anything else.... take a look at the venue.

283395_227761500596207_7782369_n.jpg

It's just a typical space, the outside of the building is impressive but... why so far away from Sega HQ in America? Why is this not being held in San Francisco?

It's not like there aren't places there which can accommodate a venue of that size, and it would be a lot cheaper than holding it in New York too, especially given where this place is located.

So... out of shits and giggles... I decided to pull up a map of New York... and locate the venue... I also decided to see how far this place was from another well known videogame related location...

eMQpnLm.png

Edit: Apologies, google borked up the location, it's a little south on W 42nd street.

Point A is the venue for this announcement...

Point B is Nintendo World.

Dear lord please don't let this be exclusive deal get worse.

• Thumbs Up 1

The thing is that if they decide to reboot the series, it's not a matter of them rebooting it for the sake of doing the same thing.  A reboot is done so that they have an excuse to take the series into a whole new direction, sometimes for better and sometimes for worse.  For someone like me who actually quite likes where the series is now, this leaves me a tad skeptical.

The series needs it.

The characters change their personality every other game, the canon is broken and paradoxical, not to mention Sonic Lost World didn't exactly make a boom  Get it? 

There are Sonic games that I love, and it's not like they're going away. As someone who disliked Lost World, and the direction it was prepared to pull the series. Good riddance.

• Thumbs Up 1

Seriously though, I wonder if this means that we will see more than just that 1 Wii U game and SonicBoom.

Do I smell possibly more than one convention hosted by SEGA?

I mean, Sonic Boom 2011 was meant to generate fanfare for Generations and the brand as a whole... why not do something similar this year?

Of course I'm just wishful thinking because that would make it super easy to get regional cons set up.