Awoo.

2014 is The Year Of Sonic "& Sports tape" *see post 1*

Badnik Mechanic

The series needs it.

The characters change their personality every other game, the canon is broken and paradoxical, not to mention Sonic Lost World didn't exactly make a boom  Get it? 

There are Sonic games that I love, and it's not like they're going away. As someone who disliked Lost World, and the direction it was prepared to pull the series. Good riddance.

To each their own, then.  I find it no worse than Mario and its general lack of established continuity and frequently changing tone.  Plus, it's fun.  I wouldn't want Sega to redo anything, as I think it's already gotten to a point where it's good in my eyes.

Brace your asses, Iizuka is going to ruin the reboot.

Zero Dozer!? You're here too?!

Dear lord please don't let this be exclusive deal get worse.

Considering the Jazwares poster, I highly doubt that'll be the case.

The series needs it.

The characters change their personality every other game, the canon is broken and paradoxical, not to mention Sonic Lost World didn't exactly make a boom  Get it? 

There are Sonic games that I love, and it's not like they're going away. As someone who disliked Lost World, and the direction it was prepared to pull the series. Good riddance.

Again, I don't mean to sound rude, but this is sounding more like "Well then just pay those games if you don't like the direction" 

I mean, the series does not NEED new character designs if the problem is story, it doesn't even need a reboot at all.

And while I agree to a degree about Lost Worlds direction, I wouldn't have minded seeing Parkour be a staple ability in the series at least.

So the venue is being held at W. 44th St between 9th and 10th Aves....TIMES SQUARE BABY

...And I don't see how it being just a few blocks from Nintendo World mean much of anything other than coincidence but okay I'll play along...

Sweet! It's happening in my home state; I should be able to get some access to there.

Considering the Jazwares poster, I highly doubt that'll be the case.

honestly, I still say that the poster may have been jazwares speculation than fact

• Thumbs Up 1

Again, I don't mean to sound rude, but this is sounding more like "Well then just play those games if you don't like the direction" 

I mean, the series does not NEED new character designs if the problem is story, it doesn't even need a reboot at all.

And while I agree to a degree about Lost Worlds direction, I wouldn't have minded seeing Parkour be a staple ability in the series at least.

Alright, I hear you. As douche-y as this will make me seem, that is essentially what I'm saying.

This happens to every series, and to Sonic more frequently than others. When I realized the Adventure titles, and their gameplay styles, were finished I was heartbroken. I know there's nothing I can do for SEGA to change their mind about SA3 so when I want my Adventure fix I got play a game from that era. I realize any hope I had for that game dies with this reboot, but I get what you're saying.

Sonic is constantly changing, you can't expect one thing to stay too long. Change with it or be left behind.

• Thumbs Up 1

Alright, I hear you. As douche-y as this will make me seem, that is essentially what I'm saying.

This happens to every series, and to Sonic more frequently than others. When I realized the Adventure titles, and their gameplay styles, were finished I was heartbroken. I know there's nothing I can do for SEGA to change their mind about SA3 so when I want my Adventure fix I got play a game from that era.

Sonic is constantly changing, you can't expect one thing to stay too long. Change with it or don't.

So one game being different means entire gameplay style is lost forever?

Sounds like tomorrow is going to be a big day. I'm pretty cautious for once as to what SEGA will announce, expecting lots of Boom stuff. 

xo2HCiI.png

Good luck everyone. 

• Thumbs Up 2

So one game being different means entire gameplay style is lost forever?

No. The slew of games that followed it, however does.

Aside from the inability to play as the other characters, the Sonic Adventure style of gameplay has remained intact since '06.  So aside from that very thing, I don't see how it's ever been that different.  But eh, that's just me.

tumblr_mc6lstwIvb1rripibo1_250.gif

Well, I guess that'd be one way of explaining how the Jazwares chart was incorrect now wouldn't it?dry.png

We don't even know if Lost World's formula will be carried over for other games though. Sonic 06 happened, but we didn't get any sequels to that game. We got Unleashed, which introduced a completely new gameplay style. Many people aren't fond of Lost World, critics and consumers alike, so I'm not entirely sure it'll get a follow up.

Besides, this is Sonic we're talking about. Sonic games rarely keep a formula for very long. Hell, Heroes gameplay only stuck for one game.

honestly, I still say that the poster may have been jazwares speculation than fact

Was just taking a look at the TSS e-mail account and noticed that someone from Jazwares e-mailed us on the 3rd asking us to call them for a chat regarding our article about the new Sonic game in 2015. They didn't say anything in the e-mail about whether it was true or not, though.

Modern Sonic, we barely knew you. :(

I at least hope his new design doesn't stray too far off what we have now....

• Thumbs Up 1

On the subject of Lost World's influence:

Whatever's happening this year has been in the planning for years now, any games being released in the next two years are already in development and probably were in pre-development since before SLW even launched, so I don't think SLW's success or lack thereof is going to have any immediate impact on what we see next.

Modern Sonic, we barely knew you. sad.png

I at least hope his new design doesn't stray too far off what we have now....

Modern Sonic's been around since 1999, that's 15 years opposed to Classic Sonic's 9 years.

We knew him pretty well.

• Thumbs Up 5

Aside from the inability to play as the other characters, the Sonic Adventure style of gameplay has remained intact since '06.  So aside from that very thing, I don't see how it's ever been that different.  But eh, that's just me.

When I said:

When I realized the Adventure titles, and their gameplay styles, were finished I was heartbroken.

I meant up to SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 2006, and I could argue for days why Sonic Lost World and Sonic Adventure are different gameplay wise. The only thing they share is moving Sonic in a more open and free way compared to the Boost Trilogy. The camera, attacks/abilities, and stage design were all very different.

We don't even know if Lost World's formula will be carried over for other games though. Sonic 06 happened, but we didn't get any sequels to that game. We got Unleashed, which introduced a completely new gameplay style. Many people aren't fond of Lost World, critics and consumers alike, so I'm not entirely sure it'll get a follow up.

Besides, this is Sonic we're talking about. Sonic games rarely keep a formula for very long. Hell, Heroes gameplay only stuck for one game.

That is literally what I just said a few pages back.

• Thumbs Up 1

Welp, whatever happens, I feel like today is the last day of "the way things currently are." Sort of a weird feeling, but whatever's about to happen is just gonna happen. Might as well strap in and get those 3D glasses on.

• Thumbs Up 2