Awoo.

2014 is The Year Of Sonic "& Sports tape" *see post 1*

Badnik Mechanic

The devs are apparently former Naughty Dog members.

Pretty cool stuff.

They just need to hire somebody else to do the in-game models, cause they look proper stupid. Like, honestly terrible. Its not even the designs, its just the models.....I mean what!???

Now, while I personally don't care about the redesigns beyond their terrible in-game representation, what exactly was the purpose of the redesigned character models? I mean, they could have pulled this whole thing off, with the Unleashed ~ present models.......Maybe switch up Amy's outfit to the new one (minus the tape).

Was this necessary?

Nope.

Reboots get tons of attention, it's the best way to force people to look at it as a fresh start, maybe people will be more likely to give it a chance etc.

Anyone else notice on the trailer that Sanzaru seem to be involved with the 3DS version? Their new games in other series seem to be rather well received.

Tails is the only redesign I genuinely like. Everyone else just seem off to me in some manner. That is emphasized even more by the trailer. Sonic's long legs look really weird and Knuckles... well he looks just as weird as he looks on that CGI render. Also this is still in development but the characters aren't anywhere near as expressive as they were previously. Really hoping they fix that since character animations were really excellent in more recent Sonic games. 

Eh, I dunno. This is a lot to take in at once. I always enjoyed Sonic's design for how simplistic and streamlined it was. This is a step away from that. At least other characters are playable now. 

Eh, I'll give it a few days. In a lot of ways this seems more like the direction I wanted Sonic to take. The story seems bigger, more characters are playable and are present in the story. On the other hand the designs are far from what I'd call preferable and it translates into the overall artstyle too. This seems far more like something you'd find in any adventure game than something you'd expect to find in a Sonic game. I'm a bit iffy on the dubstep too but I hope the music will be just as awesome as it has always been. 

Yeah. Lots of conflicting thoughts on this one. Also, really disorganized post but I'm just not sure what to think of this. My apologies. 

Well at least we know what the fin exclusive is, I couldn't see any Xbox or Playstation logos at the end. It looks...pretty good really the models are quite a bit off but it did say that the game was still a WIP and won't necessarily be the same at the release.

Looks like maybe something to do with Angel Island considering knuckles says "this is paradise"

Sonic looks OK. I like the quills and the scarf. The legs look too long and I don't like the shoe design. Blue arms are a bit weird, too.

Knuckles looks bad. His head looks like it was pasted on a  different body. He lost his knuckles and got got metal spike things to replace them. I can't wait for the inevitable episode where he loses them and feels like he lost his identity, thus making the others help him find them =P

Tails looks great. I've been wanting them to add goggles for a while.

Amy looks pretty good, too. I like the new clothes. I hope that pink shade is because of the pic, though.

The game actually looks good. The world looks really nice. The models look awful, though. Is the video only in bad quality or can I simply not fin the button to increase the resolution or is it because of my internet?

Urg I really don't like clothing with buttons but I guess the off-centerness looks stylish and otherwise I adore Amy's design.  Tails looks cute, the accessorised look worked for him in Black Knight and it works for him here.

Omg, the trailer though.  Did I see some 4 player co-op there?  I'm not sure, but the visual style is great, Amy is playable and kicking ass with her Hammer and Sonic's gameplay looks way more Unleashed than it does Lost World so count me the fuck in.

• Thumbs Up 1

I did not expect this at all! It's weird, it's different and I love it! The characters look derpy as hell, but I actually don't mind.

I'm sorry, but while the graphics look neat. The gameplay looks like a total clusterfuck.

Too bad.

Looks like SEGA will have to kill this once its over. Good job its Wii U only.

Then again, maybe they did that on purpose....... to test the market.

Did we look at the same game?

Because this looks nothing like Sonic in any way. Just some generic platformer / beat em up.

Screw this; if we're getting the same Sonic we had before still then call me up in that case, because this all looks like total shiiiiit.

So I suppose you missed all the running on water and swinging and all that shit? XP

Who is the character who says "this is Paradise" in the trailer?

Probably Knuckles.

EDIT: It IS Knuckles.

Made by ex-ND folks?

Yeah, I'm hyping.

Personally I love Sonic for his look and personality more than anything so... I don't mind if they change the gameplay around permanently. If it makes him more successful, so be it.

• Thumbs Up 1

So I suppose you missed all the running on water and swinging and all that shit? XP

That doesn't mean anything. Ratchet and Clank has grinding, that doesn't mean it plays anything like a Sonic game otherwise.

• Thumbs Up 2

Now, while I personally don't care about the redesigns beyond their terrible in-game representation, what exactly was the purpose of the redesigned character models? I mean, they could have pulled this whole thing off, with the Unleashed ~ present models.......Maybe switch up Amy's outfit to the new one (minus the tape).

Was this necessary?

Nope.

This is what worries me the most. If this is supposed to be a permanent change than I don't know if I'll have confidence in Sega again, since this is litterally the same route Crash and Spyro went to try and make them feel relevant again, i.e be different for the sake of being different to grab peoples attention.

That doesn't mean anything. Ratchet and Clank has grinding, that doesn't mean it plays anything like a Sonic game otherwise.

Fair enough, but I mean... it doesn't look like it plays contrary to Sonic either.

Well at least we know what the fin exclusive is, I couldn't see any Xbox or Playstation logos at the end. It looks...pretty good really the models are quite a bit off but it did say that the game was still a WIP and won't necessarily be the same at the release.

Looks like maybe something to do with Angel Island considering knuckles says "this is paradise"

After Tails say "Check it out, a secret room", it looks like there's an echidna statue in the back, so probably!

• Thumbs Up 1

Fuck sake literally just as I gathered myself together the damn gameplay trailer comes up and I'm flipping my shit again.

And my god do the designs look bad in the footage.  They look great in the art and solid in the CG but they're so weird ingame.  But honestly, that's my one issue.  This looks hype.  Fingers crossed the gameplay holds up.  It's very early to assume and it looks like there's potential to be a lot to it so I'll reserve full judgment.  Nonetheless let's mark the checklist:

- 4 potentially playable characters?  Check

- Back to areas that are both stylised but still impressive in scope and give the impression of tangible worlds?  Check

- Skirllex?  Check

You know what?  This reminded me of the PS3 Ratchet and Clank games when I watched the trailer.  Hoping at has the same sort of involvement in terms of character interaction and story, that's a very good thing.

Also, shoutouts to Amy being the only one to land that fall, and landing like a total badass. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Fair enough, but I mean... it doesn't look like it plays contrary to Sonic either.

Considering how it looks to be focused on big areas you beat up people at, yeah it really does.

God I really don't like the looks of this at all.

And the art style.. don't even get me properly started. I'd expect this from a Crash Bandicoot game (which there I'd be fine with), but not here. This style doesn't fit Sonic none of this fits Sonic jesus christ this is terrible

• Thumbs Up 3

I really hope it does, because I might actually forgive the Buffles look.

But guys let's at least hold some skepticism. I mean, the trailer looks decent, but I said similar things about Lost World before I tested the controls.

My guess is this is being designed to appeal to the Skylanders Crowd and for that I give them no disrespect.  I imagine that the next multiplatform game being worked on in the background is still part of their ongoing efforts to revive the classic Sonic feel a la Lost World's and Generations' attempts.

It's not that I hate progress, I just like Eggman so much the way he is right now so I'm less open to him being redone as opposed to the other characters, to whom I'm fairly indifferent to.

Me asking why you hate progress was sarcasm. I'm sorry. xD

Oooooooo, I'm liking those new designs already!

Pff, nah.

Knuckles was made out of toothpicks and Amy's dress was way too short, at least these designs got it right this time.

Knuckles' bigger upper body and boxing gloves were all you needed to communicate his strength. And his legs are still noodly; much worse than the old design.

And ignoring the fact that the Amy's old dress was wide-brimmed, this new dress is still short hence why she's wearing pants underneath. Also, her head size doesn't fit the proportions of the new body.

No.

I just want to be assured this isn't the series' permanent style from now on. If that gets approved for us then I'll be at least 50% less critical and feeling downright awful.

• Thumbs Up 2